Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

suddenlyissoon posted:

I realize there's a bajillion mods out (and I use a lot of them) but I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything new about future DLC? I remember reading an interview before the game was released where they sort of indicated that the low price of the game was due to the aggressive nature of DLC/Updates coming for a cost in the future...well, I'm ready and want to throw more money at this game for things like amusement parks, tunnels, new models, etc.

I remember seeing them cite Crusader Kings 2 as an example, which has quite a bit of DLC, both big and small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I remember seeing them cite Crusader Kings 2 as an example, which has quite a bit of DLC, both big and small.

That would be good. I'd hate it if they spent a lot of energy on DLC that just added buildings but didn't change gameplay, like expanding end-game or adding new mechanics (like having to vote in ordinances instead of just implementing them as Glorious Leader).

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Pile of Kittens posted:

That would be good. I'd hate it if they spent a lot of energy on DLC that just added buildings but didn't change gameplay, like expanding end-game or adding new mechanics (like having to vote in ordinances instead of just implementing them as Glorious Leader).

Making tourism a viable city specialization would be great. I hope the tunnel patch will also make underground stuff such as water pipes bit more involving. It is rather busyworky right now.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

When drawing subway lines, is there any non-aesthetic reason to make the curves gentle instead of just drawing a straight line between stations that results in a sharp turn at the station?

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

When drawing subway lines, is there any non-aesthetic reason to make the curves gentle instead of just drawing a straight line between stations that results in a sharp turn at the station?

Sharp turns probably slow the trains down a bit. I know it does for surface trains anyway. If the train is stopping at the station it's pretty much a moot point, but I guess through-trains would benefit from a gentler curve.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I do smooth curves just because it looks nicer.

Aesthetics is all this game has. :v:

Has anyone heard of any mod effort going into new infrastructure types? Like a two lane highway you can draw in one pass, or wider subway tubes, or even just some ploppable forks that cleanly transition between road types without making a janky intersection.

Like something that starts out as a bi-directional four way, and then forks into a pair of two lane one way roads.

I couldn't find anything on the workshop but maybe I just missed it. It seems like the sort of thing modders would go nuts to make.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I downloaded the Industrial Coffee Filter mod, thinking it would help me setting up new cities, but I can't figure out how in the hell I can actually get it to place on my map. It either hates being connected to roads or it complains that it needs to be placed next to a road. What do I have to do?

I hate spending 30 minutes drawing out the same roads every time I start a city :(

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Friction posted:

I hope the tunnel patch will also make underground stuff such as water pipes bit more involving. It is rather busyworky right now.

Is there a mod that removes the need for pipes, or sets their range to 10000 or something?

Also, how do you deal with gridlock on rail lines? I've had to disconnect my network from the external connection because the trains were backed up all the way to the edge of the map.

On a related note, are there any mods that add different graphics for trains, so that there's more variety?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sam. posted:

Also, how do you deal with gridlock on rail lines? I've had to disconnect my network from the external connection because the trains were backed up all the way to the edge of the map.

Someone said a ways back that every station attached to the regional lines will create trains at the edge of the map at specific intervals. So if you have a bunch of train stations it's very easy to get a logjam. Anecdotally this seems accurate to me, because once I started chopping off my commuter rail from the regional network a lot of problems disappeared. I also bulldozed a couple cargo stations and that helped too.

There's tricks out there to only put one station on the regional line then make a loop of road that connects to a second station that services your city and apparently this works well, but I think that might be overkill.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
You need to watch curves on subway lines as well. I watched metro trains get stuck negotiating a curve while a train was coming the other way.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Sockser posted:

I hate spending 30 minutes drawing out the same roads every time I start a city :(

Here, download this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=437491709. It's a debt-free starter city, connected to the highway with 7k Cims. Should be small enough that you can still grow it how you want.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Sam. posted:

On a related note, are there any mods that add different graphics for trains, so that there's more variety?
It's annoying, but by far the best way to deal with train gridlock it to strictly separate your internal/local and external/regional traffic. Up until recently it was thought that you had to have a janky road loop between two stations to pull this off, but some dude on reddit figured out that you can do it with just one station if it has a dead end. Search my post history, I linked to it like 3-4 posts ago.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Efexeye posted:

Here, download this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=437491709. It's a debt-free starter city, connected to the highway with 7k Cims. Should be small enough that you can still grow it how you want.

This is fantastic and even better than what I needed. Thanks!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Sockser posted:

This is fantastic and even better than what I needed. Thanks!

rate it up for me then ;)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"We at Colossal have had to prioritize our efforts to working on the patch, which will include tunnels, European buildings and various fixes that will be specified in the patch notes. It doesn't make sense to us to start listing the issues here beforehand as they haven't even been fully tested yet. I hope you can understand that.

