Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam

In my book everyone who cooks something they enjoyed is a winner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

alnilam posted:

Two vegetarians in the challenge :henget:

guess i'm going to need to make mine extra meaty

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

would farro be good with veal stock i bet it would because everything is

the unabonger

Bo-Pepper posted:

my local farmer's market starts back up this month and i'm super excited

this is spoiled as gently caress, but honestly, i cannot imagine living in a place that doesnt have at least one year round farmers market.

joke_explainer

the farmers market is only awesome may to november though anyway

om nom nom

om nom nom nom nom nom nom

Bo-Pepper posted:

would farro be good with veal stock i bet it would because everything is

Totally it's got a nutty flavor that would be awesome

Edit: also it loves pork belly. like do that risotto method I mentioned earlier but before you add the onions render some diced uncured pork belly in the oil (use less oil) and toast the farro in pork fat and butter then veal stock instead of chicken stock gently caress yea

om nom nom fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 7, 2015

om nom nom

landy. posted:

so do you guys want to give up now, or...

You're just lucky I'm not competing. Although my money's on the guy who's first post about the competition involved veal stock

the unabonger

joke_explainer posted:

the farmers market is only awesome may to november though anyway

maybe where u are...

joke_explainer

i flunked out posted:

maybe where u are...

Eh, there's some good stuff there in the off season but the main reason I go there is for the crazy spring summer early autumn produce. Until you've had spicy fresh carrots from the farmer's market you haven't tasted carrots, drat.

om nom nom

Packed and ready so I can get them out after work. Saran wrapped as gently caress cause I'm gonna try and get them in a flat rate envelope. I'm gonna find padded ones but I figure every little bit helps.

This is kinda neat I've never done a crossover from internet to real life before. I'm excited to get some people to try a new food which I think is awesome.

Also I learned that my special lady friend is totally cool with me mailing grains to people from the internet and having our address due to the return address so that's nice.

om nom nom

alnilam posted:

In my book everyone who cooks something they enjoyed is a winner

Also these are the rules of the contest and the prize is the satisfaction of cooking something for yourself and free farro

joke_explainer

*into reality TV cam* We're all already winners but I'm going to reach into science to find the means to destroy Bo-Pepper.

om nom nom

I sent you guys tracking numbers I was thinking we should do a separate food challenge thread so people who wouldn't click on this thread will get to see it. Let me know when the farro starts arriving

om nom nom

Nothing yet? The anticipation is killing me

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
:ohdear:

joke_explainer

The Farro arrived!

I am still testing.

alnilam

Arrival here. Won't get to cook it with proper effort til next week i think. Thanks om nom!

joke_explainer

Also thanks on nom nom for my new gem thief name: Jaques Explainiêr

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

beauford pepper received his farro and will work on it this weekend

landy.
I, landolph l. landsford, didn't think it would get here this quickly and hadn't noticed that the owner of the house put it on the table a few days back. I'll cook it Friday, probably.

om nom nom

Hooray for the postal service, glad it all arrived intact. Looking forward to what comes next

joke_explainer

I can make something resembling flour with this stuff, but I'm worried I'll get points taken off if I don't strongly represent the base ingredient in the final product... still, the appeal of providing a baked side from this ancient grain is strong, though it'd have to be cut with regular flour and some experimentation would be needed.

om nom nom

I'm all for farro flour, in this contest everything is made up and the points aren't real. And ingenuity is definitely worth some pretend points

landy.
I made it and before I make the effortpost, I'd like to say it was really good, and thank you, nom, for sending me the farro and introducing me to this amazing food

joke_explainer

Hmm... I really need a digital waffle maker...

om nom nom

landy. posted:

I made it and before I make the effortpost, I'd like to say it was really good, and thank you, nom, for sending me the farro and introducing me to this amazing food

That's great man, you're very welcome.

This is exactly why I sent my favorite grain to all corners of the country.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

short ribs purchased i am going to try a farro risotto coupled with braised short ribs all made with veal stock and dotted with pomegranate seeds

landy.
So two weeks ago, I made some stir fry and had ingredients left over. When I looked for recipes including farro, I noticed I had all the ingredients to make this: http://origin-foodnetwork.sndimg.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/healthy-farro-fried-rice.html

It came out pretty well.

I have to say, this stuff was very easy to cook with and gave me something that was better than most grains I’ve used. The farro absorbed the sesame oil and the soy sauce better than noodles have in the past, and was a lot easier to get on the plate and into a container. The fact that I could prepare the farro a day in advance made it a lot easier to be prepared to cook the stuff.

