Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Isn't a supermoto with dirt wheels on it just... a dirt bike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Rode up to Brenham Airpark from Sugar Land this past weekend on the FZR. Took one photo.

I feel weird. I actually kindof like this bike now.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Watsabi posted:

DRZ400SM + Dirt Wheels = Stupid Fun!

So uh, a regular DRZ400 then?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

VERTiG0 posted:

So uh, a regular DRZ400 then?

No, a DRZ400S, which also has different forks! Completely unique bikes. :eng101:

Oh, Suzuki. The decals are different too.:suicide101:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

heh

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
ew suzuki

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
More like supuki

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chichevache posted:

No, a DRZ400S, which also has different forks! Completely unique bikes. :eng101:

AND a different swingarm :colbert:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Haha did you get a powder coated rack in WHITE???

You rebel, you

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Updated pic with my reflector/fender delete

Love this bike.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Razzled posted:

Haha did you get a powder coated rack in WHITE???

You rebel, you

Not gonna divulge what I paid

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
No need, the smiley says it all

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Need to chop that tail, yikes

:dogge:

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Rode a 690 duke home yesterday:

Hope I don't blow that engine up; keep pinning the throttle for shits and giggles.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Nah it's fine, let it warm up and break it in hard.

Keep a close eye on the oil consumption though - on break in it will burn some oil.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The dealer near me doesn't carry 10w60 oil; gonna have to order some soon.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Angryboot posted:

The dealer near me doesn't carry 10w60 oil; gonna have to order some soon.

10W-60 looked like a really strange oil, so I looked it up - apparently it's good for dirt bikes (makes sense that the Duke wants it, then) as well as the BMW M-series cars.

Learn something new every day.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Its loving expensive. Doing a oilchange on my M3 hurts my feelings.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bird cooch posted:

Its loving expensive. Doing a oilchange on my M3 hurts my feelings.

But when it's done, you get in, start up that wonderful engine and floor it, and everything's alright with the world, for just a few seconds.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Till the crank walks it's way out of the engine at least.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

revmoo posted:

Updated pic with my reflector/fender delete

Love this bike.

Looking solid, like how the seat cowl looks

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Ripoff posted:

I just bought this thing and it's grCLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK

(Note: there is no Youtube video in the world that does justice for how loud that clutch is. I love it.)

Ayyy, my man.

If you've got some kind of dry clutch conversion, for God's sake, man, why?

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 13, 2015

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Mmmmmmm....Ducati.

KozmoNaut posted:

But when it's done, you get in, start up that wonderful engine and floor it, and everything's alright with the world, for just a few seconds.

But its great for those two seconds before I remember the looming service, the possibly broken subframe or the fact that my floor must be tearing but I just dont want to look.

Theres two more bikes not in the picture and Im on the hunt for a trials bike. I might have a problem. Every week a bike or a car needs servicing. Its never ending. One day this week I dropped four of the six running bikes trying to do slow wheelies.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 13, 2015

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Ayyy, my man.

If you've got some kind of dry clutch conversion, for God's sake, man, why?

No conversion here, bro. Ducati arbitrarily decided the 2009-2010 M1100 bikes would keep the dry clutches even though the rest of the line had abandoned them. It was dumped in 2011 with the introduction of the M1100 EVO.

My bike is 100% factory bullshit, thank you very much. :colbert:

Also Monster 696 is a good choice, you have good taste in bikes. Let's meet at an artisanal coffee shop and scoff at everyone.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Good luck finding a table. I'm sure every last one of them will be occupied by flabby gutted middle aged men in Lycra talking about their preferred brand of absurdly expensive carbon fiber bicycle. I miss the days when a man having a mid life crisis bought a Harley or a Porsche and chased women half their age. This wannabe Lance Armstrong fetishism is aberrant.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

darth cookie posted:

Good luck finding a table. I'm sure every last one of them will be occupied by flabby gutted middle aged men in Lycra talking about their preferred brand of absurdly expensive carbon fiber bicycle. I miss the days when a man having a mid life crisis bought a Harley or a Porsche and chased women half their age. This wannabe Lance Armstrong fetishism is aberrant.

Weep for the old ducatis, invaded by the new hotness.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

One of these things is not like the other, one of these isn't the same...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Do those three other bikes put together outgun the SD engine?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The 3rd one was a guzzi so definitely not.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Ripoff posted:

No conversion here, bro. Ducati arbitrarily decided the 2009-2010 M1100 bikes would keep the dry clutches even though the rest of the line had abandoned them. It was dumped in 2011 with the introduction of the M1100 EVO.

My bike is 100% factory bullshit, thank you very much. :colbert:

I don't think I've ever seen an 1100 without the double pipes on the side, so I thought it was a 696/796 that you'd replaced the forks on. Weird.

