Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

:norway:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

RBC posted:

why are you people legitimately arguing with others whose position is literally "gently caress the poor" an d are linking to milton friedman hobbyist websites

Because asdf32 still refuses to deny that he has hosed a watermelon. Leading me to conclude that he has indeed, at some point in his life, hosed a watermelon.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

wateroverfire posted:

Hmm what happens when we decide we're not so ideologically committed to hating inequality that we have to assert everything is terrible unless people are economically equal..

Well I never. A very high level of human development indeed.

Yes, the United States is, in fact, a first world country.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

euphronius posted:

Omg your source is so hilarious

They are including medicaid hahahah!!!

I looked and didn't think they did but certainly healthcare should be considered in general.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

RBC posted:

why are you people legitimately arguing with others whose position is literally "gently caress the poor" an d are linking to milton friedman hobbyist websites

I'm a big fan of Milton Friedman

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

asdf32 posted:

I looked and didn't think they did but certainly healthcare should be considered in general.

Why.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Shayu posted:

same, i love his work he did with Crosby Stills Nash and Young

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
mods change my name to BIG FRIEDMAN FAN HERE tia

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

But that's a function of the underlying costs of health care, not an indication of the increasing generosity of the welfare state.

And there's a tension in your arguments. You oppose the minimum wage because the solution to these problems is a robust welfare state. Then you complain that welfare doesn't actually do anything and money can't solve these problems after all.

Maybe the solution to poverty is unregulated capitalism?

Edit:
:lol: your source

quote:

[i] The number of people in poverty is not influenced by the benefits received from federal, state or non-profit programs. For example, SNAP benefits are not included as income to a poor person when determining their poverty status.

Gee, I wonder why a family receiving food stamps whose value aren't included in their income for determining if they're in poverty are still determined to be in poverty? I guess food stamps didn't do anything :downs:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 7, 2015

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

paranoid randroid posted:

mods change my name to BIG FRIEDMAN FAN HERE tia

isnt that already implied in your current name

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

wateroverfire posted:

Hmm what happens when we decide we're not so ideologically committed to hating inequality that we have to assert everything is terrible unless people are economically equal..

Without reference to the moral or even economic problems with inequality, the inequality-adjusted human development index presents a more accurate representation of general quality of life by eliminating severe outliers.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Periodiko posted:

Yes, the United States is, in fact, a first world country.

Something quite contentous in D&D. In fact, according to the HDI, it's in the top 5 in terms of human development.

Tezzor posted:

Without reference to the moral or even economic problems with inequality, the inequality-adjusted human development index presents a more accurate representation of general quality of life by eliminating severe outliers.

How does adjusting the HDI using the geni coefficient do that? You have to make a bridging assumption that inequality for its own sake, in a way that isn't captured in anything used to construct the index, is making people worse off. That is at the very least highly debatable.

Also, I have to question the results of a methodology that ranks QOL in Greece higher than QOL in the US because LOL.

archangelwar posted:

The public purse you have vocally opposed. You are the one who used the language "no guarantees."

Clearly when someone opposes free universal college education what they mean to say is no public programs for anyone ever except rich people. Clearly.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

wateroverfire posted:

How does adjusting the HDI using the geni coefficient do that? You have to make a bridging assumption that inequality for its own sake, in a way that isn't captured in anything used to construct the index, is making people worse off. That is at the very least highly debatable.

Also, I have to question the results of a methodology that ranks QOL in Greece higher than QOL in the US because LOL.

http://hdr.undp.org/en/content/inequality-adjusted-human-development-index-ihdi

The IHDI takes into account not only the average achievements of a country on health, education and income, but also how those achievements are distributed among its population by “discounting” each dimension’s average value according to its level of inequality. The IHDI is distribution-sensitive average level of HD. Two countries with different distributions of achievements can have the same average HDI value. Under perfect equality the IHDI is equal to the HDI, but falls below the HDI when inequality rises. The difference between the IHDI and HDI is the human development cost of inequality, also termed – the loss to human development due to inequality. The IHDI allows a direct link to inequalities in dimensions, it can inform policies towards inequality reduction, and leads to better understanding of inequalities across population and their contribution to the overall human development cost.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

wateroverfire posted:

Clearly when someone opposes free universal college education what they mean to say is no public programs for anyone ever except rich people. Clearly.

