Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Something about the FFB lining up with the camera shake in this. It gives me a better road feel, and controll that I haven't had in other sims.

I'm so happy right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Really hope they work on VR menus. While Assetto Corsa's menu system isn't the best, the driving is rendered to it's own window, leaving the menu on my monitor and rendering the game to the headset.

Needing to run a stream to see the menu is a pain and the only thing I've tested that needed this type of work around.

Otherwise the game is decent in VR, but my gtx 780 is getting a workout and it's no where near ultra settings. Oh and there is some weird big with shadows.

Karts feel really cut throat. I muscled my wins and almost feel sorry for the ai.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I need to tweak my force feedback settings I think. I've got the wheel weight feeling right but the vibration from bumps and kerbs could be higher. I can't really figure out what setting controls just the vibration force.

I have tire force set to 200 in the calibration and force feedback set to 65 in the wheel sings and everything feels great except weak bumps and kerbs.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Yeah, uh, this thing is pretty drat far from simulation. Unless some of these vehicles are using tires made of Play-Dohİ, there's way too many situations where you lose grip on a turn for... fuckall reasoning.

Now, I'm tempted to think it's from awful control choices- the game seems to have zero respect for ramping up throttle unless you're so utterly soft on it that it just figures "OH WELL THAT MEANS ZERO TRACTION" 80% of the time.

This poo poo is rough.

Y'know what, gently caress it, lets get thorough.

• First and foremost, whoever the UI designer on this is really, really misunderstands how UI design works. There's zero clarity of information. Zero consistency. Zero information compartmentalization. Basic, obvious, old-as-gently caress solutions are nonexistent(literally no access to an options screen while racing? Are you for real?).
  • Cars, Karts, everything seems to lose grip for seemingly no reason randomly. How? Why? gently caress if we know. No information is given, no sound implications, no visual implications, nothing. Try taking a turn 20 different ways, you're as likely to gently caress up on the 21st as you were on the first. It's incredibly inconsistent.
  • The controls, in general, seem to either have been obsessed with a wheel and pedals that give resistance(while forgetting that gamepads exist), or were designed in a way that simply does not mesh with how real vehicles work. Here's a hint: If I mash my foot on the pedal, that doesn't mean the tires instantly spin faster. They've gotta work up to it, genius.

I mean, what in the hell is going on? Do you need to hugely modify your controls to not be utter poo poo? Why is seemingly everything designed without a single iota given to usability? Was nothing learned from the last 15 years of racing sims?

It isn't awful, as when it nails it, the game really nails it. But the inconsistency in quality is just so pervasive that it's hard to not feel just plain jarring.

quaunaut fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 7, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Sounds like you're losing grip because you're to agressive on the throttle?

What sims are you comparing this to?

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Norns posted:

Sounds like you're losing grip because you're to agressive on the throttle?

What sims are you comparing this to?

Gran Turismo, Forza, Assetto Corza, etc.

And being aggressive on the throttle hasn't ever given me an issue like this before in any situation, especially with traction control turned on.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

quaunaut posted:

[*] Cars, Karts, everything seems to lose grip for seemingly no reason randomly. How? Why? gently caress if we know. No information is given, no sound implications, no visual implications, nothing. Try taking a turn 20 different ways, you're as likely to gently caress up on the 21st as you were on the first. It's incredibly inconsistent.

Have you tried viewing active telemetry while you drive to see how your wheel and pedals are responding, along with steering input and g force? To me PCars feels more "real" than iRacing, so maybe it's something to do with your setup. I had to gently caress with force feedback for some time to get any sort of feel I was happy with. The default settings were incredibly twitchy. You also need to adjust fuel loads and setups remember. If you're doing open drives you typically start with a lot of fuel, possibly full - I haven't checked all the cars.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Lots of the reviews make the comment that you need to mess with controls to get it to behave.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Diet Crack posted:

Have you tried viewing active telemetry while you drive to see how your wheel and pedals are responding, along with steering input and g force? To me PCars feels more "real" than iRacing, so maybe it's something to do with your setup. I had to gently caress with force feedback for some time to get any sort of feel I was happy with. The default settings were incredibly twitchy.

