Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Voyager I posted:

When you talk like this you make it sound like you think Bernie actually has a measurable chance of winning either the candidacy or the election. As much as I agree with his rhetoric, we know this isn't going to happen.

Bernie not having a chance doesn't make Hillary a good candidate, it's just another reason to drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Under the vegetable posted:

That's not what I'm doing at all, but sure. Misrepresenting your opposition is very appropriate in a politics thread i guess.

No one thinks Hillary will be worse than the Republican candidates. She will, