Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
On a semi related note...

This staff deployment is not helping :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

xaarman posted:

Can you explain any of this?

Okay looks like a lot of hiring in happening!

What does this have to do with staff deployments (what is that)
What airline is this?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Captain Apollo posted:

What airline is this?

Delta, look at the wings. He's saying to go from military into a shiny new preowned 717 he needs on average 3100 hrs military time or 4500 hrs combined military/post military civilian hours. That is a fuckton of hours. You do not get a fuckton of hours in a staff position.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
So what. It's Delta! Aren't all pilots supposed to go regionals first?!?!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The traditional path was military or regional.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Is there an average count as to how many hours pilots exit the military with? I'd imagine it varies by branch, number of years, etc.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is there an average count as to how many hours pilots exit the military with? I'd imagine it varies by branch, number of years, etc.

Platform is a big factor. If you're a P-3 or C-130 or KC-whatever guy, you're probably getting 6-8 hours per flight. If you're a jet or helo guy you're lucky to hit 2.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

hobbesmaster posted:

The traditional path was military or regional.

There were some military guys in my ground school, a few of them actually were still active duty air guard.

In other news I started IOE this week, O'Hare wasn't as scary as I thought it was going to be. I'm still confused by the several hundred miles of taxiways though, and we got the penalty box for coming in early on our last leg :wtc:

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

What airline is this?

It's a graph of who's been hired since they started back up their pipeline.

Staff deployments means I'm sitting on my rear end mastering PowerPoint and not accumulating any hours

As previously pointed out, It's Delta

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

It depends. The averages are posted, but my friend was hired with 2400 hours TT, 1400 PIC, and 1100 Instructor hours. All high performance multi engine turbine time.

Rule of thumb for immediate competition is 3000 hours, 1000-1500 TPIC. 2000 TT for fighter guys. Right now they are taking all Tier 1 applicants (3500+ TT, 1000 hours instructor time, Safety school, Evaluators, etc) but that pool is starting to dry up.

Most guys who are leaving after their initial commitment have 2500-3500 hours with some variation of that above. We also log time differently (TO to LDG only, no taxi time included) so most airlines give us a multiplier... typically .3 per sortie.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 8, 2015

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
On Sunday I'm going to be taking over a plane that's in Canada and I have no experience with any sort of Canadian airspace experience. Anyone have anywhere that's good to start?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
My employer just told our union that they want the pilot group to take concessions (the pay cuts alone would be about 10% less than our current contract, on top of cuts in benefits), in exchange for not parking 20% of our fleet when the leases expire in a couple of years.

This comes about two weeks after our parent company announced record quarterly earnings, and in the middle of meetings that could result in 50% of our bases being shut down (less than three years after they opened) so to say that the pilot group is going to be pissed is probably an understatement.

Given that there are regionals with one year upgrades and flow agreements out there, I'm kind of curious how our management plans on drawing new hires to an airline with 7 year upgrades, no jets, no flow, an aging fleet, and a pay scale and benefits that are just as bad as everyone else in the industry,

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 8, 2015

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Just met a German private pilot. He asked how much I charged to give flying lessons. He scoffed at the amount.

He said he pays his flight instructor 6 dollars an hour in Germany.

I asked him what minimum wage was. "8.50"

He didn't seem to think it was odd he was paying a flight instructor less than minimum wage. What the ???

Can anybody confirm or deny? I thought the UK and Australia were similar to us in the USA. How did the Germans get it so wrong?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Stupid Post Maker posted:

On Sunday I'm going to be taking over a plane that's in Canada and I have no experience with any sort of Canadian airspace experience. Anyone have anywhere that's good to start?

It can't be THAT different...just do what the controllers tell you to do, right?

Unless they use meters for stuff. That just ain't right.

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

Can anybody confirm or deny? I thought the UK and Australia were similar to us in the USA. How did the Germans get it so wrong?

I paid my flight instructors £36/hour in the UK. Sounds like he got a pretty good deal.

Kawachi
Sep 16, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

You guys would be much better off than us down here.

A 172 / PA-28 is probably around the $270/hr private hire, $300/hr solo, $350/hr dual mark these days :stonk:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Kawachi posted:

You guys would be much better off than us down here.

