Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Or, they include a rear end ton of controll options because not everyone likes the same poo poo.

If you spent as much effort just tweaking a couple thing, as oposed to complaing about "bugs", you might be having fun right now.

Something is hosed with your setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Norns posted:

Or, they include a rear end ton of controll options because not everyone likes the same poo poo.

If you spent as much effort just tweaking a couple thing, as oposed to complaing about "bugs", you might be having fun right now.

Something is hosed with your setup.

On the 8th setup someone's provided somewhere so far, game still feels like rear end compared to every other sim, send help

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Buy a wheel :D

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The control modes are sliders presets. That's all they are.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

quaunaut posted:

On the 8th setup someone's provided somewhere so far, game still feels like rear end compared to every other sim, send help

I can't help because I don't use a pad but I hope you get it all sorted out and have better times in the game soon :)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

are any goons racing together hand in hand?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Racing with a 360 controller and what seems to be the problem is the sensitivities, but I can't see where to change them.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Norns posted:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
GT4 is just about the sweet spot in terms of difficulty/control. Watkins Glen and GT4 seemingly go hand in hand. What a wonderful combo.

So still no Steam group? I'd be down to race tonight depending on the time.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I noticed when in a free practice on the California Highway that once you reach the end, the AI driver keeps trying to drive through the barriers in the road and repeatedly backs up and smashes into them :downs:

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Reason posted:

Racing with a 360 controller and what seems to be the problem is the sensitivities, but I can't see where to change them.

Its in the options, look hard enough and you'll find them buried in the menus.

quaunaut posted:

I find it hilarious you guys are blaming MS for this game's lovely controller handling, when I've literally not had a single problem with any other of a dozen games with my One controller, it's just this, in a game that you already acknowledge has serious control issues in other regards

The only control issue I've found is the poopy FFB that you can't adjust. Unless you count the intensity slider as an "adjustment." I've got everything else adjusted to make this feel as close to FM5 as possible. Really though, the game feels great, I'm just spoiled by FM5 and now I have to listen to the tires instead of *feel* the tires. :argh:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Wallrod posted:

I noticed when in a free practice on the California Highway that once you reach the end, the AI driver keeps trying to drive through the barriers in the road and repeatedly backs up and smashes into them :downs:

I hope that never gets fixed.

advion
Jul 25, 2005

Norns posted:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

holocaust bloopers posted:

So still no Steam group? I'd be down to race tonight depending on the time.

I created a steam group.

:siren: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonracingclub :siren:

It's public for now, just add yourself

ethanol fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 7, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

loving game. I'm pricing out a 125cc cart irl now...

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Neat, the patch unlocked a new car:

quote:

New Content:
* Unlocked the Lykan Hypersport and Livery Pack #1 (It has a Deadmau5 livery he uses on his BAC)

Bug Fixes:
* PC - Online - "Vote to Start" indicator not visible for host

e: lmao the dashboard for this thing looks like a tacky graphics card overclocking tool :psyduck:

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 7, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Where are liveries for PCARS? Any website like racedepartment?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I would really love if there was a way to save wheel presets because what I need of my wheel for kart racing is totally different for RGT-8 and for F1.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

WastedJoker posted:

I would really love if there was a way to save wheel presets because what I need of my wheel for kart racing is totally different for RGT-8 and for F1.
Absolutely this. Though it's really part of a bigger issue with the poor usability of the menus in general, being able to save setups would at least help by not making you go through them so many times.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea the menus are not great. Plugging in my g27 resets my ps4 configuration. It's annoying.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

WastedJoker posted:

Pretty sure you can set then per car on the car setup menus. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not at my pc.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Halkenguard posted:

I have a question for all yous guys who have already purchased the game.

Is there any kind of system in place (like iRacing's SR) to keep the online racing clean and wreck free?
If not, what is there to keep me from making GBS threads up race servers with bumper car action?

Nope, and nothing whatsoever. Public online games are atrocious like every other non-iRacing sim.

