Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

:laffo: 3 of the marines are copy-pasted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

can I ally them with, say, my orks in the meantime? since those are most of what I have

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Omar al-Bishie posted:

can I ally them with, say, my orks in the meantime? since those are most of what I have

You can, but they won't work as cohesively as Imperial allies. Also, you can take scions as elite choices in a regular guard army. They're just stormtroopers by a different name.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Favorite modern
Favorite classic

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I love the leaping warhound titan in the background on the 2E box art. I think the Alaitoc guardians holding the trench line is my favorite oldschool hams art.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
In the Grim Darkness of the future, there is only war. And war...

War never changes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

In the Grim Darkness of the future, there is only war. And war...

War never changes.

Dawn of War and Space Marine must have been godsends to modders

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Not enough Eldar

Back before any old marine could one hand an Avatar without scratching their plot armour

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Most of my favorite 40k art is from John Blanche. Here's what got me into this whole silly thing, the 3rd ed box cover:

This is one of the pictures that come to mind whenever I think of 40k, but then I started during 3rd so... Seriously though, John Blanche's stuff is legitimately good and he's set the tone for most of 40k. I wish he'd put out more stuff.

SRM posted:

And his conversion guides in the old 2nd ed Chaos codex are a delirious double page spread:

The little comment of "shade gold with green" has actually become a big part of my Night Lords scheme. It gives the gold a really different effect from the typical bright yellow look and I really like it.

Omar al-Bishie posted:

this is my favorite 40k image. always loved the kasrkin, a shame the metal model is out of print. it seems stormtroopers have their own codex now as Militarum Tempestus? Is it any good? Elite non-marine troops always appealed to me.

Whenever I see this image I wish I had started Imperial Guard a long time ago. I'd never do it now for a variety of reasons, but goddamn if they aren't awesome.

Stanyer89 posted:

And for some reason I just think this picture out of the DA book is just bad rear end and wish they had an exact model of him.

Dark Angels have such a good aesthetic sometimes. :allears:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Finished my assault terminators. Next Assault Marines and JumpPack Chaplain.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Uroboros posted:

Finished my assault terminators. Next Assault Marines and JumpPack Chaplain.

Dat some nice looking white. I'm sure it helps that you're painting it over a small and relatively interesting surface rather than a large smooth area, but still, comes off looking nice and clean.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Helps that terminator helmets have a lot of raised areas that kind of make it clear where you should be highlighting, the part I am always unsure of is the "cheek" area. You can see a shallow portion of it that I left unpainted...it seems like the right thing to do.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Moola posted:

This one!

This is one of my all time favorites as well. There are many nice pieces of 40k art in the last few pages, I'll have to dig up some from my hard drive once I get home.

I really enjoy the different styles of 40k art through the ages. The style has changed over time, but I like both the new serious grimdark stuff and the old heavy metal album covers, just for different reasons. The only ones I like ironically are the marines lol and slam sector stuff.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

NTRabbit posted:

Not enough Eldar

Can't post classic space elves without this Gibbons masterpiece (click for huge):

Karl Kopisnky even manages to make old elves look good:

e: Kopinski owns, period.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 7, 2015

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Doctor Borris posted:

Check out this awesome art. Man its SO GOOD. I apologize I coudn't get one without some rear end in a top hat's text on it. Ignore it. So much better then the hack 80s art people are posting.

Here you go.

My favourite 40k images has to be a lot of the stuff from the older Imperial Guard codex:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

adamantium|wang posted:

e: Kopinski owns, period.

I don't get it, where's the boob armor?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

A squad of Catachans clears the jungle of the Emperor's enemies, to the tune of "Fortunate Son"

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

TKIY posted:

What the hell is happening, this thread is suddenly good?!

edit: Why I love Tyranids:

Lictors are still my favourite Tyranid unit. I've got the second ed book purely for the random stories like the one about an Imperial commander opening the blast doors into a compound because a Magus got into his head but my personal favourite is the story about the jungle patrol being picked off by a Lictor. Anyone designing rules for the Lictor should read that bit of fluff before they do anything else.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

This was glorious then and it is glorious now.

I want to see some modern Deathwing done up in this scheme. Checkerboard those chainfists.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
I was racking my brain trying to remember the dark millennium cover. Wesley snipes was a great dark angel.

I can't remember the name of the picture from the older DA codex, it was something like 'the ascension of brother sammiel' and there was a guy holding up a sword with two hooded guys in the background and you could see a the feet of a naked guy but it was obscured by the guy in front. It was perfect, gothic, brooding and open to narrative interpretation, was he a good guy that died, a member of the I forgiven, a new space marine actually awakening following his conversion from being a mere mortal? I cannot find it so far, maybe someone has it stored.

