Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comma Chameleon
Apr 30, 2008

http://www.reddit.com/r/simracing/comments/354818/project_cars_and_its_physics/

Reddit is a low hanging fruit but you can get a good sample of the usual arguments here, a few choice examples:

quote:

I've been only playing it for about an hour now so I don't really have that much to say yet.

I tried the Mercedes GT3 car first. I feel like it had too much grip. It's like AC and its GT2/3 cars having tremendous amounts of grip. It's probably like that in the real world, but it's not really fun driving a car on rails for me.

quote:

I'll probably get downvoted for this, but Project Cars is anything but a simulator, as far as handling is concerned - you don't feel "connected" to the road. Its somewhat fun to drive, but i also don't like the fact that the tracks aren't accurate with the real ones. I'd say its arcade with slight feeling of simulator, pretty much what Grid Autosport was supposed to be.

quote:

It's a great game, and going to be a real treat for console owners accustomed to GT and Forza, but it does not achieve the feeling of realism offered by games like Assetto Corsa, iRacing, or Rfactor.

quote:

Regardless of how different the game is supposed to be from Shift 2, (a game I actually enjoyed for what it was, and played the hell out of) there is a certain woodenness to the cars that reminds me quite a bit of Shift 2's physics. I have a very hard time believing that pCars' physics were not built, at least partially, upon the original code written for Shift 2.

quote:

I pretty much own every racing game and this is the first one I've actually given away in disgust (I was a development donator so I gave my key away)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The first two are hilarious. Simulation is true to life, somehow disappointed. And tracks not accurate. Jesus gently caress, the community nearly drove the track artists to group suicide with their nitpicking, but apparently it wasn't enough.

--edit: My wheel doesn't work anymore in Windows 10. :toot:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 7, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

GutBomb posted:

I've been reading the forums some more and apparently "btw in terms of surface bumps etc the forces are there, theyre the z parameter, try messing w/ it and/or the master spindle setting"

I'll mess with the Z parameters when I get home and see if i can increase the vibration force without making the wheel heavy.

Thanks, I'll have a look now, I've just 'finished work' ha ha

advion
Jul 25, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Since the WMD forums are hidden and don't allow new users, is there anywhere that's compiled the best wheel settings and recommendations for the game?

They are launching a community forum and it's being set up now. I believe yesterday their eta was "a couple days".

People complaining that there is too much grip and then saying they play iRacing makes me laugh. These cars are built to be grippy and as easy to drive as possible that's how racing cars are.

I've read a lot of the feedback from Ben Collins, Nic Hamilton, Oli Webb and if they are happy with how things feel then so am I. I'll believe them before I believe some random armchair racing driver who complains about too much grip.

I also think people think they are entitled to laser scanned tracks in every game now and that's just stupid.

advion fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 7, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The guys asking about my wheel settings.

The only thing I've messed with outside of calibration stuff are my pedal deadzones.

I can feel all the curbs, and things like when I'm on the edge of my grip.

Is it the wheel weight that bothers you? I tend to go a bit lighter with my wheel, so the defaults feel nice for me.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
OK so this is a lot better now, Ginetta Junior on Laguna Seca, I have put the force feedback to max and also put the Buttkicker on and that helps a lot, rumble strips are a million times better now I can feel them in my rear end.
Having a lot of fun, I have put my toys back in my pram and cheered up a lot.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yeah. Butt kicker adds a lot to the game.

I forgot I saw you posting about having one in the elite thread.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
The dependability of this game's bugs is pretty funny.

Go on any track in practice mode. Full throttle, turn right or left hard, don't let off.

Watch now as your computer completely comes apart.

The other fun stuff of "And sometimes when you switch what direction you're turning to, your character will just disagree and continue to turn in the wrong direction!" is pretty neat too. Super realistic, that, my hands just going the wrong way. Ho ho ho.

quaunaut fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 7, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

There's something hosed with your setup my friend.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Norns posted:

There's something hosed with your setup my friend.

Control setup or in terms of bugs? For the former, I'm now on my 6th attempt at having controls that Will Make the Game Better™, and even got it in defaults.

In terms of bugs, well, I've got a brand new 970, 16gb RAM, and an i5-3570k, with the settings turned down a bit from high. So if it's with my setup, then that's pretty awful considering how much I overpower these settings.

