Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's something wrong with your link bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Goodness me, this is the PM’s senior business advisor, Maurice Newman at Loon Pond media today:

…with such little evidence, [why] does the UN insist the world spend hundreds of billions of dollars a year on futile climate change policies? Perhaps Christiana Figueres, executive secretary of the UN’s Framework on Climate Change has the answer?

In Brussels last February she said, “This is the first time in the history of mankind that we are setting ourselves the task of intentionally, within a defined period of time, to change the economic development model that has been reigning for at least 150 years since the Industrial Revolution.”

In other words, the real agenda is concentrated political authority. Global warming is the hook.

Figueres is on record saying democracy is a poor political system for fighting global warming. Communist China, she says, is the best model. This is not about facts or logic. It’s about a new world order under the control of the UN. It is opposed to capitalism and freedom and has made environmental catastrophism a household topic to achieve its objective.

Was it the PM’s rolling over on the RET that triggered this outburst from Mr Newman? It’s real X-files stuff when all you need is a bit of Occam’s Razor and reason.

To me it’s simply a balance of risks argument. Climate science is well within a compelling statistical probability of being right so it makes sense to act.

If that turns out to be wrong then we’ve paid a few bucks for some cleaner air and the UN can be ignored again.

If it turns out to be right we will have saved civilisation.

Why the mad hysteria?

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2015/05/newman-climate-change-world-plot/

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Climate change is a hoax led by the United Nations so that it can end democracy and impose authoritarian rule, according to Prime Minister Tony Abbott's chief business adviser.

Maurice Newman, the chairman of the Prime Minister's business advisory council, has written in The Australian that scientific modelling showing the link between humans and climate change is wrong and the real agenda is a world takeover for the UN.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The international Jewry conspiracy for a post WW2 generation.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

QUACKTASTIC posted:

There's something wrong with your link bro

Looks like someone is loving with the links

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That's pretty funny then

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Fears grow as apartment cladding debacle ignites

Cheaply imported aluminium cladding from Melbourne’s fire-damaged Lacrosse tower was so flammable CSIRO scientists had to abandon combustibility tests after only 93 seconds to avoid damaging their equipment.

A CSIRO report obtained by The Australian reveals that the sub-standard Alucobest cladding — suspected of also having been used in thousands of buildings nation­wide and linked with fires in large buildings around the world — sustained extensive “flaming” after 55 seconds and had to be extinguished after 93 seconds because of “excessive flaming and smoking”.

“The single sample failed the sustained flaming clause in the first minute of the test,” said the report by the CSIRO group leader of fire safety engineering Alex Webb. “The test was terminated soon after, and prior to (the required) 30 minutes, to prevent damage to our equipment.”

The tests, commissioned and financed by the Metropolitan Fire Brigade and carried out on April 1, concluded the Alucobest cladding from the Lacrosse tower — co-­developed by publisher and developer Morrie Schwartz — was combustible and failed Australian combustibility requirements that cladding have “zero” sustained flaming.

An MFB incident report into the November Lacrosse fire also reveals there have been seven high-rise apartment fires around the world directly attributed to the unsafe cladding with plastic cores, with more than seven deaths. Four high-rise towers in Dubai including The Torch — all with aluminium cladding with the plastic core — have suffered extensive damage from fires spreading up the facade of the buildings.

In France, seven people died in an 18-storey apartment complex in Roubaix, clad in similar aluminium facade as that used at the Lacrosse Tower.

In South Korea, a rapidly spreading fire in a 42-storey fire high-rise apartment complex was directly attributed again to the same sort of cladding used at Lacrosse as was a fire in a 41-storey building in Atlanta City in the US.

Of those international fires, the MFB reports say: “What is evident is the rapid and extensive vertical fire spread up and down the buildings in direct correlation with the fire (at the Lacrosse tower). Whilst the brand and make of the panels are not identified in the report, they would all appear to be of very similar ­material and construction to the material installed in the facade at the (Lacrosse building).”

