Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
I just want to use the flag I have in KSP - it's from the TOS episode "Mirror, Mirror".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Hagop posted:

I am going to guess he means the Imperial German Navy flag.

Probably a safe assumption since the Nazi naval flag is both ugly, and has a swastika on it.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Hagop posted:

I am going to guess he means the Imperial German Navy flag.

I guessed the Nazi flag because I've seen so many people crying about this issue over the years. Apparently, not having a nazi flag breaks their immersion.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Dalael posted:

If you are talking about the swastika, I'm willing to bet it won't be added. If they do, it will make the game illegal in Germany and wargamming will not want to lose this player base. They know abunch of them will thrown money at the Bismark and any other ships they can buy.

Hell no.

Accept no substitutes.

Dalael posted:

I guessed the Nazi flag because I've seen so many people crying about this issue over the years. Apparently, not having a nazi flag breaks their immersion.

Yeah I trolled a thread full of the miserable fucks. Apparently some people who need their history also have a strange need to establish Nazi Germany wasn't that bad and the Soviets were bad too. Who knew?

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012

Dalael posted:

If you are talking about the swastika, I'm willing to bet it won't be added. If they do, it will make the game illegal in Germany and wargamming will not want to lose this player base.

Germany and most of the rest of Europe. And why the gently caress do people after over 2 decades of WW2 games still think putting the Nazi flag in would be at all viable or a good idea? :psyduck:

(It wasn't a good idea in Wolfenstein either)

xthetenth posted:

Hell no.

Accept no substitutes.

Replace the Prussian eagle with a crying Kaiser Wilhelm and you'd have a sick clan emblem.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

xthetenth posted:

Hell no.

Accept no substitutes.

Yeah I trolled a thread full of the miserable fucks. Apparently some people who need their history also have a strange need to establish Nazi Germany wasn't that bad and the Soviets were bad too. Who knew?

That is an awesome flag. I had never seen it before. I'm going to need a WWI era BB.

Keep trolling em. The way I see it:

Nazi = Bad
Soviets = Just as bad, if not worst
Mao's China = The worst

Then there's Canada: Stormtroopers of the British Empire :quebec: and providers of wheat. :canada:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Keksen posted:

Germany and most of the rest of Europe. And why the gently caress do people after over 2 decades of WW2 games still think putting the Nazi flag in would be at all viable or a good idea? :psyduck:

(It wasn't a good idea in Wolfenstein either)

Replace the Prussian eagle with a crying Kaiser Wilhelm and you'd have a sick clan emblem.

Doing it.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
I honestly wonder if there will be Canadian ships in the game at any point. Although most of our ships considered of nothing bigger than corvettes and destroyers a little known fact is that Canada had the 3rd largest navy in the world by the end of the war. Right behind the US and Great Britain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Royal_Canadian_Navy#Second_World_War

We actually had 2 ships bigger than destroyers, the light cruisers HMCS Uganda and HMCS Ontario.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Dalael posted:

I honestly wonder if there will be Canadian ships in the game at any point. Although most of our ships considered of nothing bigger than corvettes and destroyers a little known fact is that Canada had the 3rd largest navy in the world by the end of the war. Right behind the US and Great Britain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Royal_Canadian_Navy#Second_World_War

We actually had 2 ships bigger than destroyers, the light cruisers HMCS Uganda and HMCS Ontario.

Wouldn't be surprised to see HMCS Haida as a premium.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Ok, yeah. Just to re-iterate to all you destroyer drivers. Don't get near an atlanta with your destroyer. Keep it 11km+ away. That is the range of her guns. The turrets can track you no matter how you move. She has enough turrets and rof to keep up with any adjustments in heading you make. Just don't do it. I just watched a sims driving with a "I know how to fight a cruiser, watch me zigzag up and then devour it with a torp load" end up doing nothing and instead devouring all my shells because I wasn't sending them as a single volley.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Wouldn't be surprised to see HMCS Haida as a premium.

From there, I saw this mentioned:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORP_B%C5%82yskawica

7x 120mm guns on a destroyer that pushes 39 knots with 6x 550mm torps. :getin:

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 8, 2015

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I'm not going to lie, the German line is probably going to be fun to play. Their ships are fast and mostly have oversized guns. Bismarck has an armor scheme designed to frustrate cruisers. It's like a line full of brawlers.

