Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I only ever end up playing AC games years after they've release and I just got to 4, which is pretty fun though something happened with the controls because Edward seems weirdly 'sticky' and grabs things I didn't want him to. Plus, he does not scale cliffs or trees as well as Connor could (immersion!). And the fact that treasure chests are literally everywhere and give negligible amounts of money -- not cool for a pirate game.

Anyway, doing the hacking missions in the real world you can read this email exchange about 'new ideas' for future AC products. It's a fake email chain.People are suggesting interesting and somewhat quieter things and then this one guy is like nah bro, we got do BIG WAR poo poo EVERYONE KNOWS like the french revolution and victorian england!

...then they did it for the next games after they had made fun of how vanilla and lame the whole idea was. Wish those chronicles games were full game settings.

There's also a ridiculous excuse as to why there will never be anywhere near modern era-ish AC games (cars break the animus; seriously).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ultrachrist posted:

(cars break the animus; seriously).

I'm betting it's a jab at Anvil engine limitations. Outside of the two pirate games we haven't seen Anvil (or whatever the new Unity engine is called) handle large numbers of physics objects.,

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm betting it's a jab at Anvil engine limitations. Outside of the two pirate games we haven't seen Anvil (or whatever the new Unity engine is called) handle large numbers of physics objects.,

There's some handwaving stuff about cars absolutely loving with someone's motor control and causing the simulation to desynchronize

not so much a slam as in plausible deniability

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

ayn rand hand job posted:

There's some handwaving stuff about cars absolutely loving with someone's motor control and causing the simulation to desynchronize

not so much a slam as in plausible deniability

Actually it says that people seem to go into a semi-comatose state when driving, and now when I actually drive I'm conscious of the fact that this is why car wrecks happen.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Nothing pisses me off more than when the game decides I need to chase someone and my character decides it's time to climb this wall facing 90° away from the dude I'm running after because my arm clipped it or some poo poo.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

The car bit was just a jokey handwave for why the fictional games company only makes Assassin's Creed games. When real-life Ubisoft wants to make games in a modern setting, they're not Assassin's Creed games.

Edit: I mean, these days they basically are, but they don't use the same framing story

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 7, 2015

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Tempo 119 posted:

The car bit was just a jokey handwave for why the fictional games company only makes Assassin's Creed games. When real-life Ubisoft wants to make games in a modern setting, they're not Assassin's Creed games.

Edit: I mean, these days they basically are, but they don't use the same framing story

Watch_Dogs is supposedly set in the modern day setting of Assassin's Creed. You even kill a character from Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag during Watch_Dogs.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

If Watch_Dogs had a better story it would be actually fun because the gameplay is cool. The protagonist is such an unlikable creep that it really drags it all down. Basically if they actually did make it an Assassin's Creed game with the mechanics from the series (like faster climbing) it would have been for the better.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah, Aiden was a pretty awful protagonist. Being a vigilante out for revenge when it's his own drat fault in the first place and he invades peoples privacy, including his own sister who he is unhealthily attached to in a very creepy way.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Like near the beginning of the game he visits his sister because it's his nephew's birthday and the game changes atmosphere from 'awkwardly trying to reconnect with his only family left while having some sort of ptsd' to 'a stalker just called his sister while her child and brother are in the same room and now you have to chase him and kill him right there in the loving street' I started wondering what the hell is this poo poo.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
The next game in the series (presumably Victory) will be formally announced next Tuesday at Noon EDT.

I'm desperately trying to work up some excitement for this but after Unity so far I'm failing.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

macnbc posted:

The next game in the series (presumably Victory) will be formally announced next Tuesday at Noon EDT.

I'm desperately trying to work up some excitement for this but after Unity so far I'm failing.

Victory: We promise not to gently caress it up this time, really.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I for once will not be there day one. Maybe day 81 or something.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

yeah i bought unity like a week ago finally and havent hit any bad glitches, also they fixed all the companion app bullshit so its not mandatory(or even mentioned as far as i can tell)

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'm still on board and will probably buy Victory because I'm pathetically invested in this series.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

man nurse posted:

I'm still on board and will probably buy Victory because I'm pathetically invested in this series.

Victory will probably not suck. It's been the pattern lately, even numbered games are good and Victory is AC 6.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Skoll posted:

Victory will probably not suck. It's been the pattern lately, even numbered games are good and Victory is AC 6.

So...like Star Trek movies then (before the reboot at least.)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

So...like Star Trek movies then (before the reboot at least.)

Even-number theory still works fine in retrospect since Into Darkness makes the 2009 Star Trek look masterful. And of course counting Galaxy Quest.

