Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Listening to Kumail Nanjiani's Beta Male, and on the track "VCR", he totally steals a bit from the classic 1992 Jake Johannsen special This'll Take About an Hour:

Jake Johannsen posted:

Then I tried to fix the toaster, which... I don't know why I thought I could fix a toast... it was a guy thing, I thought I, you know. "I'm a guy, I can fix it! I'm bigger than it!" So I go right for the screws on the bottom, and they know that's right where you're going 'cause they put that warning on: "Don't take these screws out!". Obviously, that's for someone else [whistles, mimics opening toaster]. Get the toaster open and I, I realize I have no idea what I was hoping to find in there, it's like a shoelace is untied maybe I could fix that. Snowman with his hat blown off... "Let me get that for little fella!" [mimics putting a hat on a tiny snowman] "That must've been it."

Kumail Nanjiani posted:

So I lift the cover off, and the tape is buried under layers and lay... I don't know what I was expecting. Like I'd just be able to get the tape right out, there'd be like a little, like, snowman. "Here's the tape you wanted!" Like, "Thank you, this has been wonderful! Here's your hat...."

What do you think: thievery, homage or coincidence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Listening to Kumail Nanjiani's Beta Male, and on the track "VCR", he totally steals a bit from the classic 1992 Jake Johannsen special This'll Take About an Hour:

Unconscious thievery. Likely he heard it twenty years ago, then when independently coming up with his own walkman bit or whatever he's talking about, uses some iconography that his brain pulled up from the past.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

FitFortDanga posted:

That sounds a bit like an homage. The image of the snowman is so unusual that I can't imagine it's a coincidence but I'd like to think it's on purpose.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FitFortDanga posted:

As I read it, the snowman is an homage. He's not saying that fixing the tape is harder than putting a hat on a snowman, it's more like the snowman is his helper and he's thanking it with the hat, the snowman being the original comic, and the reference being the hat.

Like a rapper quoting a hook, basically.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea the bits are different conceptually, Johannsen's bit was 'I actually can't handle this but can't back out now, maybe it'll be a simpler job like helpling a magic snow man get his hat back instead' and Kumail's is 'I had no clue what I'm even doing here, I was just doing what I assumed the right thing was'. The snowman and hat bit was probably more a homage than a rip off like 'ha ha if you get the reference we both like the same dude who had a similar act'.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea the bits are different conceptually, Johannsen's bit was 'I actually can't handle this but can't back out now, maybe it'll be a simpler job like helpling a magic snow man get his hat back instead' and Kumail's is 'I had no clue what I'm even doing here, I was just doing what I assumed the right thing was'. The snowman and hat bit was probably more a homage than a rip off like 'ha ha if you get the reference we both like the same dude who had a similar act'.

The snowman part of Kumail's bit literally doesn't make sense if you didn't know the other bit.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Shovelbearer posted:

Saw Maria Bamford, Margaret Cho, Jackie Kashian and Kate Willett last night. Maria is my favorite in the world and was great as always. I had a stretch where I was kind of down on Margaret Cho but she was pretty funny. Jackie Kashian was hilarious. Kate Williett was ok. Trip report over.
Did Bamford do any new stuff?

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Al! posted:

The snowman part of Kumail's bit literally doesn't make sense if you didn't know the other bit.

I can confirm this. I've never heard the earlier bit and, to me, that was a throwaway part of a larger bit. To me the payoff was the guy he took the VCR to at the end of the bit.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

Illinois Smith posted:

Did Bamford do any new stuff?

Yep. Last year I saw her on the last show before she recorded Ask Me About My New God. This show, I mean I wasn't timing it but it felt like about 45 minutes and I'd say 80% of it was stuff I'd never heard before. She had a new bit I really loved about a hyper-confident/macho male comic that kind of felt like a follow-up piece to her "Oh, yeah, if I was doing comedy I'd just make something like Seinfeld and then just fuckin' coast." bit. I don't want to give away too much of the content of it because I'm sure you'll hear it at some point, but it had that same kind of feel, except about a guy who actually already is in comedy. It was all great. Not sure if she "officially" has a new album coming soon but it seems like she's getting close to having enough top-shelf material for a new one before long. She seriously did maybe two bits I'd heard before.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Caught Hannibal on Monday and Rob Delaney on Saturday. Hannibal crushed it and I would highly recommend seeing him if you get the chance. Delaney was good. I've never loved his standup, but I got free tickets. I will say that I liked what he did that night a lot more than his last special (Live at the Beacon?) and, overall, would say he's worth seeing.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

XIII posted:

Caught Hannibal on Monday and Rob Delaney on Saturday. Hannibal crushed it and I would highly recommend seeing him if you get the chance. Delaney was good. I've never loved his standup, but I got free tickets. I will say that I liked what he did that night a lot more than his last special (Live at the Beacon?) and, overall, would say he's worth seeing.

