Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
It's Latin food though so it should go with a heaping of cilantro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
whats wrong with mackerel and tomatoes? just throw in some garlic and onions and youve got a good meal going

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

V. Illych L. posted:

It's actually not that bad, taste-wise

it just looks bloody awful

norway.txt: "Not that bad, it just looks bloody awful"

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

My Imaginary GF posted:

norway.txt: "Not that bad, it just looks bloody awful"

you'll find that mostly, norway is pretty bad, but looks very nice

see also: the nature of, the people of

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R. Mute posted:

i guessed the politoons thread and 'added another layer of poo poo' but alas

americans are v. unrepentant about their past mass murders and it's kind of sick

I am repentant for our crimes but I don't think that "Should we have nuked Japan" is a historically resolved issue, as I've heard compelling arguments for both sides

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

nutranurse posted:

man that would just suck to have your genes go "lol nope" about eating certain foods

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allergy

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

nutranurse posted:

whats wrong with mackerel and tomatoes? just throw in some garlic and onions and youve got a good meal going

The trouble is that a Norwegian will see you eating that meal and say "Hey, maybe we should add some loving lye to that".

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zoux posted:

I am repentant for our crimes but I don't think that "Should we have nuked Japan" is a historically resolved issue, as I've heard compelling arguments for both sides

oh it was resolved, my thesis that we should have nuked tokyo first and only is the resolution

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

zoux posted:

the problem with the debate imo is it's often treated as a seperate issue from strategic bombing, which it shouldn't be as everyone saw the atomic bomb as the logical conclusion to strategic bombing.

which can be a strike against it (strategic bombing's effectiveness is dubious) or for it (it accomplished the intended goal of strategic bombing campaigns by demoralizing the civilian population)

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Alhazred posted:

The trouble is that a Norwegian will see you eating that meal and say "Hey, maybe we should add some loving lye to that".

you know what would really add some panache? letting it rot for a while

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

zoux posted:

the fact that it's a 'historically unresolved issue' to people is sick also

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

zoux posted:

It is pretty much agreed that the amount of nuking inflicted on Japan was not right.

Regarding whether Japan should have been nuked more or less is still an open debate, though.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

paranoid randroid posted:

you know what would really add some panache? letting it rot for a while

or you can ferment it in a tin can, that is also a classic

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dreylad posted:

the problem with the debate imo is it's often treated as a seperate issue from strategic bombing, which it shouldn't be as everyone saw the atomic bomb as the logical conclusion to strategic bombing.

which can be a strike against it (strategic bombing's effectiveness is dubious) or for it (it accomplished the intended goal of strategic bombing campaigns by demoralizing the civilian population)

i just don't see it as that distinct from all the other 100k casualty bombing campaigns we did. As a historical precedent and setting the table for the Cold War and nuclear arms race it was clearly significant but as far as being a uniquely heinous war crime well :shrug:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

due to institutional inertia on the US side and internal political disarray between the "never surrender" and the "its about time to surrender, maybe" factions on the japanese side the bombing was going to happen no matter what

the better question was, how did the bombing trigger the end of the war amd how did that influence early US nuclear policy leading into the cold war

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

zoux posted:

i just don't see it as that distinct from all the other 100k casualty bombing campaigns we did. As a historical precedent and setting the table for the Cold War and nuclear arms race it was clearly significant but as far as being a uniquely heinous war crime well :shrug:

ya that's my point

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

the only thing which ain't resolved is whether we should have stopped nuking them, or whether we should have nuked the germans first

imperial japan had to die, zoux. they were the nazis of asia who bombed loving pearl harbour. When you bomb loving pearl harbour, how the gently caress do you think the war is gonna end? Its gonna end with someone getting nuked, thats how. Japanese civilians didnt wanna get nuked? Shoulda overthrown their government and unconditionally surrendered! Whats that, they didn't? Then they deserved it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The US only had two bombs so. . .

