Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
I thought a big chunk of Hydro power fell out of the RET target

That same conversation piece I quoted before posted:

The Energy Supply Association of Australia, in its Electricity Gas Australia 2014 report, indicates that 88% of power generation (192,205 GWh of the 218,000 GWh total) still comes from fossil fuels. Most of the rest comes from hydro power, most of which falls outside the RET scheme. Solar, wind and biofuels only account for about 8,000 GWh.

But it's all moot if Labor rolls over and allows for the target to be reviewed every two years, the industry needs certainty.

Freudian Slip fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Freudian Slip posted:

I thought a big chunk of Hydro power fell out of the RET target

But it's all moot if Labor rolls over and allows for the target to be reviewed every two years, the industry needs certainty.

Why can't the industry stand on it's own two feet, without the government year, like the coal industry?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
I don't really know why a big chunk of the hydro industry wouldn't be included unless they actively chose not to be, which doesn't make a lot of sense

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Gough Suppressant posted:

Why can't the industry stand on it's own two feet, without the government year, like the coal industry?

Yep, the coal industry. Surely one industry that hasn't needed a handout in a while.

Surely we would just pay them market rates for the coal.....

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/27000167/premier-parent-spills-the-beans/

quote:

The deal is anchored by a potentially contentious loan agreement that gives State-owned power supplier Synergy first rights over Premier's Collie mine in event of a default.

The arrangement was struck after Synergy bowed to months of lobbying by Premier and agreed to pay more for the company's coal to help keep the miner afloat.

Like other Australian producers, Premier - which supplies about 40 per cent of South West WA's energy needs - has been hard hit by falling coal prices.

The renegotiated agreement was understood to pay an extra $7 a tonne to Premier, for an extra $15 million of revenue a year.

By the way there was a better article in this weeks west, but I couldn't find it online.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Sorry, I'm missing something here.

Hydro = dams

People don't like dams.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Graic Gabtar posted:

Sorry, I'm missing something here.

Hydro = dams

People don't like dams.

Is that true? I thought hydroelectric power wasn't explored in Australia due to climate factors and lack of available damming areas. I grew up in Ontario, hydroelectricity is ubiquitious enough that we refer to our electricity bills as "hydro" bills. Hydeoelectricity comes with its own environmental peril but it enjoys pretty wide support in areas I've seen it used.

Is it even feasible in Australia? There's a <lot> of water in Canada, it shapes a lot of the land use (in the SouthEast and East at least)

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Almost all the good places to put a dam in Australia already have a dam. Hydro is good but there's not much potential to expand it.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

open24hours posted:

Almost all the good places to put a dam in Australia already have a dam. Hydro is good but there's not much potential to expand it.

It's not exactly clean energy anyway. I mean, it's better than coal but in Ontario, it's made profound transformations to the landscapes and habitats and the availability of cheap, relatively easy to access electricity has discouraged investment in renewables.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Construct a freedom wall around Sydney under the pretense of stopping boat people , then hey presto let the rivers fill up your new basin and you're swimming in hydro power.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Amoeba102 posted:

I thought you needed a reactor to make certain isotopes. But, I guess you'd get the same deal with a proper neutron source.

The only thing Lucas Heights produces that you can't otherwise make with a particle accelerator is molybdenum-99, which is a precursor to technetium-99 and an important medical isotope. Fortunately there's a) literally no conversation being had about LH in NSW and the idea of closing it won't be something the Greens even get to debate in Parliament and b) our science spokesperson also knows full well about the 99Mo issue.

That's not really an excuse for the policy, though, and I'm actively working to change it in NSW. I don't think I'd win a fight about nuclear in general, but I think recognising the need of a local source of medical isotopes (since until we build a large-scale public cyclotron we'd end up importing them from Canada, and would remain doing so for 99Mo) is something I can get past SDC.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I'm not normally supportive of Australia's 3-year electoral cycles, but in the UK this morning it seems pretty loving good. Imagine facing the prospect of another FIVE YEARS of the Liberals.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

freebooter posted:

I'm not normally supportive of Australia's 3-year electoral cycles, but in the UK this morning it seems pretty loving good. Imagine facing the prospect of another FIVE YEARS of the Liberals.

:dogout:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Serrath posted:

Is that true?
Historically, yeah. The Greens as a party exist partly due to the environmental movement that formed in Tasmania protesting the damming of Lake Pedder and the Franklin River in the 70s and 80s.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Same reason the Greens won't even consider nuclear; because there's too much Cold War baggage in there. They've been remarkably successful in evolving from a protest movement to a mature, left-wing parliamentary party, but when the biggest threat facing the world is climate change, they need to let go of the past.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

freebooter posted:

Oh god, I forgot the UK has five year terms. Poor bastards.

Well, at least, looking at SNP vote, the Scottish may have a small chance of escaping Cameron's weird and uncomfortable grasp, before then.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

The Cold War is actually just one of many reasons why nuclear power is bad, hope this helps :)

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

If Cameron has an EU referendum, which he's said he will, and if the people of England vote to leave the EU, which they may, there'll be another Scottish independence referendum.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Cameron has a vested interest in ensuring the U.K. doesn't leave the EU, as does all the money. If they leave, it'll be quite a shocking result.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

freebooter posted:

If Cameron has an EU referendum, which he's said he will, and if the people of England vote to leave the EU, which they may, there'll be another Scottish independence referendum.

Which could end amusingly enough with Scotland part of the EU and not the UK.

Real prediction: Australian wins Eurovision. Joins the EU while still on a drunken high. Regrets it the next morning.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 8, 2015

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Björn Lomberg's centre for idiots has been dropped by UWA
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/may/08/climate-contrarian-bjrn-lomborgs-centre-dropped-by-wa-university?CMP=share_btn_tw

quote:

The University of Western Australia has handed back $4m in federal government funding to host a “consensus centre” with climate contrarian Bjørn Lomborg, saying that lack of support among its academics made the centre untenable.

