Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

tooterfish posted:

Some kind of restricted spell list would work, i.e. a "only ever cast these spells" order.

If they were hotkeyable (is that a word?) just like orders I don't see how that'd be any more micro than what's there currently.

There are lots of additions it could be done. Black lists (don't ever cast these spells!), white lists (cast whatever you want from this list), priority points, repeat orders, etc. I also would like to record several (or at least 2) army setups for each army group, all the squad orders, squad positions etc, one for attack and other for defense. That way you don't have to change all manually depending if you are attacking or defending.

And well, I could go on and on and one. Dreaming is free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
So I have a big pile of Ktonian Reanimators and Marshmasters and have just hit Enchantment 5 for Horde of Skeletons. What would be a good choice to research next?
Also it's looking likely that i'm going to be attacked by an army consisting of Jaguar Warriors (who's bless I don't know), Androphag Archers and Skinshifters soon.
What would be some good things to research to deal with them?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

psudonym55 posted:

So I have a big pile of Ktonian Reanimators and Marshmasters and have just hit Enchantment 5 for Horde of Skeletons. What would be a good choice to research next?
Also it's looking likely that i'm going to be attacked by an army consisting of Jaguar Warriors (who's bless I don't know), Androphag Archers and Skinshifters soon.
What would be some good things to research to deal with them?

Rigor mortis, Enchant 6. It's particularly great versus those opponents but it's so good in general that there's no good excuse for not grabbing it next. You might want to consider burning all your death gems for Pale Riders in order to have some chaff/lances for the impending battles, as those are pretty nasty armies to be facing down.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Does anyone have any good upgraded sprite mods? I'm thinking of making a mod myself and would like to see some solid sprites but both the old Dom 3 Community Sprite mod and COE 3's sprite upgrade mod are kiiind of shite.

Is Rzal still around? This preview of Arco units that he posted a while back looks absolutely amazing but I never did find the mod for it:

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
#1 missing feature: moving the unit turn order

gently caress if I don't hate scripting my army of S1 mages around the light of the northern star caster du jour.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It'd honestly be better if it was completely random

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
making dom4 an even bigger struggle with the interface and illwinter's awful arbitrary decisions would make it more tactical, i feel

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Remove spell casting lists entirely, instead you get to give your mages the orders 'Cast Offensively' which casts spells wot hurt the enemy, 'Cast Defensively' which casts buffs and protection spells or 'Cast At Will' which lets the caster AI pick for you.

The real Dominions experience. :colbert:

e; Now we need a theme game where you are not allowed script your mages :v:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Neruz posted:

e; Now we need a theme game where you are not allowed script your mages :v:

So where's the CoE3 thread?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Corbeau posted:

So where's the CoE3 thread?

A deer walked onto it.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The devs did imply that the animals of Elysium are all maneating (including the deer) and semi-sentient.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I can't say that I understand 100% of the dominions-memes but I really like them.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
This raven god has been killing a lot of my ghosts, what to do

:smug:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He was already on his way out by the look of it.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

goatface posted:

He wasn't.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Posting for approval for the ggs :shobon:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

goatface posted:

He was diseased but ravens eat corpses after battle which would have kept him alive, plus I'm guessing with those paths he was laying down some fun things like soul drain. Feebleminding him with a black bow is a good idea.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
c/d?

I figure I will make a unique hero for the America analogue based on Wernher von Braun

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
But can they make V1 rockets?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Neruz posted:

But can they make V1 rockets?

Good idea

e:

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 7, 2015

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

EA Agharta vs EA Mictlan, round 2.

This time I won! I could cast Curse of Stones (it barely did anything), and Wailing Winds (same, he had +1 morale for blessed troops and Fanaticism casted so another +2). But around 22 Maws of the Earth scripted and more mages than him in general got me the battle.

The olms finally attacking for once the Jaguars instead of already paralyzed ozelots also helped.

