Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze doesn't wear long sleeves because that would require drawing the character differently.

This awful character somehow manages to give fat, bald, badly-dressed nerds a bad name. I hate him and I hate everyone in this comic who treats him with any humanity whatsoever. Kill all Working Daze. Thank you.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The people in the GoComics comments are all hoping this does get OMD-ed because they want Rip to be with Cobra and hate Breezy.

But Breezy is cool? I mean I don't pay that much attention to "Rip Haywire" anymore but she's always seemed extremely tolerable, unlike a lot of the supporting cast.

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

Dustin the lazy slacker who won't get a job :argh:

Nice, Dustin's back from yet another one of my lovely, demeaning temp assignments, time to deadpan glare at this indolent fucker unwilling to destroy his body and wardrobe for a pittance sans benefits while I sit fat and happy behind a goddamn desk all day. Shaking my drat head at all of 18-35 year old humanity over here in my fancy color-changing future chair,.

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Guys we missed this ebay sale of an original Calvin and Hobbles strip.

http://www.avclub.com/article/mysterious-calvin-and-hobbles-artwork-sold-very-ch-219034

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean is heartless today, is all about breaking.

In case you're like me and have been wondering what a Band-Box is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxtWqo6u33k

They sell for thousands of dollars; there's one on Ebay right now asking $12,500.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

But Breezy is cool? I mean I don't pay that much attention to "Rip Haywire" anymore but she's always seemed extremely tolerable, unlike a lot of the supporting cast.

Cobra is the pirate queen (among other things), and some people just dig wicked women. :ms:

Doesn't make it any easier to deal with.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

In case you're like me and have been wondering what a Band-Box is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxtWqo6u33k

They sell for thousands of dollars; there's one on Ebay right now asking $12,500.

For those who came in late, Montoni's is based on a real pizza place in Akron, and the real place has a band box over the door.

Pogo (May 6-7, 1957)

Peanuts: Year Two (July 20, 1952)

Super-Fun-Pak Comix

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

If it ends up removing Breezy then I hope it's a lot more literal and the whole comic is cancelled going into reruns as soon as he does it, creating a temporal story loop.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

That's what you get, you flaky bitch! If you knew how to chart coordinates on GPS instead of trying to enjoy yourself in the outdoors, you would have avoided this fate! Next time do what the man with the patchy beard tells you to do.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Shame about the top of his head.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man
Peter, it's 2015. Literally everyone has a mobile phone. Just call her.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Julet Esqu posted:

Shame about the top of his head.
I can't get over it!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Grimm meets Nemi.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Bobulus posted:

I got curious and looked these tumblr blogs (they actually exist) after yesterday's comic. Most of the tips are about store policies that can be used against them. (For example, I have no idea of the veracity of this, but allegedly some stores have a policy that if the sales associate didn't see you come in not-wearing an article of clothing, they can't later claim you stole it when you're walking out of the store with it. Assuming, of course, that you dispose of all the tag-related evidence properly.)

You also get some hilarious posts like 'I only stole $50 worth of items and got caught, and now they're making me pay a $250 fine. This is bullshit!'

I can tell you that when it comes to Walmart, everyone except Loss Prevention or salaried management is dickless when it comes to being allowed to do anything about shoplifters.

I managed the electronics department there so I had to deal a lot with theft. I had fun outsmarting the shoplifters but I never really understood the associates that got all upset and emotional about thieves. I think it was some kind of weird Stockholm Syndrome people get from working there.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 7, 2015

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, she's ending up in that pond in the next strip.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

EasyEW posted:

For those who came in late, Montoni's is based on a real pizza place in Akron, and the real place has a band box over the door.

I'm pretty sure the pizza shop was in Kent, Ohio (well, technically an Akron suburb) probably because Batiuk is a Kent State University alumnus. But, I think it was a John Montoni (erroneously referred to as a "Mr. Hale" for some unknown reason which is probably bad copy editing), not Tony who ran the place IRL. He died in 2001, and here's his obit:

http://www.recordpub.com/obituaries/2001/02/09/john-j-montoni

Jane's World

Tucker, dude, you're gonna get fired.

Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Kliban's Cats

I :lol:ed at the spur on the tail.

9 Chickweed Lane 5/7/2004

Welp, time to go de-consecrate, or whatever you guys do.

Zits

Kevin & Kell

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

NWS that third panel for Christ's sake!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac crushes petey's hopes and/or dreams

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set misunderstands what you said.

