Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Deadpool posted:

The only real question was whether it fit the CBS brand because they rarely go outside of their comfort zone of procedural law, medical, and cop dramas.

"It's like CSI, except the lead sometimes shoots lasers from her eyes."

I'm pretty much expecting a 2010s spin on Lois & Clark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Scyantific posted:

The "Eiling knows about Barry" bit was covered in the "Fallout" episode when Eiling was after Firestorm.

If that's the one where he reveals to Wells, then yeah, but someone was saying that Barry, or Cisco, or Caitlin knew that Eiling knew.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Deadpool posted:

The only real question was whether it fit the CBS brand because they rarely go outside of their comfort zone of procedural law, medical, and cop dramas.

I am pretty sure this will be Lois & Clark 2015, so that would fit right into that schema.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I love how the Arrow preview for next week doesn't even try to pretend that everyone actually died. Like, at least when Oliver got run through with a drat sword in the mid-season finale, they didn't immediately have a stinger of "Nah he'll be fine".

Also while I like the whole concept of Arrow and Flash kind of having a shared universe, I love how, since Flash airs a day before Arrow, apparently next week is going to be Tuesday "I'm here to help you Barry oh I guess I'm in a murder guild?" followed by "Oliver is evil someone call Barry now"

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

TwoPair posted:

I love how the Arrow preview for next week doesn't even try to pretend that everyone actually died. Like, at least when Oliver got run through with a drat sword in the mid-season finale, they didn't immediately have a stinger of "Nah he'll be fine".

Hey, people were harping on how Flash is better because it embraces the origins as Comic series more. Apparently Arrow said "we can too!" and went all out with fake deaths, deaths that can be cured minutes later and long-lost twins. Someone should have specified "good parts of comics" sometime.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Deadpool posted:

They're probably hoping to synergize their success with The Big Bang Theory's nerd culture and the fact that superheros are hot in general, and especially on TV of late. It's a bit of a gamble, but despite holding the top spot in the ratings year after year, I suspect CBS wants a younger demo so this seems like the route to it.

Who knows if it'll work, but I can see the logic of why they're trying.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Ladies and Gentlemen: Legends of Tomorrow

Official synopsis posted:

When heroes alone are not enough ... the world needs legends. Having seen the future, one he will desperately try to prevent from happening, time-traveling rogue Rip Hunter is tasked with assembling a disparate group of both heroes and villains to confront an unstoppable threat — one in which not only is the planet at stake, but all of time itself. Can this ragtag team defeat an immortal threat unlike anything they have ever known?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is this meant to be a finite story, or is it going to be an ongoing series?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think it's a mini series. Like 13 episodes and out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Astro Nut posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen: Legends of Tomorrow

Ah so time travel is how they're gonna get Caity Lotz.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

zoux posted:

Ah so time travel is how they're gonna get Caity Lotz.

Also, why Victor Garber w/o Robbie Amell.

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 7, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm kind of ashamed that I didn't immediately assume time travel when I heard Caity was going to be on the show, it's like I've never even read a comic book before :eng99:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The entire timeline is in danger, we need your help normal human woman with a stick.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Has Booster Gold been cast yet? And if not, why not?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

The entire timeline is in danger, we need your help normal human woman with a stick.

Hey by the way, do you have any protection against arrows?

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Madkal posted:

Because they're using his mentor his son Rip Hunter instead.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Madkal posted:

Because they're using a better character.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Both Agent Carter and AoS got renewed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Both Agent Carter and AoS got renewed.

AoS was a shoe-in, considering they're developing another spin-off for Mockingbird. Carter I'm kinda surprised by, unless they feel being able to have new content for the whole season paid off.

EDIT: Also, unrelated, but Galavant got picked up for a second season? Really?!

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 8, 2015

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Carter makes sense considering there is some more Carter stuff coming up in the movies. I am happy for more Jarvis on my TV since Peggy and Jarvis were freaking amazing. I just hope they can swing a better paced story this time around. Also, I guess Stark will be in the show even less since he's cast on another show now?

AoS will pretty similarly almost be completely done for the season by the time Civil War happens, so despite being a status quo changing story, it might barely effect the show at all again. Interestingly enough, despite the show seemingly setting up Civil War with its indexing, and the flare up with the Inhumans, it would seem from the synopsis of the film that the catalyst is something completely different and not "registration" based at all.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Carter's rating were probably still better then re-runs. We'll probably get a lot less Carter v The Glass Ceiling this time around though so if that was your groove prepare for a bummer.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

SirDan3k posted:

Carter's rating were probably still better then re-runs. We'll probably get a lot less Carter v The Glass Ceiling this time around though so if that was your groove prepare for a bummer.

I just want her to be a bad rear end spy. We saw plenty of glimpses. I want the show to just go all out next season. Have fun with it dammit. A period piece spy show. It's gold! GOLD!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gaz-L posted:

AoS was a shoe-in, considering they're developing another spin-off for Mockingbird. Carter I'm kinda surprised by, unless they feel being able to have new content for the whole season paid off.
The Mockingbird spin-off might not be happening though.

SirDan3k posted:

Carter's rating were probably still better then re-runs.
More expensive too.

Carter was a better show than AoS, unless the recent episode and finale change things.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I don't watch AoS, but from what I've gathered itt, it relies heavily on the movies as far as plotlines. Like, wasn't seeing Winter Soldier critical to understanding what was going on, or something? (I have not seen many Marvel movies, either, just the first Iron Man and Avengers.)

