Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Bonobos posted:

Can you link which one you got on the website? I'm interested in something like this but I can't find it on the website.

EDIT: nevermind found it

For those who weren't sure how to find it, it's here, but you can get that game bit/screw driver attachments for all kinds of consoles cheaper on amazon with free shipping!

But keep in mind the reviews, they say it can wear out easily. But then, I've seen lots of reviews of stuff saying things broke easily but when I get it I can't imagine how something could break easily unless you sat on it so your mileage may vary on amazon reviews.

Police Automaton posted:

There is an massive overlap between retro computing enthusiasts and audiophiles who believe in audio voodoo funnily enough. Never quite figured out why. My theory is that such people belong to that group of people who don't really understand this stuff and then give it some mystical properties which make no sense if you understand it even a little. One day I will sell my massive stockpile of SIDs to them and retire.

Audiophiles can be really weird. I see folks swearing up and down that this super special mega HD audio thing will change your life forever. But the audio doesn't sound that much different from decent sound making things.
I feel like it's the same with DVD versus blueray. Yes, it's better video...? But I'm not shelling out hundreds more dollars for something that lets me see people's face wrinkles. There's diminishing returns and high prices aren't helping.

Or maybe I'm just weird and I'm like those people who can't see 3D on the 3DS, but for audio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001

Caitlin posted:

Well if you're going to dump all of it I don't see why you'd want to keep Wand of Gamelon... :sax: But really I'd be happy with "not the wireless stick controller thing". It's not terrible so far, but it's reeeeeeally weird...

Be sure to post the results of hooking it up to a framemeister - not that I can afford one anytime soon, but I am genuinely curious! I hope to have more time to play with my CD-i this weekend, though my 3DO has seen a surprising amount of use - everyone who comes over wants to try it (and seems to actually have fun, even). I feel very good about my trades and am very grateful to the persons involved (kynikos is a champ! anonymity was requested on behalf of the other trader, and who am I to argue).

Retro goons best goons. :allears:

vv haaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahah

Do you have nightmares about the laughing skull from Return Fire yet?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Random Stranger posted:

So what you're saying is I should buy some gold spray paint and start selling my high quality RF connectors that provide sharper, warmer pixels.

How much do you want for those? Can I set up a payment plan

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
:neckbeard: Greatest retro week ever for me? I do believe so!

WHAT'S IN THE BOX :ohdear:

Why, another box! :downs:

Could it be? :raise:

:quagmire::quagmire::quagmire::quagmire::quagmire::quagmire::quagmire::quagmire::quagmire::quagmire::quagmire:

And thus, I have every game I want for Neo Geo now :getin:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Bel Monte posted:

Audiophiles can be really weird. I see folks swearing up and down that this super special mega HD audio thing will change your life forever. But the audio doesn't sound that much different from decent sound making things.
I feel like it's the same with DVD versus blueray. Yes, it's better video...? But I'm not shelling out hundreds more dollars for something that lets me see people's face wrinkles. There's diminishing returns and high prices aren't helping.

Or maybe I'm just weird and I'm like those people who can't see 3D on the 3DS, but for audio.

You just dragged a cheap method of distributing video (players are down below a hundred bucks and disc prices are no one's fault but Hollywood's) with around a dozen times the measurable pixel density and effective data bandwidth (post-compression/optimization) of ideal standard-def to the level of "those dudes who wrap a meter or two of wall wire in sand-filled hose, tape some rocks to it, and charge five grand for the privilege". Would you say the same thing about HDTV?

Think about what you've done.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

How much do you want for those? Can I set up a payment plan

Would you want the normal one, or the one that I applied stickers of Link sprites to. The sprites do make things go 28.4% faster, though they cost $5000 more...

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I like those gold plated connectors which only have their ground part gold plated and not the rest, because it usually is all you need to make it look pretty and expensive. That being said, it is important to make the distinction that gold plated contacts are not always useless and can actually be good for some applications where you need that extra reliability. Nothing about consumer electronics is such an application though.

The sadly very boring answer those folks don't like to hear (because they don't get reasons to tune and spend money) is that audio gear is as good as it is going to get with how it was designed. There is often very little you can do to improve things beyond what the designer(s) already covered, if the design wasn't an absolute piece of poo poo to begin with. It is much easier to make things actually worse with modifications you don't truly understand. Just because some parts are more expensive and have very impressive sounding datasheets doesn't mean they will work better in a circuit than some bog standard four cent component. Often actually quite the contrary.

Analog video signals, now there is something you can sperg out about but nobody really does. (especially now where analog video is dead) But most of the same things are true here. I saw modifications in the retroscene here and there in Video too. Lots of useless stuff and especially capacitors where capacitors don't belong. The only trule modification I know about that can really improve your quality-of-life with one system is a small circuit to filter out the AEC-signal from the C64s VIC luminosity signal (the "Jailbar" effect, maybe some people have seen it) that apparently is some kind of design weakness of the VICs die itself.