In an ideal world (see previous talk of wishing for better scripting) I would have even less casualties, using the free skellis from HoS to soak up the first contact. Alas, there isn't "hold 4 turns and attack" order, nor I could script some Maws of the Earth in the later turns where I knew the Jaguars would be closer to me.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Turin Turambar posted:

Alas, there isn't "hold 4 turns and attack" order, nor I could script some Maws of the Earth in the later turns where I knew the Jaguars would be closer to me.

Yes there is.

(hold)
(hold)
(hold)
(hold)

Attack

The Whoreax
Sep 7, 2008
I speak for the wood.

ChickenWing posted:

Yes there is.

(hold)
(hold)
(hold)
(hold)

Attack

He wants to save his troops and let the skeletons from Horde of skeletons eat the first waves of attacks, but since "Hold and Attack" is only 2 turns he cannot do that. If he could hold his troops back for 4 turns the skeletons would take a lot more of the damage and he'd come out losing fewer actual units.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

oh hurfadurf

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
You can do stuff involving guard commander orders with commanders scripted to hold for 4-5 turns then retreat. But its micro intensive moving all your commanders around.

Put the troops at the front of the battle, they'll spend a few turns walking back to your commander then when he retreats they'll advance, hopefully behind aload of skeletons.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Curse of Stones probably did a ton of work without you actually seeing it. Adding 50+ fatigue onto enemy troops lets you chew through them way faster.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

TheDemon posted:

Thread Guidelines:
1. Take all talk about specific games to the PGS thread. This includes timer requests, saying you signed up to a game, sub requests, diplomacy.
2. The exceptions that are OK and encouraged in this thread:
- ONE announcement of each new game
- ALL strategy discussion, including game-specific strategy questions
- ALL post-mortem talk be it post-mortem for your nation or the game as a whole

Snakes on a game has ended

At least my pretender fit the theme. If I was to do it again though I'd probably dump more in Heat and some Sloth to pick up magic scales though, maybe also drop a point in dominion and keep some productivity.

So, I played EA Agartha. Expansion went very well, my awake snake and starting army successfully expanded on all their attempts to do so and I got another expansion army rolling quickly enough to hit a good amount of provinces when they were all taken. Great olms are really good units. Then when I started looking for expansion opportunities, I noticed Ur and Vanheim were at war, so at the point where Vanheim had nearly conquered Ur I arranged for their temporary liberation.

Mind bullets work really well against Vanheres. With Vanheim conquered I moved to also grab Ur's territory, domkilling him due to wolf-spamming in the capital. A bunch of H3 priests and my Pgod sitting on his capital knocked the hostile dominion from 9 to 5 in one turn, then 5 to 0 the next, and domkill was pretty quick to follow. Apparently holding 3 capitals made my neighbors nervous, and I got a brief moment of panic where I was "dogpiled" by four different players over a span of a few turns. I pretty much panicked at this point and thought for sure I was on the decline, but Niefelheim never followed up after I killed his original task force, Atlantis was beaten back due to lack of mages. But while I defended my eastern front, Marveni's boar hordes overran my western empire, and TC captured two key forts of mine that I was unable to defend (my magus-recruitment province and a rather high income province that stood at a 4-way border). Boing AI'd out due to frustration with Marveni, but put up Burden of Time before he left.

Burden of Time affected most nations a lot worse than me, it seems. By that time I had almost completely switched over to not recruiting troops save for occasional bursts of great olms as I could afford them, so while income dropped my mage recruitment also dropped. Fortunately, my frontline of Magma Children, Living Mercuries, and Umbrals backed by a dozen or so mages spamming earth evocations was sufficient to eventually beat back the boars (I think the province dips in the graph show when this war happened). T'ien C'hi backed out of the war after taking my key forts, but luckily I managed to evacuate my mages beforehand--which as fortunate, because putting my magi in my capital let them take over Rhaux Pact duty and allowed me to send my E2F1 earth readers elsewhere to spam Magma Eruption (really, I should've done this earlier).

I site-searched aggressively throughout the game and put up Earthblood Deepwell. This would prove to be crucial in switching over to a gem-based economy. I had no idea I would do this when I started playing the game, hell, I had no idea how to play the nation at all as this was my first game with EA Agartha, but it paid off well. Thanks to Burden of Time there were even times when I used Earth Gem Alchemy to keep making mages.

