Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There are a lot of really awful recruiters in the software world. The good ones are really good, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

This describes exactly 0% of any of the many recruiters I have worked with over the years. The only somewhat accurate statement in there is that submissions to online resume/application systems (Taleo! :argh:) are a worthless black hole for job opportunities.

I agree with the "butthurt generalizations" comment.

Also possible that this guy is positioning for his future announcement of a new start-up called "Recruiters that Don't Suck." Either way, a worthless article. Kind of par for the course as far as Linkedin 'bloggers' go though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Oh yeah, LinkedIn publishing is the worst. I don't think I've ever read anything on there that didn't make me feel dumber.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
To be fair, I haven't experienced most of that (or stuff at http://poo poo-recruiters-say.tumblr.com), but I know a few people in the Valley (one product, one software engineer) that have similar complaints.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Just like in all careers, there are good and bad recruiters, and it doesn't really take much skill to differentiate them.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Thanks for the helpful post. For summaries so far I can't think of anything other than "I am looking to adapt technology for everyday situations" which is somewhat concise but I've read quite a few really long-winded descriptions and just :words:

Lots of content but nothing of value.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Just like in all careers, there are good and bad recruiters, and it doesn't really take much skill to differentiate them.

Hahahah there are no good recruiters. I'd rank scum like used car salesmen or even true dirtbags like real estate agents higher than recruiters.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

Hahahah there are no good recruiters. I'd rank scum like used car salesmen or even true dirtbags like real estate agents higher than recruiters.

The really bad recruiters are the glorified telemarketers from India, who don't ever know poo poo about you or the job and called you because your resume, which they didn't read at all, had a keyword match.

The medium-bad recruiters are working for small-time outfits, have lovely jobs, and forget about you completely an hour after you talk to them.

The good recruiters are used car salesmen but at least you have a shot at an interview with them.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Eh, I might as well ask here too. Am I really hurting my chances if I don't post a photo of myself? I'm extremely ugly so either way it's not going to help me out :v:

Thanks.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Alder posted:

Eh, I might as well ask here too. Am I really hurting my chances if I don't post a photo of myself? I'm extremely ugly so either way it's not going to help me out :v:

Thanks.

A photo is shorthand for "I am a real person." No assessment of your physical appearance is as damaging as a default avatar, IMO.

VVVV I actually don't know. But it's a general feeling whenever I'm online that seeing a default avatar or non-face puts my guard up.

KnifeWrench fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 21, 2015

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

KnifeWrench posted:

A photo is shorthand for "I am a real person." No assessment of your physical appearance is as damaging as a default avatar, IMO.

Hmm--I see. Wait, there's actually a spam bot problem on Linkendin?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

KnifeWrench posted:

I kinda guessed this and took a fairly generic picture of myself with a cell phone with my degrees visible in the background. I'll get a proper picture ready when I get a chance with a real camera.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Hey guys, just wondering if there's anything I should touch up on in my profile.

Link.

Recruiters contact me all the time for job placements but I don't have the heart to tell them that they suck as people and "temp to hire" in lieu of a list of very specific activities that sound like "temp to fire" after the probationary hiring period is not palatable and makes me hate them even more.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
After reading this thread, I finally went and got serious about my profile (never really did anything with it before). Edited my headline, put in a short summary for Experience, added a cool photo from my overseas work as background, and went from 20 contacts to over 100.

I got one of those "people are looking at your profile" emails, and one guy that did is a former senior UK government official, with a knighthood (MBE) and just recently started his own company providing consulting for things in my field. We have one shared contact between us, and it's a guy "John Smith" I don't exactly recognize, but looking at his resume I can easily see that we've crossed paths somewhere, likely Afghanistan.

To email the MBE directly with InMail I need to be a paid account, right? Or if I get an Introduction via "Smith", then we can talk directly, yes?

If I really don't recall where I know Smith from, should I still ask him to Introduce us, or would that be weird and I should just pay the fee and send the MBE an InMail cold?

If I do message Smith, should I just gloss over the not remembering him thing and just say "Hey John, I saw this MBE you know was looking at my profile. I'd like to talk to him about whether his new company is looking for consultants, would you mind introducing us?"