Regarding SD vs HD vs 4k.. I already enjoyed movies when they were plain old SD. Contrary to higher gimmick resolutions I'd much prefer they'd make good movies again instead.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Would you say the same thing about HDTV?

Think about what you've done.

Yes. :colbert:
Because a common reason why adopting blueray was so slow was because it offered little benefit for the price. DVD was "good enough" for most people, and few people had HDTVs at the time too.
I have seen and had HDTV. My experience wasn't really changed in a dramatic life altering way, or improved really, but I did finally get to see all the wrinkles on actors and every strand of their hair. ...It still didn't improve the poo poo content. :v:

HDTV won't improve my Atari pixels anyway!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Random Stranger posted:

Would you want the normal one, or the one that I applied stickers of Link sprites to. The sprites do make things go 28.4% faster, though they cost $5000 more...

Only $5000? Holy poo poo what a steal, edit this post so no one else sees and I'll PM you, I want to buy them all.

Do you think you could apply those to some HDMI cables? I noticed some lag the other day when playing my PS3.

e. Also, I'm generally okay with SD TV resolutions, but when it comes to my projector, it looks really fuckin' nice in 720p. It's also like 160" diagonal, though. :v:

Mmmmm, big pixels.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

my favorite are the ones that make CDs sound better by outlining the plastic hub with a sharpie.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Police Automaton posted:

I already enjoyed movies when they were plain old SD. Contrary to higher gimmick resolutions I'd much prefer they'd make good movies again instead.

Good news! Thanks to most digital masters being sub-4K and film holding a hell of a lot of detail if they used good camera and archival lenses and took care of it right, your UHD Blu-Ray deck is basically a Criterion Collection player!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Some people don't have space for 8 crts/computer monitors and would like to use one device for all so :shobon:

Regardless there are some very good reasons to get blurays such as Star Trek TNG which was fully remastered, looks amazing and is waaaay better than the DVD version

The video game community/audiophile overlap is a poor relation - it's actually idiotic musicians that are doing this.

There's a huge audiophile-esque movement within the music community where analog/og = better. That's why you will have people argue over the year of whatever stupid transistors they use on their guitar amp, people bragging about some lovely vintage pedal, etc. It all carries over into music producers into synthesizers who get a boner over Moog and are 100% convinced the software versions of <insert chip here> are completely worthless in comparison and only the original chip/circuit will work.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Good news! Thanks to most digital masters being sub-4K and film holding a hell of a lot of detail if they used good camera and archival lenses and took care of it right, your UHD Blu-Ray deck is basically a Criterion Collection player!

But what does it really add to the movie? Not trying to be a dick here, but why is more detail automatically better? I've seen some movies as HD-remastered and what have you but they didn't give me anything the movie didn't already when I was watching it on VHS. Of course, when you put the technical aspect aside it's nice to have a medium that doesn't randomly decay or introduce artifacts just by existing. But beyond that? I just don't see how higher resolution is just automatically better because reasons. Often it just doesn't really seem to add anything. Sometimes it even seems to take away because you were clearly not meant to see that much detail.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Sorry I didn't add a :v: in there, I guess?

The difference between VHS and DVD was blindingly obvious, but I completely get why you wouldn't bother to replace existing DVDs unless you had to or the publisher screwed up the old DVD transfer somehow.

Also nothing stops people from leaving the original level of focus in the source material. Then again, nothing stops people from sharpening the holy crap out of it either, unfortunately (which is fun with games that depended on imperfect line and sample blending for additional color depth or cheap graphics effects when the player tries to get edge-perfect pixels). I suppose you'd call people who must have all of the crispness instead of settling for being faithful to the source media 'videophiles', and mostly for the same reasons.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
For Star Trek TNG the blu ray remasters did a night and day improvement over the quality of video however not all blu ray remasters are as well done. All the CGI and whatnot was completely redone from scratch for TNG on the remaster.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

I suppose you'd call people who must have all of the crispness instead of settling for being faithful to the source media 'videophiles', and mostly for the same reasons.

Not really, I am using a Mini with my 2560x1440 Display to get the Output of my Amiga onto it and I enjoy the crispness I would have had no hope of ever getting with the Original CRT I bought with it once when it was new. I sometimes screw around with graphics programs on it so every bit of crispness actually helps not giving me a headache like the CRTs sometimes managed to. With the movies and stuff I just often don't see how it really adds anything to the movie if you redo the CGI or display it in a better resolution. Doesn't really change the story or the acting. It might make it more accessible for people who get turned off by aged CGI or low resolutions, (fuzzyness?) but well. Anyways, I don't want to derail this thread here much further. I guess this is a discussion you could have forever.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

flyboi posted:

For Star Trek TNG the blu ray remasters did a night and day improvement over the quality of video however not all blu ray remasters are as well done. All the CGI and whatnot was completely redone from scratch for TNG on the remaster.

