Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

After the DAF posting I feel like we need a new thread title

More poo poo that pisses you off: I hang out with some girls at a con

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Dick Trauma posted:

I wrote a Filemaker DB that holds all my hardware and software. Each software license can be linked to a machine so I can open a machine's entry in the db and see all the software attached to it, then click on the software and be taken to the entry in the software table.

Works great when you have hordes of single user licenses.

Dick Trauma posted:

I wrote a Filemaker DB that holds all my hardware and software.

Dick Trauma posted:

I wrote a Filemaker DB

:negative:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

He could be using excel?

I have a client that uses a custom (read: they paid a consultant to design it for them) filemaker db for their project time tracking. It has been rock solid, no problems whatsoever for the last 8 years. It's just a total pain in the rear end to install on new computers, and I am not looking forward to replacing that server.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

dox posted:

The only way I have been able to manage 2013 retail (H&B, H&S) is to make a spreadsheet for each client with the serial number of the machine and the actual "CD key" that is listed as a "Product Key" within the office.com/setup dashboard. Then activate with slmgr.vbs. The license is tied to the hardware anyway. It also doesn't add the newest key added to the top or the bottom of the list, so you have to make sure that all of the existing products added are already in a spreadsheet/document. And you can only add somewhere between 20-40 keys per account.

I pretty much just buy Home & Business keycards and log the product key paired with the machine's asset tag. Installation is pretty much log into the dedicated Microsoft account I made for this, punch in the code, download the top-most link and away you go. The only beef is the rare occasion where a phone activation is needed, or once where I had to do a re-install and guess which copy I was using from a vague list which didn't include any reference or code for product checking.

Maybe I just need convincing but I just don't "Get" O365, SaaS is quite a hard sell at my place as well.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Filemaker is a fine light to medium duty db. It's easy to work with and not completely retarded to figure out.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Dick Trauma posted:

Works great when you have hordes of single user licenses.

I don't suppose there is a template you can share with me?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

meh, I did the same in Access a decade ago.

..as far as I know it still lives on at my old place of work as an MS SQL DB with a web frontend.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Just got told we can't use the cloud because "The Chinese have missiles in the sky, higher than ours, and they are just waiting to take out manufacturing."

Ahhhh I love having a senile 72 year old founder making decisions.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Bob Morales posted:

Just got told we can't use the cloud because "The Chinese have missiles in the sky, higher than ours, and they are just waiting to take out manufacturing."

Tell him that missiles will pass through clouds harmlessly, so your services are safer there than in your factory which will make the missile explode.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bob Morales posted:

That's a really deep metapho- oh wait he was being literal wasn't he.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

There's nothing wrong with FileMaker. I've been using it off and on since 2000 and compared to the shitshow that is every version of Access it's easy to use for those that have modest db needs.

RadicalR posted:

I don't suppose there is a template you can share with me?

I'm happy to put an empty copy online somewhere. It can store users, hardware, software and cellphones, and if you're familiar with FM it should be easy for you to improve on my fumblings.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Sheep posted:

The question then becomes what do we do with our existing 50ish H&B licenses? Can we import them into a new VLK scheme for $zero?

Edit: also it turns out one of our local vendors has been supplying grey market licenses, woop best Wednesday ever.

Are you getting open value licenses? Do they currently show up on the volume license center website? How would you know if your reseller is just pasting in another companies serial key otherwise?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Potato Alley posted:

I mean I think at this point everyone's aware that you work for them, and having checked it out briefly in the past I don't think you're wrong to claim it has advantages over Quickbooks et al, but it might still be nice if you threw in a brief disclaimer for when you pimp your own product, which you've usually done in past posts and probably why it struck me that you didn't this time. Don't see evol nominating RHEL every time someone says "I need an OS" or Agrikk selling us all on AWS (in fact, I'm more impressed that when I asked what the cattle model does for me he straight up said it's not the best choice for my workloads, which I'd already concluded to myself).

