Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Did something change about HBM? I thought that was squarely for 390x's

Everyone expected that but people probably didn't consider the implication that would have for the rest of the line, or at least I didn't. Kinda makes sense that AMD isn't going to launch two totally different architectures tailored to the requirements and performance of two different types of memory, which implies that everything else will be rebrands. It's just some really weird choices of cards to rebrand - the gimpy weirdly-placed card from the last series, the midrange GPU from 2 series ago, and a forgettable budget-priced card from the last series.

Like, they didn't even rebrand the 7870 XT or Ghz edition, they rebranded the plain vanilla 7850 for a second time.

I guess it makes sense to wholesale that crap to computer companies to put in consumer PCs, but it's sure not anything that I'd race out and buy.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Assuming they'll use the Rx 3xx for their consumer lineup, will they differentiate their OEM only cards from their consumer cards with just the X? Gah, I hate AMD's marketing. Why would they have the more expensive R9 370 lack features the R9 360 has? Even if its for prebuilt computers, that poo poo is unacceptable.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Do you guys think they're going to launch the 395x2 at Computex, or just the 390x? Wccftech reported rumors going both ways. Not sure if the HBM shortage will affect that, if they'll be trying to flaunt their few new products, or if they'd want to delay it to try and get a second go-around on publicity later...

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

GrizzlyCow posted:

Assuming they'll use the Rx 3xx for their consumer lineup, will they differentiate their OEM only cards from their consumer cards with just the X? Gah, I hate AMD's marketing. Why would they have the more expensive R9 370 lack features the R9 360 has? Even if its for prebuilt computers, that poo poo is unacceptable.

Please don't take my statement to be fact. That was casual speculation on my part. I only thought it suspicious that there were no X cards specced out.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
Am I able to use a crossfire bridge for SLI with 2 Nvidia cards? I don't want to shell out $25 for a cable on the official website (plus $25 for shipping!). There are also some on eBay for $8, assuming those will work.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Xenoid posted:

Am I able to use a crossfire bridge for SLI with 2 Nvidia cards?

Nope! But Nvidia compatible SLI things are like $5 or less on eBay.\

Edit: I see you ninja edited the eBay thing. Exactly, those will work fine. If you're using standard spacing in the PC, you can use the printed circuit board SLI adapters like the ASUS ones, they are slightly less interference prone and add rigidity to the cards so they sag less. If you want to do something like spreading the cards a few MM further apart from each other to help them breathe in a airflow-restricted case, you should get the ribbon-type cable.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 7, 2015

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Nope! But Nvidia compatible SLI things are like $5 or less on eBay.

Thanks.

I think it's retarded that GeForce cards don't come with the cable when my ATI cards did.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Do you guys think they're going to launch the 395x2 at Computex, or just the 390x? Wccftech reported rumors going both ways. Not sure if the HBM shortage will affect that, if they'll be trying to flaunt their few new products, or if they'd want to delay it to try and get a second go-around on publicity later...

I imagine it'll be the 390X only. Nvidia will likely respond with the rumored GTX 980 Ti, AMD will then announce the 395X to one up nVidia. nVidia will then release the Titan XYZ for 2000 dollars and someone will buy 2 of them.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Xenoid posted:

Thanks.

I think it's retarded that GeForce cards don't come with the cable when my ATI cards did.

They are supposed to ship standard with every SLI compatible motherboard, but many people get used motherboards or trash the box without hanging on to them.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

They are supposed to ship standard with every SLI compatible motherboard, but many people get used motherboards or trash the box without hanging on to them.

You're the man! I happen to have the box and the cable was in it, still in the wrapper! Many thanks :)

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Speaking of SLI bridges, how come the non flimsy SLI bridge from EVGA is so hard to find?

They're going for like $200 on ebay. What the hell?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

repiv posted:

Official specs for the mid-range R9 300 cards are out. Confirms that AMD are going to market ancient GCN 1.0 parts with no Freesync, TrueAudio or LiquidVR support as "new" cards :suicide:

Oh no. Oh AMD. What the gently caress are you doing? There will therefore be 300 series parts that don't support Freesync. This is the worst idea. They need to stop this in its tracks right now.

Edit: Wait, the Radeon 380 is just a Radeon 285 with 4GiB VRAM? The 285 wasn't even an incredible part in its old stack positioning. I assumed it would drop down to the 370 position.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 7, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Just based on the rumored core counts, I'm still holding out hope that the 390X will be a good buy for Crossfire 1440p/4K gaming or crazy single-card framerates. The rest of the line is garbage.

