Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Kalman posted:

Have you guys just not heard of a gross up? (Pretty commonly discussed in conjunction with benefits for gay couples when they're taxable while benefits for married couples aren't.)
I think it's pretty rude to call them gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Kalman posted:

... No, you won't have to pay the same taxes on 1000 pre-tax and 1000 post-tax. That's kind of what post-tax means.

Have you guys just not heard of a gross up? (Pretty commonly discussed in conjunction with benefits for gay couples when they're taxable while benefits for married couples aren't.)

He was dumb to think he was getting a gross up. You're dumb to think that there's no difference.

I work in IT and and I have to make a conscious effort to realize that people aren't aware of what I think is really basic normal stuff. I assume that slaughterhouse workers roll their eyes when people first hear about boltguns and stuff.

Think about how many people completely misunderstand the concept of a tax bracket, do you really think it's normal to understand how gross and net pay are calculated when bonuses are discussed?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

If you receive bonuses, sure.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I work in IT and and I have to make a conscious effort to realize that people aren't aware of what I think is really basic normal stuff. I assume that slaughterhouse workers roll their eyes when people first hear about boltguns and stuff.

Think about how many people completely misunderstand the concept of a tax bracket, do you really think it's normal to understand how gross and net pay are calculated when bonuses are discussed?

I think that if they don't they should probably ask what the phrase "net of taxes" means before getting salty about their signing bonus being treated totally normally.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Don't see anyone claiming tax doesn't have to be paid on bonuses, the question in this case is who should pay them. My understanding of the phrase (backed up by this) "net of tax" is that the figure listed is the amount after appropriate tax has been withheld. I know if I'd gotten a bonus letter saying I was getting $5000 net of tax I'd assume I'd get a check for $5000 and a pay stub with it indicating a gross pay of a higher amount and appropriate taxes deducted from it to reduce it to $5000.

Admittedly, I've never gotten a bonus letter like that and the closest I've come to seeing that behavior are things like $250 gift cards given out as recognition where the bonus amount reported on the pay stub is sufficiently higher to cover the taxes. I'd have to think letters like that would drive payroll crazy, especially if they don't have a W4 or a firm idea of what your tax rate will be.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If someone pays your tax you have to pay tax on the amount they paid for your taxes hahaha.

The irs always wins.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

euphronius posted:

If someone pays your tax you have to pay tax on the amount they paid for your taxes hahaha.

The irs always wins.

You just calculate the amount you need to pay the employee in order to have their after-tax amount come out where you want it to be. It's not actually that hard to do.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

euphronius posted:

The irs always wins.

I have somewhat less respect for the awesome and terrifying power of the IRS since I started working for a financial institution and saw just how much income tax fraud there is out there and just how completely unstoppable it really is. The perpetrators basically never get caught, and up until fairly recently, the general IRS response to people filling out bogus tax returns for dead people was to not even pretend to give any fucks. Now they are at least kind of pretending.

Identity theft in general, it's basically impossible to catch the perpetrators which is one reason why I kind of want to keep all my money in a sock under my bed these days. I figure this will help me save on legal fees someday too, because no lawyer's gonna want to touch my smelly sock money.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

docbeard posted:

I have somewhat less respect for the awesome and terrifying power of the IRS since I started working for a financial institution and saw just how much income tax fraud there is out there and just how completely unstoppable it really is. The perpetrators basically never get caught, and up until fairly recently, the general IRS response to people filling out bogus tax returns for dead people was to not even pretend to give any fucks. Now they are at least kind of pretending.

Identity theft in general, it's basically impossible to catch the perpetrators which is one reason why I kind of want to keep all my money in a sock under my bed these days. I figure this will help me save on legal fees someday too, because no lawyer's gonna want to touch my smelly sock money.

There are plenty of us who get paid almost exclusively in smelly sock money.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

docbeard posted:

Well, pretty much everything gets dropped on the IRS's plate eventually, and Congress seems to have a hard-on for cutting its funding. In addition to monitoring the scraps we call a social safety net, keeping an eye on what constitutes as "charity" and "political action", handling a lot of the funding of the ACA, they still also have to collect taxes. Much easier adminstratively to have everyone hand over their money as they earn it and then let the IRS decide how much to give back to them.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Kalman posted:

You just calculate the amount you need to pay the employee in order to have their after-tax amount come out where you want it to be. It's not actually that hard to do.
This is easy to do so long as you can determine that the employee doesn't have any other sources of income, won't receive any sort of raises or other bonuses throughout the year, and can't do any sort of loss harvesting that might affect income. (I'm not aware of anything that affects income in the third category, but maybe they exist)
edit:
Missed the obvious category of charity.

twodot fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 7, 2015

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Kalman posted:

I think that if they don't they should probably ask what the phrase "net of taxes" means before getting salty about their signing bonus being treated totally normally.

