Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Pffffbbbbt that dumb mask Maseo was wearing, ahahahahahahaha holy poo poo

This episode was terrible. So, so terrible. Mainly because they dangled the "kill everyone in Team Arrow off" carrot right in front of my face, when I know it will be perpetually out of reach. This show is just comically awful now. Even Barry can't hope to save the finale.

ArrowSeason3.jpg

Darke GBF fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
How did they think that made for a good cliffhanger ending - oooooh everyone has been given the virus and they are dead. Apart from the fact that they have spent the last 3 episodes in the terrible Hong Kong flashbacks showing how people with the virus die, in pain spewing blood everywhere team Arrow just fell asleep. Hmmm, I wonder, maybe they had already been given the antidote and someone subbed in knockout gas or something. Next week when they wake up it will be a massive shock I am sure.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Should just make a drinking game for every time after an Arrow episode where people come in here making GBS threads on the episodes.

Anyway, here's the full trailer for the finale.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrCwIUEIWb0

Thea not wasting any time getting into that suit.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Scyantific posted:

Should just make a drinking game for every time after an Arrow episode where people come in here making GBS threads on the episodes.

Anyway, here's the full trailer for the finale.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrCwIUEIWb0

Thea not wasting any time getting into that suit.

Why did they even bother having the "team arrow is all dead" cliffhanger when it just shows them all up and about in the trailer

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The fight in the Nanda Parbat gunrange, and the whole scene with Ray taking out the plane looked so cheap you could have mistaken it for scenes from a 90s episode of Power Rangers.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

TyrantWD posted:

The fight in the Nanda Parbat gunrange, and the whole scene with Ray taking out the plane looked so cheap you could have mistaken it for scenes from a 90s episode of Power Rangers.

The CW is really stretching its budget with their sfx, and I can believe that they're skimping near the end for a huge finish. The Flash has been amazing with their effects and the recent Grodd appearance was spectacular and shockingly well done for the most part. I've seen big budget network shows that don't do it as well as the CW. Just look at Agents of Shield and some of the embarrassingly bad effects they've had. Networks without a lot know how to stretch a dollar but the big ones just dump the money on the show and the producers get the cheapest option they can.

With the rise of the CW DC shows and their insane success in the key demos, 10 years from now I think TV execs and media heads will point to this era as proof of how David could still beat Goliath.

Bodzilla
Mar 11, 2007

Beep beep, motherf*cker!

Keeku posted:

I also liked Merlyn's betrayal of Oliver in this episode.

Could be another ruse by Al-Sahim Oliver and it's all part of the plan. Replace the alpha/omega vial with sleeping gas, make Ra's think they're dead, get married, finish plan.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

BrianWilly posted:

Felicity: I STILL BELIEVE IN OLIVER IS GOOD

ten minutes later

Felicity: I REFUSE TO BELIEVE OLIVER IS STILL GOOD

I think the worst part about this is that both Laurel and Diggle have longer and deeper relationships with Oliver. Felicity didn't even get into the gang because of him, but because his father was nice to her. She lusted after him when he was doing the ninja ladder, then slept with him once after a couple of years. I mean, Laurel was his Fiancée, she knew him better than any of them. Felicity was basically a nice guy who did tech stuff for Ollie. Didn't she carry a printer over to his club at one point?

And yeah, Laurel learned from Nyssa, but she's still holding that stick backwards.

And here's my new fan theory that is better than the original story: the Undertaking was part of Malcolm's initiation to be the next Ra's.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My Q-Face posted:

I think the worst part about this is that both Laurel and Diggle have longer and deeper relationships with Oliver. Felicity didn't even get into the gang because of him, but because his father was nice to her. She lusted after him when he was doing the ninja ladder, then slept with him once after a couple of years. I mean, Laurel was his Fiancée, she knew him better than any of them. Felicity was basically a nice guy who did tech stuff for Ollie. Didn't she carry a printer over to his club at one point?

And yeah, Laurel learned from Nyssa, but she's still holding that stick backwards.

And here's my new fan theory that is better than the original story: the Undertaking was part of Malcolm's initiation to be the next Ra's.

His plan secretly involved getting people to evacuate everyone from that district, destroying that block with no casualties. Afterwards he would become the next Ra's, dissolve the league and actually rebuild the district just like he planned, creating a better place for everyone for free.

Oliver fails at stopping the destruction of Starling City. Quentin was right, the Arrow was the villain all along.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Elentor posted:

His plan secretly involved getting people to evacuate everyone from that district, destroying that block with no casualties. Afterwards he would become the next Ra's, dissolve the league and actually rebuild the district just like he planned, creating a better place for everyone for free.

