Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Typically good TN will have good viewing angles in one direction and somewhat less good in the other.

IPS will have "shimmer".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Schmoli posted:

I just got the FHD (non touch) model, currently booted to a ubuntu usb cloning the m.2 so I'm not sure if I can programatically check but judging by how beautiful this thing is and the wonderful viewing angles I'd be surprised if it is NOT an IPS... any idea on a surefire way to check?

You could always look up the specs. It's an IPS panel.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8983/dell-xps-13-review

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

Hadlock posted:

Have you used excel with a 1366x768 screen? Option 1 would make me nervous. I guess if you're plugging it in to an external 1080p screen at the office it's less of a concern though. 1366x768 is the worst resolution screen you can buy these days.

I wouldn't worry about the warranty on a T430 a whole lot unless you have a history of damaging your objects

Well I've been toying with buying an actual screen for when Im at home and just plugging it into that when I really need the bigger workspace, but the problem is no other T-series or Latitude series are really in my price range that have anything above the 1366x768 screen, either at 14in or 15in. Refurb or otherwise.

Like what would be the lowest-end refurb Lenovo or Dell Latitude that as a bigger screen than 1366x768, and has a decent processor? Oh and that isnt $1,000+

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 7, 2015

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

CharlesM posted:

You could always look up the specs. It's an IPS panel.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8983/dell-xps-13-review

Oh I wasn't even the person wondering, someone else asked and said dell's website didn't have the info.... I do remember reading that review now but had just forgotten. Either way -- beautiful screen.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I would highly suggest getting a fourth generation haswell i5 processor. Battery life is pretty much doubled for most models compared to the Ivy Bridge versions. Also don't get a TN panel unless it's the MacBook Air.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

tesilential posted:

I would highly suggest getting a fourth generation haswell i5 processor. Battery life is pretty much doubled for most models compared to the Ivy Bridge versions. Also don't get a TN panel unless it's the MacBook Air.

In Canada you've just upped his price to $1000.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

According to Dell's website it is "IGZO2 IPS panel, providing a wide viewing angle of up to 170°."

IGZO2 if hawt technology, it has way lower battery usage than normal IPS screens and I don't think even Apple uses them yet (yeild isn't high enough for a customer like Apple). XPS 13 is a pretty baller package, hard to beat.

Melian Dialogue posted:

Well I've been toying with buying an actual screen for when Im at home and just plugging it into that when I really need the bigger workspace, but the problem is no other T-series or Latitude series are really in my price range that have anything above the 1366x768 screen, either at 14in or 15in. Refurb or otherwise.

Have you looked at ebay? Tons of T430's with 1600x900 screens in the $400 range.

You should definitely go ahead and buy a 22" 1080p screen to go with your laptop, it makes a HUGE difference in your productivity. They're like $100 shipped, name brand displays, from any major retailer on sale.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Hadlock posted:

IGZO2 if hawt technology, it has way lower battery usage than normal IPS screens and I don't think even Apple uses them yet (yeild isn't high enough for a customer like Apple). XPS 13 is a pretty baller package, hard to beat.

I remember reading somewhere that Dell had gotten an exclusive deal on those panels. Let me see if I can find the article again

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Hadlock posted:

According to Dell's website it is "IGZO2 IPS panel, providing a wide viewing angle of up to 170°."

Have you looked at ebay? Tons of T430's with 1600x900 screens in the $400 range.

You should definitely go ahead and buy a 22" 1080p screen to go with your laptop, it makes a HUGE difference in your productivity. They're like $100 shipped, name brand displays, from any major retailer on sale.

Huh, thanks. Could have sworn I looked up and down Dell's website and didn't find it. Looks like I know what I'm saving up for!

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
I have an elderly friend of the family who would like a new laptop. Her vision isn't so good anymore, so she needs a larger screen. She would only use it for facebook, email, and occasionally youtube/netflix. What is the largest screen, cheapest laptop out there? Like I said, no games or anything intensive like that beyond maybe solitaire.

What is a good cheap laptop that would fit those specs? I was thinking an Acer Chromebook 13.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

captain innocuous posted:

Her vision isn't so good anymore, so she needs a larger screen
I was thinking an Acer Chromebook 13.