A 172 / PA-28 is probably around the $270/hr private hire, $300/hr solo, $350/hr dual mark these days :stonk:

It's a little more than this in Austria, even before considering that you have to pay for every landing including touch'n'goes to the tune of 8-25 euros.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
KCOU 090722Z AUTO 06004KT 1/4SM FG VV003 16/16 A3003 RMK AO2 T01560156
KCOU 090705Z AUTO 06004KT 3/4SM BR OVC003 16/16 A3003 RMK AO2 T01610156
KCOU 090654Z AUTO 08003KT 1/4SM FG VV003 16/16 A3003 RMK AO2 SLP165 T01610161
KCOU 090644Z AUTO 14003KT 1/4SM FG VV003 15/15 A3004 RMK AO2 T01500150
KCOU 090623Z AUTO 14003KT 1/4SM FG VV001 15/15 A3003 RMK AO2 T01500150
KCOU 090611Z AUTO 07003KT 1/4SM FG VV002 17/16 A3003 RMK AO2 T01670161

So that was a rather entertaining approach to shoot at 2 in the morning.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

xaarman posted:

It depends. The averages are posted, but my friend was hired with 2400 hours TT, 1400 PIC, and 1100 Instructor hours. All high performance multi engine turbine time.

Rule of thumb for immediate competition is 3000 hours, 1000-1500 TPIC. 2000 TT for fighter guys. Right now they are taking all Tier 1 applicants (3500+ TT, 1000 hours instructor time, Safety school, Evaluators, etc) but that pool is starting to dry up.

Most guys who are leaving after their initial commitment have 2500-3500 hours with some variation of that above. We also log time differently (TO to LDG only, no taxi time included) so most airlines give us a multiplier... typically .3 per sortie.

You can't possibly be worried about this. Hell, I'm closing in on 3k and I still have 3 years left.

If you don't have the competitive mins, just join whatever guard unit will hire you, and take a couple of deployments to the desert until you get it.

Then again, I am totally banking on affirmative action to get me to the top of the stack, so w/e.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

KodiakRS posted:

KCOU 090722Z AUTO 06004KT 1/4SM FG VV003 16/16 A3003 RMK AO2 T01560156
KCOU 090705Z AUTO 06004KT 3/4SM BR OVC003 16/16 A3003 RMK AO2 T01610156
KCOU 090654Z AUTO 08003KT 1/4SM FG VV003 16/16 A3003 RMK AO2 SLP165 T01610161
KCOU 090644Z AUTO 14003KT 1/4SM FG VV003 15/15 A3004 RMK AO2 T01500150
KCOU 090623Z AUTO 14003KT 1/4SM FG VV001 15/15 A3003 RMK AO2 T01500150
KCOU 090611Z AUTO 07003KT 1/4SM FG VV002 17/16 A3003 RMK AO2 T01670161

So that was a rather entertaining approach to shoot at 2 in the morning.

Hopefully you were part 91 unless you shot it during this report. Since it requires 1/2SM.

I get to be part 91 now and its fun to shoot an RNAV approach requiring 1SM when they are reporting 1/4 mile because the owner wants to get in. We tried, failed, and diverted.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

AWSEFT posted:

Hopefully you were part 91 unless you shot it during this report. Since it requires 1/2SM.

I get to be part 91 now and its fun to shoot an RNAV approach requiring 1SM when they are reporting 1/4 mile because the owner wants to get in. We tried, failed, and diverted.

RVR is controlling, so as long as the tower reported it above minimums they were good to pas the final approach fix. Dispatch is a whole other matter. There have been hundreds of times I've shown up at an airport with ATIS visibilities below mins and got in with RVR.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

AWSEFT posted:

Yup. Sort of. According to the METAR it was 1/4 at the time we shot the approach but both the AWOS and an actual person at the FSS located on the field were calling it 3/4 mile. Of course since we can't pull up a METAR in flight we had no way of knowing that it may have actually been lower than 3/4 mile. Not exactly the kind of thing that gives you a warm fuzzy feeling.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

Yup. Sort of. According to the METAR it was 1/4 at the time we shot the approach but both the AWOS and an actual person at the FSS located on the field were calling it 3/4 mile. Of course since we can't pull up a METAR in flight we had no way of knowing that it may have actually been lower than 3/4 mile. Not exactly the kind of thing that gives you a warm fuzzy feeling.

