Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

VagueRant posted:

"How dare you report things you reasonably thoroughly checked out at the time?" Like sure, it sucks in retrospect that the government was manipulating the press so bad, but what were they supposed to do without prior knowledge? Why be so angry at reporters for reporting rather than the actual politicians behind it all?

If you're reporting on what someone says without verifying, questioning or otherwise hedging the information you're receiving, you are a not a journalist, you're propaganda.

The media outsourced journalism to the government, accepted what was told to them at face value, and will accept no responsibility for being wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

VagueRant posted:

Why be so angry at reporters for reporting rather than the actual politicians behind it all?

Pretty sure this is a case of "as well as", not "rather than." They've spent over a decade taking the Bush administration to task for their role.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Also if she had said, yes I messed up and didn't verify properly which allowed me to be manipulated for the government's purposes Stewart wouldn't have been hounding her. She just refused to take any actual responsibility for it. I mean she wrote a loving book about how they got things wrong but then refused to admit that it was a massive journalistic failure or even individual journalists being manipulated. That poo poo's infuriating. I'm with John on that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Also if she had said, yes I messed up and didn't verify properly which allowed me to be manipulated for the government's purposes Stewart wouldn't have been hounding her. She just refused to take any actual responsibility for it. I mean she wrote a loving book about how they got things wrong but then refused to admit that it was a massive journalistic failure or even individual journalists being manipulated. That poo poo's infuriating. I'm with John on that.

Thing is she did do all that as well as was possible. The intelligence community hosed up, they and the hawk fucks Rumsfeld and Cheney and the imbecile Bush are the ones more to blame. I mean it's easy to say in hindsight she should have known, but how could she really?

Crucifying a journalist that reported on what by all accounts was, at the time, the consensus of the intelligence at the time is cathartic but not really needed or useful. Everyone pretty much signed off on the two wars of the 2000s who had any say. I was against it then in spite of that reporting, but I don't feel the need to get super pissed at this lady, in my mind it was STILL poo poo we shouldn't have gotten involved in even if it was accurate. You can argue that we were misled, but if you were in favor of Bush's actions you're just as culpable as this reporter lady.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

D1Sergo posted:

If you're reporting on what someone says without verifying, questioning or otherwise hedging the information you're receiving, you are a not a journalist, you're propaganda.
Isn't that every single white house press conference...?

I mean how much more could she have verified anything?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
She not only is not willing to admit her own failure (which really now; "how much more could she have verified"? we started a loving war partly on this information) she is also not willing to admit that she was at minimum completely taken for a ride.

My sympathy is currently going to the more needy.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Well that wasn't a bad episode. I wouldn't call it great, but I didn't really cringe at anything.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jessica Williams, walking among human dildos.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Jessica Williams, walking among human dildos.

There were moments in that report where if I were her, I'd be kind of concerned for my safety. The people there were particularly crazy.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Nichael posted:

There were moments in that report where if I were her, I'd be kind of concerned for my safety. The people there were particularly crazy.

That one popular bigot in particular seemed ready for violence.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Why is the daily show convinced the supreme court with five strict constructionists on the bench are going to okay gay marriage? The news says it's all up to chief justice kennedy, he's already made history by agreeing obamacare can be a tax, he's got nothing to gain and all his questions have been leaning towards "it's weird and I don't like it."

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Krinkle posted:

Why is the daily show convinced the supreme court with five strict constructionists on the bench are going to okay gay marriage? The news says it's all up to chief justice kennedy, he's already made history by agreeing obamacare can be a tax, he's got nothing to gain and all his questions have been leaning towards "it's weird and I don't like it."

Kennedy is not the Chief Justice, that's Roberts. Kennedy has already been the swing vote on three other gay rights decisions. His question during oral arguments hinted pretty strongly that he'll go the same way on this one. It will be 5-4, with a very outside chance of a 6-3 with Roberts deciding he doesn't want to be on the wrong side of history.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Nichael posted:

Why did that one guy assume she was a lesbian?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

raditts posted:

No concept of allies.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

raditts posted:

If you are not explicitly a disgusting and hate-filled human being, then you're probably gay. I imagine that's how they view the world.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

raditts posted:

Big Law and Order fan

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Kennedy is not the Chief Justice, that's Roberts. Kennedy has already been the swing vote on three other gay rights decisions. His question during oral arguments hinted pretty strongly that he'll go the same way on this one. It will be 5-4, with a very outside chance of a 6-3 with Roberts deciding he doesn't want to be on the wrong side of history.

There are too many justices please reduce them by four so I can keep them in order.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Krinkle posted:

There are too many justices please reduce them by four so I can keep them in order.

The lazyass in time that slayed nine.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Kennedy has already been the swing vote on three other gay rights decisions.

