Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

make that shit sound like rock music!
Good riddance if that was an oem lever. I got renthal intellilevers on mine, they're pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

probably because you have your barkbusters and levers at ridiculous angles.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
I hate to keep bugging the thread with questions but can anyone help me with an idea of what is causing my bike to not feel responsive down low? Bike is a 2008 KTM 200XC. I've recently had the carb apart to clean out the float needle, I'm thinking I may have bumped the tang and messed up the float level. This also coincides with me filling my tank for the first time with fuel that I mixed at 44:1 without knowing what the carb is jetted for (book says 60:1 for stock, dealer said go anywhere from 40:1 to 50:1.) When I filled it, the needle got stuck causing the carb to spew gas all over until I realized it and closed the petcock. That's why I took it apart. I was thinking maybe the jetting is off but the bike feels great at mid to top end. It's not exactly bogging down low but the power delivery comes on like a truck once it hits the mid range.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Is your power valve adjusted right and not sticking?

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

No clue, to be honest I'm completely new to this stuff. I haven't had any issues with the bike up until I had to put a new tank of gas in it/took the carb apart.

e: The bike sounds off at idle, like it's struggling to maintain an idle. Would turning the mixture screw help with this or should I adjust the idle screw?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Worth a check then. I've seen em get stuck and makes em dogs on the bottom end.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

cursedshitbox posted:

That's what I would say look at too. My 200 was like an on/off switch when it hit power band but the power valve was way gummed up. Sucks but if you're going to have it all apart might as well do a top end and clean power valve out good. Was awesome after that.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
2nding the powervalve as the source of your woes.

Good bye 300 xcw, hello 450 xcw sixdays

Im really bummed that I had to sell the 300, but my neighbors were getting pretty angry with the noise and I ride for an hour or two every day. Im so much slower on the 450 compared to the 300, the guy I bought it from had it set up all retarded and having compression breaking is killing me. Every time I try to adjust the throttle mid corner I end up pushing wide or I give it more and end up picking up the front. Needs a lot of loving with.

On a lighter note, my buddy and I are learning slow wheelies. Lots of looping and involuntary supermans but its good fun. We are having the most success on my wife's 150 and at the end of the day I tried one on my bmw and dropped the gently caress out of it. Good times. I need a trials bike.

Anyone know anything about trials bieks?

P.S. WA goons, we need to get together!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

bird cooch posted:

Every time I try to adjust the throttle mid corner I end up pushing wide or I give it more and end up picking up the front. Needs a lot of loving with.

Anyone know anything about trials bieks?

For what it's worth I'm a doofus and forgot to set my sag when I got my suspension back a couple weeks ago and had similar problems. Might be worth a check!

Since my bike was out of commission last week I rode my girlfriends 250 2-stroke at Wednesday Night Moto and had the exact opposite problem. In turns the front would jackknife and tuck. Took me a good 10 laps to learn I have to hold the throttle open wayyy more on that two stroke to get the desired turning effect. You could definitely chalk up the problems to a different riding style too.

I've got my 'B' card in trials so I can try and answer any questions, but it's been 5 years now since I competed at a regional.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

bird cooch posted:

P.S. WA goons, we need to get together!

This can happen. Reach out. There's a decent group of us.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I'm finding that I have the same problem learning to jump as I did 10 years ago when I was learning to skateboard. Just gotta stop being a loving coward.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

VTNewb posted:

For what it's worth I'm a doofus and forgot to set my sag when I got my suspension back a couple weeks ago and had similar problems. Might be worth a check!

Since my bike was out of commission last week I rode my girlfriends 250 2-stroke at Wednesday Night Moto and had the exact opposite problem. In turns the front would jackknife and tuck. Took me a good 10 laps to learn I have to hold the throttle open wayyy more on that two stroke to get the desired turning effect. You could definitely chalk up the problems to a different riding style too.

I've got my 'B' card in trials so I can try and answer any questions, but it's been 5 years now since I competed at a regional.

Holey poo poo, you hit the nail on the head! I completely forgot to set up my sag, as soon as I adjusted it it was like night and day. Im still having throttle control issues after coming off a smoker. I set the bike on the lower ignition map so that I dont get the cart in front of the horse as fast. Today I got the tractor out and turned all of my berms under so I could re-work my trails. My lines are so different on the 4 stroke. Its more of a power weapon compared to the flow and inertia of the 2 strokes or the smaller 4 stroke I have had here.