I don't want to puss out by being over-polite and thinking "oh, he probably doesn't want me bugging him" and letting a chance slip, but I'd like to be assertive while not just being a "gimme a job" dick.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Just add him as a friend and message him the regular way loving paying for that InMail garbage.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

CarForumPoster posted:

Just add him as a friend and message him the regular way loving paying for that InMail garbage.

I put Colleague since we work in the same field, and included in the message "saw on your profile that your new company does XYZ, I'd be interested in hearing more about that."

EDIT: heard back from the MBE and consulting firm founder already, so replied to him the next day with a "I noted your background has a lot of X and your new startup does a lot of Y; I've been shifting from X to Y too, is this also a deliberate shift in your career?"

EDIT2: Huh, found a textbook situation already. I'm just about to apply to Company X for a position in Africa, and when I searched "X Africa recruiter" I found their main recruiter for that region, she's 3 links away from me, and I know multiple people who know someone in the middle. But rather than play the "can you introduce me?" game, y'all recommend I just Connect her as "colleague"? And I'm reading up various blog articles on how to ping recruiters without being "gimme a job".

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 27, 2015

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

EDIT2: Huh, found a textbook situation already. I'm just about to apply to Company X for a position in Africa, and when I searched "X Africa recruiter" I found their main recruiter for that region, she's 3 links away from me, and I know multiple people who know someone in the middle. But rather than play the "can you introduce me?" game, y'all recommend I just Connect her as "colleague"? And I'm reading up various blog articles on how to ping recruiters without being "gimme a job".

Yes, skip the noise and connect. "Colleague" may require you to list a position where you worked together and that may or may not be relevant--if not, just choose "Friend." A recruiter will not care.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

After reading this thread, I finally went and got serious about my profile (never really did anything with it before). Edited my headline, put in a short summary for Experience, added a cool photo from my overseas work as background, and went from 20 contacts to over 100.

I got one of those "people are looking at your profile" emails, and one guy that did is a former senior UK government official, with a knighthood (MBE) and just recently started his own company providing consulting for things in my field. We have one shared contact between us, and it's a guy "John Smith" I don't exactly recognize, but looking at his resume I can easily see that we've crossed paths somewhere, likely Afghanistan.

To email the MBE directly with InMail I need to be a paid account, right? Or if I get an Introduction via "Smith", then we can talk directly, yes?

If I really don't recall where I know Smith from, should I still ask him to Introduce us, or would that be weird and I should just pay the fee and send the MBE an InMail cold?

If I do message Smith, should I just gloss over the not remembering him thing and just say "Hey John, I saw this MBE you know was looking at my profile. I'd like to talk to him about whether his new company is looking for consultants, would you mind introducing us?"

I don't want to puss out by being over-polite and thinking "oh, he probably doesn't want me bugging him" and letting a chance slip, but I'd like to be assertive while not just being a "gimme a job" dick.

You can get linkedin premium for free if you're ex-mil. I don't remember how and it's kinda a pain in the rear end, but google it. It's worth it.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Okay I just have to ask here: which one of you is the bitcoin entrepreneur out in California?

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 31, 2015

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Goddamn everytime I log into Linkedin it just gets shittier and shittier. Today my wall is filled with people liking photos of bald cancer kids holding signs and paid clickbaity shallow news stories about "corporate culture". I loving hate bald cancer kids more than anything on earth. Christ, what happened to this site?

Deleting my account since it hasn't been useful or informative in a year or two. None of the higher level people I know seem to have bothered updating their title or company in a long time. Is there another service that looks more like linkedin circa 2009 or so that people have moved on to yet?

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 3, 2015

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I don't think there's another general service, but there are some industry-specific sites out there. What's your field?

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Pryor on Fire posted:

Goddamn everytime I log into Linkedin it just gets shittier and shittier. Today my wall is filled with people liking photos of bald cancer kids holding signs and paid clickbaity shallow news stories about "corporate culture". I loving hate bald cancer kids more than anything on earth. Christ, what happened to this site?

Deleting my account since it hasn't been useful or informative in a year or two. None of the higher level people I know seem to have bothered updating their title or company in a long time. Is there another service that looks more like linkedin circa 2009 or so that people have moved on to yet?

