Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ProfessorCirno posted:

Oh no Drizzt inspires characters to try to make their own "special snowflake" characters, AKA PCs THAT ARE INTERESTING. 1985 AD&D's Unearthed Arcana brought out drow and what do you know, "Drow are generally evil and chaotic in nature, though player characters are not required to be so. A dark elf player character is considered an outcast from his or her homeland deep within the earth, whether by matter of choice, alignment, or merely being on the losing side of some family-wide power struggle." Oh but that doesn't count for reasons!

Wasn't Drizzt an actual PC from a campaign that its author was playing, and that he was a good-but-outcast Drow specifically because of the playable-PC clause in the race's description?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The only thing I remember about Drizzt was finding some white supremist's blog where he talks about how Drizzt isn't really black, because elves are like europeans or something, so it's okay to like him.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wasn't Drizzt an actual PC from a campaign that its author was playing, and that he was a good-but-outcast Drow specifically because of the playable-PC clause in the race's description?

The answer is far funnier than that.

R.A. Salvatore, Dark Elf Trilogy Introduction posted:

I knew where Drizzt was conceived, of course: in my office, at my day job. And I knew when he came into being: July 1987, right after my proposal to write The Crystal Shard had been accepted, and right before I actually started writing the book.

It was one of the strangest episodes of my writing career. At the time I began writing the asked-for proposal, the FORGOTTEN REALMS setting was nothing more than a prototype and a single novel, the excellent Darkwalker on Moonshae by Doug Niles. When TSR asked me to write a Realms book they sent me all that they had, which amounted to...Darkwalker on Moonshae. Thus I came to believe that the Moonshae Isles were the FORGOTTEN REALMS setting.

Well, the Moonshaes aren't that large a place. Any epic story taking place in that region at that time would have to at least mention the storyline and characters of Doug's fine book. I was thrilled at the prospect of working with Doug Niles, but I didn't want to steal his characters. I cam up with a compromise that involved Daryth from Doug's book to introduce the hero of my book: Wulfgar, son of Beornegar, of the barbarian tribes of Icewind Dale.

When I later discovered the actual size and scope of the Realms and was told that TSR did not want to share characters (as they did with the DRAGONLANCE saga), I was truly relieved, and that was the end of it--for a time.

Then the proposal got accepted, and when Mary Kirchoff, then senior editor in TSR's book department, told me I'd be writing the second FORGOTTEN REALMS novel, she reminded me that now we had to set the book thousands of miles from Doug's stomping ground, I needed a new sidekick for Wulfgar. I assured her that I'd get right on it and come up with something the following week.

"No, Bob," she responded, words I seem to hear too often from editors. "You don't understand. I'm going into a meeting right now to sell this proposal. I need a sidekick."

"Now?" I, in my never-before-in-the-world-of-publishing naivete, responded.

"Right now," she answered, rather smugly.

And then it happened. I don't know how. I don't know why. I merely said, "A drow."

There came a pause, followed by, in a slightly hesitant tone, "A dark elf?"

"Yeah," I said, growing more confident as the character began to take more definite shape in my mind. "A drow ranger."

The pause was longer this time. Then, in barely a whisper, the tremor of having to go tell this one to the mucky-mucks evident in her tone, she said, "What's his name?"

"Drizzt Do'Urden, of D'aermon N'achezbaeron, Ninth House of Menzoberranzan."

"Oh." Another pause. "Can you spell that?"

"Not a chance."

"A drow ranger?"

"Yup."

"Drizzit?" she asked.

"Drizzt," I corrected, for the first of 7.3 million times.

"Okay," the beleaguered editor agreed, probably thinking she could change my mind later.

But she didn't, of course. This is a testament to Mary Kirchoff: she let the creative person she hired do the creative thing and waited to see the result before taking out the hatchet (which never appeared).