Working Daze just looks painful.

e: Why do they have a featureless cube in the middle of their featureless office?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze just looks painful.

e: Why do they have a featureless cube in the middle of their featureless office?

Sacrificial Altar.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

As much as I dislike Luann, this plot twist has me unusually excited. Fire ants would also make FOOB better.

:colbert:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

He cribbed this from the Croods movie.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Intelligent Life

Retail

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

That's what you get, you flaky bitch! If you knew how to chart coordinates on GPS instead of trying to enjoy yourself in the outdoors, you would have avoided this fate! Next time do what the man with the patchy beard tells you to do.
Also who in the gently caress dresses like that to go out into the woods?

It's amazing how the Evanses write college as "high school, only you live there". Is going out into the woods and catching lizards a thing you do in college level Biology 101?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Buckle up, we're all in for a Rough Ride Comix!

Pooch Café

Show the antagonist punch a hole in a car in order to murder the main character, but for God's sake don't use the word 'pee'

Ballard Street

drat, Roy, those jeans are riding up like there's a shootout at sundown your rear end is a box canyon.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Holy poo poo foob isn't an edit. The joke really is "I hate my goddamn kids". :stare:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Shugojin posted:

Holy poo poo foob isn't an edit. The joke really is "I hate my goddamn kids". :stare:

Yeah... There's telling your kid to be quiet or to find something else to do so the grownups can talk, and then there's literally telling your child to get lost. The difference is an important one.

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Shugojin posted:

This is your annual reminder that Lynn actually threw one of her kids out of the house into the snow because he wouldn't stop crying.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

RandomFerret posted:

Ballard Street

drat, Roy, those jeans are riding up like there's a shootout at sundown your rear end is a box canyon.

Thanks, colorist. Those are suppose to be chaps over his jeans, but even then yeah, they're really tight. But then I doubt it's easy to find properly fitting clothes when you're shaped like a Ballard Street man.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (March 8, 1928)

Peanuts (May 9, 1968, and yes, I've been screwing up the dates a lot lately, but this time it's....riiiiight?)

Funky Winkerbean

If you've been looking for a Popeye strip to drop on someone out of context to trick them into reading the strip, today's your lucky day.

It's definitely not your lucky day with Rip Haywire, who's getting ready to do the exact thing that terrified us yesterday. :smith:

Out Our Way (February 16-17, 1927)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (February 16-17, 1927)

Anyone got a guess for the meaning of 'work the skull'?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sculling

Basically, 'Work the skull, Gladys' means 'Step on it, Grandma' today.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Evil Mastermind posted:

This is your annual reminder that Lynn actually threw one of her kids out of the house into the snow because he wouldn't stop crying.

I remember that. The hatred being so totally transparent in the strip threw me, though. Jeez.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Shugojin posted:

I didn't realize it until this thread, but that is always the joke in foob.

Well, she also hates her husband. Basically she hates her family. And her life in general.

Elly is a miserable person and knowing what we know about the author it's really weird reading that comic strip. It has a much different feel to it than when I was a kid. In a way that's why I find it so fascinating.

EasyEW posted:

Skippy (March 8, 1928)

I also find old strips like this one interesting because of how a few years later FDR was elected to his first of 4 terms as president. Or when Emmy Lou talks about how hot she is for Rock Hudson.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Ah yes. Remember the compelling "formaldehyde smell" storyline? Man I couldn't wait to see what would happen with that one! Will they get rid of the smell? Who will pay for the cleaning? Wow! It sure was something!

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 7, 2015

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou is gone again.

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"I won't be pressured into a relationship with you even though I've been pressured into it by Mary."

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ran into this Fingerpori somewhere on the web and had to translate it quickly.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

drat kids these days not being as smart as one of the most famous philosophers of all time! :argh:

There's still time to reverse this, right? They don't necessarily have to go through with it, right? RIGHT?!

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Descarte's, "I think, therefore I am," has been outdated for 300 years at least. A Good Cartoon? Where the gently caress am I?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

RandomFerret posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sculling

Basically, 'Work the skull, Gladys' means 'Step on it, Grandma' today.
Thanks, that makes a lot more sense than what I was imagining.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

"I have watched a lot of honeymoon night videos online though."

9 Chickweed Lane

Nothing to see today except for Amos getting double teamed.

Pibgorn

Who would so cruelly force a thesaurus into a life of abuse in Brooke's hands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Dear Bud Grace,

Shut the gently caress up about mother in-laws.

gently caress you.
Green Intern

• Locked thread