Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
If downloading mods at all in the future is something you'd be interested in (be they physics mods, HUD addons, new cars/tracks) I'd stick with the PC version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

ethanol posted:

if you catch a long enough race for a full sunset. my god... they should have sent a poet

Everyone owes it to themselves to do the following:

Watkins Glen
Oreca Nissan LMP2
Real Weather
17:00
15/20x Time Progression
10-20x Weather Progression
Oculus Rift

Going from Day/Night/Day, seeing your surroundings light up as the night falls, having it rain midway through, all while seeing the rain splatter on your helmet is fantastic.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Feenix posted:

I'm trying to make a judgement call here. I am messing about with the PC version (that runs... ok on my machine, but you can tell it's just barely hanging on, and the flourish has been turned down a bit...) and trying to determine if I'd be better off with the PS4 version next week.

Have they said what the PS4 version has in terms of graphics settings that could translate to PC settings?

ie: Grass on Medium, Shadows on High, Textures at Medium, etc?

That would go a long way in helping me determine. :)

SMS has said the PS4 version is a mixture of medium/high. You're looking at a full 1080p image plus 4x AA, variable AF on elements, and a mostly stable 60 unless you're actively trying to tank the frame rate. Thunderstorms on a full 48 car grid kind of thing.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It is ridiculous how much better the Formula Rookie cars feel than the karts on a controller. If you are frustrated with the latter just skip it for now.

Comma Chameleon
Apr 30, 2008

Anyone who is just starting but dislikes karts should consider the Clio Cup. It's a very well balanced FF but it's short wheelbase gives it predictable lift off oversteer, and if you want even more rotation you can stiffen up the rear swaybar.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
You guys GT4 is the game's sweet spot.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

GutBomb posted:

Ok, Here's a wheel FFB effort post. I've figured some stuff out. This is all dedicated to the per car FFB setups that you set up in the pits. I wish this was configurable globally but you can save the setups and it's not like Forza where you have like, 300 different cars, you're probably going to have one or two from each class that you use in each racing series and you're going to want to tune them before use anyway, so tuning the FFB for the car is fine. Plus, you don't have to back out of a practice session to the main menu to do it, you just go back to the pits and make adjustments.

Thank for this. When I finally get off my rear end and move my wheel to my office this weekend, I'll give them a try. Until then I'm on my xbone controller.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Really want to race in the formula rookies with you guys. What a fun little car!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I don't understand how you invite people, the button doesn't seem to work

edit: nevermind, the steam overlay had to be on

ethanol fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 7, 2015

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Controller gamepad settings I use:

Controller input mode 3
Steering sensitivity reduced to 30
Speed sensitivity reduced to 60

From that, I make per car tweaks , differential tweaking to fix wheel spin, increasing the down force on faster cars, increasing steering ratio to help with quick steering that can cause loss of control.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

GutBomb posted:

If downloading mods at all in the future is something you'd be interested in (be they physics mods, HUD addons, new cars/tracks) I'd stick with the PC version.

Well, those are nice things, but mostly-mostly i just want a solid-running, solid-looking racing game foremost.

holocaust bloopers posted:

SMS has said the PS4 version is a mixture of medium/high. You're looking at a full 1080p image plus 4x AA, variable AF on elements, and a mostly stable 60 unless you're actively trying to tank the frame rate. Thunderstorms on a full 48 car grid kind of thing.

Good to know. Maybe I'll gamefly it first and see... that doesn't sound half bad.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Feenix posted:

Well, those are nice things, but mostly-mostly i just want a solid-running, solid-looking racing game foremost.

Good to know. Maybe I'll gamefly it first and see... that doesn't sound half bad.

Check out Gamersyde for direct feed videos. That'll give you a definitive answer in terms of visuals and performance.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Check out Gamersyde for direct feed videos. That'll give you a definitive answer in terms of visuals and performance.

Good call. :)

Also, FRAPs doesn't seem to be putting up a frame counter. Is there a way to do that in-game?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Is it realy unplayable with a controller? I dont have space for a loving wheel.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Feenix posted:

Also, FRAPs doesn't seem to be putting up a frame counter. Is there a way to do that in-game?