I'm on an XBox One controller. There are things that don't seem to make very much sense with it, that seem buggy- for example, coming out of the pits to start a Qualifying session, if you're all the way down on the gas, the moment you have manual control you get an instantaneous roar- not the kind you'd get if you mashed the throttle, but the kind that signals an error or bug of some kind.

If there's better control settings for this controller, I'd love to hear them. Otherwise, I might persist in this, but wow am I disappointed.

Edit: Hmm. And apparently, doing certain things the game doesn't expect makes it freak out pretty hard. Tried some recommended controller settings(and wow were they different from default), and while they worked pretty alright, at the end of the practice run I was doing I first ran into a wall, then ran in a solid circle, full throttle, full right turn.

Suddenly, the game starts stuttering a bunch(and I way overpower my settings, haven't bothered to test settings yet), sound starts stuttering, then cuts out, comes back replaying the same loop for about 3 seconds, then is gone entirely. Now it's like my FPS is limited to about 5. It's alright, as I popped back out and restarted the game and it seems fine, but yeesh.

quaunaut fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 7, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I dunno that's plaguing you, but the game plays like a dream on a dual shock 4. The car feedback is utterly sublime. Assetto Corsa feels much like PCARS save for less grip. I can get out of bad situations easier on pcars.

I've removed the throttle and braking deadzones and increased control filtering by a notch or two. Using control mode 2.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I HATE karts! They handle like crap, I think I'm gonna start a new career and skip them both.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The sudden loss of control while cornering when playing with a gamepad probably stems from the tire model, which simulates the warping and buckling of the carcass under load, which results in grip loss. When driving on the edge, there isn't much leeway on a tire in that regard, the same time a gamepad isn't a precision control compared to a wheel (twiddly thumbstick vs nearly three full turns from lock to lock), which also gives force feedback early enough to let you react accordingly. Overshoot with the turn in, the stressed tire thanks you by skidding off track. Finally on top of that, the nature of it being a game makes people push the cars more than they'd in real life, minimizing the headroom.

--edit: Additionally, the caster in the front wheels will straighten or countersteer for you, if your rear breaks out or you understeer, because it feeds into the FFB of your wheel, which will turn the itself for you if you let it go. As in real life, however another disadvantage for the gamepad, which will pull the tires just straight if you let go of the stick, causing more grief on the car control.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 11:21 on May 7, 2015

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010

Anime_Otaku posted:

I HATE karts! They handle like crap, I think I'm gonna start a new career and skip them both.

Erm, I realize sense of handling is quite personal but are you sure your settings are good? I find the karts ( both the One and the Super kart ) to handle like a dream and I'm really going to miss them once that part of my zero to hero career is done.

Having a blast so far, defiantly a bit more forgiving then Assetto which for a rookie like myself is a very good thing.

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

I actually thought the Karts were amazing - when I was using a wheel. With a 360 controller though they are woeful, hateful things that will murder you and your family at any time.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
The karts are insanely fiddly with a controller but in a way that's just absolutely hilarious to me.

e: Can't wait for some goon kart racing.

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010
Dear christ I just turned on my Edtracker and switched to helmet cam... Superkarts are terrifying!

Goon Kart sounds like a hoot.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
I found the karts very squirrelly with the DS4 at first, but a managed to adjust enough to get a perfect season in the Kart 1 Championship. Also definitely found it was worth it to up to lap count to make them seem more like a real race, the default of 2/3 for Karts seems ridiculously short, especially when you have sub-minute lap times.

Does anyone know if there's a bug with the pit crew radio? They seem to pipe up randomly in races, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for when they do.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005
The secret to the 125 karts is to bump the front tire pressure up 0.2 bar and never lift off the throttle past corner entry

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Mootallica posted:

I actually thought the Karts were amazing - when I was using a wheel. With a 360 controller though they are woeful, hateful things that will murder you and your family at any time.

