Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

VorpalFish posted:

I have a Roth and a taxable brokerage account. Should I just be treating it all as one pool for the purposes of balancing? It's gonna be hard to rebalance between them and going forward the 401k will outpace the other accounts significantly when it comes to contributions.

Check out the asset allocation in multiple accounts and principles of tax-efficient fund placement articles on the Bogleheads wiki. They should be able to answer your questions or at least get you started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

VorpalFish posted:

I have a Roth and a taxable brokerage account. Should I just be treating it all as one pool for the purposes of balancing? It's gonna be hard to rebalance between them and going forward the 401k will outpace the other accounts significantly when it comes to contributions.

Not really since a retirement account has much different goals than a taxable account. Mainly because with a retirement account you are looking at a much longer 30+ investment window.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

VorpalFish posted:

You should absolutely treat all your accounts as one pool of money when it comes to portfolio allocation and rebalancing. Not doing that would be ridiculous because it would lead to significant inefficiencies in taxes and (potentially) fund choices.

Someone linked the bogleheads page that deals with taxes, which basically says the order of preference for accounts is:

Roth: REITs, junk bonds, high quality bonds, domestic stocks, foreign stocks
IRA/401k/etc: high quality bonds, junk bonds, reits, domestic stocks, foreign stocks
Taxable: foreign stocks, domestic stocks, high quality bonds, junk bonds, REITs

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015

Murgos posted:

So, tech because finance would likely already know this stuff.

Why would finance already know this stuff and how can I acquire the same knowledge? If I just need to buy like six textbooks and read them cover-to-cover, I can do that. Is that the way to go?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

etalian posted:

Not really since a retirement account has much different goals than a taxable account. Mainly because with a retirement account you are looking at a much longer 30+ investment window.

This is all with the intention of retiring at 40-45 using a Roth conversion ladder, I'd be tapping retirement accounts within about 5 years of tapping regular ones.

Droo posted:

You should absolutely treat all your accounts as one pool of money when it comes to portfolio allocation and rebalancing. Not doing that would be ridiculous because it would lead to significant inefficiencies in taxes and (potentially) fund choices.

Mr.Radar posted:

helpful links

Thanks for the replies!

So the problem I'm running in to with this is I'm going to be allocated way too heavily in US stocks unless I bite the bullet and invest at least part of my 401k in to a 1.22 ER international fund, even if I go 100% international for Roth and taxable. My 401k savings is going to be over twice my Roth and taxable savings.

My options are:
*Be 2:1 US to international stock and forgo US indexes in non 401k accounts altogether - 85% S&P400 index (.5% ER) - 15% Bond fund (.85% ER) for 401k
*Be 3:1 US to international stock and keep my US indexes in the other accounts with the same distribution as above for 401k
*Have a 50 US/40 international/10 bond split but be weighted 60% S&P (.5%ER), 15% Bond (.85% ER), 25% international (1.22% ER).

I guess what I'm really getting at is at what point does high expense ratio outweigh the need to have diversified exposure, especially since the index I can buy in the 401K isn't even a total US market index.

warderenator
Nov 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VorpalFish posted:

So the problem I'm running in to with this is I'm going to be allocated way too heavily in US stocks unless I bite the bullet and invest at least part of my 401k in to a 1.22 ER international fund, even if I go 100% international for Roth and taxable. My 401k savings is going to be over twice my Roth and taxable savings.

My options are:
*Be 2:1 US to international stock and forgo US indexes in non 401k accounts altogether - 85% S&P400 index (.5% ER) - 15% Bond fund (.85% ER) for 401k
*Be 3:1 US to international stock and keep my US indexes in the other accounts with the same distribution as above for 401k
*Have a 50 US/40 international/10 bond split but be weighted 60% S&P (.5%ER), 15% Bond (.85% ER), 25% international (1.22% ER).

I guess what I'm really getting at is at what point does high expense ratio outweigh the need to have diversified exposure, especially since the index I can buy in the 401K isn't even a total US market index.

Just do whatever seems best and is closest to what you want. Personally I would prioritize stock/bond allocation, then expense ratios, and then US/international allocation.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VorpalFish posted:

Don't worry about being slightly overweight in US, take the S&P500 in your 401k and make up the difference the best you can everywhere else. Expense ratio reductions on index funds are basically guaranteed returns and will easily outweigh a 2:1 vs a 3:1 US/International split. I also recommend staying out of that bond fund.