CFMEU national secretary Michael O’Connor yesterday predicted an Australian worker or apartment owner would die from flammable cladding unless the issue were urgently addressed.

He said there was a growing problem of builders substituting quality products at the last moment for cheaper, dangerous, imported products to increase profits.

He also warned about companies in China selling building products such as cladding with questionable quality control and compliance certificates.

“People are going to be killed or seriously injured if something is not done about the quality control of products such as the cladding which are being imported from China,” Mr O’Connor said.

The Alucobest cladding used at Lacrosse and widely used across Australia’s booming apartment building sector contains a polyethylene, or plastic, core and does not meet Australian building code or fire safety standards.

The safer Alucobond product with a fibre core does comply with Australia’s building code and does meet fire safety, but is considerably more expensive.

It is not known how many apartment towers across Aus­tralia have used the dangerous alternative as cladding, with one industry expert describing it as the building sector’s “dirty little secret”.

Fire Protection Association chief executive Scott Williams described the issue as a “time bomb”, with tens of thousands of apartment buildings nationwide at risk of a rapidly spreading and intense fire because of the widespread use of Alucobest or similar cladding with a plastic core.

The Australian has asked Mr Schwartz if he was aware of similar sub-standard cladding having been used in any of his other ­extensive developments. He has yet to respond.

Residents of the Lacrosse tower are pursuing legal action over the use of the sub-standard cladding against the builders LU Simon, surveyors Gardner Group and the co-developers Pan Urban, owned by Mr Schwartz, and property funds manager Charter Hall.

The residents’ lawyer, Ben Hardwick from Slater and Gordon, said litigation was also being considered against others involved in the construction and ­design process.

The MFB report says labelling on the cladding from the Lacrosse building indicated it had been imported from China-based company Shanghai Huayuan New Composite Materials Co Ltd.

The CSIRO was called in to test the Lacrosse cladding as only an invasive test can determine the difference between non-compliant cladding with a plastic core and the compliant cladding with a fibre core. Otherwise they look, feel and smell exactly the same.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...872578d6ea1b519

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
You can take the psychopath out of the Immigration portfolio but you can't stop him from using kids for blackmail.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-07/morrison-announces-childcare-funding-boost-for-at-risk-children/6453516

quote:

Executive director of advocacy group The Parenthood, Jo Briskey, also welcomed the announcement. "It's great to see those children from disadvantaged families will have greater support to access high-quality early learning and care," she said. However, Ms Briskey also criticised tying the initiative to a budget measure that remains stalled in the Senate. "We don't know whether they'll go through," she said, referring to the Family Tax Benefit changes. The Government wants to cut off Family Tax Benefit Part B when a family's youngest child turns six and freeze all FTB payments for two years, measures that together would save an estimated $4.5 billion over five years. "It's really disappointing that the Government is essentially planning to rob Peter to pay Paul," Ms Briskey said. "To say to one group of parents we need to take away your parenting payments to help another group of parents access more affordable childcare, it's simply unfair."

So "Pass our stalled savings measure or screw your disadvantaged kids, and you know I'm not just using hyperbole when I say 'screw'!"

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/may/07/childcare-benefit-changes-will-hit-poorest-children-hard-researchers-warn

quote:

Expected changes in the budget to reduce benefits will fail to help people into jobs, while damaging their children’s prospects, early education experts say Thursday 7 May 2015 07.40 AEST Last modified on Thursday 7 May 2015 07.42 AEST

Restricting childcare benefits for out-of-work parents would have dire consequences for disadvantaged children and would not boost the employment rate, early education experts have warned.

So we reduce the funding that is keeping kids out of disadvantage to pay for serves to protect disadvantaged kids! What could possibly go wrong! - Noted Psycho-killer Scott 'Those kiddies aren't going to rape themselves' Morrison.

Sadistic Muppet Government.

And that's how we plan on treating all children. When it comes to indigenous Australians we are going to treat them all like children.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-08/anger-over-aboriginal-community-closures-plan/6453928

quote:

But the Indigenous advocate warned that if any communities were to eventually close, the basic question remained as to where people would have to go.

