Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Definitely the conviction tower arc. That whole thing is the peak of Berserk in terms of writing and art, to me.

Favorite individual scene is either the fight with the goatman or the transformed torturer guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

I'm only on chapter 275 but my favourite scene so far is

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Probably the Guts and Griffith fight in the snow. Peak Guts.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Finally watched the 3 movies.

The story structure just feels really weird because they saved like 95% of the OMG-WTF-GRIFFITH-NO! and even the backstory for the Eclipse. The first two movies were almost nothing but weirdly gory dark fantasy and felt lacking for it.

Also the CGI animation never felt right in any of the three. They all bend like GI Joes from the hips only due to fused spines and it hurt my brain.

Still enjoyed seeing it all and would rewatch, but this has got to be a fans only series.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

I like Serpico's cliff fight with Guts. "oh, it's one of the only smart people in the entire world."

ditto

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
I liked farnese in the tower of conviction arc where she was a self hating psycho who got horny from ppl being burned alive. It would have been cool if shed kept that personality when she joined the party instead of becoming moe

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

GulagDolls posted:

I like Serpico's cliff fight with Guts. "oh, it's one of the only smart people in the entire world."

When was that again

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

halleys comet posted:

I liked farnese in the tower of conviction arc where she was a self hating psycho who got horny from ppl being burned alive. It would have been cool if shed kept that personality when she joined the party instead of becoming moe

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

When was that again

volume 19, after guts slays the goatman

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I will never stop loving the beginning of that fight, Serpico just standing all proud confronting Guts and Guts just whips out his crossbow and starts firing, prompting Serpico to yell "Oh poo poo!" and dive out of the way.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

both of serpico's fights are great and pretty much some of the best scenes in the dang series

the berserker armor and everything after really cut that kinda stuff from the series

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I really liked when the got to the city in volume 28 and Guts was only a few city blocks away from people who thought he was dead but knew all the legends of the Band of the Falcon, while his current crew is pretty clueless. It was also nice to see the character relax back in human civilization after the wilds of fighting monsters out in the wilderness all the time.

At the moment I'm pretty much resigned that Berserk will never finish. I read about Miura's work schedule before, and he did 16 hour days for most of the last 20 years to get the series to where it currently is. I think he's probably burnt out. Or maybe he's just having a mid-life crisis or is getting married or something and will come back to the comic after a bit. I can always hope.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I dunno, if he were burnt out I'd think he'd want to quickly wrap it up and start something new and more interesting instead of farting around for so long.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
serpico's fights are definitely great but berserk got way way worse in general when guts got together with the adventuring party, serpico included

I don't care about little girl magician and monkey boy or elemental magic or whatever

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
Looking back i'd have to say my favorite arc was the Lost Children arc or as I like to refer to it as "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSS"!

A particular moment that always sticks with me as it always cracks me up is when the gang gets their elemental weapons and whoever is talking about respecting the elements and it cuts to Isidro excitedly saying something like "YAY! GO BURNY THINGS!

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Just read through this over the past 3 days for the first time. It's the first manga I've ever read and I only started because I heard about how it influenced Demon's/Dark Souls/Bloodborne and wanted to see the inspiration. It's probably one of my favorite stories now. I was really worried going in to that I would be turned off because I had heard about the hyper violence and rape and with the latter I was really afraid it would be used to titillate, but was thankful to see that it hasn't been played that way at all.

I also worried that because it's been going on for over 2 decades now that the author might have just been phoning it in towards the end but the pacing is consistent and really good throughout the whole thing. Waiting for new material for months has got to suck and I'm sure it makes the pacing feel way worse, but when reading the story through all at once it felt very tight. Basically just color me shocked that I actually really enjoyed this and am gonna be reading it as it comes out from now on. Never been a fan of anime generally and have never actually read through a manga before now but I'm glad I read this one cause it's great and would encourage anyone to give it a try because again, it's great. Only downside is I've managed to GRRM myself yet again by getting into another as yet unfinished fantasy series that has no end in sight.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Lepecard posted:

Looking back i'd have to say my favorite arc was the Lost Children arc or as I like to refer to it as "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSS"!

A particular moment that always sticks with me as it always cracks me up is when the gang gets their elemental weapons and whoever is talking about respecting the elements and it cuts to Isidro excitedly saying something like "YAY! GO BURNY THINGS!

My favorite is when he's been set on fire or whatever towards the end of that arc, and his solution is to slice open the cocoons of half-transformed children and drench himself with the goo inside.

As he turns about with a small intestine firmly clenched between a wicked grin, I think moth girl finally realized she wasn't the biggest monster in the woods any more. :black101:

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

apropos to nothing posted:

Just read through this over the past 3 days for the first time. It's the first manga I've ever read and I only started because I heard about how it influenced Demon's/Dark Souls/Bloodborne and wanted to see the inspiration. It's probably one of my favorite stories now. I was really worried going in to that I would be turned off because I had heard about the hyper violence and rape and with the latter I was really afraid it would be used to titillate, but was thankful to see that it hasn't been played that way at all.