One thing I noticed after eating the farro is how filling it is. I felt full all the way until I fell asleep and when I woke up, I was still able to go to the gym before breakfast and not feel hungry until near the end of the workout. I don’t know if that’s the farro, or just the specific dish I ate, but it definitely makes me want to cook more stuff with farro, which I will be able to because the recipe only called for a cup, so there’s a lot left.

Thank you again for sending me the farro, om nom nom. It's definitely something I'll use and eventually buy in the future.

om nom nom

Bo-Pepper posted:

short ribs purchased i am going to try a farro risotto coupled with braised short ribs all made with veal stock and dotted with pomegranate seeds

I feel like brussel sprouts would round that plate out really well. Or asparagus. Sounds awesome though.

Thanks for the post landy.! Farro fried "rice"... I like it. The filling aspect is definitely the farro, a few local friends who have tried it mentioned that too. Glad you like it so much, I feel like it's a hell of a grain for any vegetarians arsenal

alnilam

lol landy i made a stir fry with farro base as a first farro foray, not too far from what you did. I'm going to do another thing and post about it too, but i figured I'd post about the stir fry if y'all don't mind two posts. I'll post when i have a computer. It was so good thank you om nom nom.

preview of techniques i will review:
freezing tofu for different texture
fun with sweet potatoes
"the brown sauce paradigm"

alnilam

Okay here I go. Farro dish post 1 of ???
The backstory here is sunday night came arpound, and I was hungry! I wanted to eat some food to become less hungry.
What follows is a basic quick meal that I cook a lot, but this itme it was with farro, so that was fun. I still plan to do something with the farro that i haven't done before, whereas this is just a usual meal with farro instead of rice. But whatever I'll post it anyway.

First a little background: Tofu, and the freezing thereof.
I'm lucky enough to live near a place that makes their own fresh tofu and sells it for 30 cents per 4x4" block. That is CHEAP. And it's better than packaged tofu bc it's fresh.
The downside is it's not in a hermetically sealed thingy so you have to use it soon or freeze it.
But the upside is, I like frozen-then-thawed tofu!
When you freeze tofu, the ice crystalls cut up the inside of the tofu a little bit, giving it a bit of an airy, spongy texture that works really well for fried or stir-fried tofu. It's not gonna be silky smooth any more though, so this isn't a great way if you're adding the tofu to soup or a milky curry.

Tofu consists of a bunch of lamellae of coagulated soy protein that have been compressed together into a block. Because of the way they're compressed, they still exist as layers, you just can't see it. When you freeze it, the lamellae kind of come apart and you can see it when you slice it up, it's cool.

Anyway even if you buy sealed tofu that keeps well, you stlil should try freezing it sometime just to experience the different texture.

1. I cooked the farro in a rice cooker - you can do that apparentlty ?!? I used about 1 cup farro to 3 cups water and it cooked in a similar amount of tmie to brown rice
i threw in a bay leaf and a little tumeric cause i like cooking grains with those things, gives them a haerty savoriness without adding too many confounding flavors, bc bay leaf and tumeric don't have a very strong flavor.

2. cut up some vegetabl
cue bo-pepper telling me i need a new cutting board
fyi no meat has ever touched this cutting board so i know it looks gross but it should be pretty safe :shrug:

not shown: sweet potate, baby corm, carrots, brocco

3. pre-cook the sweet potates in my cast iron pan bc they need a little extra time that a stir fry doesn't give them
this is p basic, just 2-3 mm slices of sweet tate, halved, stir in some oil on med heat for a while until tasty. accidentally had the haet a little too high at first here, so some of them got a little blackened, which isn't a bad thing really but normally i avoid that.
btw, i'm not gonna act like i invented anything new here, but i'm consistently shocked by how many people think of sweet potatoes just as "candied sweet potatoes" or "sweet potato pie." sweet potatoes can be included in almost any savory dish and they are loving fantastic. They need a little extra time so it helps to pre-cook the sweet potatoes like shown here, then add them to whatever.
If you haven't tried sweet potatoes in your favorite savory dishes, start playing around with it. They're delicious and nutritious.

step negative-1: :siren: time travelling step :siren: go back in time to at least the previous day, and put your tofu in the freezer. later (step 0?) tak eit out and thaw it like you would with meat, like idk put it in a bowl and let the sink dribble into the bowl for a whlie or something.