I wonder what the Galaxy Quest of the AC series will be.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I loving hate Ubisoft and Unity was Ubisoft garbage to maximum but goddamn if that grappling hook mechanic (greatest thing you can add to ANY game) pays off and Victorian England looks good without graphical fuckups then I might be interested. That is presuming Ubisoft actually learned anything from Unity's meltdown but who even knows, since this game is coming only a year after Unity.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ten bucks says Victory and Unity were in somewhat parallel development and Victory is going to be slightly less broken but broken in the same ways.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Even-number theory still works fine in retrospect since Into Darkness makes the 2009 Star Trek look masterful. And of course counting Galaxy Quest.

Shadow of Mordor.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Kibayasu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnk15Wf6xMU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Shadow of Mordor.

Shadow of Mordor was loving awesome except for the bossfights quick time events.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Kibayasu posted:

Already been out for a while: The Saboteur.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Orv posted:

Ten bucks says Victory and Unity were in somewhat parallel development and Victory is going to be slightly less broken but broken in the same ways.

Turn the crowds down and get the god drat frame rate up to at least 30...

...is what they won't do because they're morons. I made it through Unity but god drat it was a slideshow and those massive numbers of NPCs were worth it maybe once, and even then it was just visually. Has anyone mentioned that Ubi's staking their entire holiday on this one game?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I can't imagine Victorian London will be as busy as Unity's French Revolution. The streets are more cramped, dirty and probably full of orphans. Not revolutionaries.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I can't imagine Victorian London will be as busy as Unity's French Revolution. The streets are more cramped, dirty and probably full of orphans. Not revolutionaries.

Pre-order from Gamestop now for exclusive neglected chimney sweep armor set

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

probably full of orphans.
"Hup! Ho ho! Hey!"

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Watch_Dogs is supposedly set in the modern day setting of Assassin's Creed. You even kill a character from Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag during Watch_Dogs.

Yeah they cross over but what I mean is you're not doing the game-within-a-game thing because Abstergo only "makes" (ie. "is the framing story for") Assassin's Creed games.

Although... you could make a case for Far Cry 3 being an Abstergo game, with all the guide books(? or whatever they are) lying around the office in Rogue.

TheScott2K posted:

...is what they won't do because they're morons. I made it through Unity but god drat it was a slideshow and those massive numbers of NPCs were worth it maybe once, and even then it was just visually. Has anyone mentioned that Ubi's staking their entire holiday on this one game?

They're not total morons, turning down the crowds was the first thing they tried and it made no difference. Whatever they did to make the streets so busy is one of the things that actually works like it's supposed to.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 8, 2015

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

man nurse posted:

Same.

Same!!!!!!!!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zedd posted:

Already been out for a while: The Saboteur.

I'd go tits up without me smokes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

upgrade your potato, Unity ran fine

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

upgrade your potato, Unity ran fine

Played it on the Bone which, while technically a potato, is also pretty much the target spec level for the game. The framerates were garbage.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

MinibarMatchman posted:

I loving hate Ubisoft and Unity was Ubisoft garbage to maximum but goddamn if that grappling hook mechanic (greatest thing you can add to ANY game) pays off and Victorian England looks good without graphical fuckups then I might be interested.
The AC3 DLC had a magical flying power that basically functioned like a grappling hook, and it fit so well into the gameplay of the series that I'm surprised it took them this long to implement it into an actual standalone game.

Actually, considering the way the AC games are developed, that doesn't surprise me at all.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hannibal Smith posted:

The AC3 DLC had a magical flying power that basically functioned like a grappling hook, and it fit so well into the gameplay of the series that I'm surprised it took them this long to implement it into an actual standalone game.

Actually, considering the way the AC games are developed, that doesn't surprise me at all.

It's really sad that the Tyranny of King Washington was more playable and fun than AC3 was, sans Haythan's section.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

The title and main character's name appear to have leaked; they're Assassin's Creed: Syndicate and Jacob Frye respectively.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

The title and main character's name appear to have leaked; they're Assassin's Creed: Syndicate and Jacob Frye respectively.

Weelllcoommmme to the wooooorld of tomorrrooowww, brought to you by Abstergo Industries.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Oh joy. Sounds like another white dude. At least this time he has a reason to speak with a British accent.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Ubisoft will only make spin-offs about people who aren't white dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

So I've skipped AC for the past few years and picked up Black Flag for $5. Holy poo poo. It's like RDR but with boats instead of horses.

It makes me want to play Rogue when I'm finished but no one can convince me that the arctic is more compelling than the loving Caribbean.

HaitianDivorce posted:

Pre-order from Gamestop now for exclusive neglected chimney sweep armor set

You joke but that actually sounds loving awesome.

• Locked thread