I want to get into trials as a tool to make myself better at enduro stuff. We have been practicing slow billy-goat stuff and things like slow wheelies and what not but half of the time I end up on my wifes 150 4 stroke for practicing some of the slow technical skills before getting on my big bike. I have been looking at older 125s to gear way down for practice, but a trials bike would be ideal. Can you recommend a bike size to start with? Are there any GREAT books or videos that I should watch? Im going to a trials event this weekend to try and learn the lingo and see if anyone is selling bikes. Tell me everything!

Spiffness posted:

This can happen. Reach out. There's a decent group of us.

Lets go ride! hit up walker or head over to goose creek. Once I meet you guys we can talk about having a meet at my place. Im on 15 acres in the snohomish valley, I have trails, a few jumps, logs, a mud hole/ water crossing, im working on a rock garden and a few other obstacles.

Yerok posted:

I'm finding that I have the same problem learning to jump as I did 10 years ago when I was learning to skateboard. Just gotta stop being a loving coward.

Thats the hardest part man. What makes it even worse is that lack of commitment is how you get hurt.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
I'm also interested in a Wa goon meet.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I've been trying to learn Walker solo during the week the last few weeks.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
lets do it up! there's lots of places here to ride, even more if you have a plate. Im going to walker on sunday if anyone wants to join in.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Walker was a shitshow but I do miss it now :(

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Looks like Sunday at Walker is on. Email me at username @ gmail to form a specific meet up if interested.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
drat it I double book myself on sunday! Next weekend?

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Walker hurt my shoulder today but I'm down for the Saturday a week from tomorrow

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
New bike time, awww yeah.

https://youtu.be/jBnlwk1ceqI

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Can't make it to Walker, I'll be out at Riverdale tomorrow. When you take breaks you can watch the drags or the vintage race!

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Wound up buying a DR350. What is the goon recommended must wear items for trail riding?

Anything beyond helmet, goggles, gloves, boots?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Armor. At minimum elbows and knees.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
You want real MX boots. Gloves are pretty important.

Forget the helmet, just makes your head sweaty.

Edit: don't actually not wear a helmet.

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

Armor. At minimum elbows and knees.

for good cheap gear I like to use the A.R.C pro-flex knee guards and I strongly suggest this armor jacket from TMS. for $35 bucks it is totally worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Protector-Street-Motocross-Jacket/dp/B004VIA0KW

It really sucks when you have to cut a riding trip short because you lost your footing and a bike tips over and you smack your poo poo on a rock sticking up and BOOM! you're out for the rest of the season and it all could have been prevented with $60 worth of armor.

Been there with broken ribs and this jacket would have prevented it. Its much more fun to keep riding all year.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Seconding boots and knee/shin guards. Nothing sucks worse than dropping a bike on an unprotected leg or catching a log/branch/rock to the knee at speed. Boots are key. Running over your own foot is something that happens sometimes.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I have that same jacket. it holds up fine to crashing into poo poo.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

There is no minimum. One hospital bill vastly exceeds the cost of gear. Buy all of it.

~*though I really hate those armor jacket things because I sweat my balls off in them*~

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

VTNewb posted:

There is no minimum. One hospital bill vastly exceeds the cost of gear. Buy all of it.

~*though I really hate those armor jacket things because I sweat my balls off in them*~

I have one of those plus knee pads and everything else. It's amazing how much cooler and free I feel if I go for a spin with just helmet, gloves and boots. But I feel really vulnerable when I do.

Wrecked on rocky a downhill once and landed right on my forearm/elbow on a big rock. Had I not had that stupid armor jacket on I probably would have been in bad shape.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I have a Chinese 4 stroke 250cc thumper I'm trying to sell so I can buy a real dirt bike. It's been a good bike but I've been having trouble with it since I unpacked it from the winter. I'm hoping someone can give me some help troubleshooting it so I can get it out of my garage.

I drained the gas when I put it away for the winter. This spring, it wouldn't start on fresh gas so I took the carb apart and gave it a good cleaning, and the spark plug was dirty so I soaked it in vinegar overnight. The next morning I put it together again and it started up first try, and ran smoothly.

The next day I decided to fire it up again, but it ran like poo poo and had a hell of a time starting. I eventually got it to catch by applying some throttle. The idle was bouncing (what seemed to me to be) quite a bit, and the bike kept dying if I took the choke off. I turned out the idle screw, and that helped the bike warm up to the point that it settled down and idled fairly normally. To check for leaks between the carb and the engine I did a spray test with carb cleaner, and the idle isn't racing so I don't think it's that. I went and bought some NGK Sport spark plugs and threw one in to see if it was still the spark plug. It ran a bit better but still not as well as when I had just cleaned it up.

What else would you guys recommend?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Ramsus posted:

I have one of those plus knee pads and everything else. It's amazing how much cooler and free I feel if I go for a spin with just helmet, gloves and boots. But I feel really vulnerable when I do.