Yeah fair enough, I was pretty tired when I made that post, and figured it was close enough to my last "Xero is a thing" post that I didn't include it.

poo poo pissing me off: the guy on the oncall roster was feeling sick yesterday so I took his shift off of him, turned out to be a real doozy of an evening (when often barely anything happens) to the point where I didn't even get to sit down and eat dinner until 10pm at night. Kept hearing "I'm not even supposed to be here today!" Clerks style running through my head.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Agree that FileMaker can be just fine, for some kinds of database needs. Making a system for maintaining a collection of records is easy. Where it begins failing is when you want to make any kind of aggregation for reporting or analysis, that appeared difficult to impossible. I think the version I've used was 9, and there wasn't any facility for doing real SQL.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
eh wrong thread

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

lampey posted:

Are you getting open value licenses? Do they currently show up on the volume license center website? How would you know if your reseller is just pasting in another companies serial key otherwise?

Our office licenses come on keycards in what appear to be retail boxes and are apparently legit, but our OS licenses are all the same so I'm assuming are open licenses.

Everything has been handled by "that guy who was good with computers" and our local vendors in the past. I've never even heard of the Volume License Center website before so this is pretty new to me as well.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 6, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sonicwalls seem to stop doing RADIUS if you use a shared secret longer than 16 characters. Windows NPS will happily authenticate the client and respond to the Sonicwall, but the Sonicwall doesn't know what the gently caress to do with the response and just throws out a generic error.

gently caress you :argh:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Jesus Christ. My boss spends a full day researching a project about web scraping a mobile site with the technology we already have in place, and ignores the fact that it will require a complete rewrite because we only use a lovely XML parser that doesn't execute JavaScript. This particular mobile site is just box that says, "Enable JavaScript" if you don't have it. How did he not see that?

But wait! It needs to be minimal viable product, so just make it work, Mogomra. Swapping out the XML parser for something like PhantomJS, definitely isn't MVP.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

nielsm posted:

Agree that FileMaker can be just fine, for some kinds of database needs. Making a system for maintaining a collection of records is easy. Where it begins failing is when you want to make any kind of aggregation for reporting or analysis, that appeared difficult to impossible. I think the version I've used was 9, and there wasn't any facility for doing real SQL.

Or there's this position in Silicon Valley that I've had three emails and a phone call about :

A very desperate organization posted:

We have an immediate need to build scripts to replace a scripting tool that will be eliminated. This is critical for Master Data Maintenance within SAP in support of all product launches and sustaining product support. This resource will also help to develop reporting enhancements. We are in need of a data analyst / engineer with advanced scripting and reporting development skills utilizing Applescript, FileMaker, Visual Basic and Advanced Excel skills. Successful candidates will be self-motivated, hardworking, and have a proven track record of getting the job done. Current script experience will be vital in this contractors success. A methodical and structured approach to building automation and general programming is necessary. Solid verbal and written communication skills, teamwork, and organizational skills are also a must. Script experience required. FileMaker experience required. Some knowledge of SAP required. Visual Basic experience required. Excel experience required, Macros experience required.

I wish them the best of luck filling that position. If you're interested, ask for the moon, and a company car. I know who the client is and they can afford it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I have all those skills and have worked in an environment which was loving macro hell...so I don't think so.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Mogomra posted:

Jesus Christ. My boss spends a full day researching a project about web scraping a mobile site with the technology we already have in place, and ignores the fact that it will require a complete rewrite because we only use a lovely XML parser that doesn't execute JavaScript. This particular mobile site is just box that says, "Enable JavaScript" if you don't have it. How did he not see that?

But wait! It needs to be minimal viable product, so just make it work, Mogomra. Swapping out the XML parser for something like PhantomJS, definitely isn't MVP.
Honestly, this shouldn't be that terrible, and won't require a complete rewrite. You can wire up a headless browser like PhantomJS to simulate clicks on the page using the testing framework of your choice, then export the rendered HTML somewhere that you can parse it. If this parsing utility demands an actual URL, you can stick a web service in front of it with a few lines of code.

