Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Pidmon posted:

A man quits twitter because it distracts him from his job about writing.

People remember that the word 'feminism' exists and blame 'the sjws' for it.

Some moron made a picture with red text on it compiling a large number of twitter pictures that weren't even pointed at Whedon with an at symbol basically giving really entry level criticisms of the movie so you KNOW that a person who's been doing creative works for decades can't take the slightest bit of negativity.

Some of the tweets were literally "I dislike you" and "eat my entire rear end" and that was enough to make his take his ball and go home? I've seen a lot worse abuse on twitter. A lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

nexus6 posted:

Some of the tweets were literally "I dislike you" and "eat my entire rear end" and that was enough to make his take his ball and go home? I've seen a lot worse abuse on twitter. A lot.

On the other hand, being on Twitter is useless and quitting it is a good thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

You ask, and I deliver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCNNYx_OtPw skip to 1:00 in for the good part.

He was 20, even older than I remembered.

"We've got a pre-existing juvenile foundational relationship, statue 270-573"
So loving creepy. What the gently caress, Transformers? What the gently caress? :stonk:

Yes, he carries that section of the law around in his pocket, laminated. Why would you do that in a movie? Unless it was about creepers. But this is Transformers. :(

What a stupid movie.

Looking at the production dates, the actress who plays Marky Mark's daughter was 18 when they were filming too so they had her playing younger to be able to put that in.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It is one of the few times where Mark Wahlberg's 'Overprotective Dad' character actually has legitimate cause for concern. And when Marky Mark's 'Overprotective Dad' character has legit cause for concern, you know you've made a terrible mistake.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Krinkle posted:

Since you're all talking about super hero movies anyway can any of you explain what the kerfuffle over josh sweden quitting twitter was about? Every time I read the news blogs it just says "some fans were mad! About black widow probably! And also quicksilver, that thing about him, the fans were none too pleased. ergo death threats."

I don't remember black widow from the 1990 arcade game at the chuck e cheese's so forgive me if she actually is an avenger that anyone's heard of before, but it seems like either people could be mad she was included at all, or that her part was too small. I can't tell from context.

e: poo poo are you already talking about it? Tony stark said a thing? That's it?
e2: Okay black widow is a childless monster, got it.

Joss Whedon himself came out and said he was just sick of all the noise on twitter, its not because of 'militant feminsits' or anything. He considers himself a feminist. (He did have some choice words to say about how members of a certain movement tend to attack each other in some kind of no-true-scotsman fashion and how lame that is)

JT Smiley posted:

How does poo poo like that make it into a movie about selling toys to kids? Why not just make them the same age? Are we supposed to side with the creepy guy who's loving a high schooler?

My thoughts exactly.

Aphrodite posted:

Looking at the production dates, the actress who plays Marky Mark's daughter was 18 when they were filming too so they had her playing younger to be able to put that in.

Seriously WHAT THE gently caress :stonk:

Yeah I guess the idea was it gave Marky Mark reason to act like a protective father, but... if he really was acting like a protective father he probably should have gone for his shotgun and told the 20 year old dude to loving beat it, at least until she's 18.

Seriously Michael Bay what agenda are you pushing here :v: Its just a kids' toy movie.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

People are more pissed at a joke that Tony Stark made. Basically there's a scene where the whole team is chilling out and messing around with trying to lift Thor's hammer which, if they do it, would make them rightful ruler of Asgard. Tony attempts it and says if he does it "I will be reinstituting Prima Nocta". That's an incredibly old custom from the middle ages or so when a king could essentially have sex with any woman who was about to get married. People flipped out because they saw it as a rape joke.

Not that it makes it any less creepy, but this 'custom' was never actually a custom, and there is no evidence of it ever happening.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Medieval Medic posted:

Not that it makes it any less creepy, but this 'custom' was never actually a custom, and there is no evidence of it ever happening.

the movie Braveheart?!?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Medieval Medic posted:

Really? That's good to know. Are you sure?

I guess everybody just takes it from Braveheart and assumes its real? :v:

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zaphod42 posted:

Really? That's good to know. Are you sure?

Also Discworld where it's known as droit de seigneur

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

It was popularized by the anti-monarchial propaganda of the French Revolution.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Also he's Tony Stark and almost certainly was just saying it to be a poo poo disturber. loving Jesus internet it's called sarcasm.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

OldTennisCourt posted:

Tony attempts it and says if he does it "I will be reinstituting Prima Nocta". That's an incredibly old custom from the middle ages or so when a king could essentially have sex with any woman who was about to get married.

No it's not, it's a myth, albeit an old one.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
I think theres cases of that being slung around going back a lot further then medieval times too. Its basically a "oh those guys? THEY DO poo poo LIKE *insert horrible thing here*. WHAT A BUNCH OF BARBARIANS!" and etc.. Literally a way to shittalk the guys the next kingdom over.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Nutsngum posted:

I think theres cases of that being slung around going back a lot further then medieval times too. Its basically a "oh those guys? THEY DO poo poo LIKE *insert horrible thing here*. WHAT A BUNCH OF BARBARIANS!" and etc.. Literally a way to shittalk the guys the next kingdom over.