Thus was Drizzt born. Did I ever run him in a game? Nope. Is there anyone I based him on? Nope. He just happened, unexpectedly and with very little forethought. He was suppose to be a sidekick, after all; a curiosity piece with a slightly different twist. You know: like Robin to Batman, or Kato to the Green Hornet.

It didn't work out that way. In the first chapter of The Crystal Shard Drizzt ran across the tundra and got ambushed by a yeti. By page three, I knew.

Drizzt was the star of it all.

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 7, 2015

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Holy poo poo that is amazing.

I mean

quote:

The pause was longer this time. Then, in barely a whisper, the tremor of having to go tell this one to the mucky-mucks evident in her tone, she said, "What's his name?"

"Drizzt Do'Urden, of D'aermon N'achezbaeron, Ninth House of Menzoberranzan."

"Oh." Another pause. "Can you spell that?"

"Not a chance."

I'm loving dying oh my god

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 7, 2015

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

LightWarden posted:

One of the funnier things about Raistlin is his name occasionally pops up when people talk about dump stats and how you're a power gamer if your wizard dumps Strength or Charisma, wondering why those munchkins aren't more like Raistlin and put themselves through the actual dangers of playing a low-Constitution/low-health character. DL01- Dragons of Despair has the write-ups for the various protagonists and Raistlin's talks about how he wound up at the towers and passed the tests at a terrible cost to his health. His Constitution is 10.

(as is his Strength and Charisma)

To be fair, with only 8 hit points, he is still frail as gently caress.

E: haha, no reason for a synopsis now.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The problem with Drizzt is that TSR, and Wizard's of the Coast, based half of everything in the Forgotten Realms around him and pushed him because it was the metaplot era. Another problem is that R.A. Salvatore doesn't play anything but 1st edition D&D so Drizzt is no longer relevant other than that he's a character in the Forgotten Realms and can be described with some D&D based adjectives. He also does things that couldn't be explained with 3.X, same was true with Elminster, and WotC didn't know what to do.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Heliotrope posted:

Holy poo poo that is amazing.

I mean

I'm loving dying oh my god

Every legacy starts somewhere.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
R.A. Salvatore is super Jersey too so just read everything in that voice.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

MonsterEnvy posted:

All I am here to post is that I think the Adventure will probably be good and that the Cover looks sweet as hell.

That is a great looking Demogorgon.
Oh poo poo Demogorgon finally looks loving scary. Although the 80s cartoon version was pretty cute. :3:

Kurieg posted:

Is Drizzt literally immortal now? Even accounting for him being a Drow it's been a couple hundred years in world since 3.5e.
He's not even middle-aged. Just world weary. (I assume? I havent read a Drizzt thing since ... uh ... I forget the title. It was the one where he spun around and everyone died but he restrained himself from becoming The Hunter. :v: Until this thread I didnt know he was in Neverwinter? Im so behind.)

ProfessorCirno posted:

Fun note for those whinging about Drizzt - pretty sure The Crystal Shard was written
The first six (Crystal Shard and the three origin/underdark ones) were pretty amazing for widening/enriching "look at the poo poo you can do with these mixed settings when you fill them out". .. But then they kept going.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Like "In MY setting ALL DROW ARE EVIL" is the dumbest groggy bullshit because that wasn't even true by like the mid-80's
Yeah. There was a few Dragon articles that exposed a lot of people to Drow, back when all that existed was a Fiend Folio entry. Renegade Drow were already a thing, its just that Salvatore made it a thing with a massive context. (Which was cool.)

All this Drow talk is making me want to go find the Jarlaxle books. I never read those. I need something pulpy and entertaining.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The problem with Drizzt is that TSR, and Wizard's of the Coast, based half of everything in the Forgotten Realms around him and pushed him because it was the metaplot era. Another problem is that R.A. Salvatore doesn't play anything but 1st edition D&D so Drizzt is no longer relevant other than that he's a character in the Forgotten Realms and can be described with some D&D based adjectives. He also does things that couldn't be explained with 3.X, same was true with Elminster, and WotC didn't know what to do.

