Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Also gently caress whoever decided that getting a different culture should destroy all the retinue buildings. Why the gently caress does it matter?? Just change them to the other culture or let them stay, they're not that important except for the thousands of gold I just lost because my heir was Frankish rather than Greek!

Uh oh, new boss speaks French, better kill ourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

Spakstik posted:

Something seemingly strange just happened in my game. My ruler (playing as the Byzantines) has two daughters, one 36 and the other 6 or 7. The younger one was born in the purple, while the older one wasn't. When the younger one was born, she immediately became my heir. Now all of a sudden I get a popup telling me that I'll play as the older one when my ruler dies. What caused this change? The older one isn't even in my court, so it wasn't through any action on my part. I definitely didn't give her the despot title, so I'm not sure what spurred this.

It's because your character wasn't emperor when your first daughter was born. Your second daughter was born while you were emperor so she gained the born in the purple trait. This means she has priority for succession to the empire. However your laws are probably primogeniture so your first daughter will inherit your character's non-imperial stuff. You can either kill off whichever daughter sucks most or have a son.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Uh oh, new boss speaks French, better kill ourselves.

I know many of you are worried that, as my mother was German, I may not respect the proud cultural traditions of our kingdom. I would like to reassure you that nothing could be further from the truth, and I will do my best to make sure that things continue as they did before.

Now, for my first act as King, I hereby order the following buildings burnt to the ground:

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Festive Transvestite posted:

It's because your character wasn't emperor when your first daughter was born. Your second daughter was born while you were emperor so she gained the born in the purple trait. This means she has priority for succession to the empire. However your laws are probably primogeniture so your first daughter will inherit your character's non-imperial stuff. You can either kill off whichever daughter sucks most or have a son.

I know how the born in the purple mechanic works. The younger daughter immediately became my heir when she was born. Then, out of nowhere, the game changed my heir from my born in the purple daughter to my non-purple daughter. I was playing ironman so I force closed out and reloaded, only to have it happen again on the exact same date. A little snooping around revealed it's some bug that occasionally strikes when you have two daughters and nothing else.

I was pretty frustrated at first because the purple daughter was a genius, but later on the non-purple daughter croaked and my new heir became...her genius son. Can't complain too much.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The seed is strong.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Yea regencies suck donkey dick. The untimely death of my ruler in a Svipjod game and the ensuing regency totally ruined that save. But they can also not suck, since it really depends on who your regent is and how stable your realm is. Byzantine/Restored Roman regencies are pretty easy to weather because of this. In my Roman Empire game, I had a ten year regency with a parakoimomenos as regent, and had appointed a bunch of content exarchs who didn't bother making a single demand.

I had Joan of Arc as a regent once, that ended well.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Jesus. That reminds me that I've never really done a seduction playthrough. What was found to be the best way to have a million kids? Seduce the woman but don't become their lover? I can't exactly remember.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Retinues are mostly poo poo now. If your cultural one is light infantry or archers, get it. Otherwise just spam the cheapest one for as many dudes as you can; this will deter factions and let you bulk up your levies, which should now be the hard part of your army.

True as far as it goes, but light infantry is the combat equivalent of macaroni. A solidly effective retinue is alternating the 200 archers/50 heavy infantry and 200 heavy infantry/50 archers ones. Which rounds out nicely at 1000 points for 500 troops, handy if you have OCD.

In other news, I had a king last exactly five months. Previous ruler died of stress, Tanistry elects an old duke that's like an extremely distant cousin, he dies of stress five months to the day after. Didn't even have time to change a crown law, because the mega-duke (Who is an elector thanks to owning chunks of Scotland) tends to dislike me.

Interestingly, the title is going back to the main branch of the family (Or at least the branch that actually switched off Gavelkind, one O'Neil Nwa-Gaelic is as good as another, unless they're a filthy Waldensian) next succession, the son of the pre-five-month-reign king is the Tanist.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I've never really had issues with elective and I think the voting patterns are somewhat easy to figure out. One, they're not gonna vote for a baby with zero stats, so there's no point in choosing one of your children as an heir until they've at least finished their education. Two, you have to land your chosen heir after they've been married. It'll help their presitge and piety gains, which in turn helps them get elected. It'll also help if the marriage was political in nature as opposed to a eugenics program, as I'm fairly sure that alliances are given some weight in the voting as well. As a duke, petty king, king and beyond I usually land one of my siblings towards the outer edges of my holdings, bonus if they're Zealous and you border on pagan or heathen lands. It's a safe space to park your vote, keeping your primary title in the family and when you finally want to switch over to one of your own children, they just seem down with the program, regardless of title claims and whatnot.