Not sure why you'd delete your account, rather than just not look at the news feed thing? I almost never log in just to look at that crap, I use it to look other people up, occasionally I browse the "people you may know", and otherwise it's just a page that others can use to look me up. Having an account that you never look at except to update when you get a new position seems like the best thing to do, as it's a way for potential recruiters/companies to find you.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

Looking at the news feed in Linkedin is kinda like reading the comments section of a news article. It's not why you're there, if you look at it you should know what you're getting yourself into (or you soon will), and you will end up regretting the decision.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
So I've been doing the LinkedIn thing for about 3 weeks now, adding recruiters and blah blah blah. Anyway, I got a strange message from a recruiter who wanted to know more about me. They ended up e-mailing me as well with about 20 different questions about previous jobs, what I look for in a job, etc. They used strange phrases like "professional frustration" and called me a "hidden recruit", and their grammar is just -off- with random double spaces, missing punctuation and letters, and the whole thing just seems weird. Not entirely suspicious though, as they did ask a few questions specifically about me on my profile such as relocation to certain areas and about my education.

I guess I have nothing to lose by e-mailing them back, I'm just not familiar with recruiters, especially when they give off a weird spammy vibe with the aforementioned grammar and spelling issues.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

desudrive posted:

So I've been doing the LinkedIn thing for about 3 weeks now, adding recruiters and blah blah blah. Anyway, I got a strange message from a recruiter who wanted to know more about me. They ended up e-mailing me as well with about 20 different questions about previous jobs, what I look for in a job, etc. They used strange phrases like "professional frustration" and called me a "hidden recruit", and their grammar is just -off- with random double spaces, missing punctuation and letters, and the whole thing just seems weird. Not entirely suspicious though, as they did ask a few questions specifically about me on my profile such as relocation to certain areas and about my education.

I guess I have nothing to lose by e-mailing them back, I'm just not familiar with recruiters, especially when they give off a weird spammy vibe with the aforementioned grammar and spelling issues.

My best experiences with recruiters are the large, established ones that operate locally. To reiterate what I've said before, the ones where they're hiring Indians to call people with keyword matches are a waste of time.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
They are in an area I wish to relocate to so there's that. I guess they just suck at e-mails, or rather they cut and paste so much of a template they use and don't realize the mistakes that aren't just spelling. I'll give it a shot, they do seem interested in me even if they are vague about the job.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

invision posted:

You can get linkedin premium for free if you're ex-mil. I don't remember how and it's kinda a pain in the rear end, but google it. It's worth it.

Found it, but it's only for folks in their first year of civilian life:

quote:

Grab an Upgrade

LinkedIn offers veterans a free, one-year Job Seeker premium account, which includes perks such as a complete list of who has viewed your profile. If your profile includes your veteran status, a pop-up window offering the free upgrade should appear when you sign into your LinkedIn account.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ObsidianBeast posted:

Not sure why you'd delete your account, rather than just not look at the news feed thing? I almost never log in just to look at that crap, I use it to look other people up, occasionally I browse the "people you may know", and otherwise it's just a page that others can use to look me up. Having an account that you never look at except to update when you get a new position seems like the best thing to do, as it's a way for potential recruiters/companies to find you.

I like to get the emails how Person A from top company looked at my anemic profile. Then it started making me anxious so I un-subbed. Eh, I rarely search unless you count Google people I hated back in HS for totally innocent reasons.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I applied for a job I haven't heard back from, but one of the recruiters sent me a LinkedIn request. What is the appropriate action I should take? Is rather my current employer not see I added her but I don't want to be rude to a potential recruiter

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Add them.

I'd be concerned for more serious reasons if your current employer was monitoring your Linkedin activity that closely.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
A beautiful thing happened recently in the TPS Reports thread that I feel that this thread would also appreciate. Just follow the quote train.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

HiroProtagonist posted:

A beautiful thing happened recently in the TPS Reports thread that I feel that this thread would also appreciate. Just follow the quote train.

:allears: That was wonderful.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
So I think I'm doing this right and in the groups I joined, I'm basically going through and looking at who posted jobs and trying to connect with them.

When connecting with these people though should I just choose friend as the reason to connect since I don't have their email address or any other information?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Alfalfa posted:

So I think I'm doing this right and in the groups I joined, I'm basically going through and looking at who posted jobs and trying to connect with them.

When connecting with these people though should I just choose friend as the reason to connect since I don't have their email address or any other information?