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

flowinprose posted:

You mean comparing putting money into a 529 vs just investing in normal taxable accounts? I would say that's pretty much a no brainer if you have kids that you think will eventually go to college.

The real questions are 1) doing a 529 account vs a pre-paid tuition account 2) which 529 plan to pick. Is there one in your state that offers some benefit to you as a citizen of that state and if so, is it worth using that one over a better plan that doesn't confer any specific benefits to your state.

I'm also curious if anybody has any advice on this. California's plan (my home state) has reasonably low expense ratios; the passive age-based funds run from about 0.18-0.21%, which is worse than my retirement funds but not so terrible. But there aren't any particular advantages for sticking with California. Qualified withdrawals are California tax-free (as well as federal), but I have no idea if that will be relevant to me (or would it be the beneficiary?) 18 years from now.

This study claims that there are a few states with cheaper plans, but several of them are residents only. Texas looks like it might be ok? Wait, no; on closer inspection, they tack on 0.5%+ management fees, so I don't know what is up with that site. Anything good out there that I'm missing?

One concern is the possibility that the beneficiary might not go to school in the US. I understand that some international colleges are eligible, but I haven't looked into the details yet. Anybody have experience with this, or with 529 plans in general?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Alhireth-Hotep posted:

Tne concern is the possibility that the beneficiary might not go to school in the US. I understand that some international colleges are eligible, but I haven't looked into the details yet. Anybody have experience with this, or with 529 plans in general?

check this:
http://www.savingforcollege.com/eligible_institutions/

From doing the brute force search looks like only EU/Australian schools are eligible.

So yes the plan can be used for certain foreign colleges but it's mainly to a narrow range of universities mainly located in the EU.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

I expect to have =<0% effective tax rate again this year, and for the foreseeable future of my military service until my wife starts working again. I've maxed my Roth IRA for the year, working on the spousal Roth now, and after that I've got the Roth TSP as an option.

Am I correct in my assumption that I can potentially sock away $29,000 per year (5500 + 5500 + 18000) of money whose principal and earnings will never see a dime of tax? My intent would be to roll the Roth TSP account into my Roth IRA after leaving the military. That can be done penalty-free and without counting towards annual contribution limits to the IRA for the year it it is rolled over, correct?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Gray Matter posted:

I expect to have =<0% effective tax rate again this year, and for the foreseeable future of my military service until my wife starts working again. I've maxed my Roth IRA for the year, working on the spousal Roth now, and after that I've got the Roth TSP as an option.

Am I correct in my assumption that I can potentially sock away $29,000 per year (5500 + 5500 + 18000) of money whose principal and earnings will never see a dime of tax? My intent would be to roll the Roth TSP account into my Roth IRA after leaving the military. That can be done penalty-free and without counting towards annual contribution limits to the IRA for the year it it is rolled over, correct?

I'm hoping that you have at least some earned income (which would likely be taxable) above whatever exclusions in order to contribute $11,000 per year into Roth IRAs

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

flowinprose posted:

I'm hoping that you have at least some earned income (which would likely be taxable) above whatever exclusions in order to contribute $11,000 per year into Roth IRAs
I do have earned income, but being active-duty military a lot of the allowances I am paid (housing, food, etc) are non-taxable to begin with. We are a single-income family with one child and so receive considerable deductions and credits - my effective tax rate has been 0% for the past 3 years.

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 3, 2015

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Gray Matter posted:

I do have earned income, but being active-duty military a lot of the allowances I am paid (housing, food, etc) are non-taxable to begin with. We are a single-income family with one child and so receive considerable deductions and credits - my effective tax rate has been 0% for the past 3 years.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p590/ch01.html#en_US_2013_publink1000230355

With this you might qualify to have eligible compensation to put in a Roth IRA that I guess would not be taxable:
"Nontaxable combat pay. If you were a member of the U.S. Armed Forces, compensation includes any nontaxable combat pay you received. This amount should be reported in box 12 of your 2013 Form W-2 with code Q."

However, the following is very important to keep in mind:

IRS posted:

"What Is Not Compensation?

Compensation does not include any of the following items.

Earnings and profits from property, such as rental income, interest income, and dividend income.

Pension or annuity income.

Deferred compensation received (compensation payments postponed from a past year).

Income from a partnership for which you do not provide services that are a material income-producing factor.

Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) payments reported on Schedule SE (Form 1040), line 1b.

Any amounts (other than combat pay) you exclude from income, such as foreign earned income and housing costs."

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Sorry for the double post, meant to edit my previous one...

It should also be important to note that any pre-tax money you put into the TSP is also considered "excluded" for the purposes of IRA contributions.

I'm not actually sure how this would work if you are putting money into Roth -TSP, but I suppose that would not be excluded since normally you would be taxed on it.

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 3, 2015

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

I already know I've got eligible compensation to contribute to Roth IRAs because I've been doing it for several years, that's not the issue.

My major question is whether the Roth TSP, which is essentially a Roth 401k, can be rolled over into my Roth IRA in the future without counting towards the annual $5,500 contribution limit. In which case, I'd basically be able to save a maximum of $29,000 per year in Roth accounts that I will effectively never have paid or will pay tax on.

A follow-up question would be, would any amount rolled over be withdrawable from the Roth IRA penalty-free being considered as contributed principal. Purely hypothetical, as I understand it's not ideal to withdraw principal early from a Roth IRA from a long-term investment standpoint.

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 3, 2015

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

fruit loop posted:

Why would finance already know this stuff and how can I acquire the same knowledge? If I just need to buy like six textbooks and read them cover-to-cover, I can do that. Is that the way to go?

The OP has a good list of the basics.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
If the TSP is basically the government/military version of a 401k, I can't see it counting towards the IRA contribution limit.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

fruit loop posted:

The OP includes the Four Pillars which is pretty much the core training manual for investing. Read and understand that.

Budgeting and debt elimination is a separate aspect and tends to take priority over investing and large scale savings. Cutting unnecessary costs or luxury lifestyle costs can make a large difference to your savings/debt repayment rate. Although advantaged retirement savings are often a priority because of the "free money" gains.

Financial independence is something you look at closely when you sort out the above two items. Making a thread is always an option if you are prepared to take advice and offer detailed income and expenditure information to allow us to help you.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

What am I going to want if I'm looking to invest in my future?

If I have to ask that question, am I still ready to invest?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

rizuhbull posted:

Target Retirement Fund 20##, go read Four Pillars.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

rizuhbull posted:

Those are only bonds. Are those all your options or do you only really want to invest in bonds?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

I'm trying to start the research process for whether I want to use one of the relatively low fee automatic or semi-automatic money management tools out there for investors. I ended up thinking about this because I'm using Personal Capital to get a bird's eye view of all accounts in one place (Mint.com straight up doesn't function for me), and they have a management service, too, which they pitch after sign up.

I'm 31, unmarried, not in a high earner industry, but not a big spender either, so I save and have reasonably significant investments at this point. My general investing approach is the basics as generally recommended by SA/etc: Vanguard index funds, keep fees low, don't market time, don't pick stocks. Max out Roth IRA and go as high as possible in 401k (near max now). Have some asset class diversification (I hold an REIT index in my Roth). I figure that's most of the battle, and I have no real complicating circumstances for my finances; no specific short or medium-term goals, just seeking investment growth.

But I'm NOT particularly good about rebalancing or deciding what my specific asset allocation should be, and I don't currently do tax loss harvesting or more than the very most basic tax efficiency placement. Do people have thoughts on the auto-adviser services, or have suggestions on where I can go for good research/more info? Is there any general wisdom, or just people's thoughts, on whether the gains from rebalancing and tax-loss harvesting will offset the management fees? (I'm also a bit bummed that I'll take a big tax hit when they reallocate if I give management of the $ in my taxable account over to one of these services, but I probably just have to deal with that--the alternative seems to be to keep holding in a way that may be inefficient until a year in the indefinite future when I could withdraw at 0% capital gains rate, but I don't *really* know how likely that is to happen.)

Personal Capital's service emphasizes that they'll invest equally across sectors with a basket of stocks and ETFs rather than mutual/index funds, avoiding the disproportionate sector weighting that comes from simply going with indexes. They also do tax-loss harvesting, rebalancing, etc, and obviously have a whole pitch about their proprietary technology for all of that. Their free Mint-like service is functional, well-designed, etc, which did get me to listen to their pitch. But they're .89% annual fee total in my investment range. Betterment seems like it might be able to handle/advise toward a lot of this at a lower fee. And I haven't even really looked into Wealthfront, FutureAdvisor, etc yet.