Oliver fails at stopping the destruction of Starling City. Quentin was right, the Arrow was the villain all along.

Gentrification wins. Everyone wins(except the poors)

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Longbaugh01 posted:

I bet they had to clear it with Microsoft before they ever destroyed one on the show.

The lastest Supernatural episode almost needed Guest Starring Microsoft Surface added to the opening credits but they also smashed one to pieces in a dingy motel bathtub. It's nice to think the writers might be able to fight back against blatant product placement.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Man I thought that episode was good. I love Merlyn so much and I can't believe he has been involved in it the whole time, stunning.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Why doesn't the league use guns? Diggle was killing them by the dozens.

During that whole fight scene I was thinking, "You know, if all of Team Arrow used guns, they would have made short work of the League. Why is Diggle the only person with any brains on this team?"

I also get more and more annoyed with the relationships on this show, which are becoming more and more CW-like.

"Hey Felicity, here's this awesome guy who will do anything for you, that shares your interest and values you as a person, but no, go ahead and keep lusting after the other guy who is borderline abusive to you. Don't worry, we'll even remove the nice guy from the show and have him give away his company, that should make things easier for you!"

"Hey Thea! We'll let you find your nice-guy boyfriend who cares about you, but then we'll just have him abandon you again because everybody abandons you, holy gently caress do the writers hate you and we never use the scenes filmed with your boyfriend in the actual show anyways."

The last part disappoints me, because at this point I think I would rather watch a show where Roy and Thea fight crime as a couple, but that's just not dramatic enough.

Are the writers for the Flash the same as the ones for Arrow? Because I'm enjoying Flash much more than Arrow now.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Is Arrow out of sync with The Flash now? I assumed the weird schedule they had was to get things in sync. But Flash airs first, and in the preview for The Flash next week Oliver shows up to help Barry. But that kind of makes no sense if this is where Oliver's story is right now. So he's going to go from getting married to helping out Barry, then back to Starling City to do the whole League thing?

What?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Flash has 2 episodes left, Arrow has 1.

They never fixed it after that break a little ways back. Flash took 4 weeks off, Arrow only 3. So Arrow ended up an episode ahead.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Aphrodite posted:

Flash has 2 episodes left, Arrow has 1.

They never fixed it after that break a little ways back. Flash took 4 weeks off, Arrow only 3. So Arrow ended up an episode ahead.

Pretty much. I remember reading something from the show runner to this affect and how it irritated him to no end.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Calling it now: Oliver has secretly been inoculating the team to the Omega for weeks without any foreshadowing whatsoever.

Sorry if someone already made this prediction.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

hi liter posted:

Calling it now: Oliver has secretly been inoculating the team to the Omega for weeks without any foreshadowing whatsoever.

Either that, or it's as simple as Oliver switched out the vials. With knockout gas or something.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Elentor posted:

I feel like it's this, and the only reason he bites his tongue every time one of Team Arrow accuses him of being a murdering sociopath with blood on his hands is because they screwed up his original plan and caused all the excess deaths. He keeps going on about how he is the one who has to deal with that guilt, but his greater purpose of destroying the league is what keeps him from killing himself..

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He switched it out with mirakuru.

Team Super Arrow is about to stomp all over the League.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

You said mirakuru, not that he gave them guns.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

That would be so good and hilarious.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

hi liter posted:

Yes other people had made that prediction.
You don't need to spoiler speculation.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Oh wait...

Merlyn was Ra's the whole time!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Ray's musical theme might be the best thing about the show. It has that 1950's optimistic World of Tomorrow vibe and it works so well for the ATOM.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

My Q-Face posted:

Oh wait...

Merlyn was Ra's the whole time!

i want to believe

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

imperialparadox posted:

During that whole fight scene I was thinking, "You know, if all of Team Arrow used guns, they would have made short work of the League. Why is Diggle the only person with any brains on this team?"

I also get more and more annoyed with the relationships on this show, which are becoming more and more CW-like.

"Hey Felicity, here's this awesome guy who will do anything for you, that shares your interest and values you as a person, but no, go ahead and keep lusting after the other guy who is borderline abusive to you. Don't worry, we'll even remove the nice guy from the show and have him give away his company, that should make things easier for you!"

"Hey Thea! We'll let you find your nice-guy boyfriend who cares about you, but then we'll just have him abandon you again because everybody abandons you, holy gently caress do the writers hate you and we never use the scenes filmed with your boyfriend in the actual show anyways."

