Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jimbot posted:

What's the widely considered "point of decline" for the series?

The minute they start babbling about super soldiers, stop watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Jimbot posted:

What's the widely considered "point of decline" for the series?

season 6, after the movie and the move to LA

Sure, there are some good MOTW episodes after that point, but the whole feel of the show is different and the average level of quality is a lower IMO

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I still like a lot of 7 and 8 (7 is way way better than 8 though). The structure of it is different though, because they suddenly become a lot more high concept, like even more high concept than the X-Files normally is. So it really depends on episode on episode.

9 is just sad. About 2 good episodes in it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Copper Vein posted:

Why the gently caress does Tooms spend so much time crawling through poo poo pipes trying to pop out of toilets when he could get plenty livers out of peoples on the street?

They write his episodes like the only way to get away with 5 murders in thirty years is to pick victims that are locked up so tight in their houses that the investigators will think that the murderer couldn't have possibly worked for the animal control dept. But of course Mulder starts pawing at the air vent as two seconds after he enters the crime scene.

I thought the exact same thing, even if you are a mutant who can crawl through pipes, you can still just break into houses the old fashioned way. I guess the justification is that using these non-traditional entry points makes it more difficult to trace him, especially when the transformation distorts his identifying features.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mr.capps posted:

I still like a lot of 7 and 8 (7 is way way better than 8 though). The structure of it is different though, because they suddenly become a lot more high concept, like even more high concept than the X-Files normally is. So it really depends on episode on episode.

9 is just sad. About 2 good episodes in it.

Season 7 is probably the most uneven one, it contains both some of the best, and some of the worst episodes peppered throughout.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

steinrokkan posted:

I thought the exact same thing, even if you are a mutant who can crawl through pipes, you can still just break into houses the old fashioned way. I guess the justification is that using these non-traditional entry points makes it more difficult to trace him, especially when the transformation distorts his identifying features.

I think Tooms doesn't do things the easy way because he enjoys the hunt. How would you feel if you only got to "live" for a week every 30 years?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I think the shots where the colour drains away from everyone except his target is supposed to show that he 'fixates' on specific targets, rather than that it's a conscious choice.
I dunno. Maybe he's just autistic.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, he's supposed to be a predator who just looks human most of the time and can act well enough that he doesn't get caught during his outings.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
There are multiple points where you can says started to deteriorate. Most commonly, these are the points people point to:
- Moving to LA after season 5 and the movie
- Wrapping up the syndicate story (season 6)
- Duchovny becomes part time (end of season 7)
- Duchovny is completely gone (end of season 8)

One of the things about season 8 and 9 that would be completely different nowadays is that back then the network could keep secrets much longer. Season 8 and 9 a huge part of the plot and the promotion of the series was based around "will Duchovny show up in this one?" There were at least 2 or 3 episodes that were all about teasing that Duchovny is totally going to appear, only he doesn't (the one where he is coming back on a train, the one with Spender disfigured to look like him). Nowadays those things would be spoilered immediately.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

joepinetree posted:

One of the things about season 8 and 9 that would be completely different nowadays is that back then the network could keep secrets much longer. Season 8 and 9 a huge part of the plot and the promotion of the series was based around "will Duchovny show up in this one?" There were at least 2 or 3 episodes that were all about teasing that Duchovny is totally going to appear, only he doesn't (the one where he is coming back on a train, the one with Spender disfigured to look like him). Nowadays those things would be spoilered immediately.

That's such a good point. I remember watching week-to-week, even during season 9, just in the hopes of seeing Mulder come back that week. FOX's advertising sure did work well on my feeble 14 year old brain.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
So that episode where Mulder's creeper writer neighbor kinda sorta seduces Scully has to have been one of the show writer's self-insert wish-fulfillment fan-fic, right?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel like Charles Nelson Reilly as Jose Chung is probably really close to Darren Morgan's everyday self, but also that he probably didn't notice.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Copper Vein posted:

So that episode where Mulder's creeper writer neighbor kinda sorta seduces Scully has to have been one of the show writer's self-insert wish-fulfillment fan-fic, right?

Milagro. Written by Chris Carter, about Chris Carter, for Chris Carter.

Though, against my better judgement, I actually quite like it. John Hawkes is very good in it, it's a Scully episode, and it's got a whole bunch of cool directorial touches (probably there from the beginning in Carter's scripts, his are always very director-y).

But if the show was making really self-indulgent episodes about how difficult it is to be an X-Files writer, as much as I empathise, that's generally the point where you want to go away and write something else.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Jimbot posted:

What's the widely considered "point of decline" for the series? I used to watch the show all the time and I thought the first movie was pretty awesome and set up the end-game for the mythology episodes but funny enough I kind of stopped watching the show after the movie. I've watched the first two seasons and half of the third again, so far and aside from a few mediocre episodes, contrivances (Oh hey, we missed each other's call by like one second a dozen times! HAW), and TV idiot logic (Why yes, I'll explore a dark room with an unknown monster in it by myself thankyouverymuch), I'm reminded at how solid the show was, especially the mythology episodes as the show went on. The string of episodes from season's two finale to the first couple episodes of season three are really freaking good.

