Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Elukka posted:

Geralt wearing plate armor is kinda weird.

I noticed this as well. :stare:

I guess there is some role playing value to being the white knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Do we know about the controls yet?

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
Holy gently caress that trailer.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

CottonWolf posted:

Alchemy looks like great fun. Signs seem to look like they'll only be really useful if you spec that way. Axii mind control is on the second level of the skill tree for example.

Yeah but even if you specialize on signs, they don't sound as interesting as the alchemy or even the sword tree.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
One thing I noticed with that GOG Q&A stream is that armor affects stamina (the new vigor) regeneration. Stamina regenerates quickly in light armor, slowly in heavy armor. So the skill that increases sign intensity and stamina regen when you wear medium armor isn't limiting Sign-focused builds to that one armor type- rather, it's offsetting some of the decreased regen speed and giving you extra power to make up for it. Going Signs with light armor is still an option if you want to be all zippy.

CottonWolf posted:

Alchemy looks like great fun. Signs seem to look like they'll only be really useful if you spec that way. Axii mind control is on the second level of the skill tree for example.

From what I've seen, signs have been buffed at the base level to the point that non-Sign builds will actually get good use out of them. Not constant use, but Aard can actually push back an entire group of enemies, Aard/Igni are cone attacks, Axii is an instant stun, etc..., which are all very good compared to Witcher 2, where signs were pretty anemic without points invested.

And for people who go Combat, there are several good ways to boost signs without needing to specialize in them. There's a Combat skill that lets you cast Signs with adrenaline points, so you'll be able to use them regularly (even if you're wearing heavy armor) just by hitting things, and there's a general skill that makes adrenaline points also boost the strength of signs. Every combat skill boosts Adrenaline generation, so either of those skills synergizes well.

...I totally didn't pause the Q&A video fifty times to look at skill descriptions. Why would I do that?

Noirex
May 30, 2006

:stare: One week and 5 days more to go.

Also, that Ciri gameplay looks kickass.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Holy poo poo, the subtle effects on the Aard casting at ~1:09 look so loving cool.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I heard a Wilhelm Scream :dance:

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Captain Oblivious posted:

Don't agree with that at all. Just because "modern 21st century human rights and society" isn't an option doesn't mean there isn't a good choice. What's great about the Witcher 2 isn't that every ending is some flavor of EVERYTHING SUCKS FOR EVERYONE FOREVER and to take that from the endings is a pretty big misread. It's that you do make a difference for somebody but you can't change the fundamentals of society. Good choices are relative.

I meant more that people say "well, they aren't terrorist groups because they aren't in modern day earth." Or the secret police. Or some other equally shady thing. I just mean none of that is very subtle at all. The game is very direct about everyone being a scumbag. Except Zoltan, he's awesome.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Spite posted:

I meant more that people say "well, they aren't terrorist groups because they aren't in modern day earth." Or the secret police. Or some other equally shady thing. I just mean none of that is very subtle at all. The game is very direct about everyone being a scumbag. Except Zoltan, he's awesome.

The problem with calling them "terorrists" is implying that their actions are abnormal in the context of the societies they live in/amongst. It doesn't just fail to meaningfully describe something, it's actively misleading.

It's like calling the chevauchée of the Hundred Years War "acts of terror", or Prince Edward a terrorist. It's more of an emotional condemnation than a useful description.

In other news it seems a bit odd that the PC minimum requirements are so high for a game that runs on the 360 and PS4. Oh well. Hopefully the conversation to set what happened in TW2/1 is reasonably effective if I play it on PS4.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Ciri can Omnislash, woop

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I look forward to playing this game for 500 hours.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

That trailer... :flashfap:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

cheesetriangles posted:

I look forward to playing this game for 500 hours.

At some point you'll have to leave the tutorial area.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I can't wait for Witcher 4 where you play as Ciri and she bones all the dudes and finally you have equality in gaming.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Doing that would be equality for the hetero crowd but the LGBT still will be left out in the cold.

