Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Dolash posted:

Muse ain't wrong that Ed can't stand up to Isabel's Grandpa and it's unreasonable to expect him to (no one apparently can),

It's not like Ed had to beat him up, or even win an argument. He just had to stand by his friend's side and defend her, knowing that it wasn't going to go well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

She didn't pick him at all, and she used the switchball on not him.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
It seems everyone has gotten the "lovely friend" ball so far in this chapter. Ed bails on Isabel, Isaac tries to put the squeeze on Max, Isabel goes out of her way to blow off Ed... which means Max is up for doing something kinda dickish. :sigh:

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Muse proves that dramatic face shadows are superior to letterboxing. Suck it, Isaac.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
So, given Muse's propensity for making Ed do all kinds of crazy looking exercises (well, crazy looking to us/the general public) doe this mean that every time we see him doing crazy stuff in the background he's actually jumping through hoops to please his spirit and not just goofing off?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cubone posted:

It's not like Ed had to beat him up, or even win an argument. He just had to stand by his friend's side and defend her, knowing that it wasn't going to go well.
This looks like something a naive baby would say.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

inkblot posted:

:sbahj: Ed got completed smashed by his spirit. Being unable to help your friends is one thing, being flippantly told by someone else that you made the right choice by wimping out because you're hopelessly worthless is just... drat. Wrap yourself up in a tortilla of sadness, Ed. You are the worst burrito.
Especially since he's a Burger :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The Mentalizer posted:

So, given Muse's propensity for making Ed do all kinds of crazy looking exercises (well, crazy looking to us/the general public) doe this mean that every time we see him doing crazy stuff in the background he's actually jumping through hoops to please his spirit and not just goofing off?

Only if he was doing it at super speed, since ya know, time dilation in the spirit zone and all.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I like how this update partly mirrors Spender's from the previous chapter. Ed and Spender both share other characteristics as well...

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Probably Magic posted:

It seems everyone has gotten the "lovely friend" ball so far in this chapter. Ed bails on Isabel, Isaac tries to put the squeeze on Max, Isabel goes out of her way to blow off Ed... which means Max is up for doing something kinda dickish. :sigh:

Max is kinda doing it already. Not telling his ghost buddy that he can't use a tool. He's been avoiding it like hell with him. Granted yeah he doesn't want to crush the dude'a spirit (pun not intended ) the more he lingers about not telling him the worst it's gonna get.

Also Muse was telling sound advice but telling him he is a wimp was not so good. Poor Ed. We need some Suzie shenanigans in the next panel to lighten this up. Or the more obvious answer.

More Johnny :v:

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 8, 2015

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Yeah, looking back that was kind of a dick move Ed.

http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=307

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

She didn't pick him at all, and she used the switchball on not him.
Yeah, the point I was making was that she used every opportunity available to pick someone not picking Ed. She didn't pick Ed until there was no more Ed to not pick. There's no way he's THAT bad at sports, was my insinuauauationing.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Muse is basically calling Isabel "naive" and "a baby" in today's page for being upset about Ed bailing on her.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Just picked this series up and blazed through it in a few days and my god Johnny Forge Eightfold Muse aaaah these characters are everything is loving awesome.

Drakyn posted:

insinuauauationing.
Ahaha I'm sorry but did you have a mild stroke while typing?

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Only if he was doing it at super speed, since ya know, time dilation in the spirit zone and all.

Ah poo poo, I totally forgot about that. Oh well.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
He drew up a chair, guys. :)

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

kurona_bright posted:

https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/596556009679790080

The attack of the gradients! :v:

Yeah, Muse is pretty level-headed. Not sure if he's being purposefully over-supportive of Ed to point out his flaws or he just doesn't care.

EDIT: Basically, does he really not care, or does he care so much that he purposefully makes it look like he doesn't care? Wow I feel like I've seen this character trait in so much anime
Looks like that tweet doesn't exist.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Kgummy posted:

Looks like that tweet doesn't exist.

It did for a bit. Zack explained that he did gradients because he was rushing a bit to get the comic done and drawing everything in the background each time was taking up a lot of time.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Meh. Even sans-backgrounds it's still one of the better comics on the net.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

neogeo0823 posted:

It did for a bit. Zack explained that he did gradients because he was rushing a bit to get the comic done and drawing everything in the background each time was taking up a lot of time.

edit- second thought I don't care about stupid twitter "drama" so instead I will reiterate that Muse is pretty cool and probably best spirit so far, except for when it turns out that Suzy is also possessed, by herself

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 8, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

gradients haven't really bothered me and I haven't even noticed them till someone here pointed them out.

