Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I have a friend who watches Bidspotter - anyone in the Leeds area who's interested in a big stack of tools, office and shop equipment, benches, materials etc including some very nice hardwoods, should check this out http://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/s...=1&pageSize=240

Closes in 15 hours, entry price is ONE loving POUND per lot and thus far it looks like there is not a lot of interest. If I could spare the time to drive to Leeds this week, and could spare the storage space, I would be there in a loving heartbeat.

I feel so bad for the poor guys whose company has gone under though, it must be crushing to see this stuff happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

drat, I could find a home for some of that...in about 2 months :downsgun:

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Wild EEPROM posted:

I took a picture of the screw from the side to see if there was any threadlocker. Doesn't look like it.
Looks like it's one of those straighter slots, but I've tried flat-heads jammed in there (bad idea, I know), and the only thing it does is gently caress the screwdriver.

Ooooohhhhh, that is a JCIS (Japanese Camera Industrial Standard) screw. I think its probably compatible with JIS screwdriver blades, but you might need to double check. Regular philips and to a much lesser extent DIN screwdrivers will still mess it up.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I hate philips head screws so much. Torx is all I ever use, it seems to be taking over here as the standard.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Do you suffer from mitre saw penis envy? Well here's the answer to your prayers, only €150:

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
And look at the size of their dust collection!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Zhentar posted:

And look at the size of their dust collection!

I scrolled back up to the photo and spent some time looking for a gigantic dust collector before I twigged to what you meant.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
I'd like some advice on hearing protection. I've got these rubber in-ear christmas tree things, they're good for 30dB of dampening, but they are uncomfortable as hell, and they have the annoying habit of falling out of my ear when I am in the middle of routing stuff.

According to the manufacturer of my router and circular saw, these machines make upto 106dB of noise running without load. So they are probably more loud than that during cutting.

For comfort sake I want some of those mickey mouse over-ear dampeners, but I can't find any rated above 23dB.

Anyways, I like my hearing and I'd like to keep it. Does over-ear protection exist that gives ~30dB? Or should I just not worry too much about it and just deal with 7-10dB of extra noise?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I've got a set of 3m peltor x series that are rated at 30. You can improve on that by wearing earplugs underneath if you want.

Osha says get down to 70-85db and you're good.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

As oxbrain says, you can combine over-ear muffs with in-ear plugs for additional attenuation. Pretty common when shooting indoors.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Deedle posted:

For comfort sake I want some of those mickey mouse over-ear dampeners, but I can't find any rated above 23dB.

Went to Amazon, typed "over ear hearing protection" into the search box, this was the second result, rated at 35dB.

I have a set of earcans; they're a lot more comfortable than earplugs for me. I take them on airplane flights too, and it makes a noticeable difference in how fatiguing the flight is.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Deedle posted:

I'd like some advice on hearing protection. I've got these rubber in-ear christmas tree things, they're good for 30dB of dampening, but they are uncomfortable as hell, and they have the annoying habit of falling out of my ear when I am in the middle of routing stuff.

This comes up a decent amount, and I always ask: are you sure you know how to use ear plugs? It's not as straightforward as most people think (you don't just jam them in there).

I like the Howard Leight Maxes (the orange ones). They are foam, and you need to gently roll them between two fingers to warm them up and compress them. Then you reach over your head with the opposite arm and pull up on the top of your ear lobe a bit, then put the plug in. Give it a second to reinflate and it will be comfortable and absolutely not come out.

If yours are the proper size you can probably get them in that way and they won't fall out (and the will work a LOT better).

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

I've never had a problem with just plain foam earplugs, even shooting rifles in an indoor range. So you will be fine running a router. But as Motronic said, you HAVE to insert them correctly.

I apparently have really small ears/ear canals as I've never had a pair of "ear buds" that will actually stay in my ear longer than 30 seconds. However, properly inserted foam ear plugs (where only the very tip is visible) will stay in forever and reduce sound considerably.

