Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Doctor Borris posted:

The Bad thread is currently entirely too positive. I felt my cynical post has only resulted in Moolah throwing down some truely rad art moves.

Jesus christ its like middle school in here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I really don't get the love for Marine art. It all seems to be a bunch of shapeless dudes in really ugly, stupid looking armor standing on a hill and firing off frame randomly.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Night10194 posted:

I really don't get the love for Marine art. It all seems to be a bunch of shapeless dudes in really ugly, stupid looking armor standing on a hill and firing off frame randomly.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Omar al-Bishie posted:

Deff Skwadron is crazy expensive now too. like, hundreds of dollars on amazon.

Amazon doesn't count though. However it is a good fun comic. Also Moola come hang out with us in #tinypewtermen .

I've been accused of running out all the 40k people by telling newbies not to play 40k current so you will fit in and I will even give you half ops n poo poo.

My fave GW book is probably the Index Astartes I got for like 5 bucks in 05 or so that's got the World Eaters background in it before they decided to Peter Jackson up the Heresy. Sadly the other 3 volumes tend to go for too much now. As is I basically lucked out on how little I paid for my Rogue Trader collection of books.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Night10194 posted:

That's all 40K combat art. It's kind of hard to show off armor and shooting action AND the perfidious xeno enemy if any sort of realistic range is involved. That's why all action happens at Napoleonic ranges... and why most Space Marine art is about a surrounded last stand of sorts. Random firing doesn't matter when enemy is everywhere!

On a highly groggier note, I'm kind of pissed how most battles in 40K is Imperium defending their planets instead of being expansionist - even by the virtue of all terrain being ruined Imperium buildings. Then again, there aren't that many Eldar or Tau worlds to invade, and even then they probably don't have stupid defensive instalations named by 16yo metalheads. Daemon worlds are not worth invading. They have Necron terrain - horribly expensive Necron terrain - but really, how often does Imperium invade previously lifeless worlds? They COULD sell ork buildings, but seeing how orks are the red headed stepchildren of release schedules, despite being mentioned EVERYWHERE... And you can't really sell L'Huraxi buildings and what not... :smith:

By the way, the 40K chess game is on early access and the reviews are "overwhelmingly positive". What the hell?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One reason the Macharian Crusade is cool is because it's the Imperium actually changing up the momentum of things and going off to explore new and fascinating horrors, and shoot them in the face.

Also, I make an exception for the Black Templars because I dig the whole techno-feudal look. The tabards and things add a lot to how their armor makes an impact.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 7, 2015

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The Imperial Armor books focusing on Tau and Orks have the Imperium going on the offensive and their stories are pretty cool.

Imperial offensives get mentioned pretty regularly in the fluff, but they're rarely described in the same detail as defensive actions.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Night10194 posted:

One reason the Macharian Crusade is cool is because it's the Imperium actually changing up the momentum of things and going off to explore new and fascinating horrors, and shoot them in the face.

Also, I make an exception for the Black Templars because I dig the whole techno-feudal look. The tabards and things add a lot to how their armor makes an impact.

Your custom title owns fyi

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

PeterWeller posted:

The Imperial Armor books focusing on Tau and Orks have the Imperium going on the offensive and their stories are pretty cool.

Imperial offensives get mentioned pretty regularly in the fluff, but they're rarely described in the same detail as defensive actions.

How often do Imperial Armor books turn out well for the Imperium?

Night10194 posted:

Marines are all about the techno-feudal look (hell, didn't Imperium evolve from united technobarbarians?), but Dark Angels are overdoing it a little.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

JcDent posted:

Never really. When they win, it is a hollow victory. Like in the Eldar one, they drive the Eldar forces away from their planet, but the whole invasion was really just a cover to recover a lost phoenix lord, and the Eldar succeed at that.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

JcDent posted:

Marines are all about the techno-feudal look (hell, didn't Imperium evolve from united technobarbarians?), but Dark Angels are overdoing it a little.

Pre-Imperial Holy Terra had a bit of a Mad Max phase, it's why one of the Emperor's titles is "Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rolla."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

JcDent posted:

The only thing they're overdoing in the 40k setting is the amount of taking it seriously. Well, that and D weapons. And prices. Actually, never mind.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
i have the combined primer and munitorum manual. is that worth anything? can't find it on ebay

edit: whoops, forgot to read an entire page

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 7, 2015

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

GW is going to di e because the Guard range doesn't have a mini of this lady:

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

That lady is cool

I've been reading the infinity core book and its good but gently caress me the rulebook seems insanely complicated

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
You're probably better off starting with the 'Quick Start' rules and playing a couple of into games with just those before getting into the full book; run through Icestorms 6 scenarios (which I don't think you get get separately, sadly) and you'll have the basics down pat in an afternoon.

They also look to be a lot clearer in the online version, rather than the quickstart section of the book !

Renfield fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 7, 2015

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
There are a lot of special rules. Start by learning only the common skills and the rules for the models in your starter box.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

That BFG game finally got a teaser trailer. If they stick to their guns about some of the stuff like having to manage your captains ego's it could be pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysu6hAT50z8

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
In the grim darkness of the far future there is only orange and cyan. But mostly orange.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Esser-Z posted:

GW is going to di e because the Guard range doesn't have a mini of this lady:

That's cool where is it from?

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
So there is a new BFG, done by the studio that made...
Styxx
Etherium
Cities XXL
Mordheim
Farming Simulator 15
Act of Aggression
Blood Bowl
None of these rate high on metacritic, will be worth a watch to see how they do.

They also released this weirdly sad and intense 40k trailer for Space Hulk Deathwing, worth a watch if you haven't.
http://spacehulk-deathwing.com/?_ga=1.255402369.842857439.1431003767

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Radish posted:

That's cool where is it from?

