Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diran
Jan 28, 2014

Symetrique posted:

Here's the link for it. A few minor spoilers I guess

http://teamcoco.com/video/clueless-gamer-witcher-wild-hunt

That was pretty amazing, probably of the funniest he's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Playing through Witcher 2 for the first time. Holy poo poo that harpy quest was awful and maddening. Does anything approach the awfulness of that going forward?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

CortezFantastic posted:

Playing through Witcher 2 for the first time. Holy poo poo that harpy quest was awful and maddening. Does anything approach the awfulness of that going forward?

Which one? The one for the "collector" outside of Vergen?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XcrQyKMFX8

How many francophones do you guys have, Comte?

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

mcbexx posted:

Which one? The one for the "collector" outside of Vergen?

The one where I had to go find a loving dream crystal and battle hundreds of endlessly spawning harpies.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Rinkles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XcrQyKMFX8

How many francophones do you guys have, Comte?

Too drat many (edit: actually I love them)

Like 7

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 8, 2015

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Is the PC version going to have the starting conversation where you get to set the world state or do i need to hustle on finishing my Perfect Witcher 2 Save?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

1stGear posted:

Is the PC version going to have the starting conversation where you get to set the world state or do i need to hustle on finishing my Perfect Witcher 2 Save?

Yes and Yes.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

1stGear posted:

There was some site a goon mentioned earlier where a dude made save files for every playthrough.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

When does this ham come out?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Arglebargle III posted:

When does this ham come out?

The 19th. A week and a half.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I think with the addition of the Batman key, I'm going to get me a 970. Any idea which one I should get or does it matter? I'm looking at pc part picker.

I'm looking at the Zotac ZT-90101-10P GeForce GTX 970 Video Card which is priced the cheapest and has pretty good reviews. I just want to make sure getting this one as opposed to the EVGA one won't make a difference.

Shard fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 8, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spikeguy posted:

I think with the addition of the Batman key, I'm going to get me a 970. Any idea which one I should get or does it matter? I'm looking at pc part picker.

I'm looking at the Zotac ZT-90101-10P GeForce GTX 970 Video Card which is priced the cheapest and has pretty good reviews. I just want to make sure getting this one as opposed to the EVGA one won't make a difference.

I think the MSIs are generally top quality. Different brands of the cards have different coolings and stuff, I think.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I'm starting to think an upgrade from my 7870 (2GB, though) is almost inevitable. How much sense does buying a 970 make at this point (compared to a 960 with 'true' 4GB)? It seems like games are getting increasingly VRAM hungry and I'm not sure if a card that starts making GBS threads itself after 3.5GB is futureproof (as far as that can be said about hardware, anyway). Sorry if that's too off topic.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Spikeguy posted:

The two higher quality ones are the MSI 4G Gaming (best cooling performance, no back plate) and the Asus Strix (still great cooling performance but not as good as the MSI, has a back plate).

Then your next option is one of the Gigabyte cards which are longer cards than the other brands but has all the reference video outputs (hdmi, several display ports, etc). After the gigabyte the fourth option would be one of the EVGAs with the ACX 2.0 cooler (not as good cooling compared to the other custom cooler cards).

Third option is a reference card with a blower (Nvidia's cooler) from Zotac or someone.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
A lot of sense especially with that crazy double bundle atm.
If AMD ever manage to build something that's faster and eats less than 250W, they'll charge 599$ for the privilege.

You want of of these, select your country in the drop-down thing and make sure the shop participates in the nvidia promo
https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx970gaming4g
https://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-strixgtx970dc2oc4gd5
https://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-04gp43975kr

\/ the 4GB 960 is terrible don't buy that please.
You can sell the Witcher code you get for 25$ or so, the Batman Steam key for more.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 8, 2015

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

sauer kraut posted:

A lot of sense especially with that crazy double bundle atm.
If AMD ever manage to build something that's faster and eats less than 250W, they'll charge 599$ for the privilege.

I already bought the Witcher on GOG, but I would definitely play Batman. I guess I could give the code to a friend or something.

What gave me pause was the price difference between the 960 4GB (which if I got it right doesn't have the 3.5GB problem) and the 970, so I was wondering if the 960 might hit a sweet spot.

I appreciate the input, I haven't kept up with video cards at all since I bought the last one years ago.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Thanks guys. I ended up getting the MSI one. I was hesitant to upgrade because I upgraded last year to a 780 with 6 gb internal Ram. But if I sell that I can make up for this one. I'll probably sell it for $425 on Amazon which is more than $100 off the standard price.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Spikeguy posted:

Thanks guys. I ended up getting the MSI one. I was hesitant to upgrade because I upgraded last year to a 780 with 6 gb internal Ram. But if I sell that I can make up for this one. I'll probably sell it for $425 on Amazon which is more than $100 off the standard price.

Did I read this correctly? You are replacing a 780 with a 970?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What the heck resolution are you all playing at?

Also, there's very little difference between a 780 and a 970.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Badly Jester posted:

I already bought the Witcher on GOG, but I would definitely play Batman. I guess I could give the code to a friend or something.

What gave me pause was the price difference between the 960 4GB (which if I got it right doesn't have the 3.5GB problem) and the 970, so I was wondering if the 960 might hit a sweet spot.

I appreciate the input, I haven't kept up with video cards at all since I bought the last one years ago.