Nah, this isn't very accurate. He's part of three big metaplot events from 1E to 3E: the rebuilding of Mithril Hall, the war against Menzo, and the war against Many Arrows. He has nothing to do with the Avatar crisis, the exploration of Maztica, the Horde invasion, the return of Shade, the Rage of Dragons or any of the other big metaplot events. Hell, he's barely even mentioned in the War of the Spider Queen.

And every character in D&D novels does stuff that can't be explained by the rules.

R.A. Salvatore is super Jersey too so just read everything in that voice.

He's from Massachusettes. Stop being wrong about my favorite schlock! :v:

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 7, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Drizzt's not even super mary sueish. He's a hero and hero's tend to win in the end, but actually powerful creatures tend to hand him his rear end.

In the most recent trilogy of books him and his entire party were attacked by a Lich that the Rogue had pissed off a few years ago. The Lich was handing them their asses and after they realized they were going to die horribly the plan became survive and distract the Lich long enough for our Wizard to get the Imprisonment scroll to go off and trap him in a Gem.
Then in the lastest books he ended up fighting a White Dragon Twice (The same one that features in Rise of Tiamat) first time they fight he just gets knocked off a cliff then blasted with Cold Breath and dragon assumes him dead, which he would have had his wife not cast a cold resist spell on him because it was snowy outside. He even forgot about the spell and thought he was dead for a while. Instead he was just in incredible pain and needed a lot of healing.
The second time he faced the dragon was as a rider for a Copper Dragon. He was nearly useless as he could not hurt the dragon enough with his shots to make a difference and he could not hit the enemy dragon rider. (Eventually going for the admittedly cool tactic of shooting his opponents saddle's binds so it and he would fall off the dragon during their fight 1000 feet in the air).

The closest thing to a mary sueish thing that involved him in the last book was at the very end were it looked like his Goddess had channeled her power through him to dispel a powerful effect that blotted out the sun in that region. He actually had nothing to do with it. The villain who helped set it up Gromph dispelled it and just used his magic trickery to make it look like Drizzt did it. Probably for some evil plan he has that involves all of these Demon Lords as Gromph is supposed to be the one responsible for summoning them according to the Out of the Abyss synopsis.

PeterWeller posted:

the war against Many Arrows.

Were Obould kicked his rear end once and fought in him to a draw a 2nd time despite Obould losing all of his magic gear due to Drow trickery and Drizzt having a super powerful magic sword. (Obould was literally naked and Drizzt could not beat him and this was years ago don't know why so many people think he is a mary sue).

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 7, 2015

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

FRINGE posted:

All this Drow talk is making me want to go find the Jarlaxle books. I never read those. I need something pulpy and entertaining.

On the note of Salvatore and this, here's the greatest Jarlaxle story that will ever exist:

quote:

...I mean, I remember one time when I was writing a book called Servant of the Shard. For the first time, two characters, Artemis Entreri and the dark elf Jarlaxle were going to be the protagonist of the books. And Jarlaxle is kind of like my walking deus ex machina, he’s got like the Batman utility belt. So no matter what comes at him, he’s got some weird magic item that he can use to counter it. And he would just make cameos doing that. It was fun. So all of a sudden, for the first time I’m going to feature this guy in a book, and I was really excited about it until I realized I had no idea what he’s actually got for magic items. I mean, there are too many of them that I’ve put in there. And so I went to an internet….message board, anonymously, and I started a thread called “Let’s Inventory Jarlaxle’s Cool Items” or something like that. And a few days later, I came back and downloaded this ten page thread where people were telling me everything he had, what page in what book it appeared in. It was very cool.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ProfessorCirno posted:

On the note of Salvatore and this, here's the greatest Jarlaxle story that will ever exist:

I gotta say, I don't read the guy's books, but these quotes are really making me like Salvatore.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

FRINGE posted:

As someone who inflicts FR books on himself, the Jarlaxle books are definitely pulpy and entertaining and not The House of Vipers, so go for it.