We are still reading the forum actively and now that I am looking to hire more people to join the team we hopefully can again allocate more time to actually answering the posts. But please remember that I will always rather have the team actually working on the game and recently we have been very busy to bringing you guys the next patch as soon as possible. I can reveal that the tunnels are starting to shape up, but we are still working on the European assets. I think it's looking very nice already, but I'm a sucker for those old styled buildings anyway"

A slight communication bone thrown, I'd still so love to see a little developer diary or something. Just some hint at how the tunnels will work, some pictures of how info on how the hell they're adding wall to wall buildings to the game's existing zoning structure. But we'll see when they're done.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Roundboy posted:

You need to watch curves on subway lines as well. I watched metro trains get stuck negotiating a curve while a train was coming the other way.

Wait, there is subway collision and traffic? I thought I didn't have to worry about that. I've got a bunch of shared stations and crisscrossing lines!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Incidentally, I have a version of that little starter city I'm working on right now where I basically have not expanded at all, but have replaced all the Industry with Office and all the Lo-D Res with Hi-D res. City is at 40k on one map square, I want to see how high I can go without expanding. Goal for this city is 1 million Civs, maybe that will finally scratch the itch- at least until tunnels...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Efexeye posted:

Incidentally, I have a version of that little starter city I'm working on right now where I basically have not expanded at all, but have replaced all the Industry with Office and all the Lo-D Res with Hi-D res. City is at 40k on one map square, I want to see how high I can go without expanding. Goal for this city is 1 million Civs, maybe that will finally scratch the itch- at least until tunnels...

Is it on a default starter map? That's gonna be fun without highway or train in that one tile.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I think it's on Lagoon Shore? I do have highway access on the first tile, but no train access. No industry means no trucks so it cuts waaaaay down on traffic problems. To be clear, I don't think I can do 1 million on 1 tile, but I think I can do 100k, probably.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

With regards to future development of the game, my only fear is that CO will be too weary of changing game balance out of fear of people crying about their cities being broken as a result. I would love nothing more than to see crime be properly integrated into the gameplay, requiring you to build more police stations, requiring you to build courthouses to increase case capacity, and requiring jails and prisons for criminal capacity as well. That's on top of Offices actually being a proper part of the RCI instead of the weird easy bonus it is now. Also, I still really would like air pollution (and better looking ground pollution.

Actually, with ground pollution, I am not sure why we need the zerg creep at all. I feel like an infoview would serve the same purpose and give the exact same information. I do like the messed up tress though. That's a nice touch. Though I wish the autumn trees were are part of the game seasonally, instead as a result of pollution. The other dead looking trees are cool though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hope they do what they did with CiM2 and have a nice easy to use ruleset editor. Don't like the crime simulation? Here's a bunch of sliders and fields and check-boxes to play with it your self. Think low density level 5 residential needs 10% less housing capacity? Oh hey just type in a new number here. Traffic simulation? Pages of options!

Riller
Jun 16, 2008
I've finally found a great intersection for starter cities: Cirdec's Beginnersection. I ended up using one at the initial highway intersection, then extending the one-ways and plopping this a few more times further down, so that the streets branching off of it acted as frontage roads. It worked great for me up to 10k before I began adding other highway intersections and mass transit.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Why do people have trouble figuring out what to do with the initial highway connection? I don't mean that as a backhanded insult - it's obviously a real issue since it comes up so often, but I don't understand why and I'm curious about it.

For one thing, it seems like it's not that complicated. Connect the highway ends with a bit of road (or a roundabout if you're feeling fancy) and then run your network out from there however you like. But even more fundamentally, it's not that important. You'll almost certainly blow it up and redo it after a few hours so don't waste time strategizing about it, just build!

Is it a sort of choice paralysis since it's the first decision you're presented with? Does this question usually come from people who are completely new to the genre, feeling at sea, and this is just the focal point for that uncertainty?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I think it's because the way a lot of the maps are set up money is pretty sparse in the beginning and it's easy to under or over build and gently caress things up, resulting in the aforementioned "30 minutes of drawing out that loving highway connection again."

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"

Riller posted:

I've finally found a great intersection for starter cities: Cirdec's Beginnersection. I ended up using one at the initial highway intersection, then extending the one-ways and plopping this a few more times further down, so that the streets branching off of it acted as frontage roads. It worked great for me up to 10k before I began adding other highway intersections and mass transit.

I like it. Also looks like it has room for small playgrounds in each of the four quadrants. This is as important as efficiency. I've taken to adding playgrounds to all my complicated intersections and while the game doesn't explicitly have pedestrian deaths or have a pedestrian death statistic, once the playgrounds are there it is very easy for me to imagine all the hearses backing up traffic while bringing out tiny coffins, the sobbing mothers, subsequent spikes in divorce rates and associated legal fees being collected in nearby high-density commercial zones.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

I would love nothing more than to see crime be properly integrated into the gameplay, requiring you to build more police stations, requiring you to build courthouses to increase case capacity, and requiring jails and prisons for criminal capacity as well.