Oversized guns ? How so ?

The German BC sport 11" guns, compared to the 15" of the British BC like the Renown and Repulse and the 12" of the US Alaska class. Ok there were plans to refit the Gneisenau with 6 15" guns, but that would still only bring her up to British standards.

The Bismarck will most likely be a tier 8 ship and only has 8 15" guns, compared to the heavier 16" of all other nations at that tier. North Carolina and Amagi both have bigger and more guns. The interesting thing about the Bismarck will probably be the very heavy secondary battery of 5.9" and 4.1" guns, but only if the 4.1" can fire at ships and are not exclusively AA guns.

This leaves us most likely with the H39 at tier 9 and another H class ship as tier 10, I don't expect anything above 16" for these.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

Dalael posted:

I actually do like having historically accurate flags on everything that should have them, but I am the kind of autist who freaks out about reproduction things over originals and poo poo like that. Straight up, IJN ships look wrong without a Rising Sun, not least because they still fly it to this day.

What always irked me (other than the thinly-veiled adoration most of the swastika krew exhibit) was wanting to plaster the drat things everywhere instead of just where they're appropriate, a la Call of Duty's frankly insane treatment of the hammer and sickle.

e: Not arguing for inclusion in the game by default, obviously. People have already made mods that put the Rising Sun in (which I got as soon as I found it), and I guarantee they'll do the same for the Germans.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 8, 2015

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I just unlocked the Amagi, it seems like a Nagato with worse secondaries and worse armor in exchange for 2 extra guns, does that about sum it up.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I dunno why but I found the Amagi to have quite nice gunnery, I rarely missed with it. Its other really noteworthy trait is exploding if I manage to land an 18" broadside on it at 20km or more.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

Oversized guns ? How so ?

The German BC sport 11" guns, compared to the 15" of the British BC like the Renown and Repulse and the 12" of the US Alaska class. Ok there were plans to refit the Gneisenau with 6 15" guns, but that would still only bring her up to British standards.

The Bismarck will most likely be a tier 8 ship and only has 8 15" guns, compared to the heavier 16" of all other nations at that tier. North Carolina and Amagi both have bigger and more guns. The interesting thing about the Bismarck will probably be the very heavy secondary battery of 5.9" and 4.1" guns, but only if the 4.1" can fire at ships and are not exclusively AA guns.

This leaves us most likely with the H39 at tier 9 and another H class ship as tier 10, I don't expect anything above 16" for these.

The regular cruisers and destroyers have oversized guns.

Well, I suppose we don't know where the Deustchland class will go. But if the Germans have a cruiser line at all, leaving the Deustchlands out leaves them with bad Kuma-esque light cruisers and then paper napkin heavies.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

"Friendly" Hatsuharu smokes an entire channel, then drops torps into it. Blindly, at nothing. From behind me. As I'm executing an S-turn to drop my Aoba's torps at an actual target and then reverse course away from land.

First he claims he launched them in front of me and I caught up to them, swearing up and down that the 34kt Aoba is faster than his Hatsuharu's 59kt torps. Okay.

Next game, he's on the enemy team. It's maybe 30 seconds before he notices me, and begins howling over allchat again. This time, he claims I was making an unpredictable, suicidal turn onto a beach and so there was no way he could've known. Wrong again, he launched torps as I was beginning my turn from the opposide side of the channel. I had plenty of room.

Finally, it's my fault for not paying attention and he is blameless and he will kill ANYONE who isn't paying attention. I suggested he start with himself. :shrug:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

rossmum posted:

"Friendly" Hatsuharu smokes an entire channel, then drops torps into it. Blindly, at nothing. From behind me. As I'm executing an S-turn to drop my Aoba's torps at an actual target and then reverse course away from land.

First he claims he launched them in front of me and I caught up to them, swearing up and down that the 34kt Aoba is faster than his Hatsuharu's 59kt torps. Okay.

Next game, he's on the enemy team. It's maybe 30 seconds before he notices me, and begins howling over allchat again. This time, he claims I was making an unpredictable, suicidal turn onto a beach and so there was no way he could've known. Wrong again, he launched torps as I was beginning my turn from the opposide side of the channel. I had plenty of room.