No ACARS or anything similar? :raise:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Butt Reactor posted:

No ACARS or anything similar? :raise:

ACARS was giving identical information to the AWOS, at least as far as visibility is concerned. Everything we had, ACARS, AWOS, FSS, were giving identical information. Not sure why the METAR on aviationweather.gov is slightly different.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Meanwhile, in crazy town:

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 13, 2015

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

KodiakRS posted:

Meanwhile, in crazy town:

Uh, wow. I know they are having trouble staffing their airline, wonder why they waited so long to do this.

Edit: Upgrade is 5-6 months with previous 121 and they are starting a street captain program.

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 13, 2015

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The conceit... its just...

:psyboom:

edit: Also note the bit of arrogance a the end - how they "can engage in discussions with both AAG and PSA to produce positive outcome" - note how Envoy is not even included in that discussion. I am really hoping this is a fake.

Animal fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 13, 2015

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

xaarman posted:

Sweet. In my community not even the WTI Lieutenant Colonel types have that many hours. There goes that dream.

Shoulda joined the goddamn Air Force.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Bob A Feet posted:

Shoulda joined the goddamn Air Force.

Xaarman is in the Air Force

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Captain Apollo posted:

Xaarman is in the Air Force

Me. I shoulda.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Okay I won't be so shadowy here. Maybe I'm Misunderstanding

If Xaarman is complaining about low hours, and he's an Air Force pilot, then why do you think joining the Air Force would have helped?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Holy poo poo Kodiak, that is just...wow...:staredog:

also, I'm ORD-based for the next several months so we should grab a beer sometime and bitch about work.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

Captain Apollo posted:

Okay I won't be so shadowy here. Maybe I'm Misunderstanding

If Xaarman is complaining about low hours, and he's an Air Force pilot, then why do you think joining the Air Force would have helped?

Because a Lt Col is a guy who has been in for 15-ish years and doesn't even have enough hours. Although xaar is a bit short, at least he's in the ballpark and has only been in for like half that time. I've only been in 1 year longer and I'm at the average already. Air Force tends to get a lot more hours than the other branches.

He is expressing regret that he won't even be in the ballpark for a very, very long time because he's not AF.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Isn't that 100% airframe though? If you want an airline job afterwards to get the hours wouldn't you have to fly a 707, P-3/8, C-17, C-130 or C-5?

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Isn't that 100% airframe though? If you want an airline job afterwards to get the hours wouldn't you have to fly a 707, P-3/8, C-17, C-130 or C-5?

Nope. Ran into a new Delta guy who flew F18s.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

hobbesmaster posted:

True that not all airframes are created equal. However, all that stuff falls under "multi-engine turbine" time and that's what counts.

Though I heard F18 pilots have some extra work to do to get experience in non centerline thrust aircraft. Dunno if that's true.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I was merely referring to be hours requirement, but F-18 pilots making enough hours makes sense. Probably also goes for anything else that would patrol over *random desert country*

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

The standards for single pilot fighter guys are a bit lower, the airlines know you guys don't accumulate hours as much as the fat guys do. Rumor has it 2,000 hours is the golden mark, but less is accepted (as long as you have your ATP.)

There are three rules for the Air Force:

1) Better lucky then good
2) Timing is everything
3) There is no justice

Once you've accepted that, life becomes a lot easier. Rekinom's career path gets him a lot of flight hours... mine not so much. I flew a heavy that did bare minimum flying unless deployed. I then went to a teaching job where we fly 2-4 hours a day, 1-3x a week. It's a lot of fun, but the hours are crawling. Now, as I rot (sun tan) in Tampa, I get 0 hours at a desk job. Currently at 2100TT with 700 TPIC, which ain't gonna move until the end of the year.

But as you all know, it's frustrating to not be doing anything to get to your end goal. 80% of the AF pilots I know would separate instantly if they could smoothly slide into a Major airline.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 15, 2015

Poise
Jul 28, 2006
Navy test pilot, still sitting just short of 2k hours :[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
edit: wrong thread

• Locked thread