Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the unabonger
i mean landy is making stir fry. at least when i make stir fry i dont really need to bind liquid ingredients in stir fry because there aren't many liquid ingredients, its just oil and sauce to taste...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i flunked out posted:

its not similar at all really. a good asian noodle dish doesn't have the same sort of sauce as pasta does...

i wonder about this since adding a corn starch slurry is common for asian sauces couldn't the starch in the cooking water substitute for some of that

the unabonger

Bo-Pepper posted:

i wonder about this since adding a corn starch slurry is common for asian sauces couldn't the starch in the cooking water substitute for some of that

not really. you want to cook the non noodle ingredients and get them perfect by themselves, and using a slurry that you know the exact proportions is much more reliable than using the noodle water.

om nom nom

om nom nom nom nom nom nom

That is a loving gorgeous sear man you are hired.

I also just noticed my autocorrect capitalizes loving I like it

landy.

Bo-Pepper posted:

draining for half an hour is way way too long like i don't even understand what that means it's like talking about how long ago the big bang was like you can give me numbers but my mind can't really comprehend its meaning

joke_explainer posted:

lol yeah thus is mind boggling. You finish your noodles, then go watch a tv show or sonerhung, then finish the less time sensitive stuff? :shrug: Next time get your sauce or w/e ready before hand since it can probably sit at a low temperature a bit longer without being ruined.

Yeah. Don't rinse them off...

Or if you have to (like cold water b/c they are going to overcook) save some starchy water to splash them with right before mixing

It's the first thing i do and one of the last things to go in the stir fry. I'll make sure to do it later on in the process from now on. As for the water, tfp is right about the stir fry i'm making. there really isn't that much liquid involved so i don't really need starchy water.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

om nom nom posted:

om nom nom

For a content post, I am on a huge farro kick. This is what farro looks like if you are unfamiliar:

Farro is one of my favorite grains/ carbohydrates in general, and has been since I first tried it. There are 3 different species of wheat that can be sold as farro, which you can Google if you want more specifics. It is a whole wheat berry that is a bit rougher in texture than barley, with which it can be used pretty much interchangeably.

I am currently on a farro kick because I got a great deal through the restaurant in which I work; between restaurant prices, buying in bulk, and a sale the purveyor was having, I payed $24 for 25lb. For comparison, a 24oz package of Bobs Red Mill organic(which mine is) farro retails for $6.17

So I have a lot of farro

I've even given away like 6 bags the same size as the ones in the picture.

Before cooking, you can soak your farro, although it isn't necessary. It does soften the grains and cut down on the cook time.
There are two ways I generally cook farro.

The first is to put it in a pot with chicken stock, cold, and some aromatics, such as thyme, shallots, garlic, black peppercorns, orange zest, bay leaf, etc. Be creative, this provides the base flavor for your farro.

Set the burner to med-high, once it starts to simmer reduce the heat to maintain a low simmer. Simmer 30 min-1hr, until the farro is soft, but still a little crunchy. Farro is almost difficult to overcook, and don't expect a mushy grain.

I like to cook a good amount(1.5-2lbs) this way and cool it on a cookie sheet in the fridge, and use it as I want, like making a salad with orange segments, spinach, radishes, and some balsamic and olive oil, or put a scoop into some soup and add some quick nutrition to a canned (or homemade and frozen) product. An option is to toast the grains in the oven, for 20ish minutes at 350 for a nuttier caramelized flavor. Vegetarians can use veg stock instead of chicken.

The second method takes a little more tlc. It is to make it similar to risotto. Used a saute pan with tall sides, and in a separate sauce pan heat up some chicken stock. Dice some onions and shallots, add olive oil to the saute pan, and once the pan is hot, add the onions and shallots and cook them until they are translucent. Add the farro (however much you are going to use-a couple of cups raw or so), and stir. Add a fair amount (i do like 1/2-3/4 stick) cold butter, don't cut it up just leave it as a stick.

Stir the farro relatively frequently, and use the butter as a "timer"- once the cube is melted, the farro will be toasted enough to start adding stock. Add the hot stock to the farro, stirring frequently, seasoning with salt in small amounts as you go. Keep adding chicken stock one ladle at a time until the farro is cooked. There should be very little residual moisture.

At this point I add a small amount of chicken stock, and finishing the risotto to taste with parmesan, lemon juice, salt, white pepper, and creme fraiche.

Here's a dish I made with farro risotto, ahi, beets, parsnip, red pepper andouille coulis, and a salad of micro arugula and scallions

om nom nom

I have a huge boner for farro so enjoy the awesome effort post in the awesome food effort post thread

om nom nom fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 7, 2015

joke_explainer

om nom nom posted:

That is a loving gorgeous sear man you are hired.

Thanks! Yeah the crust was crispy and great and it was certainly the best steak I've ever made. Too bad about the brussel sprouts.

That's beautiful. I'd love to try something like that. I don't think I've ever had farrow.

om nom nom posted:

I didn't mean to write a book Im sorry everyone

don't be sorry, I love long posts, especially in the food thread

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

om nom nom posted:

I didn't mean to write a book Im sorry everyone

what part of "effortpost funhouse" did you not understand that was great thanks

om nom nom

I wasn't going to mention the Brussels haha. But in a French brigade there are separate vegetable and meat cooks so there is hope yet.

What else have you tried in that sous vide aside from steak?

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

joke_explainer posted:

I don't think I've ever had farrow.

farrow prefers to be paired with something a little woody

om nom nom

Bo-Pepper posted:

what part of "effortpost funhouse" did you not understand that was great thanks

Alright I've edited my post due to popular demand thank you guys I love you all

om nom nom

joke_explainer posted:

I don't think I've ever had farrow.