I'm still trying to confirm whether shared group membership is still a valid reason to connect. It used to be for a long time, but it's becoming more often that I see questions like this that suggest it no longer is.

In any case though, if you can't select that as an option, go ahead and say "friend." Like I said in the OP, the people you'll want to prioritize connecting with by and large would not care what the reason was in the slightest.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

HiroProtagonist posted:

I'm still trying to confirm whether shared group membership is still a valid reason to connect. It used to be for a long time, but it's becoming more often that I see questions like this that suggest it no longer is.

In any case though, if you can't select that as an option, go ahead and say "friend." Like I said in the OP, the people you'll want to prioritize connecting with by and large would not care what the reason was in the slightest.

That's what I figured. Any reason is better than no reason and the more people they are connected to the better.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
LinkedIn Success Story:

Got drunk, randomly applied from linkedin to a Tier 2 job in my industry, but that I have 0 experience at all in, and definitely am not qualified for, nor do I deserve the pay.

Forget about it for a month.

Decide that since my current contract is coming to an end, I should start linkedining again.

Posted in thread.

Hunted down a "military" recruiter for a company I want to work for, even though he's in a totally different part of the US, found cell phone number, called him and explained who I am and what I do and why I was contacting him.

Sent him my resume.

1 day later he calls back and says "hey, it looks like you applied for Tier 2 Job a while back, have you heard anything on that? No? Alright, well, I just talked to my colleagues and I put your resume in front of them and personally recommended you."

3 phone interviews and 1 in-person interview later, I beat out a guy with 15 years experience and an internal employee. The guys that interviewed me told me straight up "We honestly wouldn't have looked at your resume if _____ didn't recommend you."

Got hired for a Tier 2 position, making a fuckload more money, with awesome benefits. All because I reached out to a dude on the other side of the country via linkedin.

It works if you put some effort into it. It basically gives you a direct line to people that are going to influence who sees you as a candidate, and that's extremely loving powerful.

tl;dr use linkedin goddamnit.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Got a connection request from someone I didn't recognize on LinkedIn the other day, and in a spell of lack of judgment added the individual, who's listed as a 'Data Relationship Manager/Global Business Coach & Mentor'. Got this message from this person yesterday:

quote:

Hello Redcheval,

I hope you're well.

Thank you for connecting with me on LinkedIn. You have a great profile!

Please excuse my direct and speculative approach but I wonder if you'd be interested in finding out more about my business and what I do.

I think your profile and skills would be well-suited.

Are you available for a chat to find out more. If so, please confirm your phone number and let me know when is best to call.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

My skillset and job history have zero to do with anything data related. I can only assume this is supposed to hook people into some kind of business coaching relationship... This message is obviously really cookie-cutter and spammy, but I'm curious what the purpose is or what this person is looking for? What is this supposed to be?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Is it generally a good idea to reach out (via LinkedIn) to HR reps/recruiters of a company that you applied for via their website and try to follow up, or would this just be the modern equivalent of being the guy who calls the hiring manager every day after an interview to ask the status?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

redcheval posted:

Got a connection request from someone I didn't recognize on LinkedIn the other day, and in a spell of lack of judgment added the individual, who's listed as a 'Data Relationship Manager/Global Business Coach & Mentor'. Got this message from this person yesterday:

My skillset and job history have zero to do with anything data related. I can only assume this is supposed to hook people into some kind of business coaching relationship... This message is obviously really cookie-cutter and spammy, but I'm curious what the purpose is or what this person is looking for? What is this supposed to be?

He wants you to pay him to teach you how to STUFF. Don't bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Gin_Rummy posted:

Is it generally a good idea to reach out (via LinkedIn) to HR reps/recruiters of a company that you applied for via their website and try to follow up, or would this just be the modern equivalent of being the guy who calls the hiring manager every day after an interview to ask the status?

I did this with a few companies at a job I don't have experience in. One accepted and flat out told me they're looking for people with at least a year in the field (clinical trial monitoring). I have clinical research experience, but no official trial monitoring.

Another recruiter from another company told me that someone else handles entry level candidates, but that they passed on my info. I connected with this new person, telling them I had applied. I have a phone interview tomorrow after passing all the email prescreening. So, it does work, you just have to find a motivated person.

• Locked thread