The running gag of Jarlaxle pretending to be The Noble And Good Drow Seeking Redemption, Drizzt whenever he goes into a town because he is probably the only named dark elf people have heard of is pretty great.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Night10194 posted:

I gotta say, I don't read the guy's books, but these quotes are really making me like Salvatore.

Yeah, I agree. He seems pretty cool.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Any animosity I ever felt towards R.A.Salvatore completely loving evaporated when I heard him introduce himself as "Bob Salvatore" on a podcast. He comes across as incredibly genuine and likeable.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The entire problem with Drizzt, drow, and PCs of evil races is how to deal with fantasy racism. Some players like to treat demihumans as humans with different starting stats, others care a whole bunch about cultural differences and are going to expect any PC orc, goblin, drow, etc to get attacked on sight by villagers.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PeterWeller posted:

Nah, this isn't very accurate. He's part of three big metaplot events from 1E to 3E: the rebuilding of Mithril Hall, the war against Menzo, and the war against Many Arrows. He has nothing to do with the Avatar crisis, the exploration of Maztica, the Horde invasion, the return of Shade, the Rage of Dragons or any of the other big metaplot events. Hell, he's barely even mentioned in the War of the Spider Queen.

And every character in D&D novels does stuff that can't be explained by the rules.

I'm not attacking Salvatore or the character, just how TSR and WotC handled it and why it makes people dislike the character. Drizzt for instance being shoehorned into both Baldur's Gates, same with Elminster, is a good example of pushing him.

Salvatore is a guy who writes a fantasy series based in a premade setting and it's not bad for schlock.

quote:

He's from Massachusettes. Stop being wrong about my favorite schlock! :v:

For some reason I remember his accent being a lot more outrageous.

EDIT:
Most of the hate I think should be pointed out is based on grognards and having that one guy at the table who really had to copy Drizzt because they were very unoriginal.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 7, 2015

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I'm not attacking Salvatore or the character, just how TSR and WotC handled it and why it makes people dislike the character. Drizzt for instance being shoehorned into both Baldur's Gates, same with Elminster, is a good example of pushing him.

Oh, I don't think you are. But I'm saying your criticism of TSR and WotC's treatment of him is unfounded. The BG games are the only time they actually shoehorned him into something, and as somebody else mentioned, in BG2, he's just another dude you can recruit for the assault on the vampires.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
D&D NEXT: Drizzt Appreciation Thread

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

dwarf74 posted:

D&D NEXT: Drizzt Appreciation Thread

Sometimes I think the Tradgames forum goes out of its way to find the prevailing opinion on a subject and argue against it because grogs and morons must always be wrong, and come up with supporting evidence after the fact.

I mean, they usually are, but just because a something is widely believed doesn't automatically mean it's wrong.

Still the least lovely forum on the subject mind you.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I have a Drizzt miniature that came with the old Kilsek Legion box set for the Chainmail tactical game WOTC flirted with before dumping it for plastic minis a decade ago. It's a weird model because he has a mohawk for some reason, but is otherwise verifiably Drizzt. Same armor, same twin scimitars. Always wondered if that model was sculpted based on some brief period where he was rocking a hawk.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
My exposure to Drizzt has mostly been through everyone's 13th totally-not-drizzt clone. So I'm glad to hear he's not actually that bad and more suffering from being an over-exposed parody of himself.

I would like them to actually devote some effort to making new characters, rather than figuring out excuses why everyone from 3.5 is still alive and being movers and shakers when the world has been through two or three uphevals in the past 170 years. I mean, a while back Neverwinter had Minsc and Boo show up with the flimsiest justification I've seen in a while (he was apparently petrified at some point after BG2 and then a wild mage cast a spell near said statue and Poof look Minsc and Boo look at that) just so that they could scratch people's nostalgia itch and get them back into playing the game.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Minsc was 2e, wasn't he?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Tunicate posted:

Minsc was 2e, wasn't he?