The obligation on both the federal and the state government is to ensure that people who live in remote communities are sufficiently educated to be able to live in the two cultures and are sufficiently work ready to be able to work if they leave those communities. "The critical problem for the Government is first of all to decide whether communities are going to continue or not, but then, should some communities not continue, what is going to happen to the people? If they're going to become fringe dwellers in Broome or fringe dwellers in Fitzroy Crossing or Halls Creek or wherever, their circumstances will not improve. Their educational prospects will not improve, their employment prospects will not improve. The obligation on both the Federal and the State government is to ensure that people who live in remote communities are sufficiently educated to be able to live in the two cultures and are sufficiently work ready to be able to work if they leave those communities. To do otherwise is to condemn them to a really impossible and dreadful life on the fringes of towns."

Ngarluma Yindjibarndi Foundation chief executive Evan Maloney said the consultancy plan added another unnecessary layer of bureaucracy. "They continue to try and cure problems from the top down," he said. "And how much is it all going to cost? How long will it go on before we get any actual results on the ground? Mr Maloney said there is still no clarity on how the plan would impact residents of remote communities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLxD_-R8jv0

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-08/giles-government-sweeping-aside-indigenous-people-nlc/6452998

quote:

Northern Land Council chief Joe Morrison calls for Indigenous involvement in NT development talks By Joanna Crothers Updated about an hour ago

The head of one of Australia's most powerful Indigenous bodies has accused Adam Giles's Country Liberal Party (CLP) Government of "sweeping aside" Indigenous people to develop the Northern Territory. The Northern Land Council's (NLC) chief Joe Morrison said traditional owners were not being included in conversations about developing the north, and called for a fundamental shift in the way the NT talked about economic development on Indigenous land. "There's been a dampening of our ability to understand where the Giles Government is coming from when it comes to placing Indigenous people in the frame of northern development," he said. "It just seems that Aboriginal Territorians should be swept aside and the big corporations should come in and develop the land and keep the Northern Territory economy running."

Mr Morrison said the NT and federal governments wanted to remove power from the land council. He said there was no need for a review of how to administer land. "Land administration in the Northern Territory is done by the Aboriginal land councils and we are the ones that have been charged to administer lands," Mr Morrison said. The comments come after Mr Morrison gave a polemic speech at the National Press Club where he accused the CLP Government of trying to seize back Aboriginal land. An urgent Council of Australian Governments (COAG) review of the way land was administered was ordered late last year. Mr Morrison said pushing forward with development and holding onto cultural identity was a juggling act. He said Aboriginal people had to be involved in that conversation. "Aboriginal people have got to be one of the most overly governed parts of Australian society," Mr Morrison said. "The numbers of bureaucrats and ... red tape associated with Aboriginal people is enormous and we need to unpack all of those things to allow Aboriginal people to take control of their lives."

Over governed with worsening outcomes. That's not a glowing endorsement of intervention. But that's just the NT you squeal! Yeah right.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-11/nlc-accuses-scullion-of-breaking-election-promise-on-land-rights/5961088

quote:

Northern Land Council accuses Senator Nigel Scullion of breaking election promise on land rights By the National Reporting Team's Kate Wild Updated 12 Dec 2014, 10:04am

Australia's largest Aboriginal land council has accused Minister for Aboriginal Affairs Nigel Scullion of breaking a promise that the Coalition, if it won government, would not review or amend the Land Rights Act. Holding a copy of Senator Scullion's press release, titled No changes to NT Land Rights and dated August 14, 2013, Northern Land Council (NLC) deputy chairman John Daly accused the Minister of proposing a review of land rights legislation without the consent of traditional owners. "Prior to him getting in as the Minister, this here says he wasn't going to do any reviews or anything like that without the consent of traditional owners and the land council," he said. Really there isn't, and hasn't been, any conversation with Aboriginal people about the future of the Land Rights Act. "And this is just another broken promise from this government."