So you are walking back on the no guarantees statement or did you just mean than in an abstract way that conveys no information so you can move the goalposts at will?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Shayu posted:

Friedman actually did do really good work on monetary policy and his explanation for the great depression as a caused by a financial crisis aggravated by poor decisions on the part of the federal reserve is still mainstream today.

It's just that he became a right-wing pundit and Libertarians who worship him probably don't even understand what the words monetary policy means other than something about buying gold.

But at least he had some good ideas like basic income.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

wateroverfire posted:

Something quite contentous in D&D.

This is a stupid thing to say.

quote:

In fact, according to the HDI, it's in the top 5 in terms of human development.

Of the first world nations, it's the richest, most populous, most powerful militarily and influential politically, with the greatest access to natural resources, and significant historical and geographical boons, as well as the country whose currency is the standard for the world. Pointing out that it's in the top 5 of the HDI is not really illustrating anything. It's not even like the US is absolutely killing it in HDI, it's getting beaten by a number of European nations, and it isn't doing notably better than the mean of western European nations. The richest most powerful country in the world is a first world country, and is competitive with other first world countries - that's about the sum of what you're pointing out.

The point of examining inequality adjusted-HDI is that it illustrates a point germane to the issue, which is that the United States has huge inequality issues. This is important, because it means that a significant portion of the population are experiencing a much lower level of human development. The US is a first world country, but it's important to keep in mind that a significant number of citizens are going to receive much lower quality healthcare or access to education than that would indicate.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Periodiko posted:

This is a stupid thing to say.

Of the first world nations, it's the richest, most populous, most powerful militarily and influential politically, with the greatest access to natural resources, and significant historical and geographical boons, as well as the country whose currency is the standard for the world. Pointing out that it's in the top 5 of the HDI is not really illustrating anything. It's not even like the US is absolutely killing it in HDI, it's getting beaten by a number of European nations, and it isn't doing notably better than the mean of western European nations. The richest most powerful country in the world is a first world country, and is competitive with other first world countries - that's about the sum of what you're pointing out.

The point of examining inequality adjusted-HDI is that it illustrates a point germane to the issue, which is that the United States has huge inequality issues. This is important, because it means that a significant portion of the population are experiencing a much lower level of human development. The US is a first world country, but it's important to keep in mind that a significant number of citizens are going to receive much lower quality healthcare or access to education than that would indicate.

yeah but $15 minimum wage is stupid

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Inequality being good, I assume wateroverfire is fine with enhancing his inequality with other people by having his hands cut off.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
agreed, it should be much higher. it's laughable that americans are so invested in spite for the poor that we have to set $15/hr as an ideal goal

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
what about that guy who started out at minimum wage back when it was $6.50/hour and he's been working all these years and it up to $15 now. that's almost $9 an hour he has earned in raises over the last decade or so. and then minimum wage gets bumped up to $15/hour.

sorry dude, in 9 years you managed to go from minimum wage to minimum wage.

that's pretty lovely and if you disagree that it is lovely, you would be a lovely employer.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cole posted:

yeah but $15 minimum wage is stupid

Your right it should be $20.

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011
sorry everybody, this dude had a lovely time under the old lovely laws, we'll need to keep the old lovely laws in place now for the sake of fairness

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cole posted:

what about that guy who started out at minimum wage back when it was $6.50/hour and he's been working all these years and it up to $15 now. that's almost $9 an hour he has earned in raises over the last decade or so. and then minimum wage gets bumped up to $15/hour.

that's pretty lovely and if you disagree that it is lovely, you would be a lovely employer.