The 285 really ought to be rebranded as the 365 instead, since it underperforms the new 370. Or, give it a special designation, like 370S or something.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Or just stop with the dumb rebranding bullshit.

Call it 285XT or some similar crap, why keep changing the whole number if the card is the same, just higher clocks?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Truga posted:

Call it 285XT or some similar crap, why keep changing the whole number if the card is the same, just higher clocks?

The clocks are the same

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Truga posted:

It honestly seems like they are sitting on lots of inventory and they chose this route instead of new manufacturing mid-range, but need to make them seem like more then they are for the OEMs to be capable of offloading them on the "buy my computer at Best Buy or Costco" consumer. That partly explains why they also are using seemingly random, mediocre variants from the last 2-3 generations; the cards they have enough of to not warrant much new product. It's definitely an OEM thing too, in the footnotes of the page (OEM) follows the card names nearly every time they're mentioned.

If they do put the flagship card under the same 300 line as the 390X or whatever, I guess they assume people who care will know enough about the cards themselves to see the difference in quality.

I can't come to another reasonable conclusion other then that.

If that turns out to be the case, it's not really a bad plan at all; those cards are worth gently caress all as it stands, at least they'll get some revenue from them this way. The 970 just hoovered up the $300 GPU market anyway.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 7, 2015

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I'm kind of hoping the 300 series is just OEM, and that they will skip to the 400 series.

In my dream of dreams, the 390 is a 4GB HBM card, the 390X an 8GB card, the 395XT a 16GB dual GPU card, the 380 is a 4GB HBM reduced clock 390 for stability, and the 370 is a 3GB HBM reduced clock memory disabled 390. The 360 can be a 290, the 350 can be a 280. Basically R9 is HBM, R7 is GDDR5 and R5 is GDDR3. Next gen would be HBM2, HBM, and GDDR5.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
loving hell AMD you're becoming a parody of yourself, ANOTHER 7850 refresh? REALLY?! uuugghhhhrhghghrhghgrrrrr

This is all 28nm's fault, loving old as poo poo process die shrink your poo poo already GPU vendors god drat

Perhaps since HBM is new tech they're having trouble getting a lot of it made so it'll just be on the high end stuff, and maybe it'll actually be super impressive! One can hope, because gently caress me AMD are really shooting themselves in the foot, they're not competing with nvidia well enough for them to matter. This is starting to get a little worrying. A world where nvidia are unstoppable is not a world I want to live in. Competition is good.

I kinda feel like just selling my R9 290 and going nvidia asap.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I thought this might catch the interest of others. This is a particularly nifty trick that ASUS has pulled for their new 970s:

It's a shortened board, with dual inlets on the hamster-wheel fan for use in SLI setups: http://techreport.com/news/28229/asus-turbo-cooler-optimizes-the-gtx-970-for-sli

TechReport says ASUS claims a 7% improvement over reference.

cat doter posted:

I kinda feel like just selling my R9 290 and going nvidia asap.

Don't be so dramatic.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Well, that's a reference board, not a shortened board. Still, I could have used that back when I wound up having to pair a 3 fan gigabyte 970 with the 1 fan itx gigabyte just so the 3 fan would overshoot it by one and a half fans so they could both breathe.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Rebuilding my desktop since it wasn't POSTing last night. I'd like to do Skylake and 390x - lets hope I can get it together before Christmas?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Zero VGS posted:

Well, that's a reference board, not a shortened board. Still, I could have used that back when I wound up having to pair a 3 fan gigabyte 970 with the 1 fan itx gigabyte just so the 3 fan would overshoot it by one and a half fans so they could both breathe.

It looks like 2/3 the length of reference :confused:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The 970 leaks before it was announced showed a short board, so I think that is the actual reference design. What's sold as a "reference 970" now is actually the 980 reference PCB with a 970 core on it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

The 970 leaks before it was announced showed a short board, so I think that is the actual reference design. What's sold as a "reference 970" now is actually the 980 reference PCB with a 970 core on it.

That is correct, the true 970 reference board is literally a 670 board with a 970 soldered on. You'll see that board on the PNY and EVGA 970 blower models, and the cheapest dual-fan Zotac 970.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Zero VGS posted:

What did you end up doing with that setup? Because that's my setup and I hate it, both boards have barely any room to breathe hanging over my power supply because I run a mATX Gene why can't I plan these builds from the ground up like a smart person

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-fiji-xt-r9-390x-pictured-features-small-form-factor-water-cooling/

Watercooled with the radiator built in?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

It wouldn't be the first time a card shipped with a heatsink/radiator sticking off at a weird angle. I could swear I'd seen something laid out like that before, except that it was for one of those zero-noise, 100% passively-cooled cards for people who are into that sort of thing.