Edit: It should be said, I've seen others complain of these bugs in some of the reddit threads too. Yaaaaay.

quaunaut fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 7, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'm on a I5 2500k @4.4 and a 780Ti with almost everything maxed out except AA and I'm not seeing anything like that.

In only playing at 1080 right now though.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

quaunaut posted:

The other fun stuff of "And sometimes when you switch what direction you're turning to, your character will just disagree and continue to turn in the wrong direction!" is pretty neat too. Super realistic, that, my hands just going the wrong way. Ho ho ho.

I have that problem when carts get stuck on my rear bumper.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Anyone tried to drift? I'm hoping for forza levels of fun/realism so I can have a nice fun time with my friends.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Anyone got any good suggestions on the config for a 360 pad such as sensitivity and such? I'd use my wheel but its in storage and I'm trying to find a config that isn't so twitchy.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Shadowlz posted:

I have that problem when carts get stuck on my rear bumper.

I get it when even alone on a practice track(where I've spent 80% of my time now).

And even with someone pushing against you, it shouldn't make your hands actually physically be turning the wrong direction.

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

I think that is actually a real tree?

Turns out the Snetterton scary tree is a thing yeah. As awesome as that is the damned thing totally cost me a race. :)

Suffering through Caterham Sevens in rain now, fun has plummeted. I miss Karts so much.

advion
Jul 25, 2005

Norns posted:

I'm on a I5 2500k @4.4 and a 780Ti with almost everything maxed out except AA and I'm not seeing anything like that.

Same setup for the most part but I'm at 4.2ghz and running at 3440x1440. Haven't had any issues for the last 20 dev builds.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Everything has clicked into place for me and this is a loving blast now, totally sold on it.

It's good in the Rift as well, but I haven't had much time to mess with it, the key for me has been get in a low powered car and rev the poo poo out of it in a controlled way. The graphics are just something else and the weather just changed mid race, it blew me away to be honest how convincing it was.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Thunderstorms at night on a track like Imola is terrifying. I did a few laps in a lotus 49 that way. Highly recommend.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Illuminated Rodent posted:

Suffering through Caterham Sevens in rain now, fun has plummeted. I miss Karts so much.
It was interesting driving that car for the first time, ended up going completely sideways around the first major corner.

Going back and forth between the Sevens and Karts for those two invitationals is a little jarring, they couldn't possibly handle any more differently from each other.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Bape Culture posted:

Anyone tried to drift? I'm hoping for forza levels of fun/realism so I can have a nice fun time with my friends.

Drifting around Sonoma with the Mercedes hatchback in the rain was great fun last night.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Do we still not have a Steam group for this game? Do I really have to make it? I'll probably be the least active, and when I will be active, I'll be in last place.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I tried out Kart. If you guys think that is bad, just try game stock car. I couldn't even make myself spin out. You guys are bad. Sorry

I'm about ready to call this the best racing game of all time

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
So I managed to jump into the top 100 on the community event while my buddy landed himself in the top 40. The problem I am having with a controller is not the degree of control I have with all the assists off, its the complete lack of feedback. The rumble feature for Forza 5 let me know the EXACT moment I lost traction. In this game, you might as well turn it off because it just rumbles for no god drat apparent reason. I seriously thought my hands were going numb.

I'd say though, that this isn't as hardcore simulation as I thought it was. I really thought I was going to have to buy a wheel and pedals in order to have a chance at running fast. I'm glad to see I was wrong, as this is probably my preferred level of realism (just under simulation) and its graphically beautiful.

--Does anyone know why my car seems to stick to a dude if we rub sides and slow you both down dramatically? Its pretty annoying to have battles in the turns and constantly slow down because I lightly tapped or was tapped. Is there a way to turn it off?

--What shifts faster? Clutch or no clutch. I could give a gently caress about clutching unless your shift time is shorter

--To you controller players, what speed sense are you finding works for you?