Anyone use (or consider using) any of these services and have thoughts, or have any other sites to point me toward? Thanks!

onefish fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 5, 2015

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
So far I haven't seen any auto-investor that I would say is worth the fee. I'm patiently waiting for one of the startups to get bought out by Vanguard.

Personal Capital I hate because they don't stop spamming my phone with their loving advisor poo poo.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

moana posted:

So far I haven't seen any auto-investor that I would say is worth the fee. I'm patiently waiting for one of the startups to get bought out by Vanguard.

Personal Capital I hate because they don't stop spamming my phone with their loving advisor poo poo.

Ha. I just started with them. I'll see how much spam I get.

And thanks for this perspective. Obviously willing to hear more from you or others. Are you better than I am about tax-efficiency, tax-loss harvesting, and rebalancing, though? (i.e. might there be value in it for me that there isn't for you?)

Going to start here for some more research: http://investorjunkie.com/35919/robo-advisors/
VVV edit: Thanks. Looking like PC management is probably not the way I'd want to go. Still researching for something like Betterment. http://cashcowcouple.com/service-reviews/personal-capital-review/
http://cashcowcouple.com/service-reviews/betterment-review/ (p.s. I hate that basically all the reviews of these sites have some kind of conflict of interest in that they'll offer bonuses if you sign up through them...)

onefish fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 5, 2015

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I found Personal Capital very respectful of No's. If you tell their advisor you're good, they stop all attempts to get you.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

onefish posted:

Anyone use (or consider using) any of these services and have thoughts, or have any other sites to point me toward? Thanks!

Honestly, I don't see the point. If you just want a one-stop fire and forget investment just buy Vanguard Wellington every year and come back when you're ready to retire. It's after tax-returns are higher (historically) than even Vanguards Tax-Managed Balanced fund and it handles internally basically anything you would want to do anyway (i.e. re-balancing or asset allocation or whatever). If you can afford admiral shares the ER is only 0.18 which is MUCH less than what robo-adivsors charge (most tack on at least 0.25% on top of the funds you are in ER).

Personally, I think I can do better riding on the tails of current research (FF factors and more international plus momentum mostly) but for a one-stop approach there are infinitely many worse things you could do than VWENX (or VGSTX if you want less risk).

e: The only thing you don't get with a one-fund approach is tax loss harvesting. If that's critical to you then obviously these wont work for you.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 5, 2015

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

moana posted:

I immediately deleted my account after their first call. gently caress off with that poo poo.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

onefish posted:

And thanks for this perspective. Obviously willing to hear more from you or others. Are you better than I am about tax-efficiency, tax-loss harvesting, and rebalancing, though? (i.e. might there be value in it for me that there isn't for you?)
I'm terrible about all of that stuff, the way I rebalance is every year when I max out my IRA/401k, I'll buy more of what I need to get back to the right percentages. I'd be very happy to pass off my investments to an auto investor when I find one that's stable enough and doesn't charge bananas fees.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Pro tip; target retirement funds are auto-investors and they do a better job for less money.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Do you guys only re-balance every 6/12/whatever months, or when your allocation percentages get out of whack by too much?

I just set up a spreadsheet so I can see my overall allocation percentages and of course the US stocks have grown by a few percentage points since I last re-balanced. I usually re-balance once in January, but if I see, say US stocks, keep growing and get way out of whack, do I just go ahead and do an early re-balance?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Pro tip; target retirement funds are auto-investors and they do a better job for less money.

Sure, but I generally want to be more aggressive than the retirement funds (and particularly, see no reason to hold bonds in) in taxable accounts.

Murgos posted:

e: The only thing you don't get with a one-fund approach is tax loss harvesting. If that's critical to you then obviously these wont work for you.

I'm trying to figure out how important it is.

Wealthfront talking up their tax-loss harvesting stuff: https://pages.wealthfront.com/faq/daily-tax-loss-harvesting/
Basic claim: average resulting annual tax benefit of TLH historically = 1.35%

It seems like if I took them at their word, and this could increase my effective returns 1.35% for a .25% fee on managed assets over $15000, that would be a move I'd definitely want to make (that we'd all want to make). But, of course, I'm suspicious of taking a for-profit company at their word.