I feel like this was supposed to be a simple question that got blown completely out of proportion. If the offer letter hadn't said anything about taxes, I would have assumed it would be taxed normally, but the wording threw me off. I don't have a legal background, so I asked people who have more experience than I do. For what it's worth, though, my googling beforehand yielded conflicting interpretations, including several references to grossing up.

I thought I'd ask because I couldn't find a straight answer on my own. I figured maybe someone else would say "gee, that *is* an odd way to say that; I wonder why they didn't phrase it as [some other wording]". My question was answered; now I know it's not weird. I'm not "salty." The bonus wasn't a dealmaker, so I'm not upset about how it was taxed.

Thanks to everyone who offered answers, even those who were asses about it. :love:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Don't ask questions in the legal questions thread. This thread is for us to tell you to hire a lawyer.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Don't ask questions in the legal questions thread. This thread is for us to tell you to hire a lawyer.

Hey, hey. Don't even post without consulting a lawyer.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Easier solution: have no employees. Make everyone independent contractors. Issue 1099s at end of year.

Simple.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

euphronius posted:

Easier solution: have no employees. Make everyone independent contractors. Issue 1099s at end of year.

Simple.

The private firm I was with for all of 6 months tried this.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

euphronius posted:

Simple.

Uber, for lawyers?

UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User
I ran into many issues at my university and am looking towards discussing it with a lawyer. How do I find one?

Besides having no idea what to do and being easily overwhelmed, I've run into a few issues. I've found a few websites that list clinics, but they all specifically state that they are to help people prepare for cases, and not actually provide legal representation at all. They also are limited to specific types of cases, such as family or divorce. My biggest obstacle is I'm broke and unemployed, so I already feel like I'm out of luck.

I tried looking at http://www.statebarassociations.org/lrs.htm but there's absolutely nothing there for Utah.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

UserErr0r posted:

I ran into many issues at my university and am looking towards discussing it with a lawyer. How do I find one?

Besides having no idea what to do and being easily overwhelmed, I've run into a few issues. I've found a few websites that list clinics, but they all specifically state that they are to help people prepare for cases, and not actually provide legal representation at all. They also are limited to specific types of cases, such as family or divorce. My biggest obstacle is I'm broke and unemployed, so I already feel like I'm out of luck.

I tried looking at http://www.statebarassociations.org/lrs.htm but there's absolutely nothing there for Utah.

Utah State Bar Association.

UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User
Assuming I have any luck with that:

As someone with no income or assets, what should I expect as far as paying for a lawyer goes? If my case goes anywhere, do I just expect the lawyer to take a decent chunk out of the settlement, assuming I win?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

UserErr0r posted:

Assuming I have any luck with that:

As someone with no income or assets, what should I expect as far as paying for a lawyer goes? If my case goes anywhere, do I just expect the lawyer to take a decent chunk out of the settlement, assuming I win?

Yeah, but that's assuming you have a case with damages.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Yeah, but that's assuming you have a case with damages.

Stop fishing for a new thread-fodder

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

This may be a stupid question, and I plan on consulting a lawyer, but I'm not sure what kind of lawyer I'm looking for.

Short version: I'm in Florida. between 10/2014 and 11/2014, my car was repaired by a dealer, I paid $1250. The next week, the car had the same problem. Dealer told me the work they did didn't repair the car, I needed a new engine. They wouldn't help pay for the engine. It would cost $4000, or they would refund me $900 of the $1250 for work that didn't repair the car and I could get a new car.

I chose not to get a car there. They never paid me the $900. I have a check request and several emails telling me that they sent the check, then it was a mistake, they didn't send it, then they had to talk to the GM. I filed complaint with BBB, they said they'd check into it. Of course they didn't and I rejected their response.

