Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Clearly that's Kephess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I haven't finished the new story content yet but are we sure that the new emperor isn't kephess

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Ainsley McTree posted:

I haven't finished the new story content yet but are we sure that the new emperor isn't kephess

No, Kephess is the Emperor's bastard son.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
This 12x business is awesome, only way to play. Bounty Hunter Tatooine was shockingly brief, it's like 3 quick speeder rides and you're out of there.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Bunleigh posted:

This 12x business is awesome, only way to play. Bounty Hunter Tatooine was shockingly brief, it's like 3 quick speeder rides and you're out of there.

Now it's time to punch nobles in Alderaan!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is the 55-60 story any good? The Hutta one has been average compared to the 1-50 one for obvious reasons but anything to do with KOTOR has my interest, is it worth actually playing SWTOR instead of using it as a cutscenes-and-flightpaths ride? :v:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Eltoasto posted:

Now it's time to punch nobles in Alderaan!

Yeah that's probably the best planet of the bounty hunter story. It's like a playground of smug faces for you to put your fist in.

Trooper too, come to think of it.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Pierson posted:

Is the 55-60 story any good? The Hutta one has been average compared to the 1-50 one for obvious reasons but anything to do with KOTOR has my interest, is it worth actually playing SWTOR instead of using it as a cutscenes-and-flightpaths ride? :v:

It's arguably better than Makeb.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Pierson posted:

The endgame story is great but be aware that much of it takes place in Operations. There's currently two endgame story arcs, the Dread Master saga and the Revan stuff. If you want to see all of the Dread Master stuff, start with the bonus series on Belsavis, go through all the level 50 ops in order, then TFB (55 op), then SnV (55 op). Then do Oricon and the two ops there. You don't need a full group for the 50 and 55 ops if you do them 8m story so a couple of guildies or even a pug group can see you through. Everything after that (the Revan stuff) can be solo'd as the Operations are optional or not linked to the story.

Though as an aside, your class (and even your faction) don't really come into the endgame story as it's mostly the same for all characters, a few dialogue differences aside. Pick your favourite class to play and go with it!

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

uncurable mlady posted:

It's arguably better than Makeb.

Yeah not the highest of bars considering how soul crushing Makeb is. It's when your clicking the third panel of the third drill site that you start wondering what you're doing with your life.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah the huttes are brutally uninteresting and we already had the 'a new super-resource has been discovered' plotline a few planets back.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

The Sith Warrior story on Rishi is loving AMAZING.

UGH.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pierson posted:

Yeah the huttes are brutally uninteresting and we already had the 'a new super-resource has been discovered' plotline a few planets back.

The Hutts themselves are boring as hell but I think the Imperial story on Makeb is one of the better ones in TOR for feeling like a high-stakes operation where things keep going wrong in increasingly spectacular ways until you're forced to wager it all on an insane scheme for victory.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Cythereal posted:

The Hutts themselves are boring as hell but I think the Imperial story on Makeb is one of the better ones in TOR for feeling like a high-stakes operation where things keep going wrong in increasingly spectacular ways until you're forced to wager it all on an insane scheme for victory.

Yeah I enjoyed the story, its just perhaps how it was played out or set up for the player could be a really huge drag. Also its fun to play buddies with Darth Marr!

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Since I'm getting closer to actually maxing a character's level soon just wondering if you can run Operations fairly well just using the Group Finder?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Le Saboteur posted:

Since I'm getting closer to actually maxing a character's level soon just wondering if you can run Operations fairly well just using the Group Finder?

No

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

The quality of pubbie players even on pretty basic and simple content ranges from, "may be a 4 year old child" to "someone taught a dog how to play this game badly". You can occasionally run something fine from Group Finder, but I'd recommend finding a group looking for a DPS or whatever for a SM run of whatever you want to run and reading the dulfy guide or asking questions as you go through. Don't bother doing HM content with pubbies unless its an old level 50 operation, and even then, they better know what the gently caress is going on.

also don't do this if you are a tank. I would suggest sitting in on a few operations as DPS or a healer to get an idea of what the gently caress is going on.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
Nobody hops into Group Finder individually, for one thing the heat death of the universe would come before a decent Tank queued. People form up pre-made groups then enter Group Finder as a whole so you get the best of both worlds...a group you're comfortable with and you get the Group Finder bonus.

If you're talking Rav/ToS people are going to be a little more picky since it's current content and gear hasn't reached a point this cycle where it can yet replace common sense. Ranged DPS would be the most invisible if you're learning content but heals will get more groups more easily.

I imagine the server would make a difference as well...I'm on Harbinger and pugs are fairly reliable but it's also the most progressed PvE server.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Blasted through IA Tattooine in less than 30 minutes, while undergeared like mad.

12x exp is the new meta.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nice change is that you can buy gear that you're too low a level for from the commendation vendors while leveling. The last time i did 12x it was a pain because I'd go do a run to restock mods at say level 20, but couldn't buy the level 21 ones so I'd have to get 17s.

Would also recommend again transferring a bunch of basic comms from a 60 who has zero use for them to your new character. I sent my smuggler 400 comms along with 400k and he's gonna never have to worry about gear

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Medullah posted:

Nice change is that you can buy gear that you're too low a level for from the commendation vendors while leveling.

Does this only apply to armour? I tried pre-buying a lv22 scattergun last night and it wouldn't let me buy it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

Does this only apply to armour? I tried pre-buying a lv22 scattergun last night and it wouldn't let me buy it.