That's why I want proper dedicated server support, so at least then server admins could blacklist habitual wreckers and you wouldn't have to deal with the terrible lobby system.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Mootallica posted:

I actually thought the Karts were amazing - when I was using a wheel. With a 360 controller though they are woeful, hateful things that will murder you and your family at any time.
Pretty much. If I wasn't confident there's better gameplay elsewhere than the Karts on a controller (indeed I stopped playing after some practice with the Caterham invitational and the Caterham 7 was much more playable... albeit still a bit frustrating in a flimsy/twitchy feeling, but that's probably part learning curve and part that the car is literally light/flimsy), I'd have just as well uninstalled last night because that was hours of not fun at all once I got over the novelty of controller Karts playing like a ghetto NES arcade racer with really fancy graphics.

Passing AI in Karts is pretty hilariously easy though: get inside them going into a turn and then just gently side-push them as you go into the turn and off the track they go.

Also going to agree with whoever expressed frustration over not having control/assist/etc. options in the pause menu (among other bad UI choices... not a fan of the race UI either; there any mods for that?) so I can trial and error control problems that much easier.

SanitysEdge posted:

The secret to the 125 karts is to bump the front tire pressure up 0.2 bar and never lift off the throttle past corner entry
I did find I started spinning out less when I started having full throttle and full brake simultaneously going into medium-degree corners (not tight enough to really need brakes, not open enough to not slow at all) like that so a setup change that lets you throttle more is likely to be more stable; apparently Karts become very unstable without the gas peddle down, braking or not. :shrug:

quaunaut posted:

I'm on an XBox One controller.

If there's better control settings for this controller, I'd love to hear them. Otherwise, I might persist in this, but wow am I disappointed.

Edit: Hmm. And apparently, doing certain things the game doesn't expect makes it freak out pretty hard. Tried some recommended controller settings(and wow were they different from default), and while they worked pretty alright [...].
Got links to any you've tried that felt better than default? Using a DS3 pretending to be an Xbox controller and definitely wasn't feeling good with the default config.

Dirt Rally having good controller feel immediately, no changes necessary, really spoils PCars role as the perfect road-counterpart of it.

Combat Pretzel posted:

The sudden loss of control while cornering when playing with a gamepad probably stems from the tire model, which simulates the warping and buckling of the carcass under load, which results in grip loss. When driving on the edge, there isn't much leeway on a tire in that regard, the same time a gamepad isn't a precision control compared to a wheel (twiddly thumbstick vs nearly three full turns from lock to lock), which also gives force feedback early enough to let you react accordingly. Overshoot with the turn in, the stressed tire thanks you by skidding off track. Finally on top of that, the nature of it being a game makes people push the cars more than they'd in real life, minimizing the headroom.

--edit: Additionally, the caster in the front wheels will straighten or countersteer for you, if your rear breaks out or you understeer, because it feeds into the FFB of your wheel, which will turn the itself for you if you let it go. As in real life, however another disadvantage for the gamepad, which will pull the tires just straight if you let go of the stick, causing more grief on the car control.
This is interesting, but they're releasing the game on consoles so I feel like there should be behind-the-scenes assists or something for controller users if it is actually this difficult for the player to manage.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I have no idea what these guys are talking about. The game plays extremely well on a gamepad.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

loving lol. Guy trying to play the game with a dualshock 3. How are those triggers working for you...oh wait.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Norns posted:

loving lol. Guy trying to play the game with a dualshock 3. How are those triggers working for you...oh wait.
DS3 has triggers. :confused:

Works just fine for Dirt Rally to get top 150 times on the dailies out of like 4000 people doing them.

But, you know, your dickishness for people having issues is appreciated.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Wallrod posted:

Absolutely this. Though it's really part of a bigger issue with the poor usability of the menus in general, being able to save setups would at least help by not making you go through them so many times.

I absolutely loathe that they never put in the ability to make control adjustments for your controller/wheel while in a race. Having to exit to the menus, mess with it there, then try a race to see if it works well is a pain in the rear end.

That's the nice thing about Game Stock Car. Not saying that pCars sucks, there's just little things that are annoying that I'm sure they'll remedy down the line with a patch (I hope).

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

bUm posted:

Also going to agree with whoever expressed frustration over not having control/assist/etc. options in the pause menu (among other bad UI choices... not a fan of the race UI either; there any mods for that?) so I can trial and error control problems that much easier.