Basically, for elective to work in your favour, your chosen successor needs prestige, piety, a good wife who's dad has a gently caress-off huge army and maybe a couple of kids of their own.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Odobenidae posted:

Jesus. That reminds me that I've never really done a seduction playthrough. What was found to be the best way to have a million kids? Seduce the woman but don't become their lover? I can't exactly remember.

Seducing them but not becoming their lover is the easiest way to get the Seducer trait I think, but if you want to churn out bastards then I'm pretty sure you want an army of lovers. Having a bunch of lovers would certainly be less tedious than constantly seducing people, at any rate.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So when they kneecapped Retinues, did they at least make levies less...poo poo?

Because when I last played, not long before the nerf, vassal levies were pretty goddamn worthless.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Is there a good guide anywhere for retinues? I've got the rest of the game figured out but it's just one of those things that I have no idea how it works.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Is there a good guide anywhere for retinues? I've got the rest of the game figured out but it's just one of those things that I have no idea how it works.

Either revert to a patch before they were nerfed, install a mod, or don't use them.

They are arguably ok as a republic, but mercenaries are still better.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I decided to try to make a Charlemagne as Byzantine Emperor game but I've hit a brick wall. Somehow the Ecumenical Patriarch had become the goddamn emperor. Is there any way (even with the console) I can separate the two? I've killed two of the bastard and could piss over any other byzantine Lord so I'm perfectly willing to cheat it if needed.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

KPC_Mammon posted:

Either revert to a patch before they were nerfed, install a mod, or don't use them.

Why? They arent has good (overpowered) as before, but still useful. It never hurts to have an extra stack of a few thousands always ready.

Unless you really low on money, there is no reason to not use then. Just turn off their reinforcements when you are too poor.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Dareon posted:

True as far as it goes, but light infantry is the combat equivalent of macaroni. A solidly effective retinue is alternating the 200 archers/50 heavy infantry and 200 heavy infantry/50 archers ones. Which rounds out nicely at 1000 points for 500 troops, handy if you have OCD.
I suppose you could also look at it as a siege force thing. Light Infantry gives you numbers which means you can park the retinue and siege with it and the reinforce cost for LI is pretty low, so it frees up your levies to go and fight stuff while the retinue minds a siege. Stacking Archers supposedly works well for assaults, though the cost to replace them would be pretty hellish even if they're just Archers. Light Cavalry that are alone in a stack also have pretty good tactics, so a cultural retinue that's entirely LC (or camels) could be okay. The number of Heavy Cavalry and Horse Archers you get for retinues now is kind of lame though, and those are really expensive. Still, I guess if your cultural retinue has them more Horse Archers are better than fewer, if you can actually afford them. Republics get a larger cap and way more money so it seems like they're more intended to lean on retinues and mercenaries than levies, although of course with a well-played merchant republic you can probably have all three.

When opponents are considering your force strength do they just look at numbers? LI retinues would be pretty useful to artificially pump up your apparent strength if so. Just never let them fight and they'll have a negligible cost from occasional capital revolt stomps, which even LI should be able to win.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Spakstik posted:

Seducing them but not becoming their lover is the easiest way to get the Seducer trait I think, but if you want to churn out bastards then I'm pretty sure you want an army of lovers. Having a bunch of lovers would certainly be less tedious than constantly seducing people, at any rate.

Nah, he had it right to begin with. Seduce them then leave them. Each time you seduce someone then you'll get somewhere around a 30% chance of pregnancy. If you make them a lover then you can't seduce them again and you have to wait for the vacation with your lover events. If you left them you can turn around and seduce away again if they didn't get pregnant.

Retinues are mostly poo poo now. If your cultural one is light infantry or archers, get it. Otherwise just spam the cheapest one for as many dudes as you can; this will deter factions and let you bulk up your levies, which should now be the hard part of your army. Turn off their reinforcement or halve it depending on how much money you got, but honestly them just sitting around deterring vikings and factions is the only real remaining use if you aren't swimming in cash.
(Gaming Mercs is now cheaper, I kept one merc company on retainer for so long that I forgot I had it in latest Byzantium game)

You're mostly right but you're leaving out three benefits of Retinues that still exist. (Mercs are better still but costlier in the long run).