But more realistically, I think it's just a glamour shot and looks like a shortened board.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
That would make more sense, didn't notice how short it was.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
So after sleeping on it another night, I decided to just get a 980. There is no way the HT Vive or Oculus Rift CV1 will require anything more then that, they would be shutting off like 90% of their market, right? Like, even a year from now, I don't see a card coming out that would make the 980 a terrible choice for VR. In other words since I just got the 980, expect a 980ti to come out next week, you are welcome :).

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Poetic Justice posted:

So after sleeping on it another night, I decided to just get a 980. There is no way the HT Vive or Oculus Rift CV1 will require anything more then that, they would be shutting off like 90% of their market, right? Like, even a year from now, I don't see a card coming out that would make the 980 a terrible choice for VR. In other words since I just got the 980, expect a 980ti to come out next week, you are welcome :).

That's what I said about the Titan X. Heh, still no 980TI :) How do you put 2 of them in a machine with that rad on top of the card like that?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Reference watercooling for a single chip card? What TDP are they up to now :stonk:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

What did you end up doing with that setup? Because that's my setup and I hate it, both boards have barely any room to breathe hanging over my power supply because I run a mATX Gene why can't I plan these builds from the ground up like a smart person

I built it into a Z97 Gene as well, inside a Silverstone SG09 case. The power supply has independent airflow in that case. The whole build was awesome and whisper quiet, and I wound up selling it to a local goon for like $1600 or something and I haven't heard any complaints since.

I've since gone to ITX, non-SLA plays a lot nicer with my Oculus Rift.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

repiv posted:

Reference watercooling for a single chip card? What TDP are they up to now :stonk:

500w and it comes with it's own built in PSU and power cord. :getin:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Another pic surfaced, seems it is a tube-connected radiator like the 295X2.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
AMD needs to stop making things that make me want to blow money I don't have.

Or maybe they shouldn't. An Nvidia monopoly would be bad for everyone and that is one sexy goddamn card.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Don't be so dramatic.

It's no being dramatic, it's being pragmatic. The value of the card is probably gonna plummet pretty soon and I'm unhappy with the state of AMD's driver support (bad performance on new releases etc). I'm just gonna stick with nvidia from now on.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

repiv posted:

Another pic surfaced, seems it is a tube-connected radiator like the 295X2.

Oh so that's kind of nifty then. Can just drop straight in to a custom loop.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Zero VGS posted:

I built it into a Z97 Gene as well, inside a Silverstone SG09 case. The power supply has independent airflow in that case. The whole build was awesome and whisper quiet, and I wound up selling it to a local goon for like $1600 or something and I haven't heard any complaints since.

I've since gone to ITX, non-SLI plays a lot nicer with my Oculus Rift.
My case is actually a good deal bigger (Fractal Arc Mini), and the PSU is the typical early-2010s style with the PSU facing the floor, fan through an unrestrictive air filter. I went with a good deal of positive pressure for the rest of the case though--two 140mm fans pushing down from the ceiling and two 120mms feeding the CPU's water cooler through the front where the coolest air is. Exhausts are a 120mm rear and 140mm side.

My issue is that I'm pushing the 970s really hard with my stupidly expensive monitor and it's making the case both hot and loud. Hot, because positive pressure, and loud, because of the relative openness of the case to my ears to get all that airflow through.

Basically what I'm trying to say is I've entered veedubfreak territory and need to get a dB measurement device ASAP. I'm wondering if I should either get a new case or stop with the SLI setup

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I don't buy video cards often and was wondering how much better exactly would the cooling performance be between, say, an ASUS GTX 970 and an eVGA one on ACX 2.0? I'm trying to keep a single card setup that will handle the output in non-gaming for 2 4K monitors and a 34" ultrawide and that will require a combo of 3 DisplayPort or HDMI outputs which none of the ASUS or MSI cards carry among GTX 970s. To further restrict options, I have a mini ITX case and the maximum card length is about 11.5" so Gigabyte cards are out. Otherwise, I'm looking at a stupid GTX 980 for better coolers and the output ports. I'm not sure when I'll go buy the other monitors but it would be within a year. Sounds like future proofing but gaming is not my priority. Screens and low noise and heat at idle are my priorities while being able to play something at 3440x1440 without questioning my video card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

veedubfreak posted:

Oh so that's kind of nifty then. Can just drop straight in to a custom loop.

I doubt it'll be that easy, but it'd be cool none the less.