Not pictured: Burden of Time was up for a good long time, until eventually I guess AI Xibalba got the global caster killed. Illwinter also had a brief stay until I dispelled it with a lizard shaman wearing a starshine skullcap (captured from Marveni) and a crystal coin (forged using starshine skullcap + earth boots on a magus). The turning points in the game were probably when TC peaced out of our war, I reached Conjuration 8 for Earth Attacks a few turns later, and Niefelheim and Ermor self-destructed on each other after their economies were wrecked by Burden of Time. BoT had nearly no effect on me, some magi got old and died, and I think one Oracle eventually died (but I think that disease was caused by his use in an earthquake trap rather than BoT), but Growth3 dominion held off the effects for a long time, and Earth Readers just plain don't care. After I beat back Marveni I was able to conquer him pretty easily, as Earth Attacks disrupted his magic plans sufficiently that he never really put up much of a fight once I took back the land his boars captured. In fact I never really lost a major battle in this game, but I still felt in danger of losing due to the sheer volume of attacks and my inability to fend them all off at once. A 2-wasteland barrier also effectively divided my empire in half with movement between the two halves greatly slowed until I built roads in key fortresses in the southern forest belt. My northern border was also wide open to raiding from Atlantis.

Turns out Earth Attacks are pretty good for a nation with mages that pop out as E4. I had three different locations that could spam out 3-4 earth attacks on demand, depending on which section of the map needed them.

Despite having what I would describe as a rather good gem income, I was spending them like crazy. EA Agartha's summons take lots of gems and mage turns. Frankly I'm surprised I kept up in research as much as I did, given I had a good three or four dozen earth readers out fighting and another 15-20 mages casting rituals at any given time. But big mage stacks spamming earth evocations with Agartha summons up front worked for me until the game's end, with Earth Attacks serving as a sort of Vengeful Water-esque barrier for invaders. It came down to the fact that while T'ien C'hi had Vengeful Water up, he had no thrones in his territory, so I only needed to hold my own land while claiming thrones, which greatly favored me. The final dozen turns were basically me steamrolling through AI land to claim the thrones necessary for victory while fending off would-be incursions with Earth Attacks.

Graffs. They seem to suggest that the game was actually quite close for the most part, but I feel I used my gem income well and EA Agartha is well-suited to surviving a post-Burden of Time world, while a blood nation like Niefelheim and human nations with old-age mages like Ermor or Marveni suffer. Xibalba was the early game winner as I expected (it's hard to tell, but the gray line that's in the lead early on is Xibalba, the one that overtakes them later is Agartha), and Boing certainly gave up much too quickly as his position was still strong even after a Marveni invasion. He could've done some real damage with those beast bat hordes if he'd stayed in.

EA Agartha was fun for me, as I said, I'd never really played them before but I liked what I saw. Never really ran a summon-heavy nation before this, but it sure worked well when BoT went up. Good game folks.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Ermor and I (Niefelheim) basically fought on and off for the whole game and killed eachother. Neither of us was ever relevant in the big scheme.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I Love You! posted:

Curse of Stones probably did a ton of work without you actually seeing it. Adding 50+ fatigue onto enemy troops lets you chew through them way faster.

I actually checked the fatigue of a few enemies in later turns, it didn't seem to go that high. I will check again. But of course it surely is because the Bade Wind and MoE spam did the bulk of the work so the melee phase was shorter than in the previous battle.

Using the guard commander + wait x4 -> attack is a trick I read time ago, but I already had forgotten about it. I will try it next time.

In other news I gave a [free from an event] black heart to a necromancer to go assassin some easy targets. But it gives me the assassin skill, not the stealth skill. Welp. Now I need the shademail item, right?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

I actually checked the fatigue of a few enemies in later turns, it didn't seem to go that high. I will check again. But of course it surely is because the Bade Wind and MoE spam did the bulk of the work so the melee phase was shorter than in the previous battle.

