Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im going to report the next motherfucker to try derail about watermelons!!! that is a strawman ad homenim and not germane to the topic at hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Fifteen dollars an hour, full-time, 52 weeks a year, is 31,200 dollars gross pay. Not 50,000+.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

paragon1 posted:

So you think all the people who are earning minimum wage now are just lazy scum who don't want it enough, eh?
Yeah, pretty much. There is no reason a 15 year old should be making $15/hour.

quote:

Hey Cole, have you ever hosed a watermelon?
Someone doesn't disagree with you and you give disingenuous trolling responses... The Something Awful Forums > Debate & Discussion: Just make sure you agree with us.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i make at least a quarter mil a year, so my argument is like four times better than cole's by default before you actually try to process all the ways he fails to make any sense at all

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cole posted:

Yeah, pretty much. There is no reason a 15 year old should be making $15/hour.

why not? how much time is a teenager's worth relative to an adults? should people close to retirement have a higher minimum wage because they have less relative time to sell?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Because they are 15 years old.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cole posted:

It has nothing to do with making more than someone else to feel good. Stop putting words in my mouth. It has to do with putting in several years of work to get above minimum wage to only get placed right back at minimum wage. You proved yourself over years that you are worth more than minimum, that's why you got a raise in the first place. In many cases, you're giving people who have worked hard to get paid more than minimum wage a raise.... right to minimum wage, and that's a lovely proposition.

Well if you're still worth more than the (people making the) minimum then you can work hard and get a raise, can't you Mr. Bootstraps? You are still making the same amount of money. Why do you care what other people make unless you desperately need to know you are being paid more than people you consider lesser than you?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the impulse to share financial statements with internet strangers is so powerful even PTD has fallen victim

my hand is straying towards my filing cabinet with my tax returns in it..... strength failing....

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cole posted:

and?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

It doesn't say anything in the Bible about how much anyone should be paid, let alone teenagers.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i'm actually looking for an explanation here, and not you repeating your opinion that teenagers should be paid less like it wasn't nonsensical the first time

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

paragon1 posted:

Well if you're still worth more than the (people making the) minimum then you can work hard and get a raise, can't you Mr. Bootstraps? You are still making the same amount of money. Why do you care what other people make unless you desperately need to know you are being paid more than people you consider lesser than you?

Because nobody who has earned raises to get beyond minimum wage deserves to be stuck at minimum wage again.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Cole posted:

It has nothing to do with making more than someone else to feel good. Stop putting words in my mouth. It has to do with putting in several years of work to get above minimum wage to only get placed right back at minimum wage. You proved yourself over years that you are worth more than minimum, that's why you got a raise in the first place. In many cases, you're giving people who have worked hard to get paid more than minimum wage a raise.... right to minimum wage, and that's a lovely proposition.

People that complain about that are scum, hth.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Effectronica posted:

It doesn't say anything in the Bible about how much anyone should be paid, let alone teenagers.

The Bible also doesn't give an age of consent. Do you still want to use the Bible to prop up your argument?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cole posted:

Two things you loving retard. Most of the people working minimum wage are not 15. Second, if a laborer is competent enough to do their job, they are competent enough to earn the same wage as another laborer. Their age is irrelevant.

Unless you want to argue that they don't need $15 an hour and shouldn't get paid it, in which case I can make the same argument for everyone making more than 80k a year.

You do know some teenagers have to be breadwinners right?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cole posted:

Because nobody who has earned raises to get beyond minimum wage deserves to be stuck at minimum wage again.

haha you literally think compensation is a measure of self worth rather than a transaction that provides resources a person uses to survive

amazing

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Popular Thug Drink posted:

haha you literally think compensation is a measure of self worth rather than a transaction that provides resources a person uses to survive

amazing

yeah. the better your work, the more you are worth. that seems pretty logical.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

The Bible also doesn't give an age of consent. Do you still want to use the Bible to prop up your argument?

I'm looking through the UCMJ, and nothing on that either. Where exactly does this idea come from? Surely you didn't try to think, did you?!?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cole posted:

See there you go again. "Deserves to be stuck at". You're loving pathetic and it is goddamn hilarious.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cole posted:

it's always good when a legendarily stupid poster fully vets their reputation

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
let the record show that i make an absolutely staggering amount of money. lmore than you can possibly imagine. so everyone should defer to me when i say that God is an Astronaut hasnt released a good album in recent memory

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Cole posted:

So, you are just against minimum wage as a concept, then? Or merely against it ever going up, no matter what happens as far as inflation/CPI go?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cole posted:

Someone doesn't disagree with you and you give disingenuous trolling responses... The Something Awful Forums > Debate & Discussion: Just make sure you agree with us.