The comments were made today at a full council meeting that Senator Scullion did not attend.

It was the first full council meeting since the October Council of Australian Governments (COAG) meeting at which Prime Minister Tony Abbott announced the NT and Queensland governments and the Commonwealth would "urgently investigate" the administration of Aboriginal land.

I can't find a citation (from a decent source) but the issue of cutting aid to Indonseia was all over the news this morning. I'm thinking I might be unfairly denigrating Muppets.

:cb: Bozo Government :cb:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

tithin posted:

UKPol, but still

:gonk:

LOLngland. The racists have won. The world is turning right. Give up your lefty views and start hating those who you feel are "less" than you

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

How could you not bold this bit:

quote:

An MFB incident report into the November Lacrosse fire also reveals there have been seven high-rise apartment fires around the world directly attributed to the unsafe cladding with plastic cores, with more than seven deaths. Four high-rise towers in Dubai including The Torch :ironicat: — all with aluminium cladding with the plastic core — have suffered extensive damage from fires spreading up the facade of the buildings.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Lid posted:

Climate change is a hoax led by the United Nations so that it can end democracy and impose authoritarian rule, according to Prime Minister Tony Abbott's chief business adviser.

Maurice Newman, the chairman of the Prime Minister's business advisory council, has written in The Australian that scientific modelling showing the link between humans and climate change is wrong and the real agenda is a world takeover for the UN.

Yeah. He's literally an insane conspiracy theorist, and he is the chief business advisor to this country's Prime Minister, with pretty much unfettered access to media channels and the ability to drive major policy decisions.

Let us think about that for a mom- :suicide:

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Unrelated but for some idiot reason I started reading today's paper after someone put it on my desk.

Friday's Advertiser posted:

...SA is set to be the only state where the "gay panic defence" -- where a non-violent homosexual advance could be used to establish provocation -- is able to be considered by a jury.

Gay panic can be used as a partial defence under SA common law which can reduce a charge of murder to manslaughter.

RADelaide.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

There was no way Miliband was going to win that.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
So did they accidentally make aluminium cladding that works as thermite or something?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
But can it melt steel beams?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Shadeoses posted:

So did they accidentally make aluminium cladding that works as thermite or something?

No, they made aluminium cladding stuffed with plastic filler instead of something less flammable

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

starkebn posted:

instead of something less flammable

like thermite

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

QUACKTASTIC posted:

like thermite

Magnesium :v:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

markgreyam posted:

Unrelated but for some idiot reason I started reading today's paper after someone put it on my desk.

RADelaide.

It's weird that stayed in place during eras of reform like when SA decriminalised marijuana or when Dunstan was doing his thing. Actually, I thought only QLD had the gay panic defence. I wonder if anyone would actually be dumb enough to use it as a defence.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ler posted:

https://medium.com/@rgmerk/wetherill-s-nuclear-flight-of-fancy-a29716cd6eac

In short: too drat expensive, too drat difficult to build, nuclear remains a finite energy resource that will run out, we don't have any one that could actually make or run a nuclear plant, renewables are safer/cleaner/technologically more viable etc etc etc.

I really do suggest you keep reading on the subject, there are so many social-economic-environmental reasons why we shouldn't go nuclear, instead focus on 100% renewable target.

You make it sound like breeder reactors aren't a thing and ANSTO somehow doesn't exist despite maintaining our country's sole (state of the art) medical reactor. If that reactor were to be permanently shut down, by the way, you could kiss a large portion of the world's radiopharmaceutical supply goodbye.

Bifauxnen posted:

I still think thorium would be excellent. Especially for side benefits like harvesting rare earth metal byproducts, or using up existing nuclear waste. But no one ever seems to mean that when they talk nuclear - they just assume more of the same old same old uranium junk, and that can get stuffed.

Nuclear fission reactor technology has come a long way since the Cold War, there's no telling what kind of goodies we could have if we had a government willing to put their balls to the wall.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ScreamingLlama posted:

Nuclear fission reactor technology has come a long way since the Cold War, there's no telling what kind of goodies we could have if we had a government willing to put their balls to the wall.