It's hard to pinpoint a single point of decline because the show was inconsistent throughout its entire run.

The first season has some great stuff and also some of the worst episodes ever (like "Space"). A lot of episodes in the second and (I think) third season felt like a potpourri of random unrelated ideas that the writing staff thought it would be cool to put together, like "Blood":

quote:

The genesis for "Blood" was Glen Morgan's own hematophobia,[2] combined with the controversy over malathion spraying in Southern California and a note between writers Morgan and Wong that simply read "Postal Workers".[3] In addition, series creator Chris Carter had been wanting an episode of The X-Files to feature a story revolving around digital readouts.[4] Morgan and Wong decided to use the digital readout idea, crafting a script that turned "regular things," like fax machines and cell phones, into something "scary."[4] The 1966 shooting massacre at the University of Texas was the inspiration for the story's climax,[2]

Season six was probably the lowest point of the entire series IMO, because the corny comedy episodes became less of a fun occasional novelty and started to overtake the rest of the show. (Also they got a lot worse.) Season six does have the great episode "Field Trip" though, which is one of my favorites from the whole series.

Mulder's departure is usually cited as the point where the show loses its way, but I found that getting him out of the picture for a while actually improved the show, by forcing it to change up its comfortable formula at least a bit. Seven seasons of Mulder immediately figuring everything out and everyone else always getting it wrong became pretty groanworthy. Mulder's brief return and immediate second departure were handled really badly, though, and the character motivations get pretty questionable. I'm not abducted by aliens anymore, now I'm just an absentee father! See ya Scully, the truth is out there! I guess after doing a fakeout "does Mulder die???" at the end of nearly every season, they finally ran out of believable ways to get him out of the picture when they actually needed to.

In general the show has a lot of fun monster of the week episodes throughout its entire run, and some hilarious trainwrecks like "First Person Shooter", which is worth watching for its sheer terribleness.

The biggest disappointment, though, is that none of the ongoing storylines really go anywhere, because the writers got bored with them, ran out of ideas, or just forgot. One season opens with a big multi-part thing about Scully researching a crashed alien spacecraft with inscriptions on it. It's built up as a big important thing, but then we go back to monster-of-the-week episodes and the spacecraft isn't mentioned again at all until a random episode 3 seasons later, which doesn't resolve anything or lead anywhere important. There's a big deal about a massive conspiracy to steal Scully's baby which turns out to have psychic abilities (yes, really), and after it's built up as something supposedly super important to the X-Files world, the plotline is dropped like a rock by Scully just giving the baby up for adoption and it never mattering again. Basically every ongoing plot thread in the X-Files is unceremoniously dropped like that.

I did still enjoy watching the show in spite of it, but I feel like the writing depends pretty heavily on the expectation that most people in the audience won't actually see every episode, and that people will just assume that the cool mysteries that were supposed to be earth-shatteringly important in the last episode got somehow resolved in an episode they must have missed.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Copper Vein posted:

this is the storyline of a bunch of episodes, just replace neighbor with whatever character the writers were using at that time.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Frankly, the signs that the conspiracy plot line was never going to go anywhere showed up a lot earlier. I was super pumped to see the resolution of the season 2 cliffhanger back in the day, and my brother managed to get his hands on a NTSC tape of the season 3 opener from the US, which he converted to PAL at a friend's. Remember when Mulder found a train car full of dead bodies buried in the desert, nevermind that they were alien-humand hybrid experiments? Nothing ever comes of that. No one investigates it, no one cares, no one goes public. That's the point where you realize that Mulder's hunt for the truth will never go anywhere, and they'll always return to the status quo. I was a lot less excited about the X-files after that, even if a lot of the best stuff was yet to come.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Hannibal Rex posted:

Frankly, the signs that the conspiracy plot line was never going to go anywhere showed up a lot earlier. I was super pumped to see the resolution of the season 2 cliffhanger back in the day, and my brother managed to get his hands on a NTSC tape of the season 3 opener from the US, which he converted to PAL at a friend's. Remember when Mulder found a train car full of dead bodies buried in the desert, nevermind that they were alien-humand hybrid experiments? Nothing ever comes of that. No one investigates it, no one cares, no one goes public. That's the point where you realize that Mulder's hunt for the truth will never go anywhere, and they'll always return to the status quo. I was a lot less excited about the X-files after that, even if a lot of the best stuff was yet to come.

You mean that was firebombed and Skinner then used the Navaho to protect Mulder and Scully.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bobkatt013 posted:

You mean that was firebombed and Skinner then used the Navaho to protect Mulder and Scully.