How are you using an XML parser for screen scraping in 2015, anyway? Almost all websites worth scraping are HTML5, which isn't XML-compatible syntax.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Anti-Virus software. We're switching from Symantec endpoint protection 12 to Kaspersky endpoint security select. Well, first of all, my boss let our SEP license expire before we had purchased licensing for Kaspersky. Then, he went on vacation right after finalizing the order with Kaspersky so the email with the licensing info sat in his inbox until he returned. Now that we've got that all sorted out...Kaspersky wont install because it detects SEP as still being installed on the workstations. Kaspersky removes SEP as part of its own installation process, SEP is gone from add/remove programs, windows bitches about no AV software being installed, but still, Kaspersky fails during install because it is still somehow seeing SEP installed.
I've manually removed SEP, uninstalled it using Symantec's own tools (it leaves behind several hundred registry keys and a 150mb directory on the HD, yep, manually deleted all that. Tried Revo uninstaller too), but still loving Kaspersky somehow detects in. So now I'm stuck in some weird kind of AV limbo where I cant fully remove the old one from rougly 250 workstations and cant install the new one. I'm not even sure who to call and bitch out at this point.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer
poo poo pissing me off: New supervisor had asked me to look in to a new process while he was on vacation. Sure I'm down for researching something new and how it can help us do better work. So I take the better part of the week and read up on it, build a new process flow diagram, and basically figure out how to completely rewrite our entire work process. He gets back and I tell him what I found out and show him the work I did. Apparently its all wrong because that's not how his old company did it and I should have done it their way..... If you didn't want me to form my own thoughts on the process don't tell me to go research X topic. If you want me to do it a certain just tell me do this thing. Its no wonder no one here likes him.

poo poo not pissing me off: I've already been given a new supervisor who is awesome and I should have no problem working with for the foreseeable future.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Anti-Virus software. We're switching from Symantec endpoint protection 12 to Kaspersky endpoint security select. Well, first of all, my boss let our SEP license expire before we had purchased licensing for Kaspersky. Then, he went on vacation right after finalizing the order with Kaspersky so the email with the licensing info sat in his inbox until he returned. Now that we've got that all sorted out...Kaspersky wont install because it detects SEP as still being installed on the workstations. Kaspersky removes SEP as part of its own installation process, SEP is gone from add/remove programs, windows bitches about no AV software being installed, but still, Kaspersky fails during install because it is still somehow seeing SEP installed.
I've manually removed SEP, uninstalled it using Symantec's own tools (it leaves behind several hundred registry keys and a 150mb directory on the HD, yep, manually deleted all that. Tried Revo uninstaller too), but still loving Kaspersky somehow detects in. So now I'm stuck in some weird kind of AV limbo where I cant fully remove the old one from rougly 250 workstations and cant install the new one. I'm not even sure who to call and bitch out at this point.

Have you considered using Process Monitor to find out what the Kaspersky installer is seeing?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
RE: FileMaker, I used to think it was awful too, and then I learned that the reason our implementation was awful is that we were using a version literally eight major releases behind current. It is, of course, also only as good as what you've implemented with it.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Vulture Culture posted:

How are you using an XML parser for screen scraping in 2015, anyway? Almost all websites worth scraping are HTML5, which isn't XML-compatible syntax.

We are aaallll about "MVP"

Throw poo poo at the wall and hope something sticks.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Get an account setup on the kaspersky companyaccount page and file a support request with them and see what they say about it. Use the getsysteminfo utility on one of the affected computers and include that in your ticket, since typically one of the first things their support will ask for is a getsysteminfo report. My guess is that there is probably still a registry entry somewhere out there that kaspersky is seeing that is causing the problem and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if symantec's own tool doesn't clean every last one of them up.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Could Symantec have left something on the boot sector? I had that happen on some home computers a few years ago (using Avast!, I think), which resulted in me doing a clean wipe. I had used the AV's own uninstaller first, though, rather than relying on the new AV solution to remove the old.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Mr. Clark2 posted:

ESET's SmartInstaller gets hung up on pretty much just the mention of 'Norton' or 'Symantec' in the registry. Its the only real complaint I have about the product.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

go3 posted:

ESET's SmartInstaller gets hung up on pretty much just the mention of 'Norton' or 'Symantec' in the registry. Its the only real complaint I have about the product.