I know I'm looking for a civil trial attorney, but what kind? I see 'breach of contract' and 'mediation' etc, but I want to at least know what kind of lawyer to ask for. Or is this something they wouldn't bother looking into and should I not even bother?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Just a civil attorney. Look for a young, solo attorney.

prestoa
Oct 5, 2012

The general bulletpoint gist of the issue:
January, I had my yearly day of "let us enter and make sure things are cool".
In February, I signed a new 12 month lease, so obviously, things were cool.
In March, a new company took ownership of the Apartment Complex (it's a couple of hundred units).
In mid-April, I received a notice on my door stating that I had 60 days to vacate as they were terminating my lease.
The notice has the following:
"Optional Reasons for termination: Landlord may include the reasons for this termination notice. Oregon Landlord Tenant laws do not require it. The notice is still given "without cause" Resident does not have a right to cure or fix the reasons for termination. The landlord does not need to prove the reasons for this termination. Reasons for termination:
Smoke damage and improper Housekeeping"

Now, they've never been in my apartment. Or at least, if they did come in, they did so without any notifications (By everything I've found, 24 hours notice is required, except in cases of emergency, or to fulfill repair requests. If the former, they must notify me of what the emergency was, and provide the names of the people who entered).

As far as smoke damage goes, I smoked inside during my first year here, when it was permitted. I also have a woodstove that I use every winter.

I was trying to understand http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/90.427 "Termination of periodic tenancies"
1) Does not apply. I've been here for approximately 5 years.
2) " If a tenancy is a week-to-week tenancy". Does not apply. I have a year lease
3) " If a tenancy is a month-to-month tenancy:" Does not apply.
4) " If the tenancy is for a fixed term of at least one year and by its terms becomes a month-to-month tenancy after the fixed term" - Applies. After my lease ends, it defaults to month to month should I not sign a new lease or notify them that I'm moving out.

4a) " At any time during the fixed term, notwithstanding subsection (3) of this section, the landlord or the tenant may terminate the tenancy without cause by giving the other notice in writing not less than 30 days prior to the specified ending date for the fixed term or not less than 30 days prior to the date designated in the notice for the termination of the tenancy, whichever is later.".
- Seems like this doesn't apply. As my new lease doesn't expire until Next February (March 1st, I suppose)

4b) " After the specified ending date for the fixed term, at any time during the month-to-month tenancy, the landlord may terminate the tenancy without cause only by giving the tenant notice in writing not less than 60 days prior to the date designated in the notice for the termination of the tenancy."
- Does not apply as my lease hasn't rolled over to month-to-month.

Interestingly, they just launched a new website, and I noticed that they've increased the cost of rent for other units with the same floorplan. An increase of a couple of hundred$/month. Which of course, lease me wondering whether this termination isn't so they can dump me out, and bring in a new tenant for the higher monthly rate.

I've scanned other sites, trying to find information with regards to landlord lease termination, and all of them say essentially the same thing. Wording sometimes a bit different, but all pointing to the 30/60 day notifications and month to month.

So, I suppose my question is, is the lease termination legal? Is it something I could fight?
I do have plans to call the Oregon Law Center (OLC) legal aid Tenant Hotline as well as the Renter's Rights Hotline tomorrow during business hours, but thought I'd ask here.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

You have a wood fire stove that you use? That's a thing? Thank god for Texas.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

"Not less than" means "at least". I don't see why you think those sections don't apply.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kalman posted:

"Not less than" means "at least". I don't see why you think those sections don't apply.

I'm pretty sure he's saying none of the holdover provisions apply because he has a shiny new 12-month lease just signed in February.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ulmont posted:

I'm pretty sure he's saying none of the holdover provisions apply because he has a shiny new 12-month lease just signed in February.

"At any time during the fixed term, notwithstanding subsection (3) of this section, the landlord or the tenant may terminate the tenancy without cause by giving the other notice in writing not less than 30 days prior to the specified ending date for the fixed term or not less than 30 days prior to the date designated in the notice for the termination of the tenancy, whichever is later."

That doesn't look like a holdover provision.

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
Have you tried calling and asking why they think there is smoke damage and whether they put the notice on the right apartment?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kalman posted:

"At any time during the fixed term, notwithstanding subsection (3) of this section, the landlord or the tenant may terminate the tenancy without cause by giving the other notice in writing not less than 30 days prior to the specified ending date for the fixed term or not less than 30 days prior to the date designated in the notice for the termination of the tenancy, whichever is later."

That doesn't look like a holdover provision.

You're right. Sweet Jesus, that's an impressive termination for convenience clause by statute.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You have a wood fire stove that you use? That's a thing? Thank god for Texas.

That sounds awesome to have as a renter and a nightmare for a landlord unless the landlord has a side business of selling overpriced firewood in the lobby.

prestoa
Oct 5, 2012
Yes, I have a woodstove. It's fantastic in the winter to keep the heating costs down. I typically save up a bunch of junkmail/cardboard stuff over the late summer/fall to use over the course of the winter. Then just get some cheap firewood.

And the issue I'm having is it seems strange that you can sign a lease, and then a month later get a note from the landlord "haha j/k gtfo".