Finally, it's my fault for not paying attention and he is blameless and he will kill ANYONE who isn't paying attention. I suggested he start with himself. :shrug:

It is, you were obviously kill stealing and everything that happened was your fault.
Also, who gives a gently caress, this is beta.

At the moment my greatest enjoyment in this game is that it is not WoT and I can do whatever without messing up my "precious" stats.
Also, the Fuso with the aim bot is the singular most relaxing thing I have played for a very long time.
I thought Clevelands were supposed to be good, but I eat them for breakfast in the Fuso.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

rossmum posted:

I actually do like having historically accurate flags on everything that should have them, but I am the kind of autist who freaks out about reproduction things over originals and poo poo like that. Straight up, IJN ships look wrong without a Rising Sun, not least because they still fly it to this day.

What always irked me (other than the thinly-veiled adoration most of the swastika krew exhibit) was wanting to plaster the drat things everywhere instead of just where they're appropriate, a la Call of Duty's frankly insane treatment of the hammer and sickle.

e: Not arguing for inclusion in the game by default, obviously. People have already made mods that put the Rising Sun in (which I got as soon as I found it), and I guarantee they'll do the same for the Germans.

The way I see it, every nation on earth has, at one point killed a bunch of people in a war or another. Picking and choosing which flags is now considered evil is just cherry picking. In my mind, historical flags should be included and people's sensitivities be damned. People cry over the stupidest poo poo anyways.

If spain was a country included in the game, should we remove their flags? After all, they wiped american natives.
Should the US flag be included? How many indians were massacred by the US armies of the days?
Russia killed more people than the Germans ever did. What is up with their flags?
China killed more people than Russia and Germany combined. Why include them? (in WoT that is)

Should SPQR be included in the Total War games? How many massacres did the Romans perform? The list could go on and on and on, but I think you get my drift.

War happens, people die its the circle of life. Instead of crying about flags, people should decry wars just as loudly. In the end, my immersion is not broken as long as they don't turn my flags into my little pony crap. I don't really care either way, but think it should not be such a politically correct issue in this day and age.

E: Excuse all the mistakes, I am tired and almost see double at this point.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ultimately the whole thing is determined by the fact that non-educational depictions of the swastika are illegal in enough important jurisdictions that it makes financial sense to remove them, whereas other flags are not

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The reason most companies don't include any nazi symbology in their game is that it is illegal in Germany and they don't want to create a separate edition/different printing etc.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Cardiac posted:

It is, you were obviously kill stealing and everything that happened was your fault.
Also, who gives a gently caress, this is beta.

At the moment my greatest enjoyment in this game is that it is not WoT and I can do whatever without messing up my "precious" stats.
Also, the Fuso with the aim bot is the singular most relaxing thing I have played for a very long time.
I thought Clevelands were supposed to be good, but I eat them for breakfast in the Fuso.

The cleveland's thing is rate of fire. If left alone long enough, they are a thing. If focused early, they stop being a thing. The same goes for atlantas. And In both ships, I've been noticing that pubbies will ignore their entire surroundings to specifically kill those two ships on sight.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Dalael posted:

... a little known fact is that Canada had the 3rd largest navy in the world by the end of the war. Right behind the US and Great Britain.

When noone are sinking yours, and when the big brother is making room on the podium in the west, it sounds like a reasonable time * effort claim :v:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Ultimately the whole thing is determined by the fact that non-educational depictions of the swastika are illegal in enough important jurisdictions that it makes financial sense to remove them, whereas other flags are not

Yeah this pretty much. We could turn this into a long discussion over exceptionalism and the ramifications of trying to lock up unpleasant chapters of history in the broom closet, but this isn't D&D and I'm not Adam Curtis.

Also, that Austria-Hungary sperger on the forums is either legitimately brainwashed or realises he's full of poo poo, yet actually thinks he is going to persuade a forum full of other autists that "ships aren't that different really" and so a WWI-era dreadnought could hold up against Yamato and Montana. Yikes.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 8, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

rossmum posted:

Also, that Austria-Hungary sperger on the forums is either legitimately brainwashed or realises he's full of poo poo, yet actually thinks he is going to persuade a forum full of other autists that "ships aren't that different really" and so a WWI-era dreadnought could hold up against Yamato and Montana. Yikes.

