Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I did a quick look over the removal

commons:

same:

sunlance
arrest
narcolepsy
bone splinters
nameless inversion
burst lightning
fiery fall
tribal flames
mana leak

shifted down:

gut shot

uncommons:

same:

electrolyze
savage twister
vengeful rebirth

shifted up:

agony warp
lightning bolt
pillory of the sleepless
oblivion ring
wrecking ball
spread the sickness

I'm mostly looking at the expensive single target removal and savage twister at the same rarity.

Sunlance seems kind of standout among the common list imo.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
"What's that rare red creature from Zendikar? The one that everyone plays in modern decks? I was just thinking that would make a great reprint in the new Modern Masters set, but now I can't remember which one it was. The one that everyone wants...a red creature that is rare...and played over all eternal formats..."

"...oh you mean Hellkite Charger?"

"THANK YOU FOR REMINDING ME!"

:shrek:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Looks like a pretty cool limited environment.

Also, lol at complaints about reprints, seriously guys the first set was missing loads of crucial cards why did you expect this to be any different

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
people who buy modern masters deserve what they get :colbert:

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Looks like a pretty cool limited environment.

Also, lol at complaints about reprints, seriously guys the first set was missing loads of crucial cards why did you expect this to be any different

I hope one day they release "expensive cards:the set" and everyone will see that it does not drive prices down as much when it sucks to draft so we can finally shut up about this.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Zoness posted:

I'm mostly looking at the expensive single target removal and savage twister at the same rarity.

An uncommon sweeper (even if it is in a tricky colour combination) certainly seems like it's relevant to the format. It's probably a card you'll want to think about playing around if your opponent appears to be "flooding out"...

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Starving Autist posted:

I hope one day they release "expensive cards:the set" and everyone will see that it does not drive prices down as much when it sucks to draft so we can finally shut up about this.

I want to have literally one draft format (aside from Cube) where everyone can do ridiculous things and the typical stale draft tropes don't apply.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

So the color combination themes seem to be:

UW: Artifacts (goddamn there are a lot of cards for this deck and this deck only).
UB: -1/-1 counters/ proliferate/you draw cards and your opponents discard cards? This combination looks like just U/B good stuff
BR: Bloodthirst
GR: 5 color (uncommon Worldheart Phoenix goddamn)
GW: Tokens/convoke, and the pumping of said tokens
UR: Elemental Tribal (with uncommon Incandescent Soulstoke)
RW: Equipment/ doublestrike guys (like, there are a LOT of guys with double strike)
WB: Spirit tribal
BG: tokens/sacking creatures
GU: +1/+1 counters/Proliferate

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 8, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
tentative list for FTV: Goblins

Goblin Recruiter
Goblin Matron
Goblin Ringleader
Siege-Gang Commander
Goblin Grenade
Clickslither
Patriarch's Bidding
Gempalm Incinerator
Goblin Lackey
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
Zo-Zu, the Punisher
Ben-Ben, Akki Hermit
Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
Aether Vial
Goblin Game
Facevaulter
Marsh Flitter
(and of course the entry from zendikar:)
Warren Instigator

But joking aside it's hilarious if you think goblin guide would have been anything but mythic.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Goblin Guide would make zero sense at mythic.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Goblin Guide would make zero sense in a draft set.

:agreed:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Boco_T posted:

TCG Mid on Serum Visions is $7.75 right now, so I figure it'll get to $10 soon enough.
I certainly hope so. A friend of mine gave me 2 playsets when I offhandedly mentioned I needed some.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So based on some rough calculations, assuming big ticket cards don't drop hugely and counting bulk rares no one actually wants as being worth $0, your average value for a pack's rare is about 6 or 7 bucks, but your median case is in the dollar-bin. Mythic is stacked, but there's only about 8/53 rares worth more than the price of the pack. You have a decent chance of opening money and an excellent chance of opening bulk. The set is really polarized in value.

Your average case is probably a little better value than your usual block set pack, it's just that the buy in price is higher. I.e. it's still true that you don't crack packs for value. As has been true for every set always, ever, and will continue to be true for every set in the future. This should not be a surprise.

Of course I'm not accounting for foils at all, or money uncommons like Remand.

Looks super fun to draft though. I can't wait to play with Proliferate again.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

To be fair Serum Visions only spiked in 2014, by which point they'd probably already finished making the set.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Aren't all sets a draft set?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

To be fair Serum Visions only spiked in 2014, by which point they'd probably already finished making the set.

I mean that's essentially also true for goblin guide for July 2014 if you think $10 was reasonable.

Sickening posted:

Aren't all sets a draft set?

Can you really call AVR a draft set tho

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Entropic posted:

Mythic is stacked, but there's only about 8/53 rares worth more than the price of the pack.

I count Twin, Cryptic, Noble, Fulminator, Wilt-Leaf, Leyline, and Spellskite. What's the last one?

