Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

ArtIsResistance posted:

this thread has only ever had two jokes, wildstar bad and ff14 good

City of Heroes and Guild wars get trotted out every few pages as the apex of game design too. God forbid you dislike something about either of those two games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Deki posted:

City of Heroes and Guild wars get trotted out every few pages as the apex of game design too. God forbid you dislike something about either of those two games.

gw1 or 2, this is important

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

gw1 or 2, this is important

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Deki posted:

Well Guild Wars had its problems but CoH was pretty huge and did stuff right that even games that came after it are still messing up, so idunno what you're point here is. :smugdog:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

WarLocke posted:

Well Guild Wars had its problems but CoH was pretty huge and did stuff right that even games that came after it are still messing up, so idunno what you're point here is. :smugdog:

I'm sorry that I didn't treat your furry dressup simulator game with the proper reverence.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Deki posted:

I'm sorry that I didn't treat your furry dressup simulator game with the proper reverence.

Nah Champions is over that way

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Deki posted:

there's still a COH thread and that game has been shut down for a while. The people who post in that thread always mention it as a badge of pride

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

How's the city revamps coming?

Significant art changes aren't in the cards for a while, but there are some interim changes coming that address most of the major day-to-day concerns in the meantime.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Someone explain this avatar, please. I get the cupcake thing, but what's the deal with fracture? Did Belzac say something dumb?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
The XIV thread has many in jokes and anger.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Glamour's are entirely player driven, which ties into them wanting to give crafters more ways to make money. (particularly in the lower/mid range). Which honestly most of the time a crafter makes money in FFXIV is by making extremely expensive gear that although functional is mostly used to look prettier.

I think the best example of a weird decision that makes sense in context is the relic weapon grind. On a game that isn't really that grindy you have a massive chain of quests with tons of grind. Most people going through the chain hate it. But a single :spergin: going through the chain helps dozens, maybe hundreds of newbies going through content for the first time, directly influencing their quality of life. Its that sort of design thats made FFXIV pretty popular.

On the other side you have games that just fail to retain new blood because their early leveling experience is a wasteland. (Like wildstar)

FFXIV is a game i would consider highly grindy compared to any game made by non jap(ane)s(e)

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

Someone explain this avatar, please. I get the cupcake thing, but what's the deal with fracture? Did Belzac say something dumb?

Fracture is a terrible skill in ffxiv and Belzac regularly Belzacs the ffxiv thread.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Spoken like a true xiv thread poster.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Belzac posted:

Spoken like a true xiv thread poster.

:patriot:

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Belzac posted:

The XIV thread has many in jokes and anger.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!
They release the quarterly numbers yet? Since Carbine/NCSoft doesn't like to talk sub numbers for obvious reasons its all we have at the moment.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Earnings call for Q1 2015 for NCsoft is May 12, Korean time. I think the English release will only come out the 13th.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
*mails another recipe for Liquid Courage to Stormgale*

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Martout posted:

*mails another recipe for Liquid Courage to Stormgale*

Truth
Feb 24, 2005
Do goons still play this bad/not bad game.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Goons will play just about any MMO no matter how lovely it is. There are even some Goons playing Archeage Age, a game that was described by someone who is paid to practically felate MMOs as a "dumpster fire".

As far as I can tell there are no goons playing Wildstar at this point. This level of poo poo is unprecedented.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Truth posted:

Do goons still play this bad/not bad game.

Is expect some might come back after it goes b2/f2. I still have an active sub since I always pay a year at a time. From idly logging in over the last week or so to mess around the game at least feels like it should have when it was released.

Dungeons can be easily completed in a pug party finder group, veteran ship hands are pretty fun. Itemization and runes are completely different. There's no rating on pvp gear anymore. A bunch of the performance issues are fixed.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
On the other hand I read that the latest patch was causing massive fps loss to a fair number of people thanks to certain parts of their UI they re-enabled or something

how does your own ui lag your game

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

SarutosZero posted:

Bad dev choices, bad UI choices.