The last part disappoints me, because at this point I think I would rather watch a show where Roy and Thea fight crime as a couple, but that's just not dramatic enough.

Are the writers for the Flash the same as the ones for Arrow? Because I'm enjoying Flash much more than Arrow now.

Not to sound like zoux, but do you really think this is something new? The first season devoted a considerable amount of screen time to the love triangle between Ollie, Tommy, and Laurel. Season 2 featured Felicity pining for Oliver while he was in a relationship with Sara.
Season 1 also had Thea's stunningly bad drug-addict arc. Bad writing isn't solely a season 3 issue.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

JohnSherman posted:

Not to sound like zoux, but do you really think this is something new? The first season devoted a considerable amount of screen time to the love triangle between Ollie, Tommy, and Laurel. Season 2 featured Felicity pining for Oliver while he was in a relationship with Sara.
Season 1 also had Thea's stunningly bad drug-addict arc. Bad writing isn't solely a season 3 issue.

Season 3 is just more consistent about it. The writers finally found their groove.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

6-year plan man posted:

Just watching now how is laurel fighting off assassins this is ridiculous.

Laurel's been training with Nyssa, she's leveled up a bit.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Facebook-exclusive preview

Spoilers, obviously

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Barrowman is the best.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Merlyn running a complex multi-level scheme where he betrays everyone at least once is the best thing

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Barrowman is awesome and hey look it's Barry. Very curious how that's gonna turn out. Is Ra's gonna Sword the Flash?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
It baffles me that people are legit upset at the ending making it look like Team Arrow was going to die. You know they're not going to on a show like this. Felicity could find herself facing a hundred Mirakuru League assassins with Earthquake machines powered by the Alpha and Omega virus and she'll make it out because she has plot armor as a main character. It's not Game of Thrones. Any situation they're put in is going to be resolved, so why is this one any different than any time they're kidnapped or attacked by Slade or any number of absurd situations? No one anywhere ever thought they were going to die.

Routh continues to be fun on screen though. I hope he'll visit both shows next season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mortanis posted:

It baffles me that people are legit upset at the ending making it look like Team Arrow was going to die.

Yeah it's almost like they are looking for things to bitch about, huh.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Mortanis posted:

It baffles me that people are legit upset at the ending making it look like Team Arrow was going to die. You know they're not going to on a show like this. Felicity could find herself facing a hundred Mirakuru League assassins with Earthquake machines powered by the Alpha and Omega virus and she'll make it out because she has plot armor as a main character. It's not Game of Thrones. Any situation they're put in is going to be resolved, so why is this one any different than any time they're kidnapped or attacked by Slade or any number of absurd situations? No one anywhere ever thought they were going to die.

Which is why using these moments as cliffhangers is dumb. Obviously they aren't going to kill off the entire main cast, so ending an episode with them "dying" is just a lazy (and pointless) way to build tension for the last episode. The same goes for Ollie getting stabbed during the mid-season finale.

zoux posted:

Yeah it's almost like they are looking for things to bitch about, huh.

Are you having trouble breathing up there on your pedestal? I mean, gently caress, I think some of the criticism of this season has been excessive, but there have been serious failings from a plot standpoint and it's really juvenile to write it off with "those pesky goons just want to tear everything down."

Baronash fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 7, 2015

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The "someone DIED" cliffhangers are complete and utter garbage at this point just because how how many deaths they've already faked this season. It's about as bad as Felicity's crap, and entertains approximately nobody.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I find it entertaining. I know they're not going to die so I find entertainment in figuring out what the actual situation is and how the plot is going to change from it. This one is likely (hopefully) better than "and then they were saved by Deus Ex Machina walking onto the screen". It was likely all part of Oliver's plan, including Malcolm's "betrayal" to Ra's, so my entertainment comes from trying to find out what the real game is.

:shrug:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Mortanis posted:

I find it entertaining. I know they're not going to die so I find entertainment in figuring out what the actual situation is and how the plot is going to change from it. This one is likely (hopefully) better than "and then they were saved by Deus Ex Machina walking onto the screen". It was likely all part of Oliver's plan, including Malcolm's "betrayal" to Ra's, so my entertainment comes from trying to find out what the real game is.

:shrug:

Arrow is already far past the point at which "character X wasn't actually dead!" ceases to be an interesting plot choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I hate how the previews spoil Olivers big reveal with Ra's. That kinda seems like a critical moment that will have almost no impact now.

• Locked thread