If you are playing on pc and have a keyboard in front of you just bind all the assists to keys and then you can toggle them on and off as you please.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Is there any on screen notification of an assist like traction control coming on?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

God drat it. Should I buy this on a PS4 hooked up to a 65" screen and full surround sound or my gaming PC with a 980 GTX?! Is it really that beautiful with a powerful graphics card?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Comrade Flynn posted:

God drat it. Should I buy this on a PS4 hooked up to a 65" screen and full surround sound or my gaming PC with a 980 GTX?! Is it really that beautiful with a powerful graphics card?

Yes, absolutely get it for a 980 gtx no question

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Comrade Flynn posted:

Do what I do, a long rear end hdmi cable to your TV.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

It looks great on my 780Ti. Definitely utalize your 980. (Or hook your pc up to your TV for the best of both worlds)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
A ps4 controller works best for this as the trackpad is a mouse and buttons can be used as right click left click

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
How is the career mode? A lot of stuff I be seen says it's pretty bland. Just wanted to know the opinions of it here.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

Do what I do, a long rear end hdmi cable to your TV.

I...never thought of that before.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
Not having a good experience with the online on the PS4 so far. It's either failing to join lobbies, or lobbies I do get into are full of people idling and not readying up to start the session.

The one I did find that tried to start just left me hanging on a black screen until I had to force-close the game on the PS4 home screen.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Ok, Here's a wheel FFB effort post. I've figured some stuff out. This is all dedicated to the per car FFB setups that you set up in the pits. I wish this was configurable globally but you can save the setups and it's not like Forza where you have like, 300 different cars, you're probably going to have one or two from each class that you use in each racing series and you're going to want to tune them before use anyway, so tuning the FFB for the car is fine. Plus, you don't have to back out of a practice session to the main menu to do it, you just go back to the pits and make adjustments.

The top 5 sliders deal with tire force, and more specifically, Front tire force.

Fx Scale is the intensity of forces coming from the Front (or back if you're in reverse) of the front tires.
Fy Scale is the intensity of forces coming from the sides of the front tires
Fz Scale is the intensity of forces coming from the bottom of the tire.

Play with these settings. Road feel like bumps and stuff increases when you increase the value of the Fz scale slider because these forces come from the underside of the tire. When your tire goes over something it compresses the suspension upward and this sends that compression to the steering wheel through vibration. Fy affects the weight of the wheel when turning. Higher values will make the wheel harder to turn and the wheel will want to return to center position more. When grip is lost the forces also decrease, making the wheel very light, just like in a real car. Fx adjustments are subtle and not very noticeable unless you're on the extreme edges of the range.

Mz Scale also seems to affect the weight of the steering wheel while turning.

Master Scale is a multiplier for the 4 items below it. Adjust to your preference after adjusting the 4 items. it will increase or decrease them all.

The second section is smoothing. Higher values will smooth out the particular forces, lower will make them more rough. There is no master scale for this one, each is done individually. For Fz smoothing it weakens the bumps.

The final setting on this page is Arm Angle, and that's only available in the "my garage" settings, not available from the pits during a race/practice/qualifying session. Arm angle simulates the way the steering wheel moves in relation to the hands and arms holding it. It's complicated to describe. I don't really know what to do with it.

On the second page of FFB settings you get the following:

Body and SoP. SoP stands for "seat of pants" and this is meant to transmit to the wheel what the rest of the car is doing, rather than the front tires which are all a real car's steering wheel would transmit. Since you aren't in a real car you aren't going to feel g-forces or the rear sliding or anything like that, so those have to be sent to the only sensory interface you have, the wheel.

Knowing what these things are is one thing, but knowing how to use them is something else. I don't know how to use them but I'll play with it.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 7, 2015

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

if you catch a long enough race for a full sunset. my god... they should have sent a poet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm trying to make a judgement call here. I am messing about with the PC version (that runs... ok on my machine, but you can tell it's just barely hanging on, and the flourish has been turned down a bit...) and trying to determine if I'd be better off with the PS4 version next week.

Have they said what the PS4 version has in terms of graphics settings that could translate to PC settings?

ie: Grass on Medium, Shadows on High, Textures at Medium, etc?

That would go a long way in helping me determine. :)

• Locked thread