That 3.5GB thing is not really a "problem" worth considering. It doesn't change the benchmarks for the card at all. That issue was blown way out of proportion by people misinterpreting the meaning of a very specific benchmark that is not at all indicative of actual memory performance in a gaming/almost any real world environment. Yes the remaining 0.5GB is slightly slower, but the way the card uses it you won't notice that in 99.99999999999% of situations.

e. If you're feeling really spergy: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8935/geforce-gtx-970-correcting-the-specs-exploring-memory-allocation

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Drifter posted:

What the heck resolution are you all playing at?

Also, there's very little difference between a 780 and a 970.

This is true, but since I can get 2 free games with it and sell my card for more than the newer card I'm getting, it's a no brainer for me.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spikeguy posted:

This is true, but since I can get 2 free games with it and sell my card for more than the newer card I'm getting, it's a no brainer for me.

Best of luck to you for that, but I think you may be in for a little surprise between your listing price and someone's buying price.

No worries, though. Are you looking forward to the new batman game? I hope Witcher 3 lets you drift your horse around corners.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Drifter posted:

Best of luck to you for that, but I think you may be in for a little surprise between your listing price and someone's buying price.

No worries, though. Are you looking forward to the new batman game? I hope Witcher 3 lets you drift your horse around corners.

It's one of those things that if someone buys it cool, if not no biggie. I work hard and don't spend my money on anything really and I just really enjoy working on my computer.

The Batman game looked neat and I have all the other ones so hopefully it's good. Also I already have the Witcher 3 reserved. I'm going to see if my friend wants the code. If not, I might just give it away on here.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I want to watch that Conan video but it sounds like there's some moments in it I'd rather see raw.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Spikeguy posted:

It's one of those things that if someone buys it cool, if not no biggie. I work hard and don't spend my money on anything really and I just really enjoy working on my computer.

The Batman game looked neat and I have all the other ones so hopefully it's good. Also I already have the Witcher 3 reserved. I'm going to see if my friend wants the code. If not, I might just give it away on here.

If you end up not selling it, apparently using it as a dedicated PhysX card is A Thing that people do.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm going to play this on low settings at 20-25 FPS and you can't stop me.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Bath house, little hunting, nothing really critical. One instance of "Dude, Where's Ciri" parts is revealed but Conan skips it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Archimago posted:

That 3.5GB thing is not really a "problem" worth considering.

Unless you consider that Nvidia published the wrong technical details, and it took users benchmarking the _published_ figures against the actual devices, which is where the problem actually lay. Its laid out in the link that you included. Although this is the marketing department loving up, it's still quite telling that they didn't actually correct (or even know) about it until the noise was being made.

Also, I suspect that people running 2560 x 1600 (or multi-monitor) are little more than 0.0000000001%, which is where you tend to hit the upper end of the memory.

Solid card, until you get the stuttering

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Archimago posted:

If you end up not selling it, apparently using it as a dedicated PhysX card is A Thing that people do.

How do you do stuff like having 2 graphic cards at once? I only have heard SLI through a bit of my research but I've never gone down that particular rabbit hole.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

The Sharmat posted:

I want to watch that Conan video but it sounds like there's some moments in it I'd rather see raw.

It's really disjointed. I mean Conan spends a bunch of time just bumping into people. I'm adamant about not seeing spoilers and I don't think I know anything I didn't know before hand.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spikeguy posted:

How do you do stuff like having 2 graphic cards at once? I only have heard SLI through a bit of my research but I've never gone down that particular rabbit hole.

SLI needs identical cards.

Dedicated physX cards just needs to be configured correctly in settings. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/How-to-Install-and-Configure-a-Dedicated-PhysX-Video-Card/1763/2
It's kinda pointless though.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 8, 2015

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Badly Jester posted:

The 4gb 960 isn't a sweet spot. The limited memory bandwidth of the 960 means that it's really not fast enough for the extra ram to make a difference. Any benefits are generally only seen when playing at higher than 1080p resolutions, but the 960 can't really handle those higher resolutions at a playable framerate anyway. Save $30 and get the 2gb 960, or bite the bullet and move up to the 970.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Thanks for the help, you guys have given me exactly the answers I was looking for. I simply can't see myself going for another 2GB card, so I guess a 970 it is.

Edit:

I'm upgrading from a Gigabyte 7870 which has pretty good cooling, so that's good to know. I'm kinda done with leaf blowers in my computer.
vvvvvv

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 8, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Badly Jester posted:

Thanks for the help, you guys have given me exactly the answers I was looking for. I simply can't see myself going for another 2GB card, so I guess a 970 it is.

The MSI has got the best quietest heatsink.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Now that I'll have an upgraded rig, I'll have to do the same thing I do everytime I upgrade my gpu. Play Skyrim with 100 mods going.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007
Just saw the first TV trailer for this game today. We're getting there.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Read somewhere else that the game has leaked in the UAE and is already getting streamed on twitch.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

One thing that I find interesting about the marketing of the game is that for any "casual" tv spot (like the Conan segment or anything meant for mass consumption) is that they call it "Witcher: Wild Hunt" rather than "Witcher 3: Wild Hunt". The "III" is even stylized on the box such that it's not immediately identifiable as a 3 rather than just claw marks to go along with the "hunt" theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

Shakugan posted:

One thing that I find interesting about the marketing of the game is that for any "casual" tv spot (like the Conan segment or anything meant for mass consumption) is that they call it "Witcher: Wild Hunt" rather than "Witcher 3: Wild Hunt". The "III" is even stylized on the box such that it's not immediately identifiable as a 3 rather than just claw marks to go along with the "hunt" theme.

Likely just pulling in new people who may feel a little intimidated starting on the 3rd part of a trilogy.

• Locked thread