The Steam Community overlay has an FPS counter now, just turn it on in Steam settings.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

track day bro! posted:

Its fine, karts are really squirrely with a controller is my only complaint so far.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

track day bro! posted:

Not even close, it's perfectly fine with a controller. I don't understand the polarizing opinions on controller support.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Feenix posted:

Not in the console version no.

track day bro! posted:

Not at all. Some people are having issues for whatever reason.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

track day bro! posted:

No, see my post above for a game controller setup.

I think a lot of controller players are conditioned from playing other arcade racers and having trouble adjusting. Also some of the cars default settings are terrible or bad for the track your on. In general the game isn't a set and forget when it comes to handling.

A good tip when figuring out the handling and settings is to go into Time Trial, not free practice. Benefit is you can watch your ghost data later From time trial, you can see the best times for that car on that track with a controller. I just finished messing around with the P30 on Dubai International, thus you can see my time and ghost data for comparisons.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
I finally got into an online lobby, so I present to you the PS4 Project CARS online experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7R19Dz9K6E

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
if you were honestly expecting anything different i dont know what to tell you.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Aishan posted:

I finally got into an online lobby, so I present to you the PS4 Project CARS online experience:

Looks about right. It features full throttle on cold tires, people trying to win the race on turn 1, lap 1. It has people going off track and trying to re-enter in reverse without looking at what's coming. It's got it all!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Aishan posted:

this game fails spectacularly hard with people who have high pings

ethanol posted:

I created a steam group.

:siren: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonracingclub :siren:

It's public for now, just add yourself
for the new page

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Aishan posted:

Not too much different from other racing games. :xd:

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

bUm posted:

Got links to any you've tried that felt better than default? Using a DS3 pretending to be an Xbox controller and definitely wasn't feeling good with the default config.

Dirt Rally having good controller feel immediately, no changes necessary, really spoils PCars role as the perfect road-counterpart of it.

The best I've gotten out of my XBox One controller:

• Steering Deadzone: 5
  • Steering Sensitivity: 0
  • Throttle Deadzone: 0
  • Throttle Sensitivity: 30
  • Brake Deadzone: 10
  • Brake Sensitivity: 15
  • Clutch Deadzone: 0
  • Clutch Sensitivity: 45
  • Speed Sensitivty: 65
  • Controller Filtering Sensitivity: 50
  • Soft Steering Dampening: On
  • Visual Wheel Filtering: On
  • Opposite Lock Help: Off

advion
Jul 25, 2005
I completely forgot they released all the driver input that had gotten over the years. If you're bored and bitching about why what handles like you don't think it should because you're a pro drive who has driven all of these cars then this may be a good read for you.

http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/project-cars-driver-feedback-compilation-available/

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Neogaf already disputed that document. All PR

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Neogaf already disputed that document. All PR

huh? are you saying somebody made all that poo poo up?

advion
Jul 25, 2005
I don't really give a poo poo what NeoGAF says or whether they think it's real or not. It's real, I've seen the forum threads and I highly doubt SMS was holding their hand telling them to post only certain poo poo.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
God bless NeoGaf for protecting us from deceitful video game corporations

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

ethanol posted:

huh? are you saying somebody made all that poo poo up?

No it's for real but Neogaf simply doesn't believe it to be a sign of realism.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

PR wrote 400 pages about tire carcasses?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I love those gaf and reddit idiots who dispute highly technical physics based on zero experience or academic background.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

NeoGAF is an awful forum and its users don't know what they are talking about.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah but iracing has ice rink like physics so pcars must be wrong because cars do not have grip despite being designed to.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I can't find an option to reset the cockpit camera to defaults after screwing with seat heights and angles. Does it exist?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
This game in a thunderstorm at night in an open wheeler in the Rift is beyond anything else I have ever played, it's seriously mind boggling.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

There's some stuff about clean online racing in the player stats (% races completed, % no penalties, % disqualified). Could theoretically be used for matchmaking, but I don't really see any matchmaking yet.

There's a dedicated server too, but I don't know how it works.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there such thing as a cheap PC Driving wheel that's tolerable under $100? Not looking for simulation just something more immersive than a controller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Is there any borderless windowed mode? Didn't see it in options.

• Locked thread