Was posted in the Bad Thread (which is being pretty ok right now since it's mostly posting rad art!). Drawn by one Karl Kopinsky. I'm not sure if it's from a 40k book or what, but it's great.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The best thing I ever won at a tournament was a book of Blanche's old weird rear end Imperium art. The idea that there's more to that setting than SPAYCE MUHREENZ and the occational guardsman is cool and lots of that stuff was neat in a combination of body horror and Judge Dredd styles.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

adamantium|wang posted:

In the grim darkness of the far future there is only orange and cyan. But mostly orange.

Looks neat, but that isn't how inertia works in space.

Yes, I demand realistic physics from my games with gigantic space war cathedrals!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Let's be honest, Battlefleet Gothic has pretty much always been about reskinning naval engagements as space war.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Looks neat, but that isn't how inertia works in space.

Yes, I demand realistic physics from my games with gigantic space war cathedrals!

Ashcans posted:

Let's be honest, Battlefleet Gothic has pretty much always been about reskinning naval engagements as space war.

Yeah, pretty much, and BFG is the only part of GW/40k I actually care about. Would be cool if they could model the 3d aspect of space warfare, but I suppose having to understand orbital mechanics around celestial bodies while trying to maneuver for shots would kind bog things down.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

YF19pilot posted:

Yeah, pretty much, and BFG is the only part of GW/40k I actually care about. Would be cool if they could model the 3d aspect of space warfare, but I suppose having to understand orbital mechanics around celestial bodies while trying to maneuver for shots would kind bog things down.

Stuff like this is easy to wave away in 40k by saying that they have no idea about orbital mechanics. Gravity Well? That sounds like heresy son, now leave me alone I have to plot a course around the solar tidal flow.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ashcans posted:

There's now another game that does it well and fully supports it too ;)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ashcans posted:

Let's be honest, Battlefleet Gothic has pretty much always been about reskinning naval engagements the Battle of Jutland as space war.

Chill la Chill posted:

There's now another game that does it well and fully supports it too ;)

Which one? There's so many space fleet games now: Firestorm Armada, Dropfleet Commander, Halo Fleet Battles, Star Trek: Armada

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Star Wars armada. Dunno about the others but FFG's great organized play support really adds to the appeal.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Chill la Chill posted:

Star Wars armada. Dunno about the others but FFG's great organized play support really adds to the appeal.

Halo is out in a month or so, Dropfleet Commander by end of year I think. FWIW Andy Chambers is doing Dropfleet Commander, it's supposed to have some wild new ideas for rules.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Its more of an orbital space game though, with focus on getting troops to the surface, not a traditional "deep space" battle. The minis look amazing and I might even start DZC because of it.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Borris posted:

So there is a new BFG, done by the studio that made...
Styxx
Etherium
Cities XXL
Mordheim
Farming Simulator 15
Act of Aggression
Blood Bowl
None of these rate high on metacritic, will be worth a watch to see how they do.

They also released this weirdly sad and intense 40k trailer for Space Hulk Deathwing, worth a watch if you haven't.
http://spacehulk-deathwing.com/?_ga=1.255402369.842857439.1431003767

People are STILL losing their poo poo over the music choice in this trailer, which tells me that the fanbase doesn't even know a good thing when they see it.

Also, Cyanide has nothing whatsoever to do with the development of BFG or Deathwing, as far as I know. BFG is some small podunk one I've never heard of and Deathwing is made by Streumon, makers of the infamously insane E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy. Focus is just publishing all of these little games. In a move that's unusually neat, GW has - in selling their license to absolutely anyone making a half-hearted pitch at them - opened up a lot of unheard of studios and minor publishers to a ready market, something that's unheard of in AAA development. It technically makes GW incompetent because it will result in a glut of lovely games that devalue the Warhammer license to the consumer, but it opens the door to some indie making a hitter, doing it really well and succeeding off it based on whatever feeling of strength is left in the license after those lovely Space Wolf/Dark Angel mobile games have tainted it.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

The music choice in that trailer was literally perfect. It fit both the tone and the visuals so amazingly. If ALL 40k media was made with that level of craft, well, we wouldn't have this thread.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I seriously hope that game is the origin story of the Deathwing armor where a bunch of them realize the planet they are on is infested with Genestealers and decorate their armor in white paint and tokens based on their cultures death rites because they believe they're going to die, then go all :black101: and end up killing the Genestealer magus and patriarch.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

E.Y.E. is a good (but janky, the jank gives it a unique charm) game and Space Hulk looks good and I like the mariachi tune from the trailer a few months back.

But on the subject of 40k games, here's a 40k-themed Clash of Clans clone. :cripes:

I haven't played it myself but I'm wary of city-building games with timers and things like that.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The sad thing is that it's not even a very expensive army in comparison to something like the Eldar web bundles.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Ashcans posted:

I seriously hope that game is the origin story of the Deathwing armor where a bunch of them realize the planet they are on is infested with Genestealers and decorate their armor in white paint and tokens based on their cultures death rites because they believe they're going to die, then go all :black101: and end up killing the Genestealer magus and patriarch.

It's there main recruiting world, and they win when the captured librarian (Two-Heads-Talking) kills the patriach with a psykic attack and sacrificing himself- the rest of the 'stealer cult then loose organization and are cut down, leaving the 1st company survivors (Cloud-Runner, Lame Bear, Bloody Moon and Weasel-Fierce) to take the uninfected and start to rebuild the tribal society for 100 years, before the rest of the chapter show up.

The Deathwing supplement to Space Hulk was really good, and I still have the 1st ed one :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

That book was ace. I met Ian Watson in 2013. All round cool dude.

• Locked thread