Roughly how many times a week do you get asked what's wrong with it?

quote:

Let's meet at an artisanal coffee shop and scoff at everyone.

Actually my life, though.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

I'll take either blue one, it'll match my jackets.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Z3n posted:

Take that ridiculous cowl off the baby blue one and you actually have a nice looking bike.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

notZaar posted:

Take that ridiculous cowl off the baby blue one and you actually have a nice looking bike.

:frogout: bad opinion haver.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I think that's the first duke I've seen on a public road ever

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I don't think I've ever seen an 1100 without the double pipes on the side, so I thought it was a 696/796 that you'd replaced the forks on. Weird.

Roughly how many times a week do you get asked what's wrong with it?

You know how many I've gotten? Zero. loving zero. :negative: It's the only disappointing thing about owning this bike for me - you'd think that some jackass would make fun of my "lovely bike" or whatever but no, nobody cares, nobody looks, nobody even notices it exists. Everyone's windows are rolled up, even on these beautiful 75 degree days with blue skies. It's so freaking gorgeous out, and nobody lifts their heads from their phone screens.

Hell, you know that goon with the crazy jet-ski scooter? Let's one-up it and take the dildo gas cap, put a fuel pump and spark plug in the dong, and have it pop a boner and shoot a 2 foot flame out the tip when you hit the horn. You could have a flaming cock on a jet ski driving down the middle of the street, and I bet you'll have three people in this entire area look at it.

On to more important things, the 2009-2010 M1100s were kinda weird machines. Apparently they share a lot of components with the 696/796 Monsters except for the dry clutch (in fact, I bought baffles off a 796 owner for my Termignoni carbon cans, and they fit perfectly. So even Termi used the same components across the displacement range). Reading some forums I found a lot of claims that Ducati felt the big Monster market would balk at anything but a dry-clutch bike, so they kept the design. You can see how well that worked out because in 2 model years they abandoned the dry clutch design and moved on to the M1100 EVO design which I understand picked up about 5 HP from the 2V motor, the lighter and easier to use wet clutch, as well as the side exhaust you're talking about. Oh, and a little thing called "traction control".

Mine's a 2009 which means I missed out on ABS, which was almost a deal-breaker for me. Sadly, I was having trouble finding a person willing to sell an EVO for anything short of a hilariously high price. There was an example out there with 5k miles on it, only 1k away from the first major service, and I had the guy tell me he wanted $10k for the thing which was only $2k less than brand-new. With an expected $600 service interval coming up in 1,000 miles, you basically were paying $10,600 for a bike that was, what, $11,900 brand-new? For an almost 4 year old bike? Hell no.

Finding a 2010 with ABS was tough, so when I came across a local non-ABS S model with 13k miles on the clock and a seller that didn't have his head shoved up his rear end, I jumped on it. It's missing the electronic rider aids, but that doesn't bother me too badly. Or at least it won't until I ham-fist it in an emergency stop and eat poo poo.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 14, 2015

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Bike woes!

I bought a second hand Honda VTR 1000 Firestorm (aka superhawk) about 18 months ago with a fried regulator which was replaced by the dealer (along with a new battery) for nothing at the time. I was told that Honda had updated that part as it was known to overheat like a motherfucker and pop. So new part should be good.

Fast forward to now and my bikey no start. I thought it was just overdue for a service and thought nothing of it. They haul it in, service it and send it back to me. A week later it dies again. They tow it and diagnose a dead battery. I say bullshit because it's less than two years old and they should have spotted it at the service. So i insist they pull the regulator out and bench test it because I have no desire to pay for a third towing fee if it dies again in a week.

Surprise surprise I turn out to be right. So the "new" Honda regulator is just as poo poo as the old one. Queue a search for an aftermarket option. Here's hoping the one they found is less crap.

On the plus side at least it's not a new problem I have to deal with.

Edit: the good news is that the wife has gotten the shits with the process and having to drive me around and suggested on her own that if this keeps happening that I buy a new bike because "I need reliable transport." :getin:

So, Ducati Scrambler or triumph triple? :D

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 14, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ripoff posted:

You know how many I've gotten? Zero. loving zero. :negative: It's the only disappointing thing about owning this bike for me - you'd think that some jackass would make fun of Apparently they share a lot of components with the 696/796 Monsters except for the dry clutch

Ducati tends to do this. I made a website just for dumb poo poo like this. http://www.desmoduck.com
I also have one for Aprilias... since I know I'll own one eventually.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

Ducati tends to do this. I made a website just for dumb poo poo like this. http://www.desmoduck.com
I also have one for Aprilias... since I know I'll own one eventually.

Holy poo poo, I forgot you made this. :stare: This is a seriously good site, thanks.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Edit: Wrong thread

Does this look like a bad insurance ad to anyone else?

:lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVnXsZfySX8

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

darth cookie posted:

So, Ducati Scrambler or triumph triple? :D
Always triple