Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The cafepress stuff is probably negligible. If they were making serious money from merch like that, they wouldn't have a cafepress store. I'm guessing the book deal gave Sig a pretty penny though. The coffee too, depending on how that worked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

:lol: how old is that picture of Edgar?

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I wanna meet the person who hangs up a $40 picture of Edgar Hansen in their house. Then just kinda look at it with them while drinking some coffee I guess.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gazaar posted:

I wanna meet the person who hangs up a $40 picture of Edgar Hansen in their house. Then just kinda look at it with them while drinking some coffee I guess.

That Edgar, man, whenever something goes wrong, life throws a hose gasket from the port main, I just says to mahself, what would Edgar do? And I fix it up right and get back to work I tell you whut. *sips coffee*

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Gazaar posted:

You can get photos of the whole crew.

The description on Jake Anderson's though: "The one and only" :laffo:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Wow, Eliot's even more of a oval office than normal in this episode. And that's saying something for the dangerous, loud-mouthed, junkie shitwit.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Wow, Eliot's even more of a oval office than normal in this episode. And that's saying something for the dangerous, loud-mouthed, junkie shitwit.

yeah I couldn't believe he was actually saying the guy broke his arm on purpose because he wanted to go home.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I just started watching the new season of deadliest catch, what in the christ is with the terrible hip hop song in the beginning? So awful. The whole stealing cape caution was pretty funny though.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
How does Elliot have insurance to captain a boat? How?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

How does Elliot have insurance to captain a boat? How?

Elliot is the worst part of the show for me, not because of how he behaves necessarily, but because of the combination of how he is portrayed and how much he has succeeded doesn't seem to make any sense what so ever. Which means either the show is kind of loving with him and making him look way worse than he is (or he is playing it up for the cameras) OR the show is playing down the rest of the fleet's issues to make Elliot look unusually bad. Either way, it kind of breaks the reality of the show for me because I am left asking similar questions to yours.

The only other annoying bit about DC is the producer's weird insistence of loving with the passage of time for the sake of a weird narrative. If you listen to the captains and crew members speak about the trips, they mention their trips only days long, maybe a couple of weeks, but the narration of the show has, for as long as I can remember, insisted that nearly a week can pass between episodes or segments. (You frequently hear Mike Rowe say, "two weeks ago..." or something similar.) I take it to mean he means two episodes ago (since it lines up) but its a REALLY WEIRD way to reference past events. Instead of mentioning how long ago the event actually happened, you mention how long ago that event was aired on TV? Weird, and kind of distracting.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I would have felt like the world's shittiest person if I was in Keith's position during that crewman transfer.

I'd just feel so guilty, dude broke his arm just for trying to help.

:smith:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Keith's a demented shitbag though so he was fine. Besides, if a guy doesn't do sufficient witchcraft to ward off injury then he probably deserves it.

*taps out repetitions of rhythm on the furniture while spinning counter-clockwise in chair and imitating a female tennis player*

*punches cameraman*

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

If it had been anyone other than Freddy that got blasted he would have been yelling and screaming at him to get back out there dammit.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I fukken love Freddy so much.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
That wave slammed him hard too. Wanting to go back out immediately and jumping in the water after that walrus in a previous season pretty much confirms the dude's legitimately crazy.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
I was pretty sure Freddie was going to cover himself in the heart-blood of codfish and dive over the side to kick an Inuit Sea God's rear end to save the fleet from the super storm. Might still happen I guess.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Freddie's a loving idiot.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

yeah is everyone forgetting how big of a psychopath bully rear end in a top hat Freddie is?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Photex posted:

yeah is everyone forgetting how big of a psychopath bully rear end in a top hat Freddie is?

I actually did halfway forget just how badly they bullied that one greenhorn, what was it. Last season?

The Wizard is full of dicks.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

Smelly posted:

I actually did halfway forget just how badly they bullied that one greenhorn, what was it. Last season?

The Wizard is full of dicks.

To be fair he was being a giant pussy for not cutting his hair for crew morale.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, goddamn pussy, not giving in to abuse by a gang of thugs who wanted him to radically alter his appearance for no reason other than they are cunts two steps shy of Lord of The Flies.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Overdrift posted:

To be even more fair, pretty much no other boat makes you shave your head at the threat of being verbally and possibly physically abused. The worst thing is usually bite a fish head or drink this fish blood. Which is gross but is over quickly, and then they laugh at you when you gag and spit it out because its not a big deal.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Overdrift posted:

To be fair that should have stopped at mocking him, not relentlessly ostracizing bullying him to the point of violence all of which was encouraged by the captain.

Freddie may be a prick but that poo poo started from the top.

pincky
Oct 28, 2010
So Elliots rehab didn't take. He realised it and gave his responsibilities to "some guy"??
I guess it's a step forward, that he gave the helm to someone else?

I also watched the Cornelia Marie Special and I felt sad for the druggy Son Jake.
I personally struggle with Alcohol Addiction. He is fighting with Heroin Addiction (!??)

It's all pretty hosed up. I guess the fishing industry is very prone to substance abuse....

Let's all watch this trainwreck together!!! :dance:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Freddie was a really likeable guy on the Cornelia Marie, but he got to the Wizard and became a shitbag. It doesn't help being under command of Keith The Grunting Jackass Colburn.

Also, I hope Elliot gets the help he needs, but I also hope that's the last we see of him on this show. DC's about the only "real" docu/reality show I think that's still out there (and I think that because you can't really fake what's going on in a Typhoon in the Bering Sea), but his entire saga (pardon the pun) always felt tinged with "let's see what controversy or bullshit we might be able to generate with him for drama".