In a statement emailed to UWA staff and then published online late on Friday, UWA vice chancellor, Paul Johnson, said that strong opposition to the centre had put the university in a difficult position.

“Therefore, it is with great regret and disappointment that I have formed the view that the events of the past few weeks places the centre in an untenable position as it lacks the support needed across the university and the broader academic community to meet its contractual obligations and deliver value for money for Australian taxpayers,” he said.

Johnson said that the planned Australian consensus centre, which would have been linked to Lomborg’s Copenhagen consensus centre, would have done important work, but “unfortunately, that work cannot happen here”.

“I have today spoken to the federal government and Bjørn Lomborg advising them of the barriers that currently exist to the creation of the Centre and the University’s decision to cancel the contract and return the money to the government,” he said.

The Guardian reported last month that the Abbott government had given UWA $4m to fund the centre, which would have covered about a third of the costs. A spokesman for the federal education minister, Christopher Pyne, said at the time that the centre had sprung out of discussions between the university and Lomborg, but it has since been revealed that the push came from the prime minister’s office.

UWA academics have been vocal in their opposition to the centre and demanded that the university sever its contract with the federal government or risk jeopardising its international reputation.

Rachel Siewert, Greens senator for WA and a UWA alumnus, told Guardian Australia that she was relieved the university had responded to pressure from its academics.

“I can now be proud of my university again,” she said.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Good.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Quantum Mechanic posted:

The only thing Lucas Heights produces that you can't otherwise make with a particle accelerator is molybdenum-99, which is a precursor to technetium-99 and an important medical isotope. Fortunately there's a) literally no conversation being had about LH in NSW and the idea of closing it won't be something the Greens even get to debate in Parliament and b) our science spokesperson also knows full well about the 99Mo issue.

That's not really an excuse for the policy, though, and I'm actively working to change it in NSW. I don't think I'd win a fight about nuclear in general, but I think recognising the need of a local source of medical isotopes (since until we build a large-scale public cyclotron we'd end up importing them from Canada, and would remain doing so for 99Mo) is something I can get past SDC.

For those of you not in the know, importing medical isotopes is not a great idea because they have half lives. Molybdenum 99 lasts 66 hours before decaying into Technecium 99 (The required product), which lasts 6 hours before decaying into something else that isn't useful.

So if you refuse to make your own, you've got around 70 hours to ship it from the facility in Canada to the hospital in Australia. Better hope it isn't a rural hospital.

The biggest problem with the Lucas heights reactor is that there's only one. Every capital city should have one, and it should be pretty close to an airport.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

freebooter posted:

They'll pork barrel the middle class and we'll get another six! The only solution is bloody revolution.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Another captains call gone wrong.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Pyne has a whine.
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/may/08/climate-contrarian-bjrn-lomborgs-centre-dropped-by-wa-university

quote:

Christopher Pyne says the government is seeking legal advice and will find another university to host ‘consensus centre’ after $4m in funding was handed back.
Pyne accused the UWA academics of “shouting down” views with which they disagreed.

“We are disappointed that the university has indicated it cannot effectively deliver against the contract and is seeking to return $4 million in research funds. The Government is awaiting legal advice on the status of the contract,” Pyne said after the university’s announcement.

“The government is committed to establishing the consensus methodology in Australia and to ensuring a wide range of views on issues are aired publicly. An Australian consensus centre will be established in an alternative location.

“It is surprising that individuals at an institution of higher learning claiming to embrace the notion of academic and intellectual freedom would display intolerance and shout down a voice in the debate they simply don’t agree with,” Pyne said through a spokesman.

“A society which thrives on debate and a diversity of views should be a priority for all regardless of how fervently they oppose those views.”

He sounds like someone complaining about anti-vaxxer views not getting serious consideration.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

freebooter posted:

Thinks the UK election teaches us: Australia is the worst country politically in the world, except for all the others.

Yes to mandatory voting.

Yes to preferential voting.

Yes to three year terms.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

So glad that fell through. Calling that poo poo a "consensus centre" made me so loving mad. It is Orwellian as hell cause if they had any interest in "consensus" whatsoever they would be embracing the existing scientific consensus about climate change being real, and really loving important!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Which shithole uni will take the 4 million instead?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
:10bux: on QUT

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
UTas would be desperate for the money.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
nah m8, those "warmist" universities only ever support AGW because they make fat stacks aye

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lid posted:

Thinks the UK election teaches us: Australia is the worst country politically in the world, except for all the others.

Yes to mandatory voting.

Yes to three year terms.

What I'm learning from things like this is that our actual structure is loving amazing., it's the people we elect with it bringing it down.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Lid posted:

Yes to mandatory voting.

Yes to three year terms.

Agreed. For all our faults, our electoral system is not one of them. We have no one but our selves to blame for the fuckers we vote in.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Which shithole uni will take the 4 million instead?

University of Newcastle has form with climate change deniers but I don't know if they'll want to jeopordize their TOP 50 status.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
UNE is dumb enough to take the centre for idiots

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Richard Di Natale did a Facebook Q&A today. Here is some of the gold:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Cave posted:

That is indeed gold.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Doctor Cave posted:

He's already overtaken bloop snorten for zingers

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Comeon people I saw a scientist doing rimjobs for grant money the other day, there must be someone who'll sell their souls for a cool 4 million

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Lid posted:

Yes to mandatory voting.

Yes to three year terms.

The best thing about the UK election has been the insane rolling coverage. I've been watching it all day.

• Locked thread