I also worried that because it's been going on for over 2 decades now that the author might have just been phoning it in towards the end but the pacing is consistent and really good throughout the whole thing. Waiting for new material for months has got to suck and I'm sure it makes the pacing feel way worse, but when reading the story through all at once it felt very tight. Basically just color me shocked that I actually really enjoyed this and am gonna be reading it as it comes out from now on. Never been a fan of anime generally and have never actually read through a manga before now but I'm glad I read this one cause it's great and would encourage anyone to give it a try because again, it's great. Only downside is I've managed to GRRM myself yet again by getting into another as yet unfinished fantasy series that has no end in sight.

Ahaahaha, you poor bastard.

I don't think I've ever read the entire series start to current, I've always read it in chunks. I started reading this around 2001 with printed out translation scripts and Japanese copies I picked up at a Japanese book store, back before ISP services and hosting offered enough bandwidth to make scanlations viable. I think I had the first few volumes then didn't read the rest until a few years later. And even those gaps feel like less time between current chapters, drat it.

Krampus Grewcock fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 7, 2015

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Welcome to the pain train. Come and sit, it's going to be a while.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD94dVu8lqQ

It's going to really suck when Miura dies and nothing is resolved.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
3 days? How the gently caress did you manage to read so many comics in 3 days? Especially considering what an emotional rollercoaster this one can be.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

notZaar posted:

3 days? How the gently caress did you manage to read so many comics in 3 days? Especially considering what an emotional rollercoaster this one can be.

? Some people read quickly. Why that's such a shock to you is the true mystery.

And frankly, three days to read all of Berserk isn't that fast. Learn to read faster? :shrug:

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Krampus Grewcock posted:

Ahaahaha, you poor bastard.

I don't think I've ever read the entire series start to current, I've always read it in chunks. I started reading this around 2001 with printed out translation scripts and Japanese copies I picked up at a Japanese book store, back before ISP services and hosting offered enough bandwidth to make scanlations viable. I think I had the first few volumes then didn't read the rest until a few years later. And even those gaps feel like less time between current chapters, drat it.

Yeah I mean the pacing feels good reading it all at once which is a testament I think to the fact that the author knows where the story is going which is great. However, I saw there was like a break of a year at one point and I can imagine reading something like this with gaps that long can make the pacing feel way worse than it would if it's part of a finished and complete story.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

pnumoman posted:

And frankly, three days to read all of Berserk isn't that fast. Learn to read faster? :shrug:

That'd still require too much free time and besides, as notZaar said, there's plenty of emotional moments where one would normally stop for a while to let things sink.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

pnumoman posted:

its a comic book. its not an issue of 'reading speed'

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Petiso posted:

That'd still require too much free time and besides, as notZaar said, there's plenty of emotional moments where one would normally stop for a while to let things sink.

Thanks for being another idiot making assumptions over the internet. You don't know the person's schedule, how fast they read, how they take in emotional moments... and when I read emotional stuff, I don't loving stop for an hour to take it in, especially when I'm really into a series and there are many more chapters to read.

Being incredulous about how fast people read something is dumb as gently caress. "Too much free time" :wtc:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

why are you being such an rear end in a top hat.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

GulagDolls posted:

why are you being such an rear end in a top hat.

Because people are being incredulous about something incredibly trivial, simply because they don't understand they're making assumptions. And dumb assumptions at that.

Stop being such a pussy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

everyone remember to take your meds if you need them

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
As a normal and well adjusted human, I'm happy to field any questions about my reading speed, work schedule, and time needed to digest emotionally heavy content in literature to the posters of the Berserk thread on the something awful dot com forums so please ask away

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I'm going to sacrifice everyone in this thread

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

As a normal and well adjusted human, I'm happy to field any questions about my reading speed, work schedule, and time needed to digest emotionally heavy content in literature to the posters of the Berserk thread on the something awful dot com forums so please ask away
Are they on Elf Island yet

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

do you not find the double page spreads of architecture exhausting.

reading it all at once, was there a point where you noticed that you liked it less, or more, suddenly.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Doesn't Guts get tired of holding one eye shut all the time

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Doesn't Guts get tired of holding one eye shut all the time

That's how the demons get in :ohdear:

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Literally Kermit posted:

My favorite is when he's been set on fire or whatever towards the end of that arc, and his solution is to slice open the cocoons of half-transformed children and drench himself with the goo inside.

As he turns about with a small intestine firmly clenched between a wicked grin, I think moth girl finally realized she wasn't the biggest monster in the woods any more. :black101:

Pretty much the entirety of the BEES arc has to be my favourite, especially this particular page just for how human Guts is.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

oh jeez I forgot about his interactions with that girl and her life. I'm gonna cry ;_;

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Lost Children/Misty Vale is my favorite chapter
......................................../

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

dear god no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
of course there's a loving Guts pony there's a pony version of everything

pretty sure there's more than one even, I remember seeing terrible MLP/Berserk fanart over a year ago that looked different from that

e: google tells me there's a Griffith pony and... wow, they loving nailed his hair actually. funny that I'm so desensitized to this poo poo that that's the first thing I notice.