This video shows you how to properly insert them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S6dthcSVIM

VVV Yeah, I understood. I was just saying you don't need to buy new expensive ear muffs or anything. Some 50 cent foam plugs are more than adequate when used properly.

sbyers77 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 8, 2015

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

He's talking about the rubber ones that you don't compress, like this:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lwoodio posted:

He's talking about the rubber ones that you don't compress, like this:

Yeah, I haven't had issues with those falling out if they are correctly inserted myself. However, I just got a set of custom molded ones thanks to some charity, and they are the bomb except I haven't gotten the hang of fitting them in smoothly yet.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I'm a huge fan of active noise reduction 'muffs. I've got the Ryobi Tek4 ones, and they make everything in the shop so much better. I can still hear the stereo, or my wife coming in, but the grinder/saw/router/hammering is at the same volume as everything else. I used to wear plugs, but didn't like the loss of situational awareness. They are also amazing for yard work, like mowing the lawn or using a strimmer.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Tek4-Audio-Plus-Noise-Suppression-Headphones-RP4530/100671268

The Wolfen
Apr 12, 2007
Wanted Ghost Coon. Cannot be treed or trapped. Reward Ghost Coon Skin Cap!
Fun Shoe
I don't often have much to add, but I have a pair of active noise reduction 'muffs as well and I love them. Mine are on the lower level of decibel reduction (20-25 if I remember right), but they've been great on the range shooting, doing yard work, or in the garage cutting. I usually crank the volume all the way up so I can hear my neighbor before he's right behind me. Guy doesn't seem to understand the danger he's in sneaking up on a man with a weed eater going full tilt in his hands.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_i=desktop

That's the pair I have.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are there any cheap dremel-like tools that aren't going to poo poo out under light duty? Is the $30 harbor freight going to leave me crying?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

The Wolfen posted:

I don't often have much to add, but I have a pair of active noise reduction 'muffs as well and I love them.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_i=desktop

That's the pair I have.

These aren't active, they just disable the microphones when the outside volume gets too loud.

However, you can glue one of these on the side and listen to music.
http://www.amazon.com/Okra-Portable-Bluetooth-Receiver-Headphones/dp/B00N9HDQKW

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are there any cheap dremel-like tools that aren't going to poo poo out under light duty? Is the $30 harbor freight going to leave me crying?

I've been beating the poo poo out of my black and decker rotary tool for over a decade and it works just fine.
https://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-RTX-B-3-Speed-Rotary/dp/B000MUSLCC

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Check Amazon for "rotary tool"

No name plug in: $17
No name cordless: $10 (? good reviews too)
Black and Decker: $30
Dewalt: $50

Others too. Get a good set of bits to go with it. The larger the set the cheaper they are.

I'll say that it's a pretty useful category of tool so if you're going to buy a name brand it's not a bad tool to do it for. I have the M12 Milwaukee which is obviously nice because it shares batteries.

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 9, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks. I'm inclined to go with the Black and Decker, but I'll look at the other ones. I'm going to wait until next month to buy, so I've got time to decide.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So I picked up a little companion for my miniature lathe.

The blue thing is a mechanical pencil for scale. It's a miniature 3 axis mill.

Not sure what I'm going to use it for quite yet, but it's a cool little milling machine, so I'm sure I can find something completely silly to make with it on future builds.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Looking for recommendation for a decent electric power washer. Yeah, I'm sure gas is probably more powerful, but the only things I really need it for are cleaning the deck which isn't that huge, and maybe washing the car.

I've also decided to go all electric / cordless for yard tools, even the push mower is electric. It's kind of grand experiment to see how long I can get away without keeping gas around.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Doctor Zero posted:

Looking for recommendation for a decent electric power washer. Yeah, I'm sure gas is probably more powerful, but the only things I really need it for are cleaning the deck which isn't that huge, and maybe washing the car.

