Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

JohnSherman posted:

Not to sound like zoux, but do you really think this is something new? The first season devoted a considerable amount of screen time to the love triangle between Ollie, Tommy, and Laurel. Season 2 featured Felicity pining for Oliver while he was in a relationship with Sara.
Season 1 also had Thea's stunningly bad drug-addict arc. Bad writing isn't solely a season 3 issue.

No, not really, and especially not for a CW show. I think the main thing that annoys me is that the characters in Arrow often don't really grow or change in meaningful ways. I liked the one episode where Felicity realized that Oliver was bad for her, and shot him down, but then the show completely reversed that to return her to the previous status quo. It's similar to other issues like the them of Oliver not trusting his friends and his secrets always biting him in the rear end, but no matter how many times he is shown this, he only "learns" from his mistake for one episode and then he goes back to acting the way he has always done.

Character flaws are fine, but they shouldn't be so static.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Oliver should have probably remained dead for a lot longer. I loved that episode where he fought Ra's but they brought him back immediately.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Still not as bad or frustrating as Glee. :colbert:

Run, Colton. Take your abs to greener pastures. Find some other show to be on for two seasons. There is nothing but fake-death and bad writing to be found here.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Mortanis posted:

I find it entertaining. I know they're not going to die so I find entertainment in figuring out what the actual situation is and how the plot is going to change from it. This one is likely (hopefully) better than "and then they were saved by Deus Ex Machina walking onto the screen". It was likely all part of Oliver's plan, including Malcolm's "betrayal" to Ra's, so my entertainment comes from trying to find out what the real game is.

:shrug:

No one in this thread has said they think team arrow is dead. People are critisising it as a lame "cliffhanger" because everyone knows they are not dead. It would have been a better ending to show the league thinking they are dead to the virus then showing us how they didn't die, leaving us to wonder what the outcome of THAT is going to be. Now next episode is going to start with an event we all know is going to happen (which they have revealed in all the previews anyway).

It's great that you find entertainment from that, but it baffles me how you could be baffled by people finding different things entertaining than you do.

People are critisising the show this season not to be "cool" or "goony" because it was legit good the last 2 seasons and this season is just not as good in a lot of peoples eyes. It's not been Dexter Season 8 bad and there has been some cool stuff - I'm not about to give up on it, but I hope they have listened to some of the critisism and make some changes next season.

Someone mentioned a couple of weeks ago that in the previous 2 seasons the cast were all over facebook and twitter bigging up the next episode saying how cool it is - not so much this year. Maybe this is a sign that they realise this season is not firing on all cylinders? (or maybe they are just busy).

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

imperialparadox posted:

It's similar to other issues like the them of Oliver not trusting his friends and his secrets always biting him in the rear end, but no matter how many times he is shown this, he only "learns" from his mistake for one episode and then he goes back to acting the way he has always done.

This is part of the reason I was really hoping Thea would end up as a villain when it was established that she was training with Merlyn. It would have been great for there to be a permanent reminder of how Oliver's constant lies gently caress everything up.

I still think it would have been better than what we got, and the broad strokes of the season could have remained the same. :colbert:

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Ever since someone mentioned Laurel holding the batons wrong, I can't unsee it, and my eyes get drawn to it like a magnet every time.

It'd make more sense if she did it occasionally to disarm an opponent, but not constantly.

Anyway, just nitpicking I guess. There are far worse things, like her Canary Cry having no VFX to go with it. Someone mentioned it before, but without any sort of "sound waves" VFX, it just looks goofy.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Mr Beens posted:

People are critisising the show this season not to be "cool" or "goony" because it was legit good the last 2 seasons and this season is just not as good in a lot of peoples eyes. It's not been Dexter Season 8 bad and there has been some cool stuff - I'm not about to give up on it, but I hope they have listened to some of the critisism and make some changes next season.

Yeah, I still look forward to watching this show, but Season 3 has been the worst season by far. At this point I'm just ready for it to be over, and hoping that Season 4 recovers and the writers learn from their mistakes and get some new tricks.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Oliver's loving dumb brainwashing is the dumbest drat thing ever. if Rhas gave oliver a chance to actually lead the assassins and see how difficult the job is, I could see this part of the season working.

Instead, Oliver is brainwashed (but not really!) over the course of a montage. And then a few days later Rhas actually thinks that Oliver will let him destroy starling?

How/What/Why? That makes Rhas into the dumbest drat villain ever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

Ever since someone mentioned Laurel holding the batons wrong, I can't unsee it, and my eyes get drawn to it like a magnet every time.

It'd make more sense if she did it occasionally to disarm an opponent, but not constantly.

Anyway, just nitpicking I guess. There are far worse things, like her Canary Cry having no VFX to go with it. Someone mentioned it before, but without any sort of "sound waves" VFX, it just looks goofy.