Holy poo poo that's quite a remastering :stare:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Laughed about things in another thread and the Apple Pippin (Bandai Atmark) was brought up. Asked my guy, turns out they are really quite cheap to get hold of but does it have anything worth the time money and setup?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhYnfppEKzA

No, it doesn't.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 7, 2015

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

wa27 posted:

It's not terrible, but the analog stick has practically no dead zone. Try selecting plays in NFL Blitz some time. Just letting the stick snap back to 0,0 is enough to push the cursor the other way.

I had three first party controllers and one of those as a kid, and nobody wanted to get stuck with that one. It's just too big for kids' hands. As an adult it wasn't so bad but I sold mine because they are somewhat desirable for whatever reason these days.

Mortal Kombat

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bel Monte posted:

High prices what? Hundreds more dollars? You posting from 2006 or something?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

High prices what? Hundreds more dollars? You posting from 2006 or something?

It's not unreasonable to imagine that replacing one's entire DVD library with Blu-Ray equivalents could easily cost hundreds of dollars.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pastry of the Year posted:

It's not unreasonable to imagine that replacing one's entire DVD library with Blu-Ray equivalents could easily cost hundreds of dollars.

But literally no one ever proposed that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MrLonghair posted:

Laughed about things in another thread and the Apple Pippin (Bandai Atmark) was brought up.

but does it have anything worth the time money and setup?

No, it doesn't.

Just the fact that they used Ash to Ash from a Super Robot Wars game instead of any in-game sound is pretty telling.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
:goonsay: Well I happen to consider Johnny Mnemnonic to be a film worth keeping around on a physical storage medium and the BR version would be a bit beyond $100 in the end because it's a rare print only released in Japan

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

But literally no one ever proposed that.

I wouldn't be surprised if people have, though. Just knowing that a slightly-better looking version of something you already own exists, and that all one has to do to have it is :retrogames:, is enough to make some people crazy.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

So my friend that owns a pawn shop has stacks of gamecubes and wiis and knows I talk about old games on the internet. Would there be interest in GameCubes for $30 + shipping(one controller, one random game) and Wiis for $50 + shipping(one controller and one random game).

This is not a group buy, this is an interest check. If there is interest I'll work it out with him, and post an SA Mart thread. I'm not making any money or anything off this just doing a favor for a friend.

Edit: If these are lovely prices or whatever, lemme know. They'll all be tested before sending of course.

tyk00n
Sep 25, 2006

College Slice
Just a heads up for any Canadians looking to order a everdrive from GamerSection.ca (the only Canadian distributor I can find); this is their idea of an acceptable cart with "existing wear and tear as well as scuff marks":

Needless to say, I had to make my own; and they don't offer the option to buy just the board.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I run content for a convention. I want to set up retro gaming with a wide selection, with good looking stuff. What should I do for that? Games should be multiplayer as far as multiplayer will go. 10 player bomberman is already covered and was a hit.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Four xboxes and Halo 1. Micro Machines 4 player j-Cart on Genesis. Goldeneye N64(also Carmagetton, and Rush)

For extreme multiplayer, 16 Gameboys and face ball 2000. And 4 swords adventures with 5 GameCubes with gba adaptors.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 8, 2015

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

RodShaft posted:

So my friend that owns a pawn shop has stacks of gamecubes and wiis and knows I talk about old games on the internet. Would there be interest in GameCubes for $30 + shipping(one controller, one random game) and Wiis for $50 + shipping(one controller and one random game).

This is not a group buy, this is an interest check. If there is interest I'll work it out with him, and post an SA Mart thread. I'm not making any money or anything off this just doing a favor for a friend.

Edit: If these are lovely prices or whatever, lemme know. They'll all be tested before sending of course.

Depending on shipping costs, I would maybe be interested in a GCN.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

poo poo, I didn't mean to get anyone's blood pressure going over the music hacks thing. I forgot you guys mostly don't like that. :ohdear:

Some details on tate-ing CRTs (tate is a shmups forum term "tah-tay" in moon language means to stand). Generally, this is an ok thing. Consumer-level TVs may be more difficult to flip than PVMs or 1084s. I used to have this 20" JVC shitbox TV that I flipped a few times before I had my RGB monitors. It's important to make sure the TV has enough flat casing on the left side to accomadate the weight of the tube. That said, I don't think those flat-glass Trinitrons from the early '00s are TATE-able, but I could be wrong. In my experience on both my TV and one of the RGB monitors I had, there was some discoloration on the screen at the bottom once flipped due to magnets or something :v: This went away after several full power cycles where the degauss thing kicked in.

