Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Anyone know if there's a way to batch edit photos in OSX photos?

(ie. select 5 photos and apply the same filters to them all at once.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Is there any way to make the OSX interface more ~minimal instead of installing a bunch of tools?

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

SuperSix posted:

Is there any way to make the OSX interface more ~minimal instead of installing a bunch of tools?

What do you mean by 'minimal' exactly? Are you thinking of some kind of custom UI theme?

To the best of my knowledge no one has ever succeeded in making any kind of UI skinning tool for OS X that wasn't a really dirty hack - there just really isn't a system infrastructure or a market for that kind of thing in the same way that there is on Windows and Linux. I can't recall the name off the top of my head but there was one piece of UI theme software a few years back that was giving people serious headaches when they attempted to upgrade OS X with it installed. Really, I'd just recommend taking some time to get used to OS X's interface - custom UI themes on OS X are just more trouble than they're worth.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JFairfax posted:

I am trying to install win 7 via bootcamp on an 8.2 macbook pro running 10.8.4 and I've got it to create the bootable usb, and partition the drive - but when it restarts it just give me the 'boot device cannot be found' message.

any suggestions?

edit: it's okay, I figured out the solution - buy some DVDs and do it that way

Yeah, iMacs and MBP with optical drives won't boot from USB for bootcamp installs. There's a way to make it work with some plist fuckery or something, but I could never get it to work right on my old iMac.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

SuperSix posted:

You could try increased contrast mode: http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/22/increase-contrast-mac-os-x-yosemite/

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

SuperSix posted:

~No.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

flosofl posted:

Yeah, iMacs and MBP with optical drives won't boot from USB for bootcamp installs. There's a way to make it work with some plist fuckery or something, but I could never get it to work right on my old iMac.

The hack I used back in the day was to get VMware to use the bootcamp partition and install it through that. Then boot the partition using refit. I ran into all kinds of issues because the newer windows installers wanted to try and use GPT if it detected EFI at all but bootcamp would put a fake MBR table on it. With the optical drive removed it was an annoying catch 22 where one wouldn't start the installer but if you got the installer going it wouldn't see the disks correctly. Now the latest VMware has the bootcamp feature built in. When I installed it I had to edit a VMware machine manifest kind of file to hack in the physical drive. What a pain but once I learned that it was a lot easier than trying to hack bootcamp and windows installers.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

SuperSix posted:

Enable Simple Finder :v:

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

SuperSix posted:

What are you trying to do?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You're holding it wrong.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
OSX, to me, is a Learn to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb thing. If you want to fiddle with the interface, install Linux. If you don't, use OS X - but accept that you can't. The benefit is you don't waste hours choosing a slightly nicer color for window shading.

(I say that, and then I spend hours tweaking my dot files.)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Cingulate posted:

(I say that, and then I spend hours tweaking my dot files.)

The struggle is real. You can do that on OSX too. I literally spent like 4 hours at work setting up Sublime just how I like it.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pivo posted:

The struggle is real. You can do that on OSX too. I literally spent like 4 hours at work setting up Sublime just how I like it.
Oh, I meant, I do that on OSX.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

I am at a loss on how to do what I want since 10.10.3. I use to use picasa, but that has stopped working with any type of reliability since the photos app hit. Not sure why, but the apple forums show that I am not the only one to notice it.

I have a synology nas setup to hold all my pictures that are shared with all the computers on my network. I can't seem to get this to work with photos.app. I know I can't activate iCloud photo library because my NAS isn't hfs+. I also can't store all my pics on my local system because I don't have enough local storage. I could get an external HDD, but then I am not sure how I would share them with others on my network (or even if photos.app can do that...). Apple seems to say sharing photos on a local network should still be done with iCloud. I think it would only be 50 or so a year to get the storage I need, but it seems backwards that I can no longer do this locally. Not only that it makes my NAS kinda worthless.

And if i go to photos.app I loose the file system view of my pics that I currently have with picasa. The more I look the less photos.app seems to be for me, but I don't know of an alternative anymore.

Anyone else running into this? Any advice?

fac53
Oct 22, 2002
At last! A dead star!

tuyop posted:

I've been using Spectacle for window management, like snap to half or one-third of the screen. Is there a better option that replicates Windows' functionality? I mean you snap windows by dragging them to the relevant edge of the screen. The keyboard shortcuts are cool too if it has those as well.

Also, Spectacle stopped working with acrobat after some update, so if this program works with acrobat that would be an instant buy and huge improvement.

I've been using Divvy for this kind of stuff. It works well and you can customize the grid sizes.

http://mizage.com/divvy/

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I have a weird issue: I can't update OSX. I click "Check for Updates", it brings up the App Store and shows me that I need to update to 10.10.3, but I can't click on Install. Instead, it hangs on "Checking for Updates", cycling forever and never actually doing anything.

I left it there all night and it made no difference. Anyone ever run into this?

I'm hoping updating Yosemite will help my terrible Wifi issues.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

triplexpac posted:

I have a weird issue: I can't update OSX. I click "Check for Updates", it brings up the App Store and shows me that I need to update to 10.10.3, but I can't click on Install. Instead, it hangs on "Checking for Updates", cycling forever and never actually doing anything.