I've also decided to go all electric / cordless for yard tools, even the push mower is electric. It's kind of grand experiment to see how long I can get away without keeping gas around.

I bought an AR clean 142 from Woot, it's pretty weak compared to the 4000 psi monsters I've used in the past, but it's tiny, quiet, and does well around the house without real danger of damage unless you go nuts. I've got two or three hours on it, so no idea on reliability.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

Doctor Zero posted:

I think Harbor Freight has one on sale this weekend. I have a Husky brand one and I'm pretty sure they're all made in the same Chinese factory. They're sometimes questionable but it's been going for over 10 years and works fine for washing cars, grills, and concrete.

And I love my electric mower and line trimmer.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I need to strip some paint off my deck, is that Harbor Freight washer good enough for that?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Inherited a Bolens gas string trimmer, and it's a complete nightmare to use. Engine is fickle, bump head is unusable in the yard, rewinding string and threading it through holes and into sprockets is arduous, and the string constantly breaks and winds into the spool requiring restringing.

So I've been looking at some battery powered trimmers. All I need it for is edging the lawn around the driveway and sidewalk, trimming under overhangs, around flower beds, and along my back fence. I don't need a bunch of power for bushes or saplings or anything.

We've got gift cards to Lowes, and at the moment the Kobalt 40v looks like the best option at $150. Its auto-advance works by advancing with a trigger pull which isn't awesome, but reviews are saying that the Black & Decker one advances when the head gets bogged down, and it gets bogged down easily on low power. But then higher powers chew threw battery too quickly.

Should we save the gift card for something else and hit up Home Depot for one of the Ryobi offerings?

My main concerns are that I don't want to have to constantly dick with the line and I want the battery to last, both during use and after x number of charges.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

As far as trimmer heads go, just get one of these and be happy the rest of your life: http://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-Ugly-Head-16738-015221167388/dp/B0088KIWYU

They are so fantastic. Takes regular ol' trimmer string, before you go out just cut a handful of 1' long lengths and stick 'em in your pocket. I tried several different heads, and eventually got that one on recommendation of probably this thread. I wish I'd started with that head.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I need to strip some paint off my deck, is that Harbor Freight washer good enough for that?

Depends on the condition of the paint, but generally no. Most of what I've seen recommend 4000+PSI for paint stripping.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Bad Munki posted:

As far as trimmer heads go, just get one of these and be happy the rest of your life: http://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-Ugly-Head-16738-015221167388/dp/B0088KIWYU

They are so fantastic. Takes regular ol' trimmer string, before you go out just cut a handful of 1' long lengths and stick 'em in your pocket. I tried several different heads, and eventually got that one on recommendation of probably this thread. I wish I'd started with that head.

Well that looks interesting. Not sure if it'd work with the gas trimmer I have, not only attaching wise but also because it doesn't stop the head from spinning when it idles, so I'd have to shut the engine off to stick a new string in it. It doesn't always like to restart when it gets stopped after a while.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Most trimmers (every trimer?) I've seen, when idling, don't actually stop the head, but they also don't apply any torque, so it's just spinning by virtue of sharing a completely open clutch. Usually you can just mash the head into the grass or even grab it, if the rpm is low enough, and it'll happily stop without causing any trouble.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

dakana posted:

Inherited a Bolens gas string trimmer, and it's a complete nightmare to use. Engine is fickle, bump head is unusable in the yard, rewinding string and threading it through holes and into sprockets is arduous, and the string constantly breaks and winds into the spool requiring restringing.

So I've been looking at some battery powered trimmers. All I need it for is edging the lawn around the driveway and sidewalk, trimming under overhangs, around flower beds, and along my back fence. I don't need a bunch of power for bushes or saplings or anything.

We've got gift cards to Lowes, and at the moment the Kobalt 40v looks like the best option at $150. Its auto-advance works by advancing with a trigger pull which isn't awesome, but reviews are saying that the Black & Decker one advances when the head gets bogged down, and it gets bogged down easily on low power. But then higher powers chew threw battery too quickly.