Sieges - get those light infantry and archers in droves so you can simply outnumber the defenders by a shitton and win quicker.

Speed - get light horsemen and keep them separate from your other armies. You can either use this to take out the small armies before they can merge together to be a larger army or you can try to rush ahead of a retreating army so that they never get a chance to rest and recover (and they'll be forced to be on the offensive).

Surprise - Declare war the day before your army is arriving and kill your enemies levies before they can merge together into a proper threat, meanwhile your levies are merging together and heading towards his land.

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 7, 2015

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

TheCIASentMe posted:

Speed - get light horsemen and keep them separate from your other armies. You can either use this to take out the small armies before they can merge together to be a larger army or you can try to rush ahead of a retreating army so that they never get a chance to rest and recover (and they'll be forced to be on the offensive).
Another neat advantage is you might be able to pin an army down in a province that's unfavorable for them in time for the rest of your army to catch up. Armies engaged in battle can't finish moving, so if an enemy army is moving from a plain to a mountain it's handy to trap them on the plains so your cavalry doesn't suck when they join the battle. This probably will lead to some nasty casualties for the LC retinue though.

You have to know how to game army movement speeds for that, however. Organizer can be funny in combination with it.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
Any tricks to ending the Great Schism? I have an Orthodox Byzantine Emperor, at peace, with full control of all five Patriarchal Seats, each of which is occupied by an Orthodox Patriarch. For some reason it's still not letting me do so.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

KPC_Mammon posted:

Geez, they're really that bad now?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Sultan Tarquin posted:

They're not that bad. They're still useful for rich/large kingdoms. Just not a mandatory buy as soon as you can pay the fixed cost anymore.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Smashurbanipal posted:

Any tricks to ending the Great Schism? I have an Orthodox Byzantine Emperor, at peace, with full control of all five Patriarchal Seats, each of which is occupied by an Orthodox Patriarch. For some reason it's still not letting me do so.

Are you above the age of 16?

Is the pope a heratic?

Sultan Tarquin posted:

No, they're EXPENSIVE is what they are.

If you can afford to buy and maintain them do so. I tend to try to keep around 100 gold in reserve for each retinue I have at all times.

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 7, 2015

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

Smashurbanipal posted:

Do you control all of Rome? Sometimes the Pope will stay as the liege of some of the holdings when you conquer it.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Smashurbanipal posted:

Does your ruler have 2000 piety? Aside from the territorial requirements that's probably the next biggest roadblock.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
Ahhhh, I didn't see the requirement of 2K piety.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

TheCIASentMe posted:

No, they're EXPENSIVE is what they are.

If you can afford to buy and maintain them do so. I tend to try to keep around 100 gold in reserve for each retinue I have at all times.

The upkeep is barely noticeable, is the reinforcements cost that is a killer. Specially since there seems to be some crazy math going on, because in my experience it scales to the full size of the retinue, not the amount you are actually reinforcing. So reinforcing 1000 men on a 2K retinue is a lot cheaper than reinforcing the same 1000 men on a 10K retinue.

Its crazy how expensive it can get later on, like 60G per month expensive (having around 15K total).

So a good advice is to turn off retinue reinforcements while fighting a long war, it will drain all your gold fast.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

So basically I missed the golden age of good retinues. Welp. At least this DLC was worth it for making my Byzantium playthrough more interesting.

It's easy to tinker with defines.lua to put them back where you want them.

Retinues are for merchant republics and as a convenience for large empires to keep around for mopping up raiders and peasant revolts. Their replenishment is far too expensive for anything smaller/poorer to sustain. Otherwise by all means have a retinue, just for the benefit of a few hundred extra troops to discourage your rear end in a top hat vassals from revolting. Just don't USE them unless you're prepared to pay hundreds and hundreds of ducats to replenish them when they die. If you're expecting a long war mercenaries will be cheaper because they reinforce while you pay a flat monthly fee; and if you're expecting a short war with assaults then mercenaries are better because you can throw them into the meat grinder and won't have to pay to replenish them.

As for army composition, archers are still overpowered and you should still have as many archers as possible always. And someone Welsh to command them if possible (I periodically look around for any Welsh people with 10+ Martial willing to come to my court just for this purpose.)