Wrecked on rocky a downhill once and landed right on my forearm/elbow on a big rock. Had I not had that stupid armor jacket on I probably would have been in bad shape.

I just have a chest protector with tethered shoulder pads and elbow pads. Wayy more freeflowing and dramatically cheaper than the 661 impact rig I had.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
I've been riding street for 20ish years, and I'm looking for a cheap way to try dirt with a motor (I mountain bike). Is this bike a good way to try it cheap?

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5044228023.html

I'm not afraid to wrench on it some if I need to to get it tip top, but this is a price point I can buy right now, so if it's probably a decent deal I'll go snap it up.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

predictive posted:

I've been riding street for 20ish years, and I'm looking for a cheap way to try dirt with a motor (I mountain bike). Is this bike a good way to try it cheap?

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5044228023.html

I'm not afraid to wrench on it some if I need to to get it tip top, but this is a price point I can buy right now, so if it's probably a decent deal I'll go snap it up.

Yeah, a ktm 200 would be a good start for the dirt. Not as abrupt as a 125, but still enough power to not get bored. Only thing with that bike is that new clutch cover, either the motor has been swapped or just the clutch cover is new. A newer model motor wouldn't be bad, just gotta know the year for ordering parts and all. Here's what it should look like http://georgiaoffroad.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55215

I'd try for <$1500, but judging from his ad just show up with any thing remotely close to his asking price and you'll probably get it. Sounds like he's learned the joys of selling on craigslist :v:

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

velocross posted:

Yeah, a ktm 200 would be a good start for the dirt. Not as abrupt as a 125, but still enough power to not get bored. Only thing with that bike is that new clutch cover, either the motor has been swapped or just the clutch cover is new. A newer model motor wouldn't be bad, just gotta know the year for ordering parts and all. Here's what it should look like http://georgiaoffroad.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55215

I'd try for <$1500, but judging from his ad just show up with any thing remotely close to his asking price and you'll probably get it. Sounds like he's learned the joys of selling on craigslist :v:

Thanks for the info! I'll go see if it fits in a minivan this week.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
it will, just bring tools to pull the wheels

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

bird cooch posted:

it will, just bring tools to pull the wheels

I got my 200xc-w into our Volkswagen Routan using ratchet straps to compress the suspension. It may have scuffed the headliner a bit forcing it in and out but hey, that's my wife's problem to deal with, the bike came out fine.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
I'm pretty excited about buying this:

2004 KTM 200EXC (from the ad). I paid $1600. It kickstarted fairly easily, but wouldn't idle until it ran for 3-4 minutes (not sure if that's normal for a two stroke, or if I need to clean the carb). From what I can tell it needs a brake fluid flush and bleed, and front brake pads. It has a Protaper bar and FMF full exhaust, whatever that means.

He threw in a helmet, goggles, jersey, pants, a stand, two spark plugs, an extra kickstarter arm and two bottles of oil, so I feel like it was a pretty decent deal. Now I need to go buy some boots tomorrow and ride it.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Awesome! I'm super jealous. That bike would be like $4k up here.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

predictive posted:

From what I can tell it needs a brake fluid flush and bleed, and front brake pads.

Looks like a nice clean bike! can't go wrong with a 200.

Doing those things can't hurt, but that generation of KTM is notorious for having a soft front master cylinder first thing in the morning. Some guys drive themselves crazy trying to bleed out that last little air bubble and end up buying a nissin master cylinder instead.

I don't recommend you bother swapping out master cylinders, it's not worth it. What you should do: Every morning before a ride push the caliper in with your knee to compress the caliper piston all the way, then pump the lever until the brake comes back. Wah lah a firm brake lever.

Now judging from the age of the bike, if you can't get a firm lever after bleeding and using the advice above, then you need a master cylinder rebuild kit ($35). It's just a new piston with new o-rings already installed... pretty easy to swap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

Kony Kid posted:

I don't recommend you bother swapping out master cylinders, it's not worth it. What you should do: Every morning before a ride push the caliper in with your knee to compress the caliper piston all the way, then pump the lever until the brake comes back. Wah lah a firm brake lever.

Now judging from the age of the bike, if you can't get a firm lever after bleeding and using the advice above, then you need a master cylinder rebuild kit ($35). It's just a new piston with new o-rings already installed... pretty easy to swap.

Thanks for the info! I figured since this bike is new to me it made sense to replace all of the fluids (coolant, oil, brake fluid, clutch fluid, gear oil), For some reason this year and model seem to be not all that popular and I can't find a service manual for it, do you think the procedures be close to that of the 250 EXC (I found a manual for the 2004 250 EXC)?