Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

blacksun posted:

As do I, which is why you should join the Greens a try to get their stance on this changed.

change from within

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

dr_rat posted:

Honestly if the budget goes south its probably more likely Abbott and hockey will get the toss. Abbott tied to close to Hockey and a bad budget will condemns them both.

Which is why this budget is looking to be safe as hell.

I agree. If Hockey goes, Abbott goes by the end of June.

It should be a gentle budget. Should.I just don't know if Hockey is clever/tough enough to fight off more stupid proposals that somehow get traction in the party room that a Treasurer would normally bullet - or quit.

The 2014 budget was the personification of Hockey. Clumsy, blundering, thoughtless and smug. One of our worst Treasurers I can recall.

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.

Tokamak posted:

change from within

Except the party in question isn't run by a bunch of neo-liberal lite poo poo-lords who won't ever allow anything to change from their trajectory towards the centre.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

:itwaspoo:

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Anidav posted:

It's not like Mario Kart, no Bullet Bill is going to put you in first place again

I think you mean spiky turtle shell, m8

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

"Electoral Milk"

Sensing a new avatar for Anidav.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Apparently Tracy Grimshaw fell unconscious after she got thrown from a horse today. She's probably hallucinating Lebanese building workers and kitchen germs right now.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Graic Gabtar posted:

"Electoral Milk"

Sensing a new avatar for Anidav.

This is the best thing Ciarg has ever posted.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
No thanks.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

blacksun posted:

As do I, which is why you should join the Greens a try to get their stance on this changed.

EDIT: I've had this discussion with QM and a bunch of other people here before who insist that nuclear will play no role in the future of power generation. They are wrong. That said, I think the large majority of Australia's power coming from renewables is both possible, worth pursuing and the most likely outcome. That said there are situations where having small scale nuclear reactors is the only thing that makes sense, and will inevitably happen, even if Australia is a late adopter of the technology. By that point, the Greens stance will likely have changed anyway.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahaahahahahahhahajahshajashksdfjdafkhjkjha

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

blacksun posted:

Except the party in question isn't run by a bunch of neo-liberal lite poo poo-lords who won't ever allow anything to change from their trajectory towards the centre.

no, it's run by people with intelligence

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

If we do go to an early election I wonder what Coalition policies will be. After they went back on most of their 2013 promises we'll probably just see them talking about vaguely needing to fix mess, and boasting about boats and the carbon tax.

If they do go with a specific big policy I think it will be a gamble by putting an unpopular policy forward, like increasing the GST.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hockey getting the boot would be all my Christmases come at once. I want to see those fat, sweaty tears.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

No thanks.

C'mon! There's a glass and a half in every Senate bill block!

Alphie
Feb 21, 2015

Senor Tron posted:

If we do go to an early election I wonder what Coalition policies will be. After they went back on most of their 2013 promises we'll probably just see them talking about vaguely needing to fix mess, and boasting about boats and the carbon tax.

If they do go with a specific big policy I think it will be a gamble by putting an unpopular policy forward, like increasing the GST.

Well they conveniently made it so the pension increases that were mentioned today don't happen until 2017. Sneaky that.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Green street cred: just went and voted Green in the UK election even though I'm coming back to Australia in a few months.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

I think you mean spiky turtle shell, m8

Nope, the Bullet Bill autopilots you ahead at a breakneck pace. The spiky shell just nukes the guy in first. Bullet Bill is the more accurate item to refer to here.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Nope, the Bullet Bill autopilots you ahead at a breakneck pace. The spiky shell just nukes the guy in first. Bullet Bill is the more accurate item to refer to here.

Mariowned.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Are we still talking about nuclear power in australia seriously? what?

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

"In one dimension I find existence, in two I find life, but in three, I find freedom."

Matthew Beet posted:

No, but, you see, despite the fact that Australia has no existing nuclear plants and that it would be prohibitively expensive and take absolutely years to construct them nuclear power makes perfect sense because...

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Matthew Beet posted:

But how else are we going to become a modern, forward looking, cyberpunk, dystopia?

gently caress, if our future isn't destined to be at least somewhat similar to Mad Max, why the hell are we still living here?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

freebooter posted:

Green street cred: just went and voted Green in the UK election even though I'm coming back to Australia in a few months.

quote:

Here’s a rare case of a candidate who doesn’t want any votes – and may not even mark an X next to his own name. James Parker, the Green candidate for the south London marginal of Eltham, has told his supporters they should give their votes to Labour, Jessica Elgot reports.

Parker, whose south London constituency is a Labour seat with a slim marginal of under 1,700 votes, told the Guardian he wanted to see Ed Miliband as prime minister.

“If you are voting Green in Eltham as a protest, do vote for Clive Efford, the Labour candidate,” Parker said. “If you really feel Green in your heart, then vote for me, but it is more important that we don’t have a Conservative government.”