Would it be possible to mod that in? I might actually take a crack at that if it is.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

Efexeye posted:

I think it's because the way a lot of the maps are set up money is pretty sparse in the beginning and it's easy to under or over build and gently caress things up, resulting in the aforementioned "30 minutes of drawing out that loving highway connection again."

This. I like being able to just plop an asset down instead of trying to draw and redraw things, or to have to go back later when the city is making decent money and demolish the whole thing and rebuild it. I built plenty of beginning connections manually, and using this mod just works for me.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

xzzy posted:

I do smooth curves just because it looks nicer.

Aesthetics is all this game has. :v:

Has anyone heard of any mod effort going into new infrastructure types? Like a two lane highway you can draw in one pass, or wider subway tubes, or even just some ploppable forks that cleanly transition between road types without making a janky intersection.

Like something that starts out as a bi-directional four way, and then forks into a pair of two lane one way roads.

I couldn't find anything on the workshop but maybe I just missed it. It seems like the sort of thing modders would go nuts to make.

"Some Roads" I think it is called. It is as you dream of.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Sam. posted:

Would it be possible to mod that in? I might actually take a crack at that if it is.

I have no idea. Have there been any mods that basically add new simulation systems into the game? Because that is practically what you would need to do. You'd be changing how crime functions from the ground up (you'd also have to change how crime is generated.)

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Riller posted:

This. I like being able to just plop an asset down instead of trying to draw and redraw things, or to have to go back later when the city is making decent money and demolish the whole thing and rebuild it. I built plenty of beginning connections manually, and using this mod just works for me.

I get wanting a template to save time if you find yourself doing the same time repeatedly, but I have the impression that most people asking about this aren't just looking for convenience. Maybe that's my misunderstanding though.

Personally I haven't gotten into prefab interchanges yet. The easy ones - where everything is standard enough to use a prefab - are quick to bang out. The ones that take me a while are when I'm building something specialized to a particular area, which a prebuilt asset won't help with. But maybe I'll eventually get sick enough of the easy ones to build some assets for myself.

e: Speaking of road mods, are there any that let you control turning behavior on a per-lane basis? I know there's one called Lane Changer but all it does is let you disallow left/right turns. I want to fiddle with which lanes are turn only, optional turn, straight only, etc.

Supraluminal fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 7, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

xzzy posted:

Has anyone heard of any mod effort going into new infrastructure types? Like a two lane highway you can draw in one pass,

I know I saw a mod that lets you draw both sides of the highway at once but I'm at work and can't really track it down atm.

It exists though I swear.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

I have no idea. Have there been any mods that basically add new simulation systems into the game? Because that is practically what you would need to do. You'd be changing how crime functions from the ground up (you'd also have to change how crime is generated.)

Does anyone know how a mod can override one of the classes in Assembly-CSharp.dll (which has most of the game logic)? If I can do that, I could add new services (or do pretty much anything really).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You would just write a wrapper DLL named Assembly-CSharp.dll that forwards all calls to classes in the original (bit now renamed) Assembly-CSharp-Original.dll, but routes calls to blacklisted classes to Assembly-CSharp-Modded.dll..... probably

I would be interested in a UPS mod that adds parcel trucks that deliver items to residential units, sort of the opposite of a hearse, which picks up items (bodies) from residential units.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Hadlock posted:

You would just write a wrapper DLL named Assembly-CSharp.dll that forwards all calls to classes in the original (bit now renamed) Assembly-CSharp-Original.dll, but routes calls to blacklisted classes to Assembly-CSharp-Modded.dll..... probably

I would be interested in a UPS mod that adds parcel trucks that deliver items to residential units, sort of the opposite of a hearse, which picks up items (bodies) from residential units.

DO NOT MIX THESE THINGS UP.

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?

Supraluminal posted:

e: Speaking of road mods, are there any that let you control turning behavior on a per-lane basis? I know there's one called Lane Changer but all it does is let you disallow left/right turns. I want to fiddle with which lanes are turn only, optional turn, straight only, etc.

Traffic manager let's you set left/right/straight or any combination thereof for each lane.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I want mail service, too.

Besides that, why are there no mods for ambulances, fire trucks and cop cars?

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Vahakyla posted:

I want mail service, too.

Besides that, why are there no mods for ambulances, fire trucks and cop cars?

Why work on the hard stuff when you can bang out five variations of the same mod and 18 carbon copies of the default high school?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

ToastyPotato posted:

Wait, there is subway collision and traffic? I thought I didn't have to worry about that. I've got a bunch of shared stations and crisscrossing lines!

Yup.

There are some fun bugs with subways, too, like trains yielding to surface traffic if the station-to-tunnel connection is positioned just right.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Cakebaker posted:

Traffic manager let's you set left/right/straight or any combination thereof for each lane.

Hmm, might have to try it. Anyone know if it poses a risk of destroying saves? I know Traffic++ has (had?) kind of a bad reputation for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

Hadlock posted:

I asked around and found this, which replaces a function with another function. But it seems really hacky. I'm wondering if there's a way I can subclass something and get the game to use that subclass instead of the original.