They probably hurt more that way.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's cool that Barry is going to show up, but it looks like he isn't going to stick around for very long

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style
That whole scene with the Atom... That was the first Ironman movie with the jets right. My wife was watching it with me and shouted it out. She was like, watch he's going to be hanging on the bottom of the jet at some point. He didn't of course but yeah the more I looked at it the more that was pretty much, "The Atom is IRONMAN!"

I enjoyed the episode though, but due to cracking a joke about how Katana cleaned the blood from Akio's mouth and he spit out a blood trail that looked exactly like it right after, I realized none of team Arrow was spitting out blood. If it weren't for me making light of that scene I probably wouldn't have noticed.

Was it me or did the Maseo v Katana fight feel like it was out of place. I didn't really feel a tension or anything building towards it. I kind of felt like they should have shown Akio's death first. I don't know, it just felt a little backwards to me, not that we didn't know how Hong Kong would end up for that family.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
It seemed like Maseo's mask only existed to make Katana's look less poo poo.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Arthur Bowlsworth posted:

It seemed like Maseo's mask only existed to make Katana's look less poo poo.

It failed.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
CW officially picked up Legends of Tomorrow. Short synopsis of the series included and it sounds dope

http://comicbook.com/2015/05/06/arrow-the-flash-spinoff-legends-of-tomorrow-to-debut-on-the-cw-i/

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Oh poo poo Rory's in it? MUST WATCH TEE VEE

Synopsis sounds pretty good, I'm officially hype

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Bad Moon posted:

CW officially picked up Legends of Tomorrow. Short synopsis of the series included and it sounds dope

http://comicbook.com/2015/05/06/arrow-the-flash-spinoff-legends-of-tomorrow-to-debut-on-the-cw-i/

How could Caity Lotz and Brandon Routh be on it? He invented his suit after she died on Arrow?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

How could Caity Lotz and Brandon Routh be on it? He invented his suit after she died on Arrow?

time-travelling rogue...

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

zoux posted:

time-travelling rogue...

I'll admit I didn't read that. not what I expected.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Sounds real dumb, will probably be awesome. As a trade off, Flash Season 2 will be super lazy and underwritten. Arrow Season 4 will just be Ollie getting dunk and narrating his flashbacks to anyone who will listen, since by that point they probably won't have the budget to actually film them. Arrow Season 5 will be delayed for a year because everyone responsible for making it will completely forget that it was even supposed to be on air.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Season 5 will just be timelapse photography of Stephen Amell's vineyard growing and being harvested, with him in a chair off to the side heavily sighing every few minutes as narration.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Drifter posted:

Season 5 will just be timelapse photography of Stephen Amell's vineyard growing and being harvested, with him in a chair off to the side heavily sighing every few minutes as narration.

we will all laud it as revolutionary TV

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I will defend it against all enemies.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Soothing Vapors posted:

Oh poo poo Rory's in it? MUST WATCH TEE VEE

I'm going to start watching it because Rory is the best. I hope to keep watching it because its good. CW take note, Arthur Darvill won't sway everyone.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
So, how much is it costing them to keep flying back and forth between Not Canada and the The Non-Specific Middle East? How many weeks pass between scenes? Does the League get on commercial flights? Do they have to fight an entire airport every time like when Nyssa first went to Starling?

And sure, Laurel can fight multiple League dudes now. Internal logic be damned. Nothing matters anymore apparently!

Also did Ray just kill a guy for the first time? He seemed surprisingly okay with that. Is it part of his character that he's a sociopath?

The mask is silly but Katana's costume is legit great and Maseo looks cool (without his also weird mask) and the sword fight in the sunny plane was super pretty. Although I expect Lazarus pits and Maseo's allegiances and goals never really made much sense, and there wasn't much of a fight - that was still probably the most emotional and iconic moment in the season.

Akio's death sure was dragged out for a plot point we knew was going to happen months ago.

OH NO OLIVER IS GETTING MARRIED?! beat was real dumb and some full on soap opera bullshit. The attempted wedding stabbing was hilarious tho'.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Seems sort of like... the League really needs to update it's traditions a bit. People don't come from little fishing villages any more. You don't just wipe starling city off the map if you kill a bunch of people in it silly, we have google maps, lines were drawn. Some people will be on vacation that week too but it's probably ok if they miss a few.
Hah. I don't think there are any traditions, I reckon Ra's is making it up as he goes along. "I conveniently won't torture you to death because of uhh a wedding tradition. But I guess I'm going to kill you anyway later because no one is consistent about anything here - it's tradition."