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R. Mute posted:

the fact that it's a 'historically unresolved issue' to people is sick also

its war dude, if you are taking the position that war is categorically bad then i dont see why nuking japan was any different than fire bombing dresden or even bombing campaigns that killed far fewer civilians, as I don't think there's a moral body count threshold where a thing suddenly goes from good to bad

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
nuking germany after it surrendered would probably be considered bad form

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hahah yes. Japan is so unreasonable!!! *demands unconditional surrender*

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dreylad posted:

You can't wage war when you have no civilians. In WW2, there were no civilians in Japan or Germany, there were only repressed minorities and fascists.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

euphronius posted:

*kills 20 million Chinese* hmmm it looks as if Japan is not quite as reasonable as you imply after all

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

the argument to my mind is that one can only compare the a bombs as a moral issue with respect to other belligerent actions in the war and as far as that goes I don't see it as unique

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

My Imaginary GF posted:

You can't wage war when you have no civilians. In WW2, there were no civilians in Japan or Germany, there were only repressed minorities and fascists.

oh good that has nothing to do with what i said

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
well the bit with dropping the bombs is that, unlike conventional bombing where there's sort of sustained effort to actually level a city, nuking them was pretty shocking. like in the blink of an eye, two cities just erased from the planet. also how terrible the aftereffects were -- but we only loosely understood that at the time.

in term of being "repentant for our mass murders" -- are the victors of any war ever made to apologize for what they do to win it?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

*kills 20 million Chinese* hmmm it looks as if Japan is not quite as reasonable as you imply after all

Thats a reaosnable number in the context of that era. Plus there are a lot of Chinese!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

oh hey japan, you've killed almost as many people as nazi germany so we'll let you have any say at all in peace terms

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

yeah i have 0 allergies and thank god daily for this

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

I have no problem nuking folks who operate extermination camps. Don't like it? Don't be a loving nazi operating gas chambers.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

zoux posted:

its war dude, if you are taking the position that war is categorically bad then i dont see why nuking japan was any different than fire bombing dresden or even bombing campaigns that killed far fewer civilians, as I don't think there's a moral body count threshold where a thing suddenly goes from good to bad
They firebombed Japan too. Something about releasing bats with incendiaries attached to their legs so that when they went to roost in the eaves of houses... yeah. Plus plain ol' firebombing.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh hey japan, you've killed almost as many people as nazi germany so we'll let you have any say at all in peace terms

oh whats that, you want to keep manchuria after testing bio weapons in it? well okay japan

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Serious replay though: Germans were completely conquered. Japan was not.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Germany treated Allied POWs better than Japan, to say the least.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

well the bit with dropping the bombs is that, unlike conventional bombing where there's sort of sustained effort to actually level a city, nuking them was pretty shocking. like in the blink of an eye, two cities just erased from the planet. also how terrible the aftereffects were -- but we only loosely understood that at the time.

in term of being "repentant for our mass murders" -- are the victors of any war ever made to apologize for what they do to win it?

I get how shocking and awesome the bombs were at the time but I'm not sure how that fits into the moral calculus of the act.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Sometimes you have to do some raping and murdering to make some eggs

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oracle posted:

They firebombed Japan too. Something about releasing bats with incendiaries attached to their legs so that when they went to roost in the eaves of houses... yeah. Plus plain ol' firebombing.

they didn't do the bat bombs, have you even ever read GBS?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
and i think we can also agree that it wasn't a matter of if the bombs were going to get dropped on someone, it was only a matter of who was going to drop them on who first.

zoux posted:

I get how shocking and awesome the bombs were at the time but I'm not sure how that fits into the moral calculus of the act.

it's the scale of what we were doing that mattered. in traditional bombing, people have a chance to survive. with the nukes, they did not. also, loosely, we could not be as discriminate w/r/t civilian targets.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

zoux posted:

they didn't do the bat bombs, have you even ever read GBS?
I quit after the third iteration of the Russian bear story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Raskolnikov38 posted:

A few more nukes and we could've solved this issue.

Shoulda executed the emperor, I tell you what. Show the world the power of 'living gods' in the fight of American firepower.

• Locked thread