The only way that would happen would be for someone to invent a reactor you could feed refugees/poors into.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Vladimir Poutine posted:

It's weird that stayed in place during eras of reform like when SA decriminalised marijuana or when Dunstan was doing his thing. Actually, I thought only QLD had the gay panic defence. I wonder if anyone would actually be dumb enough to use it as a defence.

If it exists wouldn't using it as a defense be the smart thing to do?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

ScreamingLlama posted:

You make it sound like breeder reactors aren't a thing and ANSTO somehow doesn't exist despite maintaining our country's sole (state of the art) medical reactor. If that reactor were to be permanently shut down, by the way, you could kiss a large portion of the world's radiopharmaceutical supply goodbye.

Unsurprisingly you are full of poo poo.

Wikipedia but I can go and get more.

quote:

About a third of the world's supply, and most of Europe's supply, of medical isotopes is produced at the Petten nuclear reactor in the Netherlands. Another third of the world's supply, and most of North America's supply, is produced at the Chalk River Laboratories in Chalk River, Ontario, Canada. The NRU started operating in 1957. The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission ordered the National Research Universal reactor reactor to be shut down on November 18, 2007 for regularly scheduled maintenance and an upgrade of the safety systems to modern standards. The upgrade took longer than expected, and in December 2007 a critical shortage of medical isotopes occurred. The Canadian government passed emergency legislation allowing the reactor to restart on 16 December 2007, and production of medical isotopes to continue. Update: In Mid-February, 2009, the reactor was shut down once again due to a mechanism problem that extracts the isotope containing rods from the reactor. The reactor was again shut down in Mid May of the same year because of a heavy water leak. The reactor was started again during the first quarter of 2010. The NRU will cease routine production in the fall of 2016, however the reactor will be available for backup production until March 2018, at which point it will be shut down.[9]

Fussion/Thorium/Fast Heavywater Breeder are all fairytale techs that may all one day become commercially viable but then so might molten salt solar.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Australia really needs to go nuclear as a transition away from coal energy to renewable energy. But that was nearly 40 years ago. So once we get that time machine we can go nuclear. Then after a time we just move to maintaining token reactors for making heavy isotopes while we go full solar/wind/etc.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

ScreamingLlama posted:

Nuclear power for energy is really not something that's worth compromising other political stances for.

While I have no personal problems with it as a power source, when you look at the economics of it there is no way it will ever happen in this country.
If nuclear can't win on cost grounds alone against coal (and it really doesn't compete without gigantic subsidy from the public purse) then it's never ever going to win against renewables which are already beating new-build coal plants on costs.

We are at the point where it's often cheaper for a farm house to go completely off-grid with solar+battery than it is to have private power poles installed and maintained across their properties. Last I heard was of someone that spent $80k for this sort of system and to get hooked up to the grid was going to be $120k + power bills.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

ScreamingLlama posted:

What's your plan on how to counteract the huge amount of public animosity towards nuclear power plants and uranium mines? Why do you think a political party would want to spend so much political capital doing that, rather than something much easier?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

by the way, the government decided to take labor's pissweak compromise figure.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-08/renewable-energy-target-cabinet-agrees-to-compromise-figure/6454302

quote:

The Federal Cabinet has agreed to cut the renewable energy target to a figure that Labor is agreeable to and will today try to finalise a deal, the ABC understands.

The target is for 20 per cent of Australia's energy mix to come from renewable sources like wind and solar by 2020.

When it was set, the 20 per cent figure represented 41,000 gigawatt hours (GWh) of energy.

But energy demand has fallen since then and emissions intensive industries argue jobs are at risk if the 41,000 GWh figure is not cut.

The two major parties have been renegotiating the figure for several months.

Labor recently said it would back a cut to 33,000 GWh after previously arguing for significantly higher figures.