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Broken Cog posted:

They added a distance modifier to seduction, and it can be a bit excessive at times.
Seduction events will also never fire if either target is leading a military force(which includes defending a fort, really irritating with constant viking raids, for example).

The target is in my court. It's probably leading a military force playing into this. I'm attempting a "shadow emperor" play through where I control 99% of the Byz except Constantinople but the AI Emperor has been a total loving sperg and has been getting owned; which results in my efforts getting owned. The new dynasty that just arose is must be running on a platform of pure revanchism though since we've been at war incessantly and I think my ruler is getting hoovered up into leading them.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

TheCIASentMe posted:

You're mostly right but you're leaving out three benefits of Retinues that still exist. (Mercs are better still but costlier in the long run).

Sieges - get those light infantry and archers in droves so you can simply outnumber the defenders by a shitton and win quicker.

Surprise - Declare war the day before your army is arriving and kill your enemies levies before they can merge together into a proper threat, meanwhile your levies are merging together and heading towards his land.
The first two are better achieved with simply using proper commanders; Siege Lead and Organizer. They also won't cost you an arm and a leg to replenish.

Honestly, the cost of retinues is so exaggerated now that they're very meh. The element of surprise is OK but you can achieve the same thing with mercs and you can adjust their costs downwards by assaulting, with the opposite happening with retinues. If you're warring much you can keep their numbers down to a managable number and they pay for themselves.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I miss all-archer retinues and blitzkrieging my way across the middle east.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Playing this as an actual game and not as Historical Guy Simulator 2000 is weird to me

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Norse Welsh Merchant Republic-kun!! :qq:

No seriously, it was the bees knees, legs, calves, the whole shebang. Just keep it under the 60% threshold and you were golden.

xXWehrabooXx
Mar 11, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Full Cataphract retinue was Byzantine Emperor was pretty sweet.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Welsh bowmen retinues are still 100% archers, laughably cheap, and so awesome with Welsh commanders that as long as you give them a tiny bit of heavy infantry for meatshields they'll destroy everything that moves so severely that in an even-numbered fight they'll wipe out the opposing army while suffering no more than 10%, maybe 15% casualties themselves. They are still well worth the investment if you happen to be Welsh. The Massive Longbow Volley is truly a sight to see.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Darth Windu posted:

Playing this as an actual game and not as Historical Guy Simulator 2000 is weird to me

It's not an interesting History Guy Simulator if there's no rules to the simulation

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Welsh bowmen retinues are still 100% archers, laughably cheap, and so awesome with Welsh commanders that as long as you give them a tiny bit of heavy infantry for meatshields they'll destroy everything that moves so severely that in an even-numbered fight they'll wipe out the opposing army while suffering no more than 10%, maybe 15% casualties themselves. They are still well worth the investment if you happen to be Welsh. The Massive Longbow Volley is truly a sight to see.

the arrows blot out the sun :unsmigghh:

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Crusader Kings 2 isn't a strategy game, it's a role-playing game. Go back to EU IV, you are playing Wrong™

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Back To 99 posted:

Crusader Kings 2 isn't a strategy game, it's a role-playing game. Go back to EU IV, you are playing Wrong™

A lot people say that unironically but if it was true, it would be a very poor RPG game. There's just not enough possible interactions between characters for it to be an RPG game. And you still spend most of your time dealing with wars and expansion.

Its better defined as an strategy game with RPG elements.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I always use retinues as soon as I can get them and I've never been bankrupted by them. :shrug:

You can only rack up the ridiculous 60 gold/month reinforcement cost when you're big enough to be an empire. You don't need to be a merchant republic to afford retinues, even if you're beelining the military organization tech you're not going to somehow be able to have a retinue limit larger than you can afford. Anyone complaining about how much retinues cost is a big baby. The game was fundamentally broken before the patch fixed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Odobenidae posted:

I always use retinues as soon as I can get them and I've never been bankrupted by them. :shrug:

You can only rack up the ridiculous 60 gold/month reinforcement cost when you're big enough to be an empire. You don't need to be a merchant republic to afford retinues, even if you're beelining the military organization tech you're not going to somehow be able to have a retinue limit larger than you can afford. Anyone complaining about how much retinues cost is a big baby. The game was fundamentally broken before the patch fixed them.

this

don't use your retinue for suicide attacks or assaults with less than 10X forces and the cost is completely irrelevant. the slow reinforcement speed is what makes them useless for large-scale wars.

• Locked thread