Another lovely game, Global Agenda, used some outdated Unreal Engine 1 built-in stuff to render its UI. Turning off the loving radar would routinely give you 15-20 bonus FPS because the redraw call was so inefficient.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Its not so much a thing now because WoW has locked down the scripting so much but back in the good old days of discord action bars and cooperative healing you could easily kill your pc with your ui.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What happened to Archeage? It seemed really hot for a while.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Trion happened, along with people realizing just how RNG-driven Archeage is.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Schubalts posted:

Trion happened, along with people realizing just how RNG-driven Archeage is.

And how much emphasis Archeage PvP put on gear locked behind the RNG.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

SarutosZero posted:

Ask Cryptic. If you try to run Star Trek Online on a slow enough machine, you can watch the UI refresh line by line while the playfield chugs along.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 11, 2015

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Byolante posted:

Its not so much a thing now because WoW has locked down the scripting so much but back in the good old days of discord action bars and cooperative healing you could easily kill your pc with your ui.

You can still lag your game pretty easily with WoW's UI; it's just that the intervening 10 years they've had a chance to make their UI APIs much more efficient, and computing horsepower has gotten 10 years' faster as well.

Wildstar, like everything else they did, apparently never bothered to put the finishing details on optimizing their UI addon APIs -- considering the raw game engine itself had a hard time keeping a reasonable framerate in places, it's no surprise that adding some Lua per-frame on top of that would make it even slower.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEUmGnzkQ1k

what a fun boss

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

I've seen more people in one spot in Tera.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
That's a pretty nice slide show of a bird.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Why look, that appears to be every single person still playing Wildstar.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It looks like someone attacked the Svanir Shaman with one of those shader injectors.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
At least this game can never be as bad as Superman 64 no matter how hard it tries.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3688694

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
thanks for advertising your let's play, rear end in a top hat

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Holyshoot posted:

At least this game can never be as bad as Superman 64 no matter how hard it tries.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3688694

i'd much rather beat superman 64 than grind to cap in another lovely theme park

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
You forgot the best part of that video, one of the comments on it:

quote:

Edited after seeing multiple posts like this on reddit:

TL;DR: Wildstar is a far better game that it was at launch, the player population is steadily on the rise, but this video is misleading and toxic to returning players who assume player volume such as this exists all over Nexus. They will resub with ill-informed assumptions, be disappointed, quit again, and proceed to talk poo poo about Wildstar stopping the progress this great community has fought so hard for.

Firstly, I want WildStar to succeed and step back into the glory it deserves, but posts like this ARE NOT HELPING, and here’s why:

At first glance and without any prior knowledge this is incredibly
misleading to any person looking to resub. The Wildstar community is awesome
please don’t tarnish it by attempting to trick players to resub, and then make
them hate themselves for it which leads to them spreading bullshit about how
Wildstar is still awful and telling all their friends DON’T RESUB! Just because
they were duped by posts like this.

For all those looking at this, what you're seeing is a good thing yes, it is the revival of old content now made relevant again by Carbine adding in Contracts in which players are highly rewarded for completing certain tasks.

What's misleading here? Welp, Wildstar has megaservers.This is a PvE server. (Wildstar’s PvP server has been in steady decline [check relevant posts as to why]). This Video portrays both factions simultaneously fighting. What does that mean? Since you cannot raid with members of other factions this population here is cut in half, so you won’t see troves of people running around as you are lead to believe by watching this video.

There are many a GREAT reasons to return to Wildstar, and yes, one of them is that Wildstar’s player population has steadily been on the rise! BUT the sudden massive boom of players as this video portrays is not entirely accurate, and I believe will only mislead and disappoint returning players that assume player volume of this magnitude exists always and
everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

quote:

Firstly, I want WildStar to succeed and step back into the glory it deserves,

Wildstar was never in a real position of glory in the first place.

• Locked thread