Yep, via Baldur's Gate.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
He would have still been alive in 3.5 though since there wasn't much time progression. 4e and 5e is when they did the 70 year jumps.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Forgotten Realms drow elves live longer than original flavor elves so who knows. I remember reading there are drow who are 900 or over a thousand years old without using magic.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

They're talking about Minsc, not Drizzt. Also, regular elves live as long as 1100 years in D&D, though I think Matron Baenre waa supposed to be the longest living elf, regular or drow, in the Realma before Bruenor killes her.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I just realized that. He's also in a grey area of being official/unofficial because the events of the Baldur's Gate games are not canon. Some elements are but as a whole they're a thing that gets ignored unless that's been changed recently.

Did they change this recently? I know he's in the new comic series that came out a short while ago but I assumed it wasn't canon or anything.

EDIT:
It seems to be tied into the whole Tyranny of Dragons adventure path, which is 5th ed and would make him pretty old.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 7, 2015

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

The games aren't official canon, but their novelizations are.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Night10194 posted:

The main thing is that he knows exactly who and what he is. I mean the dude was a factory worker by day, bouncer by night, who wanted to write his kinda dumb but ultimately entertaining fantasy books, and got the chance to do just that. By all accounts his's a great writer to hire out for because he gets his poo poo done without muss or fuss. He doesn't think of himself as GREATEST WRITER EVER because he frankly doesn't want to BE that.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

The main thing is that he knows exactly who and what he is. I mean the dude was a factory worker by day, bouncer by night, who wanted to write his kinda dumb but ultimately entertaining fantasy books, and got the chance to do just that. By all accounts his's a great writer to hire out for because he gets his poo poo done without muss or fuss. He doesn't think of himself as GREATEST WRITER EVER because he frankly doesn't want to BE that.

This actually makes me feel bad that I picked up some random book of his and started it, but couldn't get past the first chapter or so. Because I admire people like that, it's just I couldn't get into his writing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, that's the impression I get and it's really refreshing. Plus, it sounds like he's really happy doing his thing, his audience likes it a lot, and he's good at the thing he's doing, so good on him for managing to make a career doing creative stuff.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Daetrin posted:

This actually makes me feel bad that I picked up some random book of his and started it, but couldn't get past the first chapter or so. Because I admire people like that, it's just I couldn't get into his writing.
I mean, it's okay to like a guy and also not like his writing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I just realized that. He's also in a grey area of being official/unofficial because the events of the Baldur's Gate games are not canon. Some elements are but as a whole they're a thing that gets ignored unless that's been changed recently.

Did they change this recently? I know he's in the new comic series that came out a short while ago but I assumed it wasn't canon or anything.

EDIT:
It seems to be tied into the whole Tyranny of Dragons adventure path, which is 5th ed and would make him pretty old.

It seems to be at more or less his prime still because he a literal statue brought to life by WIld Magic.

Anyway Baldur's gate for sure happened in canon. The Murder in Baldur's gate Adventure was about the last two Bhaalspawn from the games dying and Bhaal coming back to life. The elf Coran is also a Duke of Baldur's gate for other fun facts.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.
In case you needed further reasons to like Salvatore, I point you toward this little snippet from a convention;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzpgAQpcp8o

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also link to some concept art for the new storyline

http://tribality.com/2015/05/06/rage-of-demons-storyline-art/

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

Generic Octopus posted:

I mean, it's okay to like a guy and also not like his writing.

And I want to like his writing! Pulp is crazy fun when you feel like a popcorn book. Oh well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Daetrin posted:

And I want to like his writing! Pulp is crazy fun when you feel like a popcorn book. Oh well.

You could try reading one of his books again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yeah, maybe that book you didn't enjoy will be different this time around.