Not only that, but Kennedy wrote those decisions. (Assuming you mean Romer v. Evans, Lawrence v. Texas, and United States v. Windsor, at least.) There's technically a chance that Kennedy will back away from putting the finishing touches on his legacy, but I wouldn't put money on it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I loving hate Ted Cruz's face. It looks like a melting wax figurine and it's just so punchable.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Good to know Mike Huckabee is less of a psychopath than his son.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jon has Ernest Moniz on to talk about nuclear issues, and all I can think is that the guy looks like his own political cartoon caricature.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

VagueRant posted:

This thread is making me glad I gave up on TNS after week two. But I kinda wish it had a separate thread so I didn't have to wade through that mire looking for TDS stuff.

You're missing out.

TNS is still in its early days, and is clearly trying different things to suit its audience. Last night's show was loving fantastic.

There's obviously a ton of people on this thread making GBS threads all over TNS, but it's going through its growing pains, and it's still good in spite of all the ridiculous vitriol. It's had some really unfortunate missteps here and there (Mike Tyson as a lauded guest after the much-deserved ridicule heaped on Bill Cosby), but that's rarely mentioned. Goons goon and (etc whatever) :suicide:

So, mire away, I guess.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 7, 2015

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Yeah TNS still has its share of misses, but it has been solid the last couple weeks. Dare I say the Baltimore riots were a turning point for the show?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Jon has Ernest Moniz on to talk about nuclear issues, and all I can think is that the guy looks like his own political cartoon caricature.

While true, would you say that was a bad interview? He seemed interestingly transparent. I wouldn't have expected him to be so obviously coy with "we will verify" or whatever. This show was weird for me, because the guy looks like a caricature of a British PM, but he seemed pretty comfortable getting right to the brink of confidential disclosure.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

kittenmittons posted:

Yeah TNS still has its share of misses, but it has been solid the last couple weeks. Dare I say the Baltimore riots were a turning point for the show?

Definitely. It was legit bad for a good while there with only a worthwhile episode here and there despite Old Boot's tired "hurr goons" comment, but it got slightly better when they dialed back the panel and reduced it to 3 people and the last week has been solid. The making GBS threads on it got beforehand though was well deserved.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Yeah, I'm a bit curious about the whole 'Beloved Mike Tyson' thing these days. I guess, since he did go to jail for it, all is forgiven and he can have cartoons now?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think its abundantly clear that TNS is great at covering things through a racial lense - and topics like Cosby, police brutality, or rioter's motivations really have led to great episodes.

But the further they get from that, the dicier everything gets.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Steve Vader posted:

Yeah, I'm a bit curious about the whole 'Beloved Mike Tyson' thing these days. I guess, since he did go to jail for it, all is forgiven and he can have cartoons now?
This should have been his punishment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKE9W0O8bX8

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Steve Vader posted:

Well, that is the way the system is "supposed" to work, so I guess?
Seems like he's turned himself around and rehabbed his image in a big way in the last decade or so as well. I think his cameo in the Hangover movies helped too

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Well, that is the way the system is "supposed" to work, so I guess?
Seems like he's turned himself around and rehabbed his image in a big way in the last decade or so as well. I think his cameo in the Hangover movies helped too

All OJ needs is a Naked Gun reboot and a face tattoo?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

All OJ needs is a Naked Gun reboot and a face tattoo?

Well, murder's probably a bit tougher for people to look past, also the fact that he didn't get convicted for said murders.
But it's not totally implausible that he could have rehabbed his image, if he didn't go on to continue being a psychopath and wind up in jail anyway.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

ultramiraculous posted:

While true, would you say that was a bad interview? He seemed interestingly transparent. I wouldn't have expected him to be so obviously coy with "we will verify" or whatever. This show was weird for me, because the guy looks like a caricature of a British PM, but he seemed pretty comfortable getting right to the brink of confidential disclosure.

I honestly can't say. I got distracted with work during it. The initial part seemed a step above the usual guest fare.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Nightly was solid this week; I almost want to say it's a permanent improvement; it helps they didn't limit their coverage of Baltimore to one episode.

But I do get the sense that there's still a much lower "quality ceiling" than TDS or the Report. We haven't gotten that one moment yet where people will look back years from now and be like "That was a really good bit" when Colbert practically knocked it out of the park on Day One.

I know comparing Nightly to Colbert is unfair, but Colbert's also the future competition.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I want a Daily Show Choose Your Own Adventure.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I want a half hour of the rubber dinosaur movie

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Echo Chamber posted:

Nightly was solid this week; I almost want to say it's a permanent improvement; it helps they didn't limit their coverage of Baltimore to one episode.