Should we save the gift card for something else and hit up Home Depot for one of the Ryobi offerings?

My main concerns are that I don't want to have to constantly dick with the line and I want the battery to last, both during use and after x number of charges.

I haven't used their trimmer, but I got an EGo battery powered mower a month or so ago, and it's great so far. I'm very tempted to get the trimmer as well. Their tools all use the same battery which seems to have pretty decent life and quick charge time.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

oxbrain posted:

I've got a set of 3m peltor x series that are rated at 30. You can improve on that by wearing earplugs underneath if you want.

Osha says get down to 70-85db and you're good.

This helped a lot. It seems like Peltor is sold here as being its own brand, and conrad sells them. I've ordered a set of X5A, rated at 37dB.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
I have a question about online Harbor Freight orders. I want to get the folding trailer, and they had the 25% off a single item Mother's Day coupon today, but I couldn't make it to the store today (I had to, you know, see my mom instead). Since they don't offer buy online-pickup in store, I read that you can print a copy of your online shopping cart with the coupon applied and they should honor it in-store, even if it's past the date of the coupon. Anyone tried this or can confirm it will work so I don't walk into the store and look like a total moron tomorrow?

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
This is going to stretch the upper bounds of this thread but I really don't think it fits anywhere else either.

The bookstore my wife managed closed and this past weekend I went up with my tools to help her disassemble everything for the company trucks to haul away the fixtures. After she had me undo the 2 Putnam ladder company rails she informed me that her boss said she could have them and the 2 beautiful ladders that were in the back! So... now I have 2 ladders and nothing to do with them, they don't fit upstairs in my wife's library. I could use one in the garage for some kind of truly insane pegboard system but now that I have my rolling carts that might also be overkill. Maybe if we redo the kitchen we could put one in there... Thoughts? Ideas?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pics?

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Anubis posted:

This is going to stretch the upper bounds of this thread but I really don't think it fits anywhere else either.

The bookstore my wife managed closed and this past weekend I went up with my tools to help her disassemble everything for the company trucks to haul away the fixtures. After she had me undo the 2 Putnam ladder company rails she informed me that her boss said she could have them and the 2 beautiful ladders that were in the back! So... now I have 2 ladders and nothing to do with them, they don't fit upstairs in my wife's library. I could use one in the garage for some kind of truly insane pegboard system but now that I have my rolling carts that might also be overkill. Maybe if we redo the kitchen we could put one in there... Thoughts? Ideas?

The time has come to build a Gatsby sized personal porn library complete with sliding ladders.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I might be in the market for a new lawnmower very soon and I had some questions.

1) This might seem really obvious, but from what I gather there are three main styles when it comes to disposing of clippings - Bagging, Mulching and side Discharge . Right now I have a bagger, which isn't too bad, but if I want to get rid of my clippings, I have to drive the bags out to the yard waste place on the other side of town. Not the end of the world, but if I don't have to spend an hour ferrying each car load of trash back and forth, I'm pretty happy. So I would think that a mulcher would be the better option, but to be sure, does that mean that I can just leave the clippings on the lawn essentially and not only is it good for the lawn, but it doesn't look like poo poo? Or do I look like a lazy slob with cut grass strewn all over the yard and I'd just have to rake it up and bag it anyway?

2) Are cordless electric models any good for doing a small yard (~3000 sq ft, front and back) or do they kind of suck still? I remember when I was a kid electric mowers seemed weak and didn't hold a charge for very long.

3) Are there any brands/models/features I need to stay away from? I don't need anything beastly powerful. I don't need a riding mower (and I don't have room frankly). Any recommendations for brand? I'm looking to spend under $500, which I think will get me almost anything in a basic model.

TIA

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Mulching is pretty great for lawn quality and health, as long as you aren't the kind of guy who only mows when the grass is so high you can't see your shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Compost your clippings. If you don't garden you can trade it to a gardener for some veggies.