Googled around for a skeptical opinion and hit this, which is mainly concerned about the IRS seeing or closing the "loophole" of avoiding wash sales by switching between two extremely highly correlated ETFs. (And this, which points out tax-deferral vs. tax-savings. It does acknowledge long term tax deferral IS a positive for most investors, given the fact that you're investing the amount deferred, but the numbers they propose are much lower than Wealthfront's, of course.

edit: Oh, and apparently Vanguard itself now has advisors at a 0.3% fee, which I'll look into, too.

onefish fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 5, 2015

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Do you guys only re-balance every 6/12/whatever months, or when your allocation percentages get out of whack by too much?

I just set up a spreadsheet so I can see my overall allocation percentages and of course the US stocks have grown by a few percentage points since I last re-balanced. I usually re-balance once in January, but if I see, say US stocks, keep growing and get way out of whack, do I just go ahead and do an early re-balance?

That's what I do.

As far as I'm concerned, the major investment risks (once you've picked a reasonable allocation) are behavioral. Allowing myself the opportunity to rebalance anytime I feel like it is just another way for me to potentially gently caress myself over. I don't even really know how I might screw up rebalancing early; I just maintain strict investment discipline.

I might take an unnecessarily hard line on this.

Fake edit: I also think continuous rebalancing by shifting contribution %s (vs by selling and buying) is ok. That might be inconsistent of me.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

onefish posted:

I'm trying to figure out how important it is.

Tax loss harvesting is certainly a real thing but it's not the claiming the loss on your taxes that's the important part. It's the offsetting long term capital gains disbursements that's the real benefit. But be aware that what you are doing is lowering your cost basis and if you're not careful you can still end up owing those taxes when/if you sell the stock at a profit.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yup and it's to be seen if the hype for places like Wealthfront actually end up beating something like a target retirement fund/Vanguard life strategy fund.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Question: My company matches up to 75% at 8% for my 401k (so 6% match) plus a 3% company contribution that escalates up to 5% when I hit my mid 40s no matter what my election preferences are. I've been putting in 8% since that's been giving me free money. Upon looking at my budget, I think it's time for me to up my contribution to 10%. Since the company won't match an additional 2%, would it make sense to put it into a Roth IRA instead? The Roth won't have much money since 2% isn't much and I won't come close to hitting the max Roth IRA anyways. That no-tax post retirement deal sounds pretty sweet.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

It essentially depends on whether you think your income tax will be higher in retirement. If you put the money away pretax now, you're saving money for now, but it will get taxed at the level of your retirement income when you eventually withdraw. On the other hand, if you take the tax hit now, you're taxed at your current rate and don't have to pay another dime when you withdraw in retirement.

If you think your tax liability will be higher later on, ROTH IRA. If you don't, 401k.

e: The accepted rule of thumb in these parts is to hit your 401k match for the free money, max the ROTH, then work towards maxing the 401k. That way you're hedging your bets, tax-wise. I personally agree with this.

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 6, 2015

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Not a Children posted:

It essentially depends on whether you think your effective income tax will be higher in retirement than your current marginal income tax.

We put money into both to a) diversify our tax accounts and b) in retirement we're going to withdraw from our tax deferred account up to deduction, then withdraw from our tax exempt account.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 6, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Not a Children posted:

It essentially depends on whether you think your income tax will be higher in retirement. If you put the money away pretax now, you're saving money for now, but it will get taxed at the level of your retirement income when you eventually withdraw. On the other hand, if you take the tax hit now, you're taxed at your current rate and don't have to pay another dime when you withdraw in retirement.

If you think your tax liability will be higher later on, ROTH IRA. If you don't, 401k.

e: The accepted rule of thumb in these parts is to hit your 401k match for the free money, max the ROTH, then work towards maxing the 401k. That way you're hedging your bets, tax-wise. I personally agree with this.

I also consider a Roth a must have since it has other unique features vs a normal IRA such as not requiring mandatory distribution.

Basically means if you had a good Roth nest egg you could just collect tax free on dividend income streams and then use things like part time work/social security to supplement the rest of the required monthly income instead of being forced to raid your Roth nest egg.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
But if you're in that situation and >65 you can just convert your normal into a Roth slowly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I've been contributing 90% of my first few months paychecks to my 401k and have maxed it out (looks like I actually went over the taxable limit) - does it make any difference for tax purposes now whether I invest further savings in the 401k or a taxable brokerage account? In general, does it make any difference whether I try to max out my 401k quickly at the beginning of the year vs. filling it up gradually throughout the year?