Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Levitate posted:

Also the dwarves look too much like handsome humans with beards (well, some of them anyways...I know they're supposed to be young but they didn't really look like what we think of as Middle Earth dwarves IMO)

Having 13 mostly identical dwarves wouldn't have helped things, I can guarantee you.

Honestly only having ~4 dwarves would have probably been ideal but the nerd rage would have been greater than all of the other changes combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Gorn Myson posted:

Hobbit is one of those things where I really enjoyed it when I watched it, but have no interest in watching it again. I do think that Billy Connolly turning up riding a pig into battle is one of the cinematic highlights of my life though.

I was watching the third movie, vaguely enjoying it but wondering if maybe I was too fixed on the book version to enjoy the film properly for what it was. Then Billy Connolly showed up on a pig and got really pissed that instead of fighting pansy elf ninnies he had to fight goblins (which is the most dwarf thing ever).

The books are the books and the movies are the movies. I wish they had gone further. There was a rumor that the necromancer would resurrect smaug and used the zombie dragon in the fight, now that would have been glorious.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I love how the Sand Worms are actually in the book.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised they didn't deck out Thorin in The Hobbit merchandise, swinging a giant two handed battle The Hobbit branded lunchbox as 'available in stores now' flashed up on the screen.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

euphronius posted:

I love how the Sand Worms are actually in the book.

Sooner or later sand worms shows up in every major fantasy or sci-fi series.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Alhazred posted:

Sooner or later sand worms shows up in every major fantasy or sci-fi series.

the arc of the expanded universe is long, but it bends towards sand worms

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
"Tell me what you want done, and I will try it, if I have to walk from here to the East of East and fight the wild Were-worms in the Last Desert." -Bilbo, only mention of the worms in all of Tolkien's writing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

sunday at work posted:

"Tell me what you want done, and I will try it, if I have to walk from here to the East of East and fight the wild Were-worms in the Last Desert." -Bilbo, only mention of the worms in all of Tolkien's writing.

I always read those as wingless dragons, not sandworms.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
He also talks about things that burrow deep underground. The worms were awesome, though it was a little weird that they disappeared completely without another mention...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SHISHKABOB posted:

He also talks about things that burrow deep underground. The worms were awesome, though it was a little weird that they disappeared completely without another mention...
Well, Gandalf mentioned them to Gimli. If the dwarves want to go loving around under Moria AGAIN...

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
I figure the "were-" part of Were-worms implies some amount of man-ness. So they're like dragonmen or men who turn into dragons or whatever. Some weird-rear end monster that Hobbit Herodotus heard about from a drunk dwarf one day.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Bendigeidfran posted:

I figure the "were-" part of Were-worms implies some amount of man-ness. So they're like dragonmen or men who turn into dragons or whatever. Some weird-rear end monster that Hobbit Herodotus heard about from a drunk dwarf one day.

When I was younger and before I realized what "were-" meant as a prefix I just thought these were hairy wolf worms. Like a big hairy worm with the head of a wolf.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's like how when I was a kid I thought "Super" literally meant "has a cape"

E: also a cape was what conferred flying powers.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
It wouldn't take that much to edit the Hobbit movies down into something a lot more reasonable. There are entire scenes that can go (The Radagast warg chase scene from the first movie for example) and others can have several minutes chopped out of their middles and no one would notice. There is an easy 30-45 minutes from each movie that if removed would make them a lot more enjoyable.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
If we go by what Tolkien means in the Silmarillion the were-worms are most likely dragon kind. Now personally I imagine a sandworm in the desert of the Haradrim but I also love Dune.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tolkien uses worm both ways so who knows.

I like the way the movie used them a lot as a kind of counter to the Eagles. The good guys ride majestic eagles. The bad guys follow worms and come out of the ground like vermin. Neat.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
I've been reading LotR again, and it seems like the breaching fire that Saruman uses at Helm's Deep is a cannon? Especially as it is fired at aragorn the second time it's used. So not a big bomb carried to the wall.