I saw Jen Kirkman last weekend and she killed it. I'd never seen her stand-up, but I enjoy her podcast etc. I'm pretty excited to see her next special now.

Next weekend: Christina Pazsitzky :D

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

ChickenArise posted:

I saw Jen Kirkman last weekend and she killed it. I'd never seen her stand-up, but I enjoy her podcast etc. I'm pretty excited to see her next special now.

Next weekend: Christina Pazsitzky :D

I saw Jen Kirkman on Friday. She was great. Rhys Darby will be at the same theatre in a couple of weeks. I can't wait.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

This week's Humble Bundle is a bunch of stand-up specials from Marc Maron, Bill Hicks, Doug Stanhope, Brooks Wheelan, Iliza Schlesinger, Brian Posehn and Dr. Katz. And you can get Andy Haynes' new album at the bottom for just your email. About half of these are on Netflix though.

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly...0373e-132448489

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE
Well, looks like Patton Oswalt decided to be a vindictive prick on Twitter once again.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
He was already kind of a dick and everyone just gets worse as they age. How bad is it?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mst3kmann posted:

Well, looks like Patton Oswalt decided to be a vindictive prick on Twitter once again.

Wanna give any context to this or what

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Somebody gave him poo poo over a transphobic joke on Veep. He pointed out he didn't write the joke, and that his character is supposed to be a dickhead. Somebody asked him why bother to address a concern from somebody with so few followers, and accused him of attention seeking, he basically told the guy he was an rear end in a top hat. It should be noted that both him and the initial questioner seemed to be fine with one another by the end of the discussion. It was just the one guy who was still salty. I don't think he came off vindictive. Defensive, maybe.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Mst3kmann posted:

Oh I bet this is good, he's always-

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Somebody gave him poo poo over a transphobic joke on Veep. He pointed out he didn't write the joke, and that his character is supposed to be a dickhead. Somebody asked him why bother to address a concern from somebody with so few followers, and accused him of attention seeking, he basically told the guy he was an rear end in a top hat. It should be noted that both him and the initial questioner seemed to be fine with one another by the end of the discussion. It was just the one guy who was still salty. I don't think he came off vindictive. Defensive, maybe.

Oh, way more reasonable than initially stated. Now it makes sense why no context was given.

Yeah reading it, looks like the third party got upset because the whole time Patton was replying to the convo, he was adding periods before the first name so his followers could easily follow along with the point he was making. Third person got upset that because their name was part of the convo (at their own choosing to butt in) and that people were tweeting their opinions about unnecessarily starting crap on behalf of someone else. But that's twitter, everyone has an opinion until other people do too, then it's an assault, or something.

In any case, it's insanely childish to assume an actor reading lines deserves to bear the brunt of accounting for an offensive joke. If that's the case, people should be protesting outside Danny DeVito's house for the horrible stuff he says as Frank Reynolds.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 4, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Shovelbearer posted:

Yep. Last year I saw her on the last show before she recorded Ask Me About My New God. This show, I mean I wasn't timing it but it felt like about 45 minutes and I'd say 80% of it was stuff I'd never heard before. She had a new bit I really loved about a hyper-confident/macho male comic that kind of felt like a follow-up piece to her "Oh, yeah, if I was doing comedy I'd just make something like Seinfeld and then just fuckin' coast." bit. I don't want to give away too much of the content of it because I'm sure you'll hear it at some point, but it had that same kind of feel, except about a guy who actually already is in comedy. It was all great. Not sure if she "officially" has a new album coming soon but it seems like she's getting close to having enough top-shelf material for a new one before long. She seriously did maybe two bits I'd heard before.
I forgot about asking this but it's great news. I need more Bamford stand-up in my life.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I've had a solid couple weeks, stand-up wise. Saw Segura last week and Kinane twice the week before that. Both were absolutely killer. Kinane did largely different material each night and you could tell he was still working out the stuff that didn't overlap, but it was all great. Segura told the Mike Tyson and Bruce Bruce stories.