This is where you pucker up and kiss my rear end

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I do remember being pretty pissed off when season 5 started and they reveal that Mulder didn't really kill himself.. The S4 finale was such a shocking moment and then just NOPE, back to the same 'ol. I think that's when I started to check out.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

bobkatt013 posted:

So did the Navajo code talkers all just live their lives knowing about these alien human hybrids that were happening? Skinner says he had the documents recited to quite a few people and I have to imagine that at least a few of them would do a double take at the random alien conspiracy poo poo that they were just told.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

piratepilates posted:

So did the Navajo code talkers all just live their lives knowing about these alien human hybrids that were happening? Skinner says he had the documents recited to quite a few people and I have to imagine that at least a few of them would do a double take at the random alien conspiracy poo poo that they were just told.

I always figured Skinner was bluffing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

piratepilates posted:

He could have been bluffing and he made it so that not one knew all the information. It was spread all through the tribes.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Bad Blood is my fav episode because of bitchy Scully from Mulder's retelling of events. Recommend other episodes to fuel my Agent Scully ball-torture fetish? The scene with Spender from Triangle was also pretty choice.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Copper Vein posted:

Bad Blood is my fav episode because of bitchy Scully from Mulder's retelling of events. Recommend other episodes to fuel my Agent Scully ball-torture fetish? The scene with Spender from Triangle was also pretty choice.

War of the Coprophages, aka the episode where Scully was right.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Rewatching the series a few episodes at a time and I'm up to the season 6 opener. I think my favourite little ongoing gag is Mulder's irrational hatred of the Ice Capades. He hates it so much...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gobbeldygook posted:

War of the Coprophages, aka the episode where Scully was right.

Well, they never talk about what that drat roach bot was about.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You know, I kind of wish from the get-go they set up these events to be open-ended. I'm on season 4 right now and it's just nuts to me that Scully is even more skeptical than she was in earlier seasons. In season 1 they kind of did this by making them government experiments and other secret things instead of having them be aliens (or using government experiments to mask the alien angle), so Scully does have an out in her arguments with Mulder but as the seasons went on they just dropped that poo poo and went full paranormal/extraterrestrial and Scully just comes off as someone who closes her eyes and covers her ears shout "lalalalala I can't hear you!" which frustrates me to no end, especially after all the weird poo poo she has seen and experienced. I think I'm starting to remember why I kind of stopped watching the series after the movie, this frustration is familiar. It does her character a major disservice. I mean, season 4's Scully would call an alien beaming down from a clear as crystal UFO in the middle of the day and tell her "yeah, we're real. Sup?" as swamp gas reflecting the light of Venus.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Any word when the rest of the series will be uploaded to HD on netflix?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

January 24 was just announced as the premiere date. http://www.fox.com/article/fox-announces-new-primetime-series-for-2015-2016-season

quote:

THRILLING EVENT SERIES “THE X-FILES” BEGINS
FOLLOWING NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME SUNDAY, JANUARY 24

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Smilin' Spooky Mulder

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

And just like the olden days, its gonna be delayed/ have the opening chopped off by a game going long

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Hmm I might need a new avatar. ...

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wonder if they'll use the same old opening with Mulder and Scully looking surprised at Tooms's dilapidated hotel room from Squeeze. Did they ever update that one with Mulder and Scully or did they just keep it until Doggett came on?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jimbot posted:

I wonder if they'll use the same old opening with Mulder and Scully looking surprised at Tooms's dilapidated hotel room from Squeeze. Did they ever update that one with Mulder and Scully or did they just keep it until Doggett came on?

They didn't change the intro until like 2001, which only revealed how incredibly dated it was. I don't remember if they grabbed a new set of five frames from a more recent episode or just went without.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

In the very last season, don't they change the intro a few times? I at least remember that the very last episode has its own intro which stuffs like everybody into it, and also has a split-second reference to both DS9 and the Star Wars comics.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Chairman Capone posted:

In the very last season, don't they change the intro a few times? I at least remember that the very last episode has its own intro which stuffs like everybody into it, and also has a split-second reference to both DS9 and the Star Wars comics.

I don't know about the DS9 and Star Wars references, but the final episode's intro just added Duchovny to the standard season 9 intro, which listed Anderson, Patrick, Gish, and Pileggi as the leads.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
8 is definitely different, mainly adding the falling Duchovny at the end(although I don't know how long into the season they keep that)

9 is updated too. The old one is way better and the stills from "Squeeze" are iconic. Wonder what they'll do for the new series.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

What was the episode where Dogget was killed and then brought back to life by the throw up monster? I couldn't get over the fact for the rest of the series every time I saw him he was made of some monster barf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

What was the episode where Dogget was killed and then brought back to life by the throw up monster? I couldn't get over the fact for the rest of the series every time I saw him he was made of some monster barf.

The Gift, a season 8 episode that was terrible just for the fact that it wasted one of Duchovny's season 8 episodes on him doing flashbacks.

• Locked thread