then gently squeeze the tofu out over the sink to get much of the liquid out
then press the tofu - put the tofu in a white cloth or a paper towel and put between two plates, then put a heavy book or sth onto the upper plate. let it sit there for like 10 minutes at least.
it'll look all flat and compressed but it'll puff back up a lil when you cook it

4. pre-c0o0k the tofu, not because it's necessary but becaues i think it's tasty this way
wok
med-high heat
a bunch of veg oil and a splash of sesame oil - the sesame oil gets a lil smokey and helps it brown on the outside
stir until all the tofu has a light brown coating, then remove the tofu

5. close all windows and prepre to sauce
i will now introduce you to :greencube: the brown sauce paradigm :greencube:
the paradigm is basically this:
~something salty~
something sour
~something sweet~
and starch or flour

works great for any stir fry or related dish

the most basic iteration of this sauce paradigm is this:
code:
2 parts soy sauce
1 part rice vinegar
<1 part sesame oil
<1 part brown sugar
whisk in some dashes of corn starch (or flour)
i don't "measure" things much sorry I can't be more specific, usually i mix the liquid ingredients in a pyrex thing and do like 100 mL soy sauce, ~40 mL sesame oil, ~50 mL rice vinegar, maaaybe 2 tbsp of brown sugar? i just take out a big pinch full using my fingers like a claw from a stuffed animal claw toy machine thing. and whisk in a few dashes of corn starch until the sauce thickens just a little.

you can play around with this concept, like substitute orange juice for both the sugar and the vinegar, or substitute tamarind paste for the sweet, play with various spices to add, etc. I almost always add ginger and garlic because they are always tasty, and i did in this case too.

5. stir fry
when the farro is done/almost done, turn the wok to high heat and add oil if necessary (i had mostly enough left over from the tofu)
start stir frying! a true stir fry is done on very high heat with near-constant stirring. Th9is is why I wanted to pre-cook the sweet tates.
Add things in order of how long you think they need to cook :shrug: and stir constantly until you're satisfied with how it looks. Then add the sauce, sprinkle on some extra ginger powder, stir just a lil longer until sauce is hot, turn off heat, stir in an egg or two if you feel like it.

(pictured: before sauce added)

6. Serve over the farro and add some sriracha or whatev. Eat outdoors on a nice night with girlfriend and beer and watch a cool bat fly around up in the sky as the sun sets and jupiter and venus come out.

thank you om nom nom, this was really tasty, and as landy said it made me feel more full! farro is hearty and filling grain and i like it a lot now.
also i finally had "the byob talk" with my girlfriend as to why i had this bag of farro for free and why i was taking photos of our food

alnilam fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 18, 2015

ty manifisto

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

typing up the post and massaging the pictures currently if you dislike pictures of meat and food that has had meat applied to it please scan past my post there will be pictures of meat and farro with meat

alnilam

why would you massage a picture, they don't even have muscles or a central nervous system :confused:

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Hoo boy. The weather's starting to get warm. It's pretty humid out. You know what I should make today? The world's heaviest dish!

Braised Short Ribs with Risotto Style Farro

Part the First - The Short Ribs

First you want some lovely short ribs. In the following picture you see short ribs cut into serving sized chunks. They have been generously sprinkled with kosher salt and left to sit on the counter for about an hour.

Next, coat them with flour mixed with pepper. Set aside while you get your mise en place together.

Ingredients! Pictured you see:

Onions
Celery
Carrots
Thyme
Bay leaves
Pomegranate seeds

Picture shy key players to this dish are a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon, homemade veal stock, and a few garlic cloves.

Make your classic mire poix! Onions, celery and carrots. My balance is a little off. There should be twice as much onion to each portion of carrots or celery, but it's fine.

While you were doing that I hope you were heating up your dutch oven on your stove top at a medium-high heat. So now that it's good and hot, start searing your meat. Try to get a good sear on most sides of your pieces. Don't crowd them. Do this in batches if necessary.

Remove from your dutch oven and set aside for now. Throw in your mire poix with some crushed garlic cloves and sautee until everything is aromatic and the onion is translucent. Try not to brown anything too much.

Okay. Everything in the pot (except for the pomegranate seeds)! The liquid in the pot is a more or less 50/50 mix of veal stock and red wine. Bring this to a boil.

Now cover the pot and put it in the oven for several hours. I'm sure there's some perfect temperature to do it, but I had it at 350 degrees for about an hour and a half or so. Then I had to go out for a while so I turned it down to 225 for another 2ish hours. Braising tough cuts of meat is a very forgiving process and allows for a lot of wiggle room. It's very hard to overcook short ribs.