Am i correct* in this?

*As in, it's a commonly accepted interpretation.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Belgian posted:

I've been reading LotR again, and it seems like the breaching fire that Saruman uses at Helm's Deep is a cannon? Especially as it is fired at aragorn the second time it's used. So not a big bomb carried to the wall.

Am i correct* in this?

*As in, it's a commonly accepted interpretation.

I just read it and I think that's reasonable. In that part, it says that the archway above where Aragorn had been standing crumbled with the thunder and fire.

As an aside, I really like the part where Aragorn is standing on the wall talking to the orcs mostly because of the way the uruk-hai talk as one. It's one of the scenes that I remember most vividly from my first reading of the story when I was like ten. And now I see how it fits perfectly with the ideas and stories that influenced Tolkien.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

SHISHKABOB posted:

As an aside, I really like the part where Aragorn is standing on the wall talking to the orcs mostly because of the way the uruk-hai talk as one. It's one of the scenes that I remember most vividly from my first reading of the story when I was like ten. And now I see how it fits perfectly with the ideas and stories that influenced Tolkien.

Yeah, that stood out while I was reading it.

A lot of the book feels very different from when I last read it years ago and I'm paying much more attention to all the references and getting them now.

I also noticed that the enemy is much more dehumanized in the movies compared to the books? No wild hilmen fight along with the uruk hai, the uruk hai don't really talk at Helm's deep, I think? I think the only human sevants of the enemy in the movies are the Harad men and teir entire bodies are covered. (and wormtongue)

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

The films lose out on a lot of the thematic subtlety - this is unavoidable. That said, I think the aesthetic of the films was pretty good and it did capture most of the overarching stuff, so eyh

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

The films lose out on a lot of the thematic subtlety - this is unavoidable. That said, I think the aesthetic of the films was pretty good and it did capture most of the overarching stuff, so eyh

Oh, I didn't mean the movies were bad. The last few times I read lotR in its entirety I was quite young and it was around the same time the movies came out. I didn't notice all this stuff then so I guess back then the movies were definitely influencing my image of what I read and I was too young to notice all the thematic stuff. Plus having read the Silm a few times sinc ethen definitely influences my reading now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Belgian posted:

I also noticed that the enemy is much more dehumanized in the movies compared to the books? No wild hilmen fight along with the uruk hai, the uruk hai don't really talk at Helm's deep, I think? I think the only human sevants of the enemy in the movies are the Harad men and teir entire bodies are covered. (and wormtongue)

In the extended edition of TT they have a whole scene where they kill a dude who's just working for Sauron and isn't an orc. They don't actually show up in battle until Return of the King though.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

computer parts posted:

In the extended edition of TT they have a whole scene where they kill a dude who's just working for Sauron and isn't an orc. They don't actually show up in battle until Return of the King though.

Yeah they also have that scene where some people swear allegiance to Saruman but I don't think you ever see them fighting. I should remember who those guys are supposed to be...not the wild men I don't think? Maybe I'm wrong

The Belgian posted:

Oh, I didn't mean the movies were bad. The last few times I read lotR in its entirety I was quite young and it was around the same time the movies came out. I didn't notice all this stuff then so I guess back then the movies were definitely influencing my image of what I read and I was too young to notice all the thematic stuff. Plus having read the Silm a few times sinc ethen definitely influences my reading now.