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

CBJSprague24 posted:

Freddie was a really likeable guy on the Cornelia Marie, but he got to the Wizard and became a shitbag. It doesn't help being under command of Keith The Grunting Jackass Colburn.

Also, I hope Elliot gets the help he needs, but I also hope that's the last we see of him on this show. DC's about the only "real" docu/reality show I think that's still out there (and I think that because you can't really fake what's going on in a Typhoon in the Bering Sea), but his entire saga (pardon the pun) always felt tinged with "let's see what controversy or bullshit we might be able to generate with him for drama".

It's almost like Freddie takes on a bit of the persona of the captain he's with. He was great on the Cornelia.

I agree with you on Elliott. From the moment he started on the show his air time has been more about his ex than the crab fishing. I think this is the first season where you actually got to see someone from his crew besides his dad. At least that's how it feels.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

gently caress Keith for trying to tell Josh how to run his boat and that he is doing it all wrong.

I gotta feel for Josh, constantly being told how your dad did things isn't the best way to get your point across.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Photex posted:

gently caress Keith for trying to tell Josh how to run his boat and that he is doing it all wrong.

I gotta feel for Josh, constantly being told how your dad did things isn't the best way to get your point across.

At the same time, the people telling him this are doing so because they know him well enough to know that he is completely unqualified to either run a boat or be a crab fishing captain. The dude was a green as gently caress deckhand for half of his career and then his dad died. If he fucks up, people can get hurt or die, and he can end up in debt he will never be able to pay. Josh isn't in a position to worry about his pride or ego because he hasn't really earned that yet. His dad dying doesn't suddenly make him a competent professional crabsman with a bunch of experience. At this point Jake Anderson would probably be better.

Rejecting help because you have something to prove makes a great story, but so does a ship crashing and burning (figuratively or literally), which is probably why that subplot was paired with the Saga and Elliot story. He's going no where fast if he doesn't except help from people. Thankfully he's at least smart enough to have a real captain on his boat while they fish.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I think it was a genuine offer from Keith but Josh did have a point; he's being conservative while he gets his footing. But I think Josh learned a lot from the first go-around with the CM after Phil's death; he doesn't want a repeat of the Murray situation. Remember THAT guy? And how Josh and Jake royally screwed that up?

I mean, unless Keith actually went with him to do the fishing, because Josh said he had never fished for that kind of crab before... and you wonder if he'd get along with Casey. I dunno.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Trying to find a replacement for the Gold Rush shows since we're inbetween seasons.

Unearthed initially looked like a good choice, but they have loving idiots hiding jars with $10,000 in hollowed out logs in the middle of the woods, they keep finding crack pipes on their property out in the middle of nowhere. Someone put traps and trip lines all over the place. It's so over the top it's close to unwatchable. I don't need drama, I just want to see dudes digging dirt and getting truffles. This other weirdo poo poo can go away.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

So Elliott Neese was using Heroin on the Saga, right? If so, how the hell does he not get stripped of his license to captain a boat?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

So Elliott Neese was using Heroin on the Saga, right? If so, how the hell does he not get stripped of his license to captain a boat?

I'm pretty sure the entire Alaskan fishing industry is built on meth.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm pretty sure the entire Alaskan fishing industry is built on meth.
It is but I'm pretty sure the average captain isn't retarded enough to actually do his drugs while on the boat, while the employees are working, with a TV production crew on board.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Crazy Ted posted:

It is but I'm pretty sure the average captain isn't retarded enough to actually do his drugs while on the boat, while the employees are working, with a TV production crew on board.

Elliot is far from your average captain. It's a shame really because you can see that there's a smart guy underneath all the creepy and douchiness.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Smelly posted:

Elliot is far from your average captain. It's a shame really because you can see that there's a smart guy underneath all the creepy and douchiness.
You could tell he was quite a special snowflake when he called Val 51 times in two days and was absolutely perplexed why he got served with a Restraining Order for that.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

I figured he was doing meth or cocaine. Wouldn't heroin have knocked him on his rear end as opposed to him jumping around the deck like a dumbass? He mentioned heroin before, but that was off boat.

I can understand Jake Anderson's frustration a bit, what with one young captain being a druggie who can't stay sober for a single trip, and another young captain with zero experience and less than half the time at sea as him getting a massive boat after scrounging cash from every corner possible (including probably donations I am guessing), but drat he needs to learn to control his emotions a bit better.

Josh Harris is so not ready that it is really kind of amazing, and almost sad. He is just not prepared to be running a boat at all

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

Josh Harris is so not ready that it is really kind of amazing, and almost sad. He is just not prepared to be running a boat at all
But at least he hired someone to act as the actual captain and teach him.

Jake Anderson really needs to lighten up, or he's going to have a stroke the first full day he runs his own boat.

I figured Neese was actually doing heroin on the boat because of that one shot where he's with his dad and he's basically passing out right there on the deck.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

There was also the year Jake went to the other boat to train under the captain who promptly didn't teach him a thing, made the whole crew resent him, and soured his relationship with Sig for a while. Basically the opposite of Casey trying to teach Josh how to run a boat.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

There was also the year Jake went to the other boat to train under the captain who promptly didn't teach him a thing, made the whole crew resent him, and soured his relationship with Sig for a while. Basically the opposite of Casey trying to teach Josh how to run a boat.
The crew on that boat was a bunch of spectacular assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Coast Guard boarding the Cape Caution and the ensuing cranking up of the heat to make them get off quickly was a fun trick.

Even better was the USCG guys knew it was coming, saying some guys start smoking AND crank the heat to get the guys to get done as fast as they can.

• Locked thread