I notice you are refusing to answer the question. Is there something about your relationship with gourds you feel uncomfortable sharing with us?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

i'm actually looking for an explanation here, and not you repeating your opinion that teenagers should be paid less like it wasn't nonsensical the first time

It makes his previous accomplishments seem irrelevant even though someone with some marginal skill is still going to have a wage higher than the wage floor.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Cole why does it matter to you if a bagger at Safetway can afford the same stuff as you?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cole posted:

Oh so you were lying about being paid minimum wage even if it is a good wage affecting your self-esteem earlier? Cool

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Thanatosian posted:

So, you are just against minimum wage as a concept, then? Or merely against it ever going up, no matter what happens as far as inflation/CPI go?

In a perfect world, you would take a baseline amount that it takes to live on (to cover rent, food, etc), increase it by a certain percentage (say 10%), and call that minimum wage. If you have a child that you are the primary care for, maybe you are eligible for a monthly stipend to help care for your kid.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

In a perfect world, you would take a baseline amount that it takes to live on (to cover rent, food, etc), increase it by a certain percentage (say 10%), and call that minimum wage. If you have a child that you are the primary care for, maybe you are eligible for a monthly stipend to help care for your kid.

What do you think the $15/hour wage is, jackoff?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cole posted:

In a perfect world, you would take a baseline amount that it takes to live on (to cover rent, food, etc), increase it by a certain percentage (say 10%), and call that minimum wage

are you sitting down? i have some, shocking, news for you...

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

are you sitting down? i have some, shocking, news for you...

The core of my argument has been about that guy who is already making $15/hour. You are undermining what that person has done for several years by sticking them back at minimum wage anyway. It also has drastic impacts for small businesses.

I can quote several posts I have made that illustrate this point.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cole posted:

Okay, we don't live in a perfect world and people rabidly loving oppose this perfectly sensible and just policy, even amongst the Democrats. We could, possibly, after much struggle, raise the minimum wage.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Cole posted:

We agree! We think $15/hr linked to CPI is a great point to put that! This is, in fact, exactly what Seattle did!

So, what's the problem, again? What are you objecting to?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i don't understand where people are getting this $15 figure from. what we should do instead is figure out the average expenses for a family of four, and then calculate how much a person would need to be paid every hour for 40 hours, 52 weeks a year, in order to hit that target

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Thanatosian posted:

We agree! We think $15/hr linked to CPI is a great point to put that!

So, what's the problem, again?

That you haven't actually read all of my posts.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cole posted:

The core of my argument has been about that guy who is already making $15/hour. You are undermining what that person has done for several years by sticking them back at minimum wage anyway.

No, we understand that feeling and feel that it is a callow and shortsighted reaction that works against that persons best interests.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

The core of my argument has been about that guy who is already making $15/hour. You are undermining what that person has done for several years by sticking them back at minimum wage anyway.

Those guys make below the median income anyways, and so are basically criminals according to you.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cole posted:

The core of my argument has been about that guy who is already making $15/hour. You are undermining what that person has done for several years by sticking them back at minimum wage anyway. It also has drastic impacts for small businesses.

how does it undermine someone when other people are being paid as much as they are. like what do i care if other people are being paid more than me. do you think people making minimum wage have to wear a special shame hat which indicates their worthless status or something

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cole posted:

That you haven't actually read all of my posts.

the joke is that you described how the $15/hour figure was calculated when saying $15/hour was too high. it was a pretty funny self own, to describe exactly what happened as a bad thing when you then advocate for the thing you just said, was bad. it demonstrates that you have no idea what you're talking about

"people shouldn't be paid a so called living wage. instead, they should make enough money so they can live" <-- that is what you said, lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Small businesses will benefit tremendously from $15 an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

i don't understand where people are getting this $15 figure from. what we should do instead is figure out the average expenses for a family of four, and then calculate how much a person would need to be paid every hour for 40 hours, 52 weeks a year, in order to hit that target

$15 an hour works out to $31,200 a year, which is okay but not great if you are the sole earner in a household with multiple dependents.

• Locked thread