The worst thing about the movies to me is how they've definitely influenced some of the ways I remember the details of the story. Just easier to remember things visually and occasionally when I re-read I'm surprised by something that I remembered differently.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Levitate posted:

Yeah they also have that scene where some people swear allegiance to Saruman but I don't think you ever see them fighting. I should remember who those guys are supposed to be...not the wild men I don't think? Maybe I'm wrong

The worst thing about the movies to me is how they've definitely influenced some of the ways I remember the details of the story. Just easier to remember things visually and occasionally when I re-read I'm surprised by something that I remembered differently.

those guys are def. the hillmen who fight for him in the book

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I imagine you mean the Dunlendings as opposed to like, the wild hill-cave-neanderthal dudes who give Theoden a shortcut.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The pukelmen.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Revisiting Silmarillion-chat from a few days ago, I've actually always thought the story of Numenor would make a good movie. Especially if you got a really charismatic actor to play Sauron. Lots of great political drama between him, the king and Elendil, tense moments as the kingdom gradually falls apart, huge action set-pieces as the Numenoreans assault first Mordor, then later the lands of the Valar. And of course the huge wave that destroys the island, followed by the requisite happy ending with the founding of the kingdoms in exile.

If you wanted to tie it in to the LOTR movies, you could even frame it with Aragorn telling the tale to his son. Who wouldn't want to watch that?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

euphronius posted:

The pukelmen.

That's what they called the statues. The dudes were the Drúedain.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Nessus posted:

I imagine you mean the Dunlendings as opposed to like, the wild hill-cave-neanderthal dudes who give Theoden a shortcut.

Yes. I knew they were different groups, just couldn't remember what they were called

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Nessus posted:

I must admit I didn't like that part of RotK (the book I mean). It felt like the cave-men were one bad joke away from morphing into fantasy Jar-Jar Binks.

I guess it says something when the most troubling portrayal of minorities come from allies of the protagonists, but I'm not sure what that something is.

:goonsay:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jar Jar and the gungans are a great comparison to the pukelmen.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Were the vala mentionted in Rings/Hobbit? i ask in the context of the Sauron wiki article some guy mentions had a theory that Sauron was a vala before the Simarillion was published.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 9, 2015

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

webmeister posted:

Revisiting Silmarillion-chat from a few days ago, I've actually always thought the story of Numenor would make a good movie. Especially if you got a really charismatic actor to play Sauron. Lots of great political drama between him, the king and Elendil, tense moments as the kingdom gradually falls apart, huge action set-pieces as the Numenoreans assault first Mordor, then later the lands of the Valar. And of course the huge wave that destroys the island, followed by the requisite happy ending with the founding of the kingdoms in exile.

If you wanted to tie it in to the LOTR movies, you could even frame it with Aragorn telling the tale to his son. Who wouldn't want to watch that?

Get Michael Fassbender in here.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Baron Porkface posted:

Were the vala mentionted in Rings/Hobbit? i ask in the context of the Sauron wiki article some guy mentions had a theory that Sauron was a vala before the Simarillion was published.

I think they come up in the appendices, but they're not dealt with in detail.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

The early drafts of the Silmarillion were written way before LOTR and Sauron was never on the same level as the valar. I think he first shows up as a vampyre lord in the third?? version of Beren and luthien.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Baron Porkface posted:

I don't think Sauron was ever up there with the Valar. However, I also don't think there's a hard and fast distinction between the Valar and Maiar like Gandalf; they're on a continuum, not ontologically different. Sauron's big advantage so to speak was presumably the Ring, because now he was semi-immortal; otherwise I think the mission of the Istari would have been to convince Galadriel to put on her ring gear and go put Sauron through tables 'til he died.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Galadriel could not wear her ring when Sauron had the One.

Also the distinction between valar and maiar was distinct. Originally they all were the children of the valar, like how the Greek pantheon has generations. Jrrt moved away from that though.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
At some point in the Silmarillion it mentions that Sauron was a Maiar of Aule who was lured away by Morgoth's fantasies.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

HIJK posted:

At some point in the Silmarillion it mentions that Sauron was a Maiar of Aule who was lured away by Morgoth's fantasies.
Yeah, explaining his aptitude for smithing. It should be noted that Maiar apparently come in all shapes and sizes, if I remember correctly the Balrogs were among them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Saruman was also one of Aule's. That guy did not have a good track record.