The Coalition has been holding out for a lower number but the ABC understands Cabinet last night gave the Industry and Environment Ministers approval to agree to Labor's figure.

I'm guessing this is just removing this as a bargaining chip from labor's bag before the budget comes down more than anything. The uncertainty was having a bigger effect on the industry than the cuts themselves, which we all know was doing the LNP's job for them.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Isn't solar going to be thing now? They are improving the efficiency of it every day.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

It's almost as if some red tape might have prevented this poo poo from being approved.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
OK Ratbag you can't be that poo poo if you're posting Lehrer songs. You did miss the pigeons song but that shouldn't be held against you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhuMLpdnOjY

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

bowmore posted:

Isn't solar going to be thing now? They are improving the efficiency of it every day.

Yeah, they've got working examples of solar plants that can provide baseload power using mirrors to heat a big tank of salt. They work pretty well even on cloudy days. Combined with wind turbines, wave generators and hydro there isn't really the need to go down the nuclear path. Once affordable batteries have been developed (probably not too far away given Tesla's recent progress) there probably won't even be a debate about nuclear power any more, except for specialist roles like naval propulsion.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Hydro is also a pretty good storage of excess energy. You use any excess electricity to pump the water back up to storage level and release it through the turbines when you need it.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I'm going to enjoy reading the same arguments for nuclear or renewables in 10 years (the same arguments were made on this forum a decade ago). Maybe by that point the power generators will be falling apart and someone will need to actually make a decision. There's a good reason why the RET is being cut, no one is interested in building anything. You cant set a target and expect private business to forego squeezing every last cent out of their current assets in order to meet a political goal.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Birb Katter posted:

OK Ratbag you can't be that poo poo if you're posting Lehrer songs. You did miss the pigeons song but that shouldn't be held against you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhuMLpdnOjY

I have tormented my loved ones with Songs & More Songs by Tom Lehrer on so many road trips now that they have taken the CD away from me and hidden it.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Graic Gabtar posted:

I have tormented my loved ones with Songs & More Songs by Tom Lehrer on so many road trips now that they have taken the CD away from me and hidden it.

Same, but with The 12th Man.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
How viable is solar panels + new tesla battery going to be for Australian households?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

gay picnic defence posted:

Yeah, they've got working examples of solar plants that can provide baseload power using mirrors to heat a big tank of salt. They work pretty well even on cloudy days. Combined with wind turbines, wave generators and hydro there isn't really the need to go down the nuclear path. Once affordable batteries have been developed (probably not too far away given Tesla's recent progress) there probably won't even be a debate about nuclear power any more, except for specialist roles like naval propulsion.

Then you have the really big one. One that the green revolution parrots that just sprout the green propaganda will never get, and more than likely never admit. Have you ever stood on a tin roof on the blazing sun? Ever felt the radiated heat that comes from a reflector as dull as a silver roof. And you plan to build huge arrays all over the world that will be radiating so much heat into the atmosphere that green house gasses become irrelevant.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Before I bother to effort post hooman, are you serious or is that an unsourced quote?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

hooman posted:

Then you have the really big one. One that the green revolution parrots that just sprout the green propaganda will never get, and more than likely never admit. Have you ever stood on a tin roof on the blazing sun? Ever felt the radiated heat that comes from a reflector as dull as a silver roof. And you plan to build huge arrays all over the world that will be radiating so much heat into the atmosphere that green house gasses become irrelevant.

I feel like this must be one of those 'copy a stupid comment' posts, but just in case it isn't.

Reflecting heat upwards reduces global warming, much like arctic ice reduces heating by reflecting heat away. If it's not reflecting it is absorbed by the earth and raises global temperature. Because where does reflected heat go? A lot of it goes back into space.

That comment would fail my grade 7 science class. Seriously.

What? It hurts my head it's so dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

quote:

Labor and Government have reached a deal on a 33,000GWh RET.

truly, a victory for the ALP left

for some context, we actually reached 30k GWh in 2012 and the original target was 45k GWH

Murodese fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 8, 2015

• Locked thread