After a long time you should have something that looks similar to this.

The key thing to look for is that the meat is falling off of the bone, yielding easily to fork or spoon.

The next few steps I didn't take pictures of, but here is what you do. Remove the meat from the pot and place in a covered bowl or casserole dish. Place this in your (now turned off) oven. This will keep the meat warm while you finish everything else.

Strain the cooking liquid into a fat seperator. If you don't have a fat seperator, strain it into a small bowl and try to spoon off as much of the fat as possible. It will be far too greasy if you keep all that fat in the sauce.

Pour the now degreased cooking liquid into a sauce pan and reduce it until the liquid will lightly coat the back of a spoon. Just before serving whisk in a pat or two of cold butter. Adjust seasoning to taste.

Now on to the farro! You didn't think I forgot about the farro did you? Well I didn't you big jerk.

Be back shortly.

joke_explainer

That looks so good. I love slow-cooked short ribs with a nice sear on them.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Part the Second - Risotto Style Farro

While the short ribs are braising away, you have plenty of time to get together all your stuff for the farro.

Pictured here you see:

Olive oil
Shallots
Farro that has been soaking in water for an hour and drained (somewhere between one and two cups, I didn't measure it)
Butter
A salt shaker looking at all these friends. A salt shaker that knows only loneliness. The salt shaker or its contents is at no point used in this dish. Its much cooler cousin, Kosher Salt Cup, is off on the side telling rad stories and getting laid.

Here is what the farro looks like after its soaking. I think it looks nice.

Mince the shallots until it feels like you have enough. This is all very inexact.

Sautee the minced shallots in a mix of olive oil and a few pats of butter over a medium heat until they are translucent and aromatic. A little sexy kosher salt is helpful here but not necessary.

Now add all your farro and some fresh pepper. Turn up the heat a little. Keep everything moving. At this point you want to get all the grains coated with the oil/butter and fully mixed with the shallots. Get the farro brown. They will start to smell nutty and toasty.

Now I add some veal stock. Any stock will do here, I imagine. Use vegetable stock to make the farro portion of this meal vegetarian. Add it to anything. For dishes like this I make sure the liquid I'm adding has been simmering in a sauce pan so as not to shock the food with cold or room temperature liquid. I probably added too much if I'm going to be honest. But only just too much so it was fine.

At this point I was just sort of making things up as I went along. I stirred and stirred and stirred like it was real risotto but then realized I'm not working with Arborio rice and should just calm down. I covered the pot and set the heat to low. I waited about twenty minutes or so and took a look.

Looks good to me. Adjust your seasonings here if necessary.

Now everything is ready! For the final plating I added the cooked risotto, put a piece of short ribs on top of that, drizzled the braising sauce over that (not too much), and sprinkled with pomegranate seeds. I definitely did miss having some sort of vegetable on the side, but it's a quibble. It was lovely.

Finis

Bo-Pepper fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 18, 2015

alnilam

looks great bo pep, i also enjoy that you get to learn about color names while eating

ty manifisto

om nom nom

Great posts, can't wait to see what else you do alnilam.

Bo I might take that dish and sell it in the restaurant. Maybe some changes but I like the braised beef and farro situation you have going on.

What is the function of salting the meat and leaving it out? I've never done that before.

joke_explainer

om nom nom posted:

Great posts, can't wait to see what else you do alnilam.

Bo I might take that dish and sell it in the restaurant. Maybe some changes but I like the braised beef and farro situation you have going on.

What is the function of salting the meat and leaving it out? I've never done that before.

Its sort of like a micro-dry brine... It helps season the interior of the meat slightly I think, water is sucked out, the the liquid gets reabsorbed into the less-moist now steak. Here in the salting section of this article from serious eats:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/the-food-lab-more-tips-for-perfect-steaks.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shabbat goy

joke_explainer posted:

Its sort of like a micro-dry brine... It helps season the interior of the meat slightly I think, water is sucked out, the the liquid gets reabsorbed into the less-moist now steak. Here in the salting section of this article from serious eats:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/the-food-lab-more-tips-for-perfect-steaks.html

Speaking of serious eats, I made a batch of those black bean burgers you posted a while ago and they were great, so thanks for posting those :)

edit: oh, also, I saw this posted on another site and figured it would be of interest to you fine dining folks. Vegan meringue from chickpea juice. I always rinse my canned beans anyways, so it seems like a cool way to use it.

shabbat goy fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 18, 2015