Parker, who said he was genuinely still torn as to whether he would vote for himself, said he was hoping for Green victories in some of the closer seats, like Brighton Pavilion and Bristol West, but said he did not want people to vote Green where candidates, like him, could not win and where Labour was battling Tories.

Parker, a former Labour party member who left after the Iraq war, said. he wanted to see “a Labour government with Green influence.”

“The centre ground is between the Greens and Labour now,” he said. “I think as a party we could have played it better at this tactically, and stood down in areas where Labour were fighting the Conservatives, and Labour could have stood back in seats where we might win from the Lib Dems and the Tories.

“I’d like to see us work together. We on the left should not give in to competitive self-interest.”

:confused: as gently caress.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Labour Left had some pretty good spies, I guess.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
doesn't the uk have fptp

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Seagull posted:

doesn't the uk have fptp

actively rejected preferential voting at a referendum a few years back

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Anidav posted:

:confused: as gently caress.

First past the post system. Unlike our objectively superior preferential system the most votes there alone = winner. Bo one wants to be Ralph Nader.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Quantum Mechanic posted:

actively rejected preferential voting at a referendum a few years back

Thank you Rik Mayal and the Tories for that.

One of John Howard's finest moments when asked about how complex this preference system was when he was over in England was his reaction of essentially 'are you all stupid?'

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-12974935

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Lid posted:

Thank you Rik Mayal and the Tories for that.

You make it sound like those are separate groups.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah, it's really eye-opening to come here and realise just how hosed their voting system is - not just FPTP, but an unelected upper house. At least in Australia if you live in a safe seat your Senate vote counts for something.

The media is always banging on about why The Youth are so apathetic and disconnected, and all I can think is - why wouldn't they be?

edit - although it's worth mentioning that as far as FPTP is concerned, the UK isn't behind the curve, Australia is well ahead of it. This might blow your collective minds but Australia is actually a really good and progressive country in a lot of ways.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Matthew Beet posted:

I still think thorium would be excellent. Especially for side benefits like harvesting rare earth metal byproducts, or using up existing nuclear waste. But no one ever seems to mean that when they talk nuclear - they just assume more of the same old same old uranium junk, and that can get stuffed.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
FYI, D&D already solved our future energy sourcing needs: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3713507

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Bifauxnen posted:

I still think thorium would be excellent. Especially for side benefits like harvesting rare earth metal byproducts, or using up existing nuclear waste. But no one ever seems to mean that when they talk nuclear - they just assume more of the same old same old uranium junk, and that can get stuffed.

This short video should hopefully help us with the discussion:

http://youtu.be/AcS3NOQnsQM

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Birdstrike posted:

FYI, D&D already solved our future energy sourcing needs: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3713507

Composting shitposts could provide all the energy we ever need!

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
UN calls for independent monitor at Nauru detention centre

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/05/07/23/05/un-calls-for-monitor-on-nauru

quote:

The United Nations has reportedly called for an independent mechanism to monitor Australia's detention centre on Nauru.
The president of the UN's sub-committee on torture prevention, Malcom Evans, is urging for the provision after inspecting the centre this week.
The Guardian newspaper says UN representatives were allowed to photograph and interview asylum seekers away from the presence of guards during the visit.

The move follows suggestions by UN special rapporteur on torture, Juan Mendez, that prolonged detention like that on Nauru could contravene international conventions.
"Given the number of people currently being held on the island, the establishment of a national preventative mechanism to address their needs and their situation becomes even more pressing," Evans said.
The call also comes a day after Immigration Minister Peter Dutton announced the imminent transfer of the first batch of Nauru detainees to Cambodia.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Wasnt the first batch of eager new cambodians due last week or the week before?

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.

Bifauxnen posted:

Moving towards renewables immediately and then later including small modular reactors (whether they be thorium which would be preferable or later gen uranium) would be suitable.

It's the same points I've brought up previously. Critical infrastructure such as hospitals and government facilities, ultra remote locations that are not feasible be connected to the renewable grid, the shipping industry etc are all examples of where the renewable grid simply isn't suitable to service.

In Australia at least, there's no real need for a nuclear industry for baseload generation or to form any core component of general capacity, though I'm also not against it if public opinion shifts, as it will as those born during the Cold War die out.

Have the Greens policies regarding Lucas Heights and medical reactors changed? Because this is a much larger concern to me.

Nautilus42
Jan 14, 2008
Unrelated sea creature

blacksun posted:

Have the Greens policies regarding Lucas Heights and medical reactors changed? Because this is a much larger concern to me.

This is a great question. I believe this is something that the NSW Greens put as policy and should have a very good look in to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

UKPol, but still

quote:

First figures put Conservatives on 316 seats and Labour on 239, with the night looking to shape up badly for Labour in Glasgow, Nigel Farage in South Thanet while the Lib Dems insist they will end up with more than 10 seats

:gonk:

• Locked thread