I mean stuff going on in the background like Johnny shaking down Jeff in the background of Mr. Garcia having a battle of the minds with that possessed dog great. But I dunno what squiggle people throwing balls around now would add really.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

kinmik posted:

Ahaha I'm sorry but did you have a mild stroke while typing?
What no, that was deliberate. Stupid but deliberate. That's my motto.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

She was following Eightfold's advice and getting her own toothbrush so she doesn't have to share with 6 other people.

Seriously people IT WAS TOTALLY OBVIOUS and I only picked up on it just now but seriously eightfold and Isabel are awesome

khy fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 8, 2015

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Hey Ned wanna go to the corner store with me I gotta get a new toothbrush for reasons that should be obvious but we can also get candy to really break that toothbrush in, make it earns its keep

To be clear this is a thing Isabel could have said, if she wanted Nerd's company, but she didn't, because she didn't.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 8, 2015

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Mazerunner posted:

Hey Ned wanna go to the corner store with me I gotta get a new toothbrush for reasons that should be obvious but we can also get candy to really break that toothbrush in, make it earns its keep

To be clear this is a thing Isabel could have said, if she wanted Nerd's company, but she didn't, because she didn't.

I am far too busy being pleased with myself that I made the connection between Isabel, Eightfold, 6 other people using her toothbrush and JUST NOW noticing that she's buying one for herself to care about semantics.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

khy posted:

I am far too busy being pleased with myself that I made the connection between Isabel, Eightfold, 6 other people using her toothbrush and JUST NOW noticing that she's buying one for herself to care about semantics.
This is basically a reasonable course of action because holy hell that's cool.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If your spirit has to tell you to get a toothbrush of your own you can already tell that kid ain't raised right.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
What's really weird is that none of the other six people bought one. I mean, the others are all adults and possibly Ed, right?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

people whining about gradients in parantural are being stupid as hell, its fine to have plain backgrounds when you're doing actiony complex art in the foreground. People bitch about gradient backgrounds in webcomics because 99% of webcomics are Man On Left Talks To Man On Right boring as hell composition and the artists have no excuse save laziness.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

mr. stefan posted:

people whining about gradients in parantural are being stupid as hell, its fine to have plain backgrounds when you're doing actiony complex art in the foreground. People bitch about gradient backgrounds in webcomics because 99% of webcomics are Man On Left Talks To Man On Right boring as hell composition and the artists have no excuse save laziness.

Also, the characters and speech bubbles take up like 90-95% of the panel most of the time gradients are used here, so there wouldn't be much to be seen anyway. Like, other than the last and maybe third-to-last panels in this latest comic, "detailed" backgrounds wouldn't really add much of anything. Though I will give people the last one looking a bit odd with the gradient background; it's kind of noticeable there. Otherwise, it's fine though.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I agree for the gym setting, but I am rather curious as to what Muse's spirit world looks like.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Ariong posted:

I agree for the gym setting, but I am rather curious as to what Muse's spirit world looks like.

oh, I think Zack did mention that specifically in the deleted tweet conversation, that he's saving it for later

somewhat an odd choice I think but understandable I guess.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Ariong posted:

I think we've seen as much as he was planning to show right now in the bottom left here anyway.

Neveth
Aug 22, 2011

Oh hello, delicious friend.

Fecha posted:

He drew up a chair, guys. :)

:golfclap:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What if Muse's spirit world is nothing but a blank canvas, a few stray lines of paint here and there, waiting to be impressed upon with his every thought, vision, feeling, and inspiration?

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
It was gonna be a bunch of swirly stick figures. That was also in the tweet thing.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

It's for the best that Ed didn't stay. Grandpa probably would have suspected something was up, started questioning him, and find out that Spencer is the worst teacher.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, Ed staying and just being there would've probably meant enough for Izzie, even if he stayed silent but by her side.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ed faults himself for not sticking by isabel, therefore he is naive and a baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Tollymain posted:

ed faults himself for not sticking by isabel, therefore he is naive and a baby

Who also doesn't have enough muscles.