I just like how all his tier 8s would get stomped into the ground by the tier 3s of the other nations :3:

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

rossmum posted:

People have already made mods that put the Rising Sun in

Why the hell would they remove that from the game? Isn't it still their flag?

edit: Ah, after some little research the flag apparently offends some Koreans.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 09:21 on May 8, 2015

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Funso Banjo posted:

Why the hell would they remove that from the game? Isn't it still their flag?

edit: Ah, after some little research the flag apparently offends some Koreans.

And the chinese. Did you miss out on all the horrible poo poo japan has done to korea and china?

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Mogami is wonderful :allears:

I think my first tree after release may well be IJN cruisers.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
The mogami is amazing, yeah.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

rossmum posted:

Mogami is wonderful :allears:

I think my first tree after release may well be IJN cruisers.

I'm really liking the IJN Cruiser line, and Cruisers in general even if I do get my best results in Battleships.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

rossmum posted:

I think my first tree after release may well be IJN cruisers. anything with sloped funnels

Also the Independence is such a horrible carrier, the planes are almost no improvement on the Langley. Had a Saipan sweep every single plane I had, and there was nothing I could do to stop it because he had two fighter squadrons I couldn't remotely outrun.

I was 1700m away from ramming him when he sank and the battle ended :black101:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah cruisers are my favorite too, battleships are cool but they're too big and slow for me.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Cruisers are my favorite as well. The only thing I miss in my cruiser is no repair ability like a battleship, though tier 9 and 10 will be supposedly getting it. My guess is that it will be a nerfed version much like the BB's float plane is a nerfed version of the cruiser.

And the Kaiserliche Marine flag is one of the best historical naval flags and the Nazi version ugly as sin. I do hate when people soft-pedal the Nazis in games like this, but I'm no fan of soft-pedaling the Soviets either.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Cruisers are my favorite too. I wish the patch would drop so I can get the Ibuki. I stopped playing the Myoko after unlocking all the modules since it is not clear how the tier swapping would affect experience if the patch dropped before I researched the Ibuki.

This weekend's event is a credit discount on Tier VI-VII ships and a piaster discount on premiums.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I can't say I'm liking cruisers too much. I find myself fighting battleships too much and even a few hits from them will decimate my HP. The cleavland is great when I'm fighting other cruisers or destroyers but that's about it.

Does the situation improve with the Pensacola?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

I can't say I'm liking cruisers too much. I find myself fighting battleships too much and even a few hits from them will decimate my HP. The cleavland is great when I'm fighting other cruisers or destroyers but that's about it.

You do more damage to battleships with the 8" guns, but you have even less armor so anything can decimate your HP. :shrug:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

Kind of. The Pensacola's shells fly faster so you can engage effectively at longer range, which gives you more ability to dodge.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Cruisers and Battleships haven't really clicked for me. They seem very onerous and I guess I just prefer things that turn a little faster and aim a little quicker. Perhaps I play them wrong. Destroyers are just where it's at. Plus WG is nerfing airplanes spotting torps from miles away, so now we can use them a lot better to ream from afar. I've yet to try the IJN Destroyers, what should I expect?

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Kraftwerk posted:

Engage them more closely in the Cleveland. Unless the BB is a Fuso, or better then you need to run. I can sometimes beat a Nagato by keeping her at the edge of my range and driving like a manic, but the shot gun of doom will kill you every time.

Other wise just get in close then out circle the gun traverse, or just hang out at 10km ish and keep shooting the main guns off.

BLerchg
May 8, 2015
I never played World of Tanks and only got into World of Warships because a friend recruited me, but so far it is great fun.
A while ago i read that some premium tanks in WoT get preferential matchmaking. Was this a long time ago or is this still a thing in WoT? And if it is a thing in WoT do you think that they will implement something like this in WoWs, because so far i'm not noticing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Dalael posted:

My Grandpa was serving on the HMCS Windflower when it was struck by the SS Zypenberg, so I would be ecstatic if there was some nub vs. nub team death match corvette arena some day!

I would buy the poo poo out of HMCS Haida if it was in as a premium though.