Also, crisp ultramarines look awesome.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
This thread is far too positive.

e: Sorry for the lovely quality of these, I don't know where they're getting them from

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 7, 2015

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

gently caress being rules-legal. I'm building my Riptide with both giant guns, one on each arm. Plus the missile pods. Interesting, if that were somehow legal, it would be abl e to fire all three. It has Mulitracker, but Monstrous Creatures can already fire two guns!

Also I am SUPER ENJOYING Art Time. Makes me remember why I got into 40k in the first place.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 11:44 on May 7, 2015

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I've always liked KR cases but don't want to have to get one case for my ghost ark and night scythe - just two models.

Would the new Crusade case be suitable? I just want something which I can out tomb blades, Scarabs, wraiths, ghost ark and night scythe in. Anyone used it?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

adamantium|wang posted:

This thread is far too positive.

Is this one the special web-only formation? It's alright, though I don't see many people buying 5 knights.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

RESTRICTIONS: NONE

:rolldice:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Eh, it's just front face which is hardly the facing to shoot at in general. Kill the Warlord Knight and the formation is pretty poo poo at 1850 base.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
who buys 3 knights anyway?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
All the picture spam, and no Necrons?

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

LordAba posted:

Is this one the special web-only formation? It's alright, though I don't see many people buying 5 knights.

no, that is not the exclusive formation. and it's 3-5 knights, although one could make a RAW argument for 3 or 5 knights, since it doesn't say optional: 0-2 LOW, it just says 2 LOW.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Soulfucker posted:

who buys 3 knights anyway?

You mean who buys only 3 Knights right? Have you not seen the tourney pictures showing up itt?

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

You mean who buys only 3 Knights right? Have you not seen the tourney pictures showing up itt?

Are you implying that lots of people have more than three Knights? Or nearly no one? I can't recall a pic of multiple knights in this thread but I am sure somebody out there would do such a thing. Maybe it is my psychotic love of GW that makes it hard to interpret the layers of sarcasm.

Also, be sure to rush back to the death thread to make some snarky comments about how lame we all are in the bad thread.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
To 30+ year old me, this art is awful. To 13 year old me, it was the most epic thing ever.
Genestealer Magus rips up the Dark Angel, rips up the Blood Angel, but the Grey Knight? He's taking it, and he is gonna mess. you. up.

After that, it was the Mark Gibbons artwork in every Codex in 2nd Edition.

I mean... Khaela Mensha Motherfuckin' Khaine!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Paul Bonner Orks, bitches:

And the image that caused me to get into an argument with Andy Chambers at Games Day one year:

They're not just backpacks Andy, they are JUMP PACKS!

I took ten of my IG and glued SM packs to them. I also used sleeveless arms and CC weapons and made an IG assault squad. I thought I was pretty clever...

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 7, 2015

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
My favorite piece of modern 40k.

If I could get a poster of that I would.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
To sidetrack from the art for a moment, what does paying for the BattleScribe app get me (other than the satisfaction of supporting the developer?) I'm only going to be a very casual user, so I don't know if any perks were unlocked if I purchased.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You can give units nicknames, and there's a dice calculator. Purchasing is purely a support the developer thing.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You can give units nicknames, and there's a dice calculator. Purchasing is purely a support the developer thing.

You can save common setups as well. That alone has been worth the :10bux:

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Clearly this is the best piece of 40k artwork.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Naramyth posted:

You can save common setups as well. That alone has been worth the :10bux:
Ok, thanks. I was planning on buying anyway, but when I built up some more Play credits. I'm not in a huge rush, since I really don't need it for a 400 point force...

Speaking of, does anyone have the mission pack for the Adepticon Kill Team event this year? I'm wondering what to expect regarding objectives, missions, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Omar al-Bishie posted:

That's unfortunate. Just too easy to kill? What do eldar/crons have to do with it?

Sorry for all these questions I haven't played a game of 40k in years and a ton of people play it in my area so I'm debating getting back into it.
I'll offer a different opinion here. They're a great addition to an IG army I feel. I played a pair of 1850 games with the Ground Assault Formation (3 squads, a command squad, and a commissar, all in Taurox Primes) supported by about 600 points of IG for a firebase, and it was really fun. The fast moving, elite troops kind of feel like playing an Imperial Dark Eldar. Running pure stormtroopers would probably have some issues since they won't have much long range firepower, anti air, or real staying power.

I absolutely adore the Armageddon art, and it kills me that there isn't a massive poster of it:

• Locked thread