I will literally mail you a bunch of you pm me your address you just have to post about cooking it.

If that's weird idk buy farro and post about it because it is great

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

is this an open offer because i will totally do a farro post

joke_explainer

om nom nom posted:

I wasn't going to mention the Brussels haha. But in a French brigade there are separate vegetable and meat cooks so there is hope yet.

What else have you tried in that sous vide aside from steak?

One problem is just its kind of out of season so they're tiny and varied in size a lot. They actually looked pretty good at first: Still green with lightly browned edges, cooked throughout, but then I realized they finished way longer than I thought they would, so I let the oven cool a bit then put them back in to keep warm. I guess it was still way too hot in there, because they came out lifeless and way overcooked. Plus garlic wasn't really great with them, shallots would have been better. Something to remember next time I guess.

I made 2 eggs soft boiled at exactly 150 degrees that ended up with beautiful set but orange and gooey yolks and smeared them on toast for breakfast, but thats the only other thing so far. I'm trying to decide what to make when my sister visits next week. I figured going for something that really benefits from the long, low temperature thing but haven't decided what to do yet.

landy.

Bo-Pepper posted:

om nom nom

Bo-Pepper posted:

Sure

joke_explainer

I'll just buy some to keep you from having to mail 20 different yobbers who are staring at their bank accounts with -1.20$ and got 16$ available on one credit card and are trying to figure out how they are going to afford to pick up GTA V this month and eat when their eyes light up at that.

landy.

joke_explainer posted:

I'll just buy some to keep you from having to mail 20 different yobbers who are staring at their bank accounts with -1.20$ and got 16$ available on one credit card and are trying to figure out how they are going to afford to pick up GTA V this month and eat when their eyes light up at that.

how did you know?

om nom nom

Ok here's the deal, 2 people besides bo-pepper get farro f they want it and you have to post about it. He can have it because he will thank me with a good post, as the other two drat well better. First two and bo (and joke explainer the offers still there) get this much farro.

And joke_explainer with a cap at four this endeavour will cost me like 15 bucks tops and we may get some fun posts out of it, so don't feel bad if you want some free farro to try

om nom nom fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 7, 2015

joke_explainer

Alright, I'm in I guess. The first Ingredient Challenge of the BYOB Fine Dining Effortpost Funhouse... Landy vs Bo Pepper vs Securitydrone. Profiles of our BYOB iron chefs:

Landy: Recently became vegetarian, no real cooking experience

Securitydrone: Lots of kitchen gadgets, doesn't really know what he's doing

Bo Pepper: Like two decades of working in a commercial kitchen

om nom nom

One more spot available, I'll send them out tomorrow after work

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
i tried to make baked apples

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
"kill me" - the apples

----------------

om nom nom

What kind of apples did you use?

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
granny smith

----------------

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

haha oh god

joke_explainer

I'd use a baking dish or dutch oven or something.

Make your crumble filling wihh butter, cinnamon, oats, flour, salt, brown sugar, whateve else you want. Roll the the apples before you put them in melted butter, sugar, brown sugar a little salt and cinnamon. I'm sure the filling was good, that looks fine I guess, just you need some kind of oil for heat transfer on the outside of the apples.

I like the skin on approach, they’d crisp up nicely I think. Put them in the pre-heated oven (in a dutch oven that set in the oven preferably), pour about a cup of apple juice in there, then bake for about an hour with the lid on. Then remove the lid and top with your crumble and bake at 450 until the topping is brown, 15-20 minutes. Remove and let it rest for a while to cool down, butter and sugar can get really hot. Having no kind of container meant everything is just going everywhere on your baking dish so that should help. Good luck!

joke_explainer

Oh, I would slit the skins though, score them all around before rolling them in the melted butter / sugar mixture. It looks like the intact skins burst at some point ejecting and deflating your soft apples.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

at the very least poke it all over with a fork any sealed in item like that should have openings for steam to escape

joke_explainer

Agree w/ Bo Pepper, though I think slitting it will let the sugar/butter get in the nooks and crannies and make it overall more delicious at the end. but who knows. I'm just guessing here.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

but again hahha at those apples drat

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
at least they were tasty

----------------

alnilam

om nom nom posted:

One more spot available, I'll send them out tomorrow after work

I will accept the farro challenge please

ty manifisto

om nom nom

I haven't made baked apples since wrapping them in tin foil and throwing them in the fire at boy scout camp.

I made my girlfriend and I BLTEs for lunch.

Bacon, arugula tossed in evoo, lemon juice, s+p, heirloom tomato, tapatio aoli ( mayo lemon s and p tapatio beef stock), poached eggs on a local demi baguette

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

my local farmer's market starts back up this month and i'm super excited

om nom nom

alnilam posted:

I will accept the farro challenge please

Alright that's everyone I just need addresses from landy and bo

I'll take pictures before I send everything tomorrow. This is fun I hope we get some good and different ideas from yobbers trying to cook something new!

alnilam

Two vegetarians in the challenge :henget:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landy.

joke_explainer posted:

Alright, I'm in I guess. The first Ingredient Challenge of the BYOB Fine Dining Effortpost Funhouse... Landy vs Bo Pepper vs Securitydrone. Profiles of our BYOB iron chefs:

Landy: Recently became vegetarian, no real cooking experience

Securitydrone: Lots of kitchen gadgets, doesn't really know what he's doing

Bo Pepper: Like two decades of working in a commercial kitchen

so do you guys want to give up now, or...