This is retarded. He isn't making any less money.

Oh but he can't claim to be superior to a whole lot of people because he makes the same amount of money as them, so horrible :qq:.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

This would only happen in the case of malfeasance by employers, so agreed- 15 bucks an hour is only a stepping stone on the pathway to economic democracy.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Also I can't think of a single job in the entire loving world where the pay band runs from minimum to $15 an hour.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
If you tie your self-worth and esteem to the amount of money you make you are hella hosed up imho.

Maybe find something to like about yourself besides what someone is willing to pay you?

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Sorry poor people, you'll have to continue living in poverty so we don't hurt Mr. Dumbfuck Sociopath's feefees.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cole posted:

lol how much of a sociopath do you have to be to cite a dude barely staying ahead of inflation through hard work as a good thing and a reason people should be paid less

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
:bahgawd: my grandfather lived on a five dollar day, the problem with poor people today is that they're LAZY :bahgawd:

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Raising the minimum wage will cause a certain portion of the meth'ed out hill garbage to mewl. And this is a bad thing I guess.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
my brothers died face down in the mud while getting paid minimum wage. if you raise the minimum wage, their sacrifice was for nothing

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

paragon1 posted:

Also I can't think of a single job in the entire loving world where the pay band runs from minimum to $15 an hour.

publix supermarket cake decorators max at $14.89/hour and they cross train people who make minimum bagging groceries to be cake decorators :ssh:

Popular Thug Drink posted:

lol how much of a sociopath do you have to be to cite a dude barely staying ahead of inflation through hard work as a good thing and a reason people should be paid less

alright, then what should we do for the guy who has been working for almost a decade and is now getting paid what you wish minimum wage to be, and then minimum wage gets raised to that? regardless if your argument is "he won't be making less money!" it's a really lovely and demoralizing feeling to go from minimum wage, work nine years, and then you're back to minimum wage.

i would be loving LIVID if that happened to me, and i'm sure a good portion of people would be too.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Minwage raise opponents:
"Think of what you'll be costing the poor people!"
Quickly followed by
"I don't want to make the same as the poor people."

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Poors getting paid for enjoying the luxury of mud bath spas. Disgusting.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

I saw a woman using food stamps. There went my self esteem.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

publix supermarket cake decorators max at $14.89/hour and they cross train people who make minimum bagging groceries to do cake decorators :ssh:

alright, then what should we do for the guy who has been working for almost a decade and is now getting paid what you wish minimum wage to be, and then minimum wage gets raised to that? regardless if your argument is "he won't be making less money!" it's a really lovely and demoralizing feeling to go from minimum wage, work nine years, and then you're back to minimum wage.

i would be loving LIVID if that happened to me, and i'm sure a good portion of people would be too.

:ssh: You're :ssh: a :ssh: loving :ssh: idiot :ssh: because :ssh: companies :ssh: will :ssh: increase :ssh: the :ssh: wages :ssh: and :ssh: benefits :ssh: of :ssh: people :ssh: to :ssh: retain :ssh: talent :ssh:.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cole posted:

Have you considered

paragon1 posted:

If you tie your self-worth and esteem to the amount of money you make you are hella hosed up imho.

Maybe find something to like about yourself besides what someone is willing to pay you?

?

Or maybe ask for a raise.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Cole posted:

publix supermarket cake decorators max at $14.89/hour and they cross train people who make minimum bagging groceries to be cake decorators :ssh:

Then he goes to his boss and says "Hey, pay me what 9 years experience is now worth, or I'll go to a job that does". He has a huge advantage to leverage in wage negotiations.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Look, if we raise the wages of workers that require minimal training, clearly the wages of workers that require some or extensive training will remain stagnant, as will the wages of experienced workers. That's simple eccconamics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cole posted:

Now Publix can pay all its employees what they pay cake decorators! They're employee owned, it's not like it would be costing the owners anything.

• Locked thread