Even in case where its most likely true (Caligula's reign) we can not be sure since all the writings were written after he died and were highly biased against him.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

JT Smiley posted:

How does poo poo like that make it into a movie about selling toys to kids? Why not just make them the same age? Are we supposed to side with the creepy guy who's loving a high schooler?

Transformers is only partly about selling toys to kids.

It's also about selling toys to nostalgic neckbeards with too much disposable income. And let's face it, those people love the idea of legally being able to bang an underage girl.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

bobkatt013 posted:

Even in case where its most likely true (Caligula's reign) we can not be sure since all the writings were written after he died and were highly biased against him.

I find this poo poo super fascinating and I'd love a thread that would deal with things like this (historical myths and smear jobs that slowly became some sort of historical 'fact').

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

I find this poo poo super fascinating and I'd love a thread that would deal with things like this (historical myths and smear jobs that slowly became some sort of historical 'fact').

Read the 12 Caesars. Its all just talking poo poo about the emperor since the writer was a huge supporter of the Senate.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

paragon1 posted:

The guys working in silos,submarines, and airbases aren't robots though! They're going to know something is up when the order to start the end of the world comes out of nowhere.

You get the codes, you launch. That's what's trained, that's what National Command Authority means. You're on a missile sub, you don't get CNN, the entire reason you're out there is to hide and be ready to launch when you receive a properly validated launch order. That's what the codes are for. They're not going to sit around and ask questions. Maybe we're launching a pre-emptive strike. Maybe the other side has launched a pre-emptive strike. SIOP (old) and OPPLAN (new) do not assume that there's going to be some sabre-rattling buildup prior to the launch, some steadily deteriorating relations that culminate in a launch order; the order to start the end of the world *can* come out of nowhere. The whole point of the authentication codes is not to receive them and start asking questions; they are an assurance that, when you receive them, *those questions have already been asked by the lawful command authority* and the decision has been made. Your job is to execute that decision, not sit around second-guessing it.

I mean, haven't you seen WarGames?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReJ3RltihME

Also, recommended reading:

http://www.amazon.com/Command-Control-Damascus-Accident-Illusion/dp/0143125788

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah if anything the launch crews might think "Oh the aliens are back, time to gently caress em up" or "The Hulk finally lost it", they'd probably have no idea about the whole Ultron ordeal.

Along with the whole "Launching these is your job, the decision has been made by the people in charge, press the big red button." thing.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
What was the post credits thing in the new avengers?

Anyone else finding the preshow is getting more and more annoying? Before avengers I saw an avengers toy ad, interviews with people about their favorite avengers, avengers trivia etc. The whole thing is intercut with clips of the movie. I'm not obsessed with spoilers or anything but how bout not showing me 10 random minutes of the movie I'm about to watch.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dr_Amazing posted:

What was the post credits thing in the new avengers?

Anyone else finding the preshow is getting more and more annoying? Before avengers I saw an avengers toy ad, interviews with people about their favorite avengers, avengers trivia etc. The whole thing is intercut with clips of the movie. I'm not obsessed with spoilers or anything but how bout not showing me 10 random minutes of the movie I'm about to watch.

It was Thanos taking the Infinity Gauntlet out of some kind of storage thing and saying he's going to handle this himself now.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Buzkashi posted:

Iron Man isn't an Avenger anymore"

I feel like I missed that entirely. I'm assuming you're talking about the conversation right before Tony left the new Avengers facility? Can you elaborate at all?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nutsngum posted:

Like how the Italians call STDs "the French Disease" but the french call it "the English Disease" or whatever.

kazil posted:

Transformers is only partly about selling toys to kids.

It's also about selling toys to nostalgic neckbeards with too much disposable income. And let's face it, those people love the idea of legally being able to bang an underage girl.

You don't really think that was Michael Bay's reasoning though, right? Just kidding?

In all sincerity I don't understand why that line exists. I guess some writer just tossed it in there so Marky Mark could play defensive dad but ugggggh its so dumb.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

nexus6 posted:

Sometimes it's not the concentration but the frequency. I imagine when you've written/directed two of the world's biggest blockbuster movies there's a much greater noise level.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Zaphod42 posted:

You don't really think that was Michael Bay's reasoning though, right? Just kidding?

No I don't think Bay consciously thought of that.