Bypass the app store and try the combo update https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1804?locale=en_US

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Have you tried softwareupdate from the terminal?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

SuperSix posted:

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

triplexpac posted:

Don't forget to try a restart before trying anything else. I had a similar problem and that fixed it.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
The last 2 nights I have noticed that my MacBook Pro had randomly restarted and was sitting at a gray screen with a flashing folder with a question mark on it. I ran a verify and repair in disk utility from the recovery Hd but it did it again last night. On a scale of 1-10 how much should I be considering a new computer? I do not have AppleCare on it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Sounds like your hard drive is being fucky. How much do you want a new computer? Because this is an easy and inexpensive fix.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Rubiks Pubes posted:

The last 2 nights I have noticed that my MacBook Pro had randomly restarted and was sitting at a gray screen with a flashing folder with a question mark on it. I ran a verify and repair in disk utility from the recovery Hd but it did it again last night. On a scale of 1-10 how much should I be considering a new computer? I do not have AppleCare on it.
what year is it? It could be the cable and not the disk, do you hear clicking noises or anything?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

JHVH-1 posted:

Bypass the app store and try the combo update https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1804?locale=en_US

Thanks, this worked perfectly.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

Bob Morales posted:

what year is it? It could be the cable and not the disk, do you hear clicking noises or anything?

No clicking noises. I have one of those hybrid SSD/standard drives, I believe it is made by SeaGate but I could be wrong.

It is a mid-2012 model, pre-Retina

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Ugh, those things are the worst, they're little better than a standard platter drive with a 64MB or higher cache; if you want to keep using the machine just buy a nice 850 EVO SSD and transfer everything to it.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Rubiks Pubes posted:

No clicking noises. I have one of those hybrid SSD/standard drives, I believe it is made by SeaGate but I could be wrong.

It is a mid-2012 model, pre-Retina

Im assuming it's a 13 inch? Those in particular are notorious for HDD cable failure, though the fact that you see the drive in Disk Utility seems like the drive is the issue.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Disabling vibrancy might help achieve a ~minimal look... It's somewhere in accessibility settings; "reduce transparency" I think.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Dark Mode supremacy (if it actually changed anything besides the tool bar and dock)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I would like to playback a 5400x1920 video file on a Mac Pro. Its going to be spanned across 5 vertical FHD displays. What player/codec would work best at that res? I need real-time no frame dropping playback. Storage will be local(SSD) and shouldn't be an issue. Video will be short, 2-4 min.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

the OSX mail application is so amazingly bad, are there any decent free ones goons recommend?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

opus111 posted:

the OSX mail application is so amazingly bad, are there any decent free ones goons recommend?

I'm using the mailbox beta, which is laughably basic but I'm not too much of an email power user.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Airmail if you need anything other than Google or iCloud mail. Go with the beta, it's free and more frequently updated.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

opus111 posted:

What don't you like about it?

I switched to Airmail when Mail.app had gmail problems but I was considering switching back because.. I don't really know

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kode54 posted:

Airmail if you need anything other than Google or iCloud mail. Go with the beta, it's free and more frequently updated.

I'm sure it's me being a stupid-head, but I could *never* get Airmail to see my iCloud contacts. I just gave up after a while.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

I'm sure it's me being a stupid-head, but I could *never* get Airmail to see my iCloud contacts. I just gave up after a while.

Yeah, that does sound like a deal breaker.

It's not as much for me, since I receive way more mail than I actually send. Most of my outgoing mail is in the form of replies.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

The Milkman posted:

What don't you like about it?

I switched to Airmail when Mail.app had gmail problems but I was considering switching back because.. I don't really know

i changed my password to all three of my gmail accounts 2 weeks ago because I got an alert that somebody on the other end of the country was trying to log in and since then I've had to re-input my passwords every other day, I got like 20 emails in one batch last night that had been sent over a period of 4 days or so and had never appeared, and also 2 emails I sent last night were still in my outbox until this morning for some reason. With my dad having surgery and my parents' relying solely on email for most of their communication its completely unacceptable. IT's so wooly.

Since changing my password I can't receive email on my iPhone either, despite deleting the accounts and starting again.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
The last time something like that happened to me I just went nuclear and set up MFA on all my important accounts.

The Facebook one is terrible for using their own code generator and I hate it.

Edit: Oh wait, you can use google authenticator on Facebook! Fixing that now.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 8, 2015

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

kode54 posted:

Or you have my Downloads folder, which is currently set to Arrange By: Date Added, and for some inexplicable reason, every time I download a new file or two, they get dropped to the very bottom of the list, even though the list is being sorted in descending order. So, hundreds of files, going back to a modification time of 1995 (yay for servers keeping file times of MIDI files extracted from old games, and modules produced that long ago), and then suddenly it's 10 files all downloaded recently.

Opening the files in Finder tends to cause them to move to the top of the list, along with the folder that is extracted from them if they're archives.

Upon further inspection, it appears all of the items stuck at the bottom have no "added" timestamp.

The "Date Added" attribute is handled by Spotlight, so maybe your Spotlight index is hosed up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Ganguro King posted:

The "Date Added" attribute is handled by Spotlight, so maybe your Spotlight index is hosed up?

That would tend to go along with the fact that Spotlight is also failing to index new apps added to /Applications, unless I manually add and remove that folder from the privacy settings.

It also manages to index folders that I have marked as private, such as my Developer directory, in an attempt to stop file associations from opening debug builds of my software instead of the already running instance sitting in /Applications.

So, how would I go about totally destroying and rebuilding my Spotlight indexes?

E: Off topic, I just acquired a ColorMunki Display, and I must say, it works nicely. Too bad I can't say the same for the lovely software. The CD they shipped it with was as old as its firmware, 2012, and therefore would not install. The latest software from the web site did install, but would fail after 15 minutes of running tests with a nondescript error. So I removed that crap and went with ArgyllCMS and DispcalGUI instead.

kode54 fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 8, 2015