Also, I've got tickets to see Maron in July and I'm considering seeing Eddie Izzard later this month.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Amy Schumer killed on Ellen recently.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
If anyone has Showtime, they're showing a Tig Notaro documentary where she and Jon Dore traveled across the country to do stand-up sets at various fans' houses, for the fans' families and friends. They are both hilarious, and I love their camaraderie. It's more of a tour documentary than a straight stand-up special, but still very entertaining.

I scored tickets to see Tig in late May, so I'm looking forward to her more than ever.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I wish that was a miniseries and not a special. It was really good but I felt like they had a ton of great footage that they couldn't show and it ended too soon.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

ChickenArise posted:

I wish that was a miniseries and not a special. It was really good but I felt like they had a ton of great footage that they couldn't show and it ended too soon.

I thought it was a miniseries and was heart broken when I found it there would be only one.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I knew it was just a special, but now I'm depressed it wasn't a miniseries! They probably had hours of usable, hilarious footage from all those shows, plus their time traveling and screwing around. I even liked the musical acts they showed.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
I feel as though those freaking out on Twitter about Louis C.K.'s child molestation jokes on SNL would have a coronary two minutes into a Frankie Boyle show.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I feel as though those freaking out on Twitter about Louis C.K.'s child molestation jokes on SNL probably don't watch a lot of stand-up at all and would have problems with quite a few current comedians' material!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
A vinyl version of Kinane's album is coming out, and it has an extra track http://splitsider.com/2015/05/check-out-a-new-unreleased-track-from-kyle-kinanes-i-liked-his-old-stuff-better/

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Saw Tig Notaro tonight, and she was delightful, as you would expect.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
First interview with Tracy Morgan since the accident.

Glad he's not a vegetable.

Rob was taken
Mar 8, 2006
Went to Tig's HBO special taping last night. It was great. Aparna Nancherla opened. I follow her on Twitter but never got to hear much of her standup. Excited to see how she develops as a comedian.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

Rob was taken posted:

Went to Tig's HBO special taping last night. It was great. Aparna Nancherla opened. I follow her on Twitter but never got to hear much of her standup. Excited to see how she develops as a comedian.

The (multiple) end(s) to that special was amazing. Did you go to the early or late show?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Aparna just recorded an album.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

rear end Catchcum posted:

Aparna just recorded an album.

Super bummed I missed it, saw it last night on her Twitter :(

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I saw Aparna a few months back and wasn't terribly impressed. She was headlining a showcase, but her material felt half finished. That said, I'd give her album a spin to see if it changed my mind.

Rob was taken
Mar 8, 2006

Ghost Stromboli posted:

The (multiple) end(s) to that special was amazing. Did you go to the early or late show?

Late

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

JFL42 announced their lineup this week and it's pretty much insane. There are 8 headliners (Mulaney, Buress, Patton, Trevor Noah, Bill Burr, Craig Ferguson, Chris Hardwick, and Miranda Sings whatever that is) and then for the other acts you've got Al Madrigal, Kindler, Aparna, Posehn, Chris Gethard, Doug Loves Movies, Dr. Katz, Joe Mande, Pete Holmes, Kurt Braunholer, Kyle Kinane, Natasha Leggero, Moshe, etc. etc. etc. and so on.

http://jfl42.com/the42/

I'll be going again this year, probably to 15-20 shows

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

JFL42 announced their lineup this week and it's pretty much insane. There are 8 headliners (Mulaney, Buress, Patton, Trevor Noah, Bill Burr, Craig Ferguson, Chris Hardwick, and Miranda Sings whatever that is) and then for the other acts you've got Al Madrigal, Kindler, Aparna, Posehn, Chris Gethard, Doug Loves Movies, Dr. Katz, Joe Mande, Pete Holmes, Kurt Braunholer, Kyle Kinane, Natasha Leggero, Moshe, etc. etc. etc. and so on.

http://jfl42.com/the42/

I'll be going again this year, probably to 15-20 shows

same, its gonna be great. and also I have no idea what Miranda Sings is and why its headlining, even after trying to look it up

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

manyak posted:

same, its gonna be great. and also I have no idea what Miranda Sings is and why its headlining, even after trying to look it up

Youtube celebrity, it's the one that acts like an awkward person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

one thing I am glad about is that during the lead-up to the lineup announcement they were like "stand up! podcasts! youtube favorites!" and I was soooo worried that like half the fest was gonna be some Epic Meal Time poo poo. thankfully, it is not.