Basebf555 posted:

Kinda lame that they were alone and speaking English to each other.
I know Tatsu is Japanese, but was Maseo? His name kinda sounds it and he kinda looks it (is that racist?) but I assumed the character was from Hong Kong.

If so, maybe their common language was English?

[EDIT: literally called Yamashiro. Never mind. Yeah, that was dumb.]

Longbaugh01 posted:

What way is she holding it/supposed to hold it?

Also I think part of the problem is they don't sell the Canary Cry much with sound or with acting, or camera shake or anything. Like someone said, it used to shatter glass and seem to have some actual destructive power. Now it's one cut to everyone just sort of falling down, and one cut to Katie Cassidy unhinging her jaw.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

VagueRant posted:

Also I think part of the problem is they don't sell the Canary Cry much with sound or with acting, or camera shake or anything. Like someone said, it used to shatter glass and seem to have some actual destructive power. Now it's one cut to everyone just sort of falling down, and one cut to Katie Cassidy unhinging her jaw.

Yeah the snarling vampire look isn't great.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

:eyepop:

loving Called It! :boom:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I always appreciate Diggle gunning down ninjas.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

VagueRant posted:

And sure, Laurel can fight multiple League dudes now. Internal logic be damned. Nothing matters anymore apparently!

Laurel's been training with Nyssa, she's leveled up a bit.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I like how they spent the entire freaking season having Laurel train with different people and slowly get better and the instant she's shown as even a semi-competent fighter people immediately freak out about it.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I heard you all the other times but she only started sparring at all maybe less than a year ago, and she's been training with Nyssa for what? Maybe less than a month depending on Flash tie-over points? And unlike Ollie and his island training, she has a day job too.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

VagueRant posted:

I heard you all the other times but she only started sparring at all maybe less than a year ago, and she's been training with Nyssa for what? Maybe less than a month depending on Flash tie-over points? And unlike Ollie and his island training, she has a day job too.

Ollie only had days of training, too, as far as we could tell. How long was he slapping water for?

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Bad Moon posted:

Please let there be more Captain Ashurang

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just got around to watching. A better episode then most, lately...

I feel like this show falls into that "I had to lie to/trick you all to do this important thing. But now you/they don't trust me and hate me!" rut really often.

Also maybe just because I feel like Merlyn should be more badass and less sniveling opportunistic lackey, I am disliking that he keeps doing last minute save-my-rear end double-crosses. He may be a morally corrupt psycho, but I kind of wish he had a code.

I'm going to laugh if the finale is just that EVERYONE is in on the rise except for Merlyn and Ras.

[Edit] Maseo's mask looked like he was wearing a Brioche load on his face.

Tatsu's mask wasn't terrible but I laughed that she did special 2-tone artistic eyelid makeup.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 8, 2015

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
So wait, does Merlin have a brand of a jaunty magician somewhere on his back?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh yeah: Why did Maseo even save Oliver in the first place? I thought it was because he was in on the plan too, and would double cross R'as with Oliver. But this episode we saw that he really was that far gone, since he was willing to try and kill his wife. So why save him? Also why did Katana help back then? God dammit everything keeps going back to Oliver dying, they really handled that as absolutely terrible as possible. Such a great buildup and 'death' scene with him being thrown off the cliff.

So what can happen at the end of the season? He fixes everything, team Arrow realizes Oliver really was a good guy all along and everyone makes up at the end of the episode? I hope they turn on Oliver and cut him out of the team next season. Leaving him to do his own thing and pop up to save the team when they get in over their heads, only to disappear afterwards. After they brought him back to life in a single episode there is zero chance of any lasting repercussions on this show any more:( They will be clinking glasses by the end of the finale.

I keep picturing Oliver explaining his plan to Merlyn like Simon Pegg does in The Worlds End.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 8, 2015

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I hope they turn on Oliver and cut him out of the team next season. Leaving him to do his own thing and pop up to save the team when they get in over their heads, only to disappear afterwards.

So, the show follows Team Arrow (now including Thea as Speedy) doing Superhero Hijinx, with Oliver occasionally popping in mid fight, declaring that someone has failed the city, arrowing a couple dudes, and grappling arrowing away? Kinda like a psycho Tuxedo Mask?

Sounds good. Maybe have him start getting more and more silverage as time goes on, until eventually he just shows up in the Robin Hood style costume. No explanation.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

"Everyone stops trusting Oliver" was done more than once this season, you know. It lasted for about one episode before everyone trusted Oliver again despite saying that things had changed. Which they hadn't.

I fully expect this to go the exact same way. By the start of the next season everyone will have forgotten this happened, and the only proof of these events will be Thea replacing Roy. And, knowing how Roy got treated, that means Thea will do nothing and be forgotten by the writers most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
"Oliver, how did we get pineapple on this pizza? WE TRUSTED YOU!"

• Locked thread