I'm on the Xbox One using the controller, I'm not capable of using a wheel, especially with pedals. I just can't get a hang of the cornering speed in particular, either I go too fast and under steer off, go to slow and oversteer or all but come to a stop.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I can't get the game to recognise the throttle pedal on my Driving Force GT :(

The pedal works in game controller calibration within Windows but the game doesn't recognise it at all. It recognises the brake fine. There's a clutch option but this wheel doesnt have one, so....I'm confused.

Edit: fixed - it was assigned to the wrong axis for some reason

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 12:11 on May 7, 2015

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010
There's a damned tree at Snetterton that looks just like a zombie from Castlevania about to pounce me right before T1. So far it's distracted me to the point where I've missed my apex so badly I've gone off track 3 times. SCREW YOU ZOMBIE TREE! :(

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Since the WMD forums are hidden and don't allow new users, is there anywhere that's compiled the best wheel settings and recommendations for the game?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Over the years I have come to realise that:

Arcade = everything works
Sim = gently caress around with controller settings for hours

The net result is you get to drive cars around, I'm starting to think sims are redundant.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Is there a decent guide to what the various controller configurations are?

It's taken me 2hrs of blindly fiddling to get something approaching comfortable.

I've tried googling but nobody seems to know what controller input mode means, ffs.

Doesn't help that the WMD forums are locked down either.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

peter gabriel posted:

The net result is you get to drive cars around, I'm starting to think sims are redundant.

Burnout Paradise still has the best driving model and had the best car collision model until BeamNG.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 7, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Aishan posted:

I found the karts very squirrelly with the DS4 at first, but a managed to adjust enough to get a perfect season in the Kart 1 Championship. Also definitely found it was worth it to up to lap count to make them seem more like a real race, the default of 2/3 for Karts seems ridiculously short, especially when you have sub-minute lap times.

Does anyone know if there's a bug with the pit crew radio? They seem to pipe up randomly in races, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for when they do.

Seriously do that, 2-lap kart races are way too short. 5/7 laps are much better. Though once I had a handle on the handling of the 125cc karts I was reliably lapping everyone. I'm having huge fun with the karts and I hope they release more kart stuff, also the opponent AI is really great. I had a 5 lap battle for first with one kart because they actually blocked my overtakes and just turned to nudge me off line if I tried to take in a corner. Can't wait to get to the open wheel stuff because open wheel racing that isn't F1 is always a barrel of fun.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Illuminated Rodent posted:

There's a damned tree at Snetterton that looks just like a zombie from Castlevania about to pounce me right before T1. So far it's distracted me to the point where I've missed my apex so badly I've gone off track 3 times. SCREW YOU ZOMBIE TREE! :(

I think that is actually a real tree?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

Redundant for you. I find arcade racers dreadfully boring now. (Forza Horizon 2 is still alright )

When I get home from work I'll try a contollers for a bit. But my G27 didn't take hours of setup.

I could see why carts with a controller would blow though. They are really twitchy with a wheel, but controll really well. But I'm generally using really small inputs since they have a reduced turning radius vs a regular car.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yaos posted:

Burnout Paradise still has the best driving model and had the best car collision model until BeamNG.

Everything about the way that game drove was just so drat satisfying. Why haven't they made another one, again? (No, the new NFS games in "association" with Criterion don't count.)

Comma Chameleon
Apr 30, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

Probably because the "typical" sim crowd loves things to be overcomplicated and unapproachable, Spending hours tweaking .ini files to get the handing to match their preconceived notions of how a racing car handles is exactly what they want. It also provides them a high horse from which they can dismiss anyone who questions the authenticity because that person obviously didn't take the time (hours) to gently caress with files and settings.

PCARS changes that by being simulation and also easy as gently caress to configure, so of course the typical crowd is already dismissing this game as console trash for reasons such as "The cars feel wooden" and "too much grip" and obviously the multiple professional racers who tested the game extensively through it's lifespan and posted detailed logs of that testing on the development forum are incompetent/paid off/never played it/pr stunt/etc.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Comma Chameleon posted:

Probably because the "typical" sim crowd loves things to be overcomplicated and unapproachable, Spending hours tweaking .ini files to get the handing to match their preconceived notions of how a racing car handles is exactly what they want. It also provides them a high horse from which they can dismiss anyone who questions the authenticity because that person obviously didn't take the time (hours) to gently caress with files and settings.