I was thinking an Acer Chromebook 13.

Acer Chromebook 13.

There are tons of $399 15.6" laptops with 1366x768 screens

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
There's also an Acer Chromebook 15.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009

I went with those one. Thanks.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

Hadlock posted:

Yeah good point about Ebay. Any advice when buying laptops from Ebay? I'm a little wary about it, but the T430 with the 1600x900 screen looks pretty good to go.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Melian Dialogue posted:

Yeah good point about Ebay. Any advice when buying laptops from Ebay?

Don't even consider buying from anyone with less than 99.8% positive feedback and they should take very good care of you. Most refurb Thinkpads on ebay are sold by the same eight or nine guys and they have solid gold reputations for a reason with thousands of transactions under their belt. My experiences buying electronics from those sorts of guys has always been very positive, but there's always the chance you'll end up as one of those 0.2% that gets a crappy deal.

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy
Would this fellow be one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Dell-X...=item4ae80e15c5

Out looking for a laptop myself now and deciding between the two big ones mentioned a lot, the XPS 13 and T450.

Is about $850-900 refurbished for the i5 256gb XPS 13 about as cheap as I'll likely see it in the next couple months, or have there been bigger sales cropping up now and then - i.e. bite the bullet or hold my horses?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Just want to say I was setting up an HP Stream 11 for my sister-in-law that I got for about $190 with a student discount (also came with $25 Windows Store gift card and 1-year sub to Office 365) and the screen on it is significantly better than the one on the 2015 Dell Chromebook. Crazy. I was really surprised to see that Windows 8.1 is super snappy on it too. If it came in a matte black color, I'd probably get one over a Chromebook.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Hadlock posted:

Don't even consider buying from anyone with less than 99.8% positive feedback and they should take very good care of you. Most refurb Thinkpads on ebay are sold by the same eight or nine guys and they have solid gold reputations for a reason with thousands of transactions under their belt. My experiences buying electronics from those sorts of guys has always been very positive, but there's always the chance you'll end up as one of those 0.2% that gets a crappy deal.

This. Just buy one that has the specs you want and doesn't have a BIOS password from a reputable seller. Get ready to maybe have to clean some stickers off the lid, and I like to sterilize any used electronics as best I can but other than that you should be good.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bolt Crank posted:

Would this fellow be one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Dell-X...=item4ae80e15c5

Out looking for a laptop myself now and deciding between the two big ones mentioned a lot, the XPS 13 and T450.

Is about $850-900 refurbished for the i5 256gb XPS 13 about as cheap as I'll likely see it in the next couple months, or have there been bigger sales cropping up now and then - i.e. bite the bullet or hold my horses?

I doubt you'll see an XPS 13 like that for under $825 this year I would go for it. He only has a 99.7% approval rating, 8 negative feedback out of 3223 feedback, that's a little over 1 in 400 chance of a negative experience.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
What are the sexiest looking chromebooks? I'm looking for small form factor, ultra minimal, and a great display.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

Above Our Own posted:

What are the sexiest looking chromebooks? I'm looking for small form factor, ultra minimal, and a great display.

Smaller than 13? The Toshiba Chromebook 2 has a beautiful 1080p screen and super tiny. I got one for my Dad and myself and am sending my mom mine since I just grabbed the xps 13... and the only reason I did that is I have way too much video from a vacation and I want to be able to edit w/o being stuck in my office.

And it looks pretty good if you can get over the fact that it's just plastic (but looks metallic).

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Above Our Own posted:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Above Our Own posted:

Second generation Chromebook Pixel. No contest.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
I'm about to go on 20 hour flight to South-East Asian and was looking at picking this up:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50/

Lenovo Y50-70 Laptop - 59440646 - Black: Web Special for $879

or should i go something a bit smaller

Lenovo Y40-80 Laptop - 80FA0017US - Black: Weekly Deal for $929

as I'm scared its going to be to huge in my airplane seat and I would like to have something powerful enough to use afterwards.

Any other suggestions?