Is the reverse true? Do I need to have been watching AoS to enjoy Avengers 2? I wouldn't think so, that would be alienating a heckuva lot of movie-goers (and their money), but thought I'd ask.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
None of that is true really. You definitely don't have to watch the show to enjoy the movies as the movies are basically their own thing. You "have" to watch Winter Soldier before a certain AoS episode because a Big Event happens so if you watch the show first you'll have it spoiled for you since said event is the central plot point of the movie.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I don't watch AoS, but from what I've gathered itt, it relies heavily on the movies as far as plotlines. Like, wasn't seeing Winter Soldier critical to understanding what was going on, or something? (I have not seen many Marvel movies, either, just the first Iron Man and Avengers.)

Is the reverse true? Do I need to have been watching AoS to enjoy Avengers 2? I wouldn't think so, that would be alienating a heckuva lot of movie-goers (and their money), but thought I'd ask.

It came up earlier but Whedon himself said he considered the TV stuff completely separate to any film stuff he did. You do not need to watch Agents of SHIELD.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Ah, gotcha. I admittedly skim the posts itt about AoS since I don't watch it (but might, but I don't want to spoil myself on too much). Thanks for the replies!

On that note: if I was to dip my toes into Marvel tv, which would y'all recommend first: AoS or Agent Carter? My 67 year old dad who knows nothing about comics digs Agent Carter, so I'm guessing that's pretty accessible to someone like me who's pretty unfamiliar with the Marvel universe. FWIW I thought Daredevil was absolutely amazing; I enjoy Flash and Arrow immensely; like Gotham for its sheer wonkiness; and thought Powers was okay, if way off-tone from the one Powers gn I had read.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The only thing you need to have seen before watching Agent Carter is the first Captain America movie. Other than that its stand alone.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Mockingbird spin-off might not be happening though.

This is almost confirmed (not quite fully). I guess they received enough backlash about taking the two strongest characters away from AoS that they thought better of it.
http://deadline.com/2015/05/marvel-agents-of-shield-spinoff-dead-abc-1201422761/

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

It came up earlier but Whedon himself said he considered the TV stuff completely separate to any film stuff he did. You do not need to watch Agents of SHIELD.

If you haven't seen SHIELD, AoU just has some stuff unexplained that doesn't need to be explained anyway.

If you have, there's just some nice little continuity because you know Coulson has been working in the background.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Waterhaul posted:

But you should. End of Season one and Season two have been fantastic.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Season 1 is a lot less horrible without the long several week gaps. It is still overall uninspiring in the first half, but I never found it bad, just bland. It starts picking up 10 or so episodes in and then has a drastic jump up in quality in episode 16. And as someone who never quit watching it, it is interesting to see all the things that are hinted at in the first 15 or so episodes. May's backstory is hinted at several times. Coulson's cellist is talked about twice. The alien writing appears in episode four. Hell, even seeing Ward do anything pre-episode 16 is interesting just because of what he does later.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

notthegoatseguy posted:

Coulson's cellist is talked about twice.

That was set up in the Avengers movie.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This last episode was outstanding. What the show really lacked in season 1 was any sort of emotional connection to anything, in addition to having horrible pacing. Now everything is going at a 100 miles an hour and almost every character is awesome; this season has actually been one of the smoothest 20+ hour-long episode seasons I've seen in a very long time. There was only one episode I thought was kinda bad (the one with the lovely gang of powered people), but that one still had Kyle McLaughlin hamming it up like a motherfucker.

The way this episode ended, it just as easily could have been a season finale, but instead it's a helluva setup for a two-parter. I'm actually pretty excited to see where they leave it off. It's obviously never going to have any effect on the films, but they've been handling the reverse communication pretty well. It also just doesn't look so cheap anymore, especially since they've been ramping up their fight choreography - there was a killer single shot scene in this episode featuring Skye, and yeah those are perhaps getting to be a bit much what with everyone doing them these days, but it was a sterling example of how far the show has come. A year ago no one would have said that Chloe Bennett rules but guess what she loving does.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

RevKrule posted:

This is almost confirmed (not quite fully). I guess they received enough backlash about taking the two strongest characters away from AoS that they thought better of it.
http://deadline.com/2015/05/marvel-agents-of-shield-spinoff-dead-abc-1201422761/

Is there actually anything else besides just this one article saying "I hear..." and nothing else? I'm not saying it's wrong, but every other article that comes up just links back to the Deadline piece or says "Deadline is reporting". Seems weird that seemingly just this one lady has some source that would know if the spin-off is cancelled.

\/\/ Fair enough I suppose.

VDay fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 8, 2015

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

VDay posted:

Is there actually anything else besides just this one article saying "I hear..." and nothing else? I'm not saying it's wrong, but every other article that comes up just links back to the Deadline piece or says "Deadline is reporting". Seems weird that seemingly just this one lady has some source that would know if the spin-off is cancelled.

Deadline are right 9.5 times out of 10 and are legitimate Hollywood insiders with the reputation to post things. It's not like badasssuperherocomicbookbatmanmarvelcrushfix.com posting a dumb list.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RIP Constantine

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Well, they're trying to see if another network will pick it up...

Chances of it joining the CW to edge it closer to being the DCTV Channel (or perhaps 'Channel 52')?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Astro Nut posted:

Well, they're trying to see if another network will pick it up...

Chances of it joining the CW to edge it closer to being the DCTV Channel (or perhaps 'Channel 52')?

Super loving low, It had lower numbers than Arrow or Flash with a huge lead-in, and probably costs more than both those shows combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Yeah, Constantine's problems wasn't the ratings themselves, it was the ratings not matching the budget. Showrunner said he had a meeting with the NBC heads to work out a deal that kept it on the air, and it seems unlikely that CW's gonna offer a bigger budget than they were willing to.