It's true we are the southeast eset reseller and we still haven't found a great way to remove all the old avs that's 100% it's annoying.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
ESET is so good you shouldn't even consider anything else.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Gyshall posted:

ESET is so good you shouldn't even consider anything else.

This guy is right

full disclosure: we are an ESET partner

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

go3 posted:

This guy is right

full disclosure: we are an ESET partner

We ran NOD32 at the place I was before this job, and we had users getting spyware on a weekly basis.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Bob Morales posted:

We ran NOD32 at the place I was before this job, and we had users getting spyware on a weekly basis.

sick anecdotal evidence bro, I bet you guys had UAC turned off and standard users added to the local administrators group too

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:argh: Business Intelligence Development Studio :argh:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
For some reason Chrome is just acting up terribly for us lately, corrupting profiles and then refusing to start at all afterwards, often several times a day. We've got a bunch of users who RDP in to a Server 2008 R2 machine and use Chrome, and I've gone so far as to write a batch file called "Reset Chrome" that deletes your user profile and instructed people to run it every time Chrome starts having issues (which is often, sometimes several times a day). We have the same problem on abunch of Windows 7 machines in one of our branches in a completely separate state so it doesn't seem to be a localized issue.

It's doubly confusing because these people do nothing but access our intranet webpages and hit Gmail so I have no idea why Chrome keeps breaking profiles. I'm just about at the point where I'm going to set Chrome to use ephemeral profiles and have everyone sign in to Chrome every single time they login, which I'm sure they will love. Shame there's no policy in the ADM template for Chrome that forces people to hit 'link data' otherwise I'd have no problems flipping that switch right now.

Edit: I'm going to blame McAfee Security Scan Plus and ACT! just to be on the safe side.

Edit2: Good call, apparently:

... it says from a box I am RDP'd into.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 7, 2015

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

NZAmoeba posted:

Xero has some basic CRM functionality called Smart Lists, or you could just use one of the many add-ons available. Then you'd also be using cloud based stuff and never have to manage a crappy local install of an application ever again. It also just happens to be really good accounting software too so that's nice.

Until you guys support importing canadian quickbooks, Xero isn't an option for us.

I'd love proper crm, process, and accounting integration, but it's just not coming together in away I can make work more effectively than what we have, so the disruption form changing over isn't justified.

Sorry.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
Apparently, I don't scream enough either. Or cry buckets of tears and crawl on my knees when I make an error. Our whole team just got to listen to a 10 minute speech on "owning your mistakes" and "no excuses" because I didn't respond passionately/remorsefully when I was told there was a mistake in code I pushed out seven months ago. I did go in and spend ~20 hours fixing it, fixing any side-effects it may have had, and cleaning up anything to the point where it's better than it would have been if I hadn't made said mistake in the first place.

But that's not owning mistakes.

drat it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So let's talk about IPv6.

We support IPv6. Our team is trying to go whole hog. The network side is... iffy on IPv6. Our IP management tool has no knowledge of IPv6. I don't think we're running DHCPv6. The network team can manually assign IPv6 addresses to host names. So we have one vlan that is fully dual stacked, with both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. To get one of these IPv6 addresses:

Find the MAC address pre assigned in our IP management tool (it also handles DHCP). Give your machine that Mac address (hope it's virtual!). Turn off IPv6 privacy extensions, and the Mac Addresses and assigned IPv6 addresses have been constructed in such a way that the client will auto assign itself an IP based on its Mac address, and that IP is what is in DNS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

With an IPv6 LAN there is a benefit of using mDNS so you don't have to do silly things like turning off privacy extensions. But then just use DHCP6 instead of SLAAC?