It doesn't have to be a "Gaming" machine as I already have a primary PC setting at home.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Not if you install ChromeOS on one of these bad boys:

surc
Aug 17, 2004

So... what model is this an image of?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's the Pixel. You can tell by the strange aspect ratio.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
So, I bought a new Thinkpad T440 today to replace my Toshiba Satellite c655. I have an SSD on the Satellite that's only about a year old, and still would (theoretically) have plenty of miles on it. I'd like to replace the 500GB HD on the new Thinkpad with the SSD.

They both have Windows 7 (I believe--I know the old one does). Even if they didn't, I don't mind using whatever OS the Thinkpad needs. Mostly, I'd like to use my SSD because it works well, and probably is faster than the HD.

So I guess I could like just make a back-up of whatever critical stuff I have on the SSD that I want to keep (which I can do easily), wipe it, and then just install it like a new drive, and move the backed-up stuff back over?

The salesperson at the store where I picked up the Thinkpad mentioned something about using Acronis to clone the drive over, and while I think I could do that, as I'm looking at the Acronis site I just feel totally lost. Anyway, is there a good way to go about this?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Macrium Reflect is the way I clone the drives. Piece of cake, you will need a USB to SATA adapter ($5-10) though

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla
Bob Morales, just wanted to let you know I'm still interested in taking that Lenovo off your hands whenever

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Samsung Chromebook 2 is pretty sexy, the 13" model runs with a mediocre 108pp screen. Anemic ARM based CPU, though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

GeauxSteve posted:

Bob Morales, just wanted to let you know I'm still interested in taking that Lenovo off your hands whenever
I sold the T430 but I put the T440 up for sale as well - SA-mart

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Above Our Own posted:

The Toshiba Chromebook 2 looks like a 13" MacBook Air but it has a 1080p IPS display and runs a fanless bay trail Celeron. It's arguably the best Chromebook you can buy next to the Pixel. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-13-3-chromebook-2-intel-celeron-4gb-memory-16gb-solid-state-drive-silver/8790147.p?id=1219370473818&

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla

Bob Morales posted:

I sold the T430 but I put the T440 up for sale as well - SA-mart

Oh sweet. Just posted.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Bob Morales posted:

Macrium Reflect is the way I clone the drives. Piece of cake, you will need a USB to SATA adapter ($5-10) though

Would you pretend I'm a complete idiot (a big leap) and either send me to a tutorial of some kind or write out the basic steps of how to use it? This kind of thing is like white noise in my head, and I have to look at the whole process ten times before it starts to make sense.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
We are buying a laptop (and printer) for our niece, who is turning 13 and needs to turn in assignments or do research on wikipedia and whatever. The family has no other computer, only phones and Android tablets.

What do kids that age need / want ? She has a 7" tablet alreay so I'm not sure a convertible / touchscreen is necessary, but other than that I'm at a loss... My wife was thinking something pink like everything else the kid owns, but I think that in 3 years she might still be using the laptop and will have outgrown the pink phase.
No need for gaming either I guess, the various consoles in the house cover that.

Budget is 500-750$ for the laptop. Samsung laptops are not available here, everything else is.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Spatule posted:

We are buying a laptop (and printer) for our niece, who is turning 13 and needs to turn in assignments or do research on wikipedia and whatever. The family has no other computer, only phones and Android tablets.

What do kids that age need / want ? She has a 7" tablet alreay so I'm not sure a convertible / touchscreen is necessary, but other than that I'm at a loss... My wife was thinking something pink like everything else the kid owns, but I think that in 3 years she might still be using the laptop and will have outgrown the pink phase.
No need for gaming either I guess, the various consoles in the house cover that.

Budget is 500-750$ for the laptop. Samsung laptops are not available here, everything else is.

Since it sounds like it's not going to be used for much, why not the HP Stream 11? Comes in pink, is perfectly adequate for schoolwork. No need to spend that much money imo

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

TopherCStone posted:

Since it sounds like it's not going to be used for much, why not the HP Stream 11? Comes in pink, is perfectly adequate for schoolwork. No need to spend that much money imo

Disagree to be honest. Your recommendation will accomplish what she 'needs' but why not get something with a little more beef thatll last longer and do a little more so she can grow into it?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have a Surface Pro 2 in great shape I'm looking to sell for ~500 shipped with type cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

The Dave posted:

I have a Surface Pro 2 in great shape I'm looking to sell for ~500 shipped with type cover.

Would do that in a heartbeat tbh