If you have one of those wall mounts with the flexible arm for your HD set, some of them let you flip.... but it's the wrong side. Same with computer monitors - if you get one that pivots, it only does so clockwise. That's fine for MAME because you can specify which direction the display will rotate, but I don't think that's possible on the console ports.

As far as I know, all arcade monitors are created equal. The "tall" screens are just regular ones rotated. If you look at pics of cabs like Astro City or whatever, they're all the same size, but can accomodate a flipped monitor with the adjustable supports that come with it. Back when I was into all this stuff, you could buy brand new replacement monitors from Wells Gardner in several sizes up to 27", but since then they've moved on to LCDs.

I don't remember where I read it, but apparently in the Japanese versions of the Taito Collections (Memories?) there is tate mode for the vertical games. That's pretty neat.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

signalnoise posted:

I run content for a convention. I want to set up retro gaming with a wide selection, with good looking stuff. What should I do for that? Games should be multiplayer as far as multiplayer will go. 10 player bomberman is already covered and was a hit.

Here's what I'd want to see at a gaming convention for retrogaming content. Keep in mind, though, that I'm completely insane and no one should ever try to cater to my tastes. :v:

The absolute basics:

- Game tournaments. They don't have to be big ones, just small competitions can be entertaining. Old fighting games are an obvious choice here (original release of Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat, and the like), but don't overlook score attack stuff. If I saw that a con was doing a caravan shooter tournament (essentially a timed mode for shoot-'em-ups) then I'd be over the moon.

- A wide variety of stuff, not just the common consoles.

- The correct equipment. Plenty of consoles, the multitaps for them, CRT monitors/televisions,

- No Smash Bros.

Stuff that would get me excited:

- Rare gaming opportunities. There's all sorts of cool things that just can't be done because getting all the hardware, software, and players together in one place is prohibitive. A full set up for Pac-Man Vs, Mario Kart: Double Dash, a LAN set up for Steel Battalion, and so on. And rare games like four player Nightmare on Elm Street or imported video games.

RodShaft posted:

Those are okay prices. Not a deal, but not outrageous either.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

A Nightmare on Elm Street 4p is one of the few games in the illustrious "Friendship Ruiner" category, alongside Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers and New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Silhouette posted:

A Nightmare on Elm Street 4p is one of the few games in the illustrious "Friendship Ruiner" category, alongside Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers and New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

So put it next to the Diplomacy tournament.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

signalnoise posted:

4-player Power Stone 2 on Dreamcast.

Get some CRT's and lightgun games going. Time Crisis, Point Blank, etc.

Get some rare or even just odd machines in if you can for novelty.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Faceball gameboy 16 player.. I need to see it happen

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Bonobos posted:

Can you link which one you got on the website? I'm interested in something like this but I can't find it on the website.

EDIT: nevermind found it

Share the love, because that looks quite handy compared to my current motley collection of hex bits.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Tyson Tomko posted:

Every now and then a good 3rd party N64 controller can be found. Even though this one is ugly as poo poo, it works pretty well and the stick on mine is still in fantastic shape.

(turbo mode owns for making big bombs in Bomberman)

I have a pair of those that I got in a big lot of video game stuff. I was going to just sell them but I tried them out and they are actually really good controllers.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

flyboi posted:

Faceball gameboy 16 player.. I need to see it happen

I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

Almost a quarter of the way there!

In the meantime, I finally (FINALLY!) got around to linking up Game & Watch Gallery 3 to the previous two to unlock the respective Museum entries. I am disappointed that they aren't animated! I mean, big deal, they are in the respective games, but still!

Always liked the music in the first game. I spent way too much time as a kid just staring at the gallery entries and listening to the tunes.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I didn't bother to update the thread last month but my next two Master System reviews are up. Sadly both of them are blah. Not awful by any means but.. just utterly forgettable in every way.

http://masterratings.blogspot.com/2015/04/game-fourteen-heavyweight-champ-1991.html

http://masterratings.blogspot.com/2015/05/game-fifteen-aztec-adventure.html

Man I want to cover some GOOD games. The project has so far been a poster child for both emulation and not trying to 100% collect a game line for either a franchise or system. Because you end up with a lot of crap. :smith: Luckily Montezuma's Revenge is next and it is a good if balls hard game. (Then I plan on slacking rear end for June and July with more games I already have loving completed so I can knock em out quickly. And maybe make the last game in July one I haven't played much of the SMS port of so I can give it a proper go. Or actually get off my rear end and play Miracle Warriors.)

Also on the upside I have four more SMS games boxed and complete for a fair price coming my way which will bring me into the low 60 count of games. I still loving dread buying ALF though. loving. ALF. I can get the 3d glasses for around the price of that loving game if not less!

• Locked thread