I think he's just like one of those people and did it more for himself.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Phanatic posted:

You get the codes, you launch. That's what's trained, that's what National Command Authority means. You're on a missile sub, you don't get CNN, the entire reason you're out there is to hide and be ready to launch when you receive a properly validated launch order. That's what the codes are for. They're not going to sit around and ask questions. Maybe we're launching a pre-emptive strike. Maybe the other side has launched a pre-emptive strike. SIOP (old) and OPPLAN (new) do not assume that there's going to be some sabre-rattling buildup prior to the launch, some steadily deteriorating relations that culminate in a launch order; the order to start the end of the world *can* come out of nowhere. The whole point of the authentication codes is not to receive them and start asking questions; they are an assurance that, when you receive them, *those questions have already been asked by the lawful command authority* and the decision has been made. Your job is to execute that decision, not sit around second-guessing it.

Well that just raises the question of why they would keep information like that on a computer system someone could infiltrate from the Internet in the first place.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

paragon1 posted:

Well that just raises the question of why they would keep information like that on a computer system someone could infiltrate from the Internet in the first place.
Relax, there's a rogue pseudo-AI/really advanced UI living in the Internet Nexus in Oslo keeping it safe.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I feel like I missed that entirely. I'm assuming you're talking about the conversation right before Tony left the new Avengers facility? Can you elaborate at all?

It may have just been my assumption that everyone hanging out at the facility at the end was basically taking up the helm of The Avengers with the departing members returning to solo work, at least for the time being. I could have completely misinterpreted it though.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Buzkashi posted:

It may have just been my assumption that everyone hanging out at the facility at the end was basically taking up the helm of The Avengers with the departing members returning to solo work, at least for the time being. I could have completely misinterpreted it though.

Ah, I kinda took that as they're just bringing in some new recruits to help pad the team for the next time we need to bring this poo poo together. The crafty veterans can go do their own thing until we make the call. Except for Steve and Nat. They obviously don't have poo poo to do. I didn't see Falcon and the Witch as replacements so much as additions.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Avengers: Well someone has to fill in while the main crew fucks off to do another round of solo movies :v:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Arrath posted:

Avengers: Well someone has to fill in while the main crew fucks off to do another round of solo movies :v:

This is funny because every single person in that last scene is already in the next movie.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Aside from the HBO show Rome and Caligula have there ever really been any modern media depictions of Rome that illustrate how butt-loving insane (literally) Rome actually was?
That stuff always seems like bullshit to me anyway, like historians seem to continually be going "Yeaaaaaaah it was a suuuuper long time ago and it's totally possible all that stuff about that crazy Roman Emperor who hosed a goat and renamed Rome to 'my balls' actually happened...but it could also just be douchey propaganda from the people writing the historical account who disagreed with him politically or something".
I'd like a Julian the Apostate movie though. :)

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Shakespeare's Richard III would be high on the list.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OldTennisCourt posted:

The Classical history thread in A\T is amazing and you can ask any question about pre Charle Magne history there and get a super detailed and good response.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

mind the walrus posted:

Sometimes it's not the concentration but the frequency. I imagine when you've written/directed two of the world's biggest blockbuster movies there's a much greater noise level.

yeah critcs only started to exist when twitter started, roger who? two thumbs down for this post.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pidmon posted:

yeah critcs only started to exist when twitter started, roger who? two thumbs down for this post.

Pretty sure the gross twitter garbage babies weren't writing long-form critique of his directing efforts. More likely the Good Kind of death threats and personal insults.

But its a guy who makes movies about comic books, so who cares I guess?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Danger Mahoney posted:

Pretty sure the gross twitter garbage babies weren't writing long-form critique of his directing efforts. More likely the Good Kind of death threats and personal insults.

But its a guy who makes movies about comic books, so who cares I guess?

A director like David Cronenberg would never do this!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

The buttsex scene wasn't in the source material.

Also it's a joke. The movie has a recurring theme of "this isn't a Bond movie", even though it has every single trapping of one. The Moore Bond movies all end with Bond shagging the Good Bond Girl in an implausible scenario while Q or M try to get in touch with him, so when Eggsy saves the world the movie follows the trope.

It was a bad joke. In the 007 films Bond spends every second he gets flirting with women he meets. Eggsy didn't. The only two girls that I remember him coming in contact with are the two that enter in the Kingsman program and one is immediately gone. The other is completely worthless to the plot like I stated earlier and she never even enters in as a love interest. She might as well have been Eggsy's sister. The buttsex joke was completely out of left field and seemed like a throwaway "huhh buttsex look naked butt".

It's definitely not a movie to be taken seriously and I wasn't offended by the joke, it just seemed really out of place is all. jk MY IMMERSION

KoB
May 1, 2009
I did find it funny that Joss Whedon claims to be a feminist and then has the only female Avenger kidnapped and gets saved by her big strong boyfriend. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

KoB posted:

I did find it funny that Joss Whedon claims to be a feminist and then has the only female Avenger kidnapped and gets saved by her big strong boyfriend. :v:

That's kind of his MO, though. He claims to be a feminist and to write strong female characters, and then all of those female characters are horribly tortured or abused in various ways.