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

ethanol posted:

I tried out Kart. If you guys think that is bad, just try game stock car. I couldn't even make myself spin out. You guys are bad. Sorry

I'm about ready to call this the best racing game of all time

Pft, Burnout 3: Takedown best racer, man.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Endbuster posted:

So I managed to jump into the top 100 on the community event while my buddy landed himself in the top 40. The problem I am having with a controller is not the degree of control I have with all the assists off, its the complete lack of feedback. The rumble feature for Forza 5 let me know the EXACT moment I lost traction. In this game, you might as well turn it off because it just rumbles for no god drat apparent reason. I seriously thought my hands were going numb.

I'd say though, that this isn't as hardcore simulation as I thought it was. I really thought I was going to have to buy a wheel and pedals in order to have a chance at running fast. I'm glad to see I was wrong, as this is probably my preferred level of realism (just under simulation) and its graphically beautiful.

--Does anyone know why my car seems to stick to a dude if we rub sides and slow you both down dramatically? Its pretty annoying to have battles in the turns and constantly slow down because I lightly tapped or was tapped. Is there a way to turn it off?

--What shifts faster? Clutch or no clutch. I could give a gently caress about clutching unless your shift time is shorter

--To you controller players, what speed sense are you finding works for you?

The FFB is weird. It's definitely not right on the controller. I can't blame the game too much though, microsoft's drivers are simply inadequate.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Superkarts at hockenheim tonight fuckyall when i get home.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

ethanol posted:

The FFB is weird. It's definitely not right on the controller. I can't blame the game too much though, microsoft's drivers are simply inadequate.

I seem to recall a gaming platform made by this M$ company you speak of. I think they developed the controller I am playing the game on. Oh wait, OOHGOD THEY DID!?

But it in all seriousness, thanks for the insight... makes sense.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Endbuster posted:

I seem to recall a gaming platform made by this M$ company you speak of. I think they developed the controller I am playing the game on. Oh wait, OOHGOD THEY DID!?

But it in all seriousness, thanks for the insight... makes sense.
Yup, and PC drivers were an afterthought just like they were in 2005, so naturally it's worse and they completely hosed up FFB compared to how it is on X1

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Illuminated Rodent posted:

Turns out the Snetterton scary tree is a thing yeah. As awesome as that is the damned thing totally cost me a race. :)
From Snetterton's own twitter:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The worst part of the controller issues is they had the xbox one rumble triggers working for pc at one point. They demoed the controller on PCs first. :argh:

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
I find it hilarious you guys are blaming MS for this game's lovely controller handling, when I've literally not had a single problem with any other of a dozen games with my One controller, it's just this, in a game that you already acknowledge has serious control issues in other regards

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010

Wallrod posted:

Alright I cave, Snatterton is the best racetrack.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Stop playing this game with a controller, god drat

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

quaunaut posted:

I find it hilarious you guys are blaming MS for this game's lovely controller handling, when I've literally not had a single problem with any other of a dozen games with my One controller, it's just this, in a game that you already acknowledge has serious control issues in other regards

I find it halarious that you keep blaming the controlls.

I was just talking about the FFB. And so was everyone else.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

quaunaut posted:

Handling and FFB are two very different things, chief and it's pretty important for racing games compared to diablo 3 or whatever

Halkenguard
Sep 20, 2012

This may or may not be something completely stupid.
I have a question for all yous guys who have already purchased the game.

Is there any kind of system in place (like iRacing's SR) to keep the online racing clean and wreck free?
If not, what is there to keep me from making GBS threads up race servers with bumper car action?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Wallrod posted:

That fuckin tree makes me laugh everytime it comes into view to such an extent that I nearly crash

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

ethanol posted:

Handling and FFB are two very different things, chief and it's pretty important for racing games compared to diablo 3 or whatever

Yeah, and zero issues with Corza, Elite, DiRT Rally, GTA 5, etc etc etc. If it were nothing but losing grip at random rear end times I'd say fine, maybe I'm just bad(even though I've been at this awhile without issue), but when I have repeated instances of not updating turn direction, throttle bugginess(once again, as your car drives out to begin qualifying, just hold down throttle and watch it freak out the moment you've got manual control) and just plain feeling awful because of terrible defaults, that's just poo poo on the developer's side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

quaunaut posted:

Yeah, and zero issues with Corza, Elite, DiRT Rally, GTA 5, etc etc etc.

you're just being ignorant then, nobody said games were unplayable, but the ffb is 100x better on xbox one if you ever try it

• Locked thread