But I do get the sense that there's still a much lower "quality ceiling" than TDS or the Report. We haven't gotten that one moment yet where people will look back years from now and be like "That was a really good bit" when Colbert practically knocked it out of the park on Day One.

I know comparing Nightly to Colbert is unfair, but Colbert's also the future competition.

They still need to come up with some bits that work too, pretty much all the ones they've done so far have been cringeworthy.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

raditts posted:

Definitely. It was legit bad for a good while there with only a worthwhile episode here and there despite Old Boot's tired "hurr goons" comment, but it got slightly better when they dialed back the panel and reduced it to 3 people and the last week has been solid. The making GBS threads on it got beforehand though was well deserved.

It's not exactly tired when the reason for 'hurr goons' gets tired in the first place.

TNS was bound to go through growing pains. They have two huge acts to follow. Viewing it through that lens, the mistakes weren't nearly as bad as they were trumped up to be. That isn't saying they weren't bad, but the hyperbole got pretty intense when the show first aired.

I'm not surprised that they weren't entirely sure what direction to take. How could you know? Colbert had a character he could act as, and was incredibly talented at performing satire, and repeating that would seem like a cheat. Wilmore has always been incredibly talented when it came to commentary on TDS, and doing a satire for the first black late-night show host would seem really awkward. So, basically, it had to be NOT Colbert 2.0, and NOT TDS 2.0. It was, and is, a hairy situation in terms of defining a new show, especially since I'm sure CC was pushing as hard as it could to create a new brand once Colbert got replaced.

So, instead of the hurr goons comment, I'll say this: poo poo on it, sure, but spraying hot 'I just ate a table's worth of bad thai food' diarrhea all over it is another entirely. They hosed up, they made missteps, and I'll be the first to agree that some of the guests they had on absolutely did not deserve to be there (edit: vaccine lady), but it's still growing pains.

It was never going to be Colbert straight out of the gate, but it has a lot of aspects that have sustained pretty well so far.

I'm not 100% pleased by it in general, I do have a lot of qualms with some of the content, but it has gotten better, and I hope to see it continue get better. If it doesn't? Well, gently caress, I'm wrong, but keeping it on the air to see where that path leads always seemed pretty worthwhile.

EDIT: Also, having the wildly opposing view of the audience on, and hearing them out, seemed more like a suit's dumbshit idea than anything else, if only as an attempt to snag viewers who wouldn't necessarily watch Colbert or TDS due to what's seen as a 'liberal bias,' so I try not to blame it for that. They've been way better about not bringing in those toxic opinions since then. Maybe I've got rose-colored glasses on in that respect, but the fact that it's been more or less corrected is a good sign.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 8, 2015

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Old Boot posted:

It's not exactly tired when the reason for 'hurr goons' gets tired in the first place.

TNS was bound to go through growing pains. They have two huge acts to follow. Viewing it through that lens, the mistakes weren't nearly as bad as they were trumped up to be. That isn't saying they weren't bad, but the hyperbole got pretty intense when the show first aired.

I'm not surprised that they weren't entirely sure what direction to take. How could you know? Colbert had a character he could act as, and was incredibly talented at performing satire, and repeating that would seem like a cheat. Wilmore has always been incredibly talented when it came to commentary on TDS, and doing a satire for the first black late-night show host would seem really awkward. So, basically, it had to be NOT Colbert 2.0, and NOT TDS 2.0. It was, and is, a hairy situation in terms of defining a new show, especially since I'm sure CC was pushing as hard as it could to create a new brand once Colbert got replaced.

So, instead of the hurr goons comment, I'll say this: poo poo on it, sure, but spraying hot 'I just ate a table's worth of bad thai food' diarrhea all over it is another entirely. They hosed up, they made missteps, and I'll be the first to agree that some of the guests they had on absolutely did not deserve to be there (edit: vaccine lady), but it's still growing pains.

It was never going to be Colbert straight out of the gate, but it has a lot of aspects that have sustained pretty well so far.

I'm not 100% pleased by it in general, I do have a lot of qualms with some of the content, but it has gotten better, and I hope to see it continue get better. If it doesn't? Well, gently caress, I'm wrong, but keeping it on the air to see where that path leads always seemed pretty worthwhile.

EDIT: Also, having the wildly opposing view of the audience on, and hearing them out, seemed more like a suit's dumbshit idea than anything else, if only as an attempt to snag viewers who wouldn't necessarily watch Colbert or TDS due to what's seen as a 'liberal bias,' so I try not to blame it for that. They've been way better about not bringing in those toxic opinions since then. Maybe I've got rose-colored glasses on in that respect, but the fact that it's been more or less corrected is a good sign.
I don't think I'll ever like it even if Larry got better because I don't like panel discussion shows at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
should've picked Olbermann

• Locked thread