I bet Cyberpunk 2077 will allow you to bang any and everyone.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Xaurips are reptilian humanoids about the size of orlans.
The Witcher 1 and 2 are 85% off on steam right now!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Jimbot posted:

Doing that would be equality for the hetero crowd but the LGBT still will be left out in the cold.

In Catholic Poland there is only traditional morality. Repent ye sinners, repent!

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Spite posted:

I think "everyone is a scumbag" is also a bit overly simplistic. Very few of them are scumbags 100% of the time. Hell, even Henselt, absolute prick that he is, makes a good case on some things when you confront him in Vergen. Except for y'know, the part where he's a rapist.

The problem with calling them "terorrists" is implying that their actions are abnormal in the context of the societies they live in/amongst. It doesn't just fail to meaningfully describe something, it's actively misleading.

I think "terrorists" is a useful descriptor when used as "person/organization that makes deliberate direct assaults on specifically civilian targets for the purpose of inspiring fear in the enemy's general population" rather than "guy fighting a war that I don't approve of". But hardly anyone seems to use it that way these days. Of course by the latter definition, both Roche and Iorveth likely qualify as terrorists. And yes, our whole concept of civilian vs. combatant is somewhat different than the characters in the game or the participants in the Hundred Years War, but we still have it.

cheesetriangles posted:

I can't wait for Witcher 4 where you play as Ciri and she bones all the dudes and finally you have equality in gaming.
Gonna play that game.

Jimbot posted:

It's not unlikely that Ciri would bone both. Although that just takes care of the "B" part of the acronym.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

My applicable reaction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfL4OLNgOok&feature=youtu.be&t=102

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jimbot posted:

Ciri would probably bang all of the men and all of the ladies so it's ok

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

People will still find a reason to be mad.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

People will always find a reason to be mad

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

People, regardless of orientation, will always find something to be butthurt about, no matter how petty and unimportant the subject.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

cheesetriangles posted:

Yeah but I'd be happy and that's pretty much all I care about when I play videogames.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm very upset about no Geralt dong. People will always find a reason to be mad.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm not personally upset by it, but I am willing to be upset on behalf of all gamers that wanted to see Geralt's albino dong.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Sharmat posted:

I'm not personally upset by it, but I am willing to be upset on behalf of all gaymers that wanted to see Geralt's albino dong.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I thank you for being considerate.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Don't worry, all this poo poo will be un-ironically said when the game comes out because of the "problematic" content.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
The Witcher Nexus will get you your Geralt dong mods soon enough for W3. They got your back.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm personally upset about no Geraltdong :(.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I think the sex in this one is handled much much better than in the previous games. People will still get upset, because it's the internet, but it's no big.

And honestly I learn a lot when people get butthurt on the internet, so even if 99% of it is chaff 1% of it makes us more considerate people, so whatevs.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
They had to leave out the G-dong because you can only carry 300 lbs in your inventory, and with it you'd've been down to 185 right off the bat.

It was for gameplay design reasons. I think for the best.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I still don't really see why the sex in the second game was made such a big deal of anyway.

It was pretty stupid in the first one though for the most part. The nurses wanting a threesome with Geralt in the middle of a burning city block was pretty hilarious.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Drifter posted:

They had to leave out the G-dong because you can only carry 300 lbs in your inventory, and with it you'd've been down to 185 right off the bat.

It was for gameplay design reasons. I think for the best.

Just another reason to remove the inventory weight limit

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Is there any other pros for playing on Dark difficulty other than the outrageously expensive armors and weapons? Seriously, I might go through the trouble of just looking for a trainer that gives infinite cash rather than grind it out. I thought I had read a year or so ago that the higher difficulties dropped more/better mutagens, but I can't find any info that backs that up. I wish I could throw things quicker as well.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It's harder.

That's pretty much it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

It's like calling the chevauchée of the Hundred Years War "acts of terror", or Prince Edward a terrorist. It's more of an emotional condemnation than a useful description.

I don't remember those from either game or the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dark Mode wasn't that much harder. You just had to dodge a lot more and use all your tools in your arsenal in the beginning. After you get your first set of Dark armor you could slack off a lot more.

• Locked thread