Maybe. I just put on a set of orange armor and since I'm a gunslinger offhands aren't hard to come by, so I just did mods/armorings/enhancements. Level 19 ones for my level 15 slinger.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Medullah posted:

Maybe. I just put on a set of orange armor and since I'm a gunslinger offhands aren't hard to come by, so I just did mods/armorings/enhancements. Level 19 ones for my level 15 slinger.

Well, I just tried and I couldn't buy any orange/blues that I'm not high enough level to equip regardless of weapon/offhand/armour. I could buy mods of a higher level though. :iiam:

e: This is on the fleet, I dunno if for some reason planet vendors work differently.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Medullah posted:

Would also recommend again transferring a bunch of basic comms from a 60 who has zero use for them to your new character.

By way of bind to legacy gear right?

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

By way of bind to legacy gear right?

That would only transfer the mods that went into the gear. Most of the mods/enhancements/armorings/etc. that you can buy with comms are Bind on Equip, so you can just mail legacy-bank them directly and then (unless it's been patched) redeem them for comms.

HundredBears fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 8, 2015

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So has there been any mention of future 12x boosts, or even when this one will end?

Can't really make this one unless it'll keep going past September, and even then it'll be rough.

I just want it to be a buyable resource I can keep up forever!

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Rookersh posted:

So has there been any mention of future 12x boosts, or even when this one will end?

Can't really make this one unless it'll keep going past September, and even then it'll be rough.

I just want it to be a buyable resource I can keep up forever!

They said it will be around until the fall.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Thinking of picking this up, I enjoyed the beta for what it was but if there is one thing I have problems with in MMOs it's staying entertained long enough to level decently. I only ever got to max level in WoW once, at the end of MOP after playing every expansion for atleast a month or so (for reference).

Is there any benefit to getting a disc, or should I just get the referred account thing setup and buy a sub?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Tabletops posted:

Thinking of picking this up, I enjoyed the beta for what it was but if there is one thing I have problems with in MMOs it's staying entertained long enough to level decently. I only ever got to max level in WoW once, at the end of MOP after playing every expansion for atleast a month or so (for reference).

Is there any benefit to getting a disc, or should I just get the referred account thing setup and buy a sub?
It really is impossible to overstate how fantastic the current boost is. 12x means you can just do the main storylines - all of which are entertaining at worst and fantastic fun at best - and ignore everything else an MMO uses to pad out its runtime. They've made other changes too like giving you a lot of the token you get gear from so you don't fall behind in that either, and as a sub you'll have a bunch of fast-travel options. I did 1-55 in three days of like a couple of hours a day, and that was skipping cutscenes because I had done the character before.

Ignore the discs, use a referral link from someone because they get stuff for doing it, and use mine because I replied fastest: http://www.swtor.com/r/XxSP3V :v:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

HundredBears posted:

That would only transfer the mods that went into the gear. Most of the mods/enhancements/armorings/etc. that you can buy with comms are Bind on Equip, so you can just mail legacy-bank them directly and then (unless it's been patched) redeem them for comms.

I transferred comms using the Droid parts from CZ-198. 100k credits and like 50 basic comms, put them in legacy vault, return with newbie. Now has a good chunk of both comms and credits.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I can't decide what to level! My first 50 was my Sith Warrior and I am leaving him there, and now I have an agent, trooper, consular, Knight all at 10-15 because I keep flip flopping. :negative:

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Well, the class stories happen somewhat one after the other. Not exactly really, some are crisscrossing and others are at the same time. Anyway, If playing them "in order" appeals, you could follow this list - from first to last. Don't know how accurate it is but it looks about right.

Bounty Hunter
Consular
Smuggler
Trooper
Agent
Knight
Warrior
Inquisitor

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

I'm loving the end of the JK storyline as a pseudo DS knight with Scourge going YES DO IT BE BAD WE'RE TOO BUSY TO BE GOOD.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Tabletops posted:

There's no point in getting a disc. If you're looking to play as a sub, you might as well download the game first, and maybe putz around for the first couple of levels as F2P, and if you want to become a subscriber, go buy the Amazon pack. That will get you all caught up on X-packs, two months of subscription time and 2400 Cartel Coins. (Go buy rocket boots with those Cartel coins.)

If you want to maximize the use of a referral link, become a sub first, or at least preferred, wait until your subscription lapses, then click on a referral link. That way you also get a free week as a sub. It's a better deal than clicking on a referral link as F2P.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Buy the Amazon pack, it's literally the best deal ever. $30 for two months subscription, 2400 coins, and the Revan expanding.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Buy the Amazon pack, it's literally the best deal ever. $30 for two months subscription, 2400 coins, and the Revan expanding.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Fat_Cow posted:

I can't decide what to level! My first 50 was my Sith Warrior and I am leaving him there, and now I have an agent, trooper, consular, Knight all at 10-15 because I keep flip flopping. :negative:

Agent. Then Knight. If you like the story portions of the game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Utnayan posted:

Agent. Then Knight. If you like the story portions of the game.

Do Agent last of whatever you pick... every other story seems like garbage by comparison.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Really enjoying just seeing the story. Way back at release I ended up skipping every cutscene by lvl 30. Also the agent has the best ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Tenzarin posted:

Really enjoying just seeing the story. Way back at release I ended up skipping every cutscene by lvl 30. Also the agent has the best ship.

The trooper ship is getting on my nerves. Whoever laid it out was either drunk or retarded.

We need more repubs playing. It's too quiet over there.

• Locked thread