I also found this:
http://www.osbar.org/public/legalinfo/1246_RightsDutiesTenants.htm

"If your tenancy began more than one year ago, your landlord must give you a 60-day notice. If you have a rental agreement for a specific time period, you may not be evicted before the end of that term without a good reason."

So, the first part is true. My tenancy began more than a year ago. Which is why they gave the 60-day notice, I'm sure. Yet the second statement:
"If you have a rental agreement for a specific time period," I do. It's for 12 months.
"you may not be evicted before the end of that term without a good reason" While they gave the "smoke and improper housekeeping" reason, it specifically states "given without cause" as well. ie, without a good reason.

And yes, it was posted on the correct door. It had my name and unit number on the letter. They also mailed a copy. And the only answer I could get from them was "we saw you smoking on the balcony".

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

That sounds awesome to have as a renter and a nightmare for a landlord unless the landlord has a side business of selling overpriced firewood in the lobby.

"Hmm, how can I make this apartment as difficult to flip and as large a fire hazard as possible. Wait, I think I got it!"

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ulmont posted:

You're right. Sweet Jesus, that's an impressive termination for convenience clause by statute.

I'm having trouble parsing this to mean what you guys seem to agree that it reads as. Let's say we signed a 1-year lease that ends December 31, and the landlord has posted a letter saying "Tenancy Terminated on September 1", and posted it in May.

quote:

"At any time during the fixed term, the landlord or the tenant may terminate the tenancy without cause by giving the other notice in writing not less than 30 days prior to the specified ending date for the fixed term December 31 or not less than 30 days prior to the date designated in the notice for the termination of the tenancy September 1, whichever is later."

So for our hypothetical, out of those two dates, "30 days prior to the specified ending date for the fixed term" is later, so that requirement would govern. If we were into December when the notice was posted, then the second requirement would govern instead.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Devor posted:

I'm having trouble parsing this to mean what you guys seem to agree that it reads as. Let's say we signed a 1-year lease that ends December 31, and the landlord has posted a letter saying "Tenancy Terminated on September 1", and posted it in May.

So for our hypothetical, out of those two dates, "30 days prior to the specified ending date for the fixed term" is later, so that requirement would govern. If we were into December when the notice was posted, then the second requirement would govern instead.

Under your hypothetical, a letter posted in May would be more than (that is to say, not less than) 30 days from either possible date, so it's a moot point.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The process of being right is more important than whether or not you are right. The bottom line here is that the new owner is trying to kick you out.

They are claiming they have the right to because, either:
A) They can terminate the lease at any time for any reason (this is probably not true)
B) They can terminate the lease for cause, and you gave them cause by creating "smoke damage."

Here are your options:
1) Bend over and take it.
2) Hire a lawyer, pay the $1,500 retainer, and gently caress with them.
3) Find a tenant's advocacy group nearby that will help you.
4) Contact Legal Aid near you - this is generally the exact thing they help with.
5) Try to negotiation with them yourself > This won't work.

Here are your potential outcomes:
!)You get evicted
@) You agree to a move-out arrangement that is more favorable to one party or the other.
#) You defeat them in battle and get to stay in the apartment for the rest of your lease, at your current lease rate. If this is your net result, they will gently caress with you constantly until the end of your term.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

blarzgh posted:

The process of being right is more important than whether or not you are right. The bottom line here is that the new owner is trying to kick you out.

They are claiming they have the right to because, either:
A) They can terminate the lease at any time for any reason (this is probably not true)
B) They can terminate the lease for cause, and you gave them cause by creating "smoke damage."

With notice, in Oregon, that statute suggests that either party can terminate the lease more or less at any time.

Which is actually a pretty amazing statute for tenants for the most part, since they're typically the ones who have a harder time getting out of a lease.

But yes, practically speaking fighting this is probably not going to work out well for the dude even if he's right, because best case he spends some money and/or time to win and then he has a pissed off landlord.

UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User
A problem I'm having with finding legal assistance is I have no idea what category of law my problems fall under. What broader category would defamation fall under? If it's necessary: I was slandered at my university, resulting in my suspension for at least 14 months.

I'm talking about how these legal clinics see only certain kinds of topics.

http://www.utahlegalservices.org/ limits their topics to health care, probate, estate, unemployment comp, migrant worker, Native American law, expungement, landlord/tenant, mortgage foreclosure, domestic violence, family law, consumer problems, and government benefits, so I assume I'm out of luck there, unless "consumer problems" covers me as I was a consumer to the university that violated my rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You need a normal employment or litigation plaintiff lawyer. Good luck!