PCARS changes that by being simulation and also easy as gently caress to configure, so of course the typical crowd is already dismissing this game as console trash for reasons such as "The cars feel wooden" and "too much grip" and obviously the multiple professional racers who tested the game extensively through it's lifespan and posted detailed logs of that testing on the development forum are incompetent/paid off/never played it/pr stunt/etc.

I like that I can press the go button and the cars go vroom, which is really all I want from a racing game. Being able to adjust tire pressure and poo poo is great to have though if I ever felt like I needed it though, and I am eternally greatful for a corner/speed indicator option that isn't that loving line on the track that every racer has now on by default.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Comma Chameleon posted:

Who's saying this poo poo?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I think my problem is conditioning by other sims, regarding handling.
I usually first load up Laguna Seca to see how things are, as I am used to iRacing and Assetto Corsas versions and so far this is terrible, floaty, slidy and lovely.
However - this is the big disclaimer - I understand that this may be down to settings and the aforementioned conditioning by other games.
I will give it a lot more time tonight, I am sure things will turn out well as the game has been really well received and there must be a reason for that.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
I'm an idiot simpleton who prefers Macs for computing and consoles for gaming. Is there a sizeable contingent of PS4 owners here who will be picking up Project Cars?

If so, I'll have to dust off my old racing game fandom, pick up a copy, subscribe to PSN and see what the fuss is about. My PSN is 'hellospaceman' if anybody wants to add me in the meantime.

Hello Spaceman fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 7, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

I think my problem is conditioning by other sims, regarding handling.
I usually first load up Laguna Seca to see how things are, as I am used to iRacing and Assetto Corsas versions and so far this is terrible, floaty, slidy and lovely.
However - this is the big disclaimer - I understand that this may be down to settings and the aforementioned conditioning by other games.
I will give it a lot more time tonight, I am sure things will turn out well as the game has been really well received and there must be a reason for that.

Honestly before I got my wheel calibrated correctly I kinda felt the same way. Once I did that, everything feels better than the games you listed.

Obviously this is subjective. And I'm fairly new to hardcore sims. But I do really enjoy iRacing and AC. But Project Cars is my jam now.

(I did 16 half length cart races last night, save me)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Norns posted:

Honestly before I got my wheel calibrated correctly I kinda felt the same way. Once I did that, everything feels better than the games you listed.

Obviously this is subjective. And I'm fairly new to hardcore sims. But I do really enjoy iRacing and AC. But Project Cars is my jam now.

I get the vibe that everything will turn out awesome, the quality is dripping off the screen so I do have high hopes

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So this friends bullshit works via Steam? I haven't played in ages, about to boot it up.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Norns posted:

Can you post what your wheel settings are? Do you get vibration when you go off track from grass/sand/kerbs? I love this game and I have the wheel weight just right, but the vibration is really weak so I want to try to find a setting that works. The Steam forums for the game are littered with trolls, and most of the FFB tuning threads on various forums around the internet are from 4 years ago.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

GutBomb posted:

Can you post what your wheel settings are? Do you get vibration when you go off track from grass/sand/kerbs? I love this game and I have the wheel weight just right, but the vibration is really weak so I want to try to find a setting that works. The Steam forums for the game are littered with trolls, and most of the FFB tuning threads on various forums around the internet are from 4 years ago.

Yeah this is what I need help with, exactly the same thing.
Going off track currently feels like the car has become a hovercraft, I'm using a G27 so nothing exotic either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah this is what I need help with, exactly the same thing.
Going off track currently feels like the car has become a hovercraft, I'm using a G27 so nothing exotic either.

I've been reading the forums some more and apparently "btw in terms of surface bumps etc the forces are there, theyre the z parameter, try messing w/ it and/or the master spindle setting"

I'll mess with the Z parameters when I get home and see if i can increase the vibration force without making the wheel heavy.

• Locked thread