Using the guard commander + wait x4 -> attack is a trick I read time ago, but I already had forgotten about it. I will try it next time.

In other news I gave a [free from an event] black heart to a necromancer to go assassin some easy targets. But it gives me the assassin skill, not the stealth skill. Welp. Now I need the shademail item, right?

Yes and lol.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I don't think I posted this in the thread

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
Don't clump together a fire mage communion

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Ermor and I (Niefelheim) basically fought on and off for the whole game and killed eachother. Neither of us was ever relevant in the big scheme.

Maybe the situation was different over there since I never really had much scouting of the Ermor/Niefel border, but the graphs make Ermor look like a contender for a good portion of the early/midgame. High income (highest after I was hit hard by Marveni), good province count, good gem income, and good research (only a little lower than TC/Agartha who were essentially tied). Always hard to tell how well a blood nation is doing on the graphs since I don't think blood hunting is tracked, but I suspected you were hurting after BoT.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

Maybe the situation was different over there since I never really had much scouting of the Ermor/Niefel border, but the graphs make Ermor look like a contender for a good portion of the early/midgame. High income (highest after I was hit hard by Marveni), good province count, good gem income, and good research (only a little lower than TC/Agartha who were essentially tied). Always hard to tell how well a blood nation is doing on the graphs since I don't think blood hunting is tracked, but I suspected you were hurting after BoT.

I just paid the boot tax and moved on. I didnt have a big enough economy to care about the popkill reducing provinces more quickly.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It seems my last fight was spectated by several enemy scouts and now there is lots of talk of people frightened by my Agarthian forces, about a possible coalition against me.

I have six E4 guys who can cast Earthquake, an my Pretender who can cast Earthquake and Rain of Stones. How to use them defensively? My question is, don't the mages fall sleep after casting those big spells? I don't want to suicide my best mages, I want to try to cast it and then retreat. I suppose I need a wall of somehow-Earthquake-resistant chaff to hold up until the mages awake and retreat?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

It seems my last fight was spectated by several enemy scouts and now there is lots of talk of people frightened by my Agarthian forces, about a possible coalition against me.

I have six E4 guys who can cast Earthquake, an my Pretender who can cast Earthquake and Rain of Stones. How to use them defensively? My question is, don't the mages fall sleep after casting those big spells? I don't want to suicide my best mages, I want to try to cast it and then retreat. I suppose I need a wall of somehow-Earthquake-resistant chaff to hold up until the mages awake and retreat?

Rain of Stones is low-fatigue, doubly so if you put extra gems into it. I think with earthquake you just need to accept that your dudes are maybe going to die, and hope that you force an HP rout so that they can wake up safely.

If you PG is robust and can cast RoS, I strongly recommend empowering to a2 if necessary and cloud trapeeze > RoS > returning attacks, or just trapeeze > RoS if you're in retreat-able territory.

The Whoreax
Sep 7, 2008
I speak for the wood.

Turin Turambar posted:

If you have s1 mages, some body ethereal spam can protect your mages and a few elite troops, who should then be able to clean up the remains after your quake spam. You can also use your E mages to cast earthpower into ironskin and then summon earth elementals while your pretender waits for your earth mages to ironskin before spamming rain of stones.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

If u earthquake hard enough everyone routes turn one while your mages nap in peace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I already empowered my PG into A1 for casting RoS, I suppose I can empower him into A2 in x turns for cloud trapeze. I also planned to empower him in W1, then do a bracelet, and be able to cast Stygian Rains.

My casters have 40 hp so they should be able of surviving 2-3 earthquakes without problem. In any case one of the provinces I took past turn has Lizard Shaman, so I will have S1.

It will be interesting if I can do it, the nations near me are Xibalba, Machaka, Lanka and Sauromatia, with the last two the most probable aggressors (actually Berytos talked of attacking me but we don't even have frontiers in common). I think if anyone finally attacks, I will be able to do real damage with quake / RoS, unlike the drat N9/two-lives Jaguars who were basically immune.

• Locked thread