Edit: All is Dust and Daybreak Coronet are both over $10 I see. I guess that makes 9.

Edit: There really should be some comical sad music that plays every time someone opens a Mythic in MM15 and it's Comet Storm.

qbert fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 8, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

qbert posted:

I count Twin, Cryptic, Noble, Fulminator, Wilt-Leaf, Leyline, and Spellskite. What's the last one?

Edit: There really should be some comical sad music that plays every time someone opens a Mythic in MM15 and it's Comet Storm.
Blinkmoth Nexus

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

qbert posted:

I count Twin, Cryptic, Noble, Fulminator, Wilt-Leaf, and Spellskite. What are the other two?

Creakwood is >$10. Blinkmoth, hierarch, Coronet, Hurkyl's are all at 10 or above.

The only cards I'm really sad about are Visions, Mindcensor, Probe, and Path.

Edit: ok fine Inquisition, Blood Moon, Helix, Vial, Crucible, Bridge, Auriok Champion and Glimpse.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

qbert posted:

sadtrombone.midi

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Creakwood is >$10. Blinkmoth, hierarch, Coronet, Hurkyl's are all at 10 or above.

The only cards I'm really sad about are Visions, Mindcensor, Probe, and Path.

Hurkyl's is only $10 for 10E or AQ, 5E Hurkyl's is like $5.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

qbert posted:

Edit: All is Dust and Daybreak Coronet are both over $10 I see. I guess that makes 9.

They need a packaged together speaker-card which plays the Price Is Right's "You Fail" horns whenever you open one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Yawgmoth posted:

sadtrombone.midi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJxCdh1Ps48

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Zoness posted:

Hurkyl's is only $10 for 10E or AQ, 5E Hurkyl's is like $5.

Hurkyl's on MTGO is up there I think.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Yawgmoth posted:

sadtrombone.midi

That's exactly what I was thinking of.

Is there seriously no 2nd Mythic level Red money card in Modern?

Edit: Could they have reprinted Blood Moon or Magus of the Moon or Through the Breech?

qbert fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 8, 2015

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

They should have had Lightning Bolt at both Uncommon and Mythic.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I hope that people's disappointment doesn't slow down preregistration at GPLV :ohdear: I want them to hit 9k so I can be activated!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

qbert posted:

That's exactly what I was thinking of.

Is there seriously no 2nd Mythic level Red money card in Modern?

Edit: Could they have reprinted Blood Moon or Magus of the Moon or Through the Breech?

What they should have done is either a) switch Splinter Twin with Comet Storm to reduce the feel-bad, or b) omit Comet Storm entirely and put Koth in his spot since its much less of a feel bad to open a Planeswalker than it is to open a loving Comet Storm.

I mean, the third option is print better red cards, but red's color identity has been burn and burn harder for a long time.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 8, 2015

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Goblin Guide may show up in Battle For Zendikar right?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Someone make a gallery of new art TIA.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

If you're drafting this set you should probably avoid playing Black like the plague since it looks like total garbage.

It really looks unplayable.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 8, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Dohaeris posted:

Goblin Guide may show up in Battle For Zendikar right?

Yes 100% chance no problem will happen for sure place your preorders now

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
All the talk about box EV right now is pointless. Yes a spellskite is $18 today or whatever but the buylist on them will be at most $4-5 come release time.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Starving Autist posted:

Putting Serum Visions or Koth or Damnation in this set instead of whatever other absolute jank would truly be the dagger in the back of having a fun set to draft.

I guess that's not literally what you said but I'm tired of people excluding the middle when it comes to things like this.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Also PAX party is in the annex this year instead of the club it's usually at :lol: Feeling less bad I wasn't around for the millisecond that tickets were available.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

JerryLee posted:

Putting Serum Visions or Koth or Damnation in this set instead of whatever other absolute jank would truly be the dagger in the back of having a fun set to draft.

I guess that's not literally what you said but I'm tired of people excluding the middle when it comes to things like this.

I'd be more sympathetic to the "draft environment!" claim if there was more than like 1 week of being able to draft it, with 95% of the players just playing the Tarmogoyf lottery to begin with.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Goblin guide isn't in the set cuz he's about to get banned you heard it here first. :mrgw:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Goblin guide isn't in the set cuz he's about to get banned you heard it here first. :mrgw:

This but serum visions

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Zoness posted:

This but serum visions

This but Deceiver Exarch/Pestermite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

JerryLee posted:

The middle isn't excluded, it's what we're getting. A set with some expensive reprints, a lot of cheap crap, and it's probably fun to draft. I dunno about you but in a high powered limited format i'm not that excited about putting Goblin Guide in my draft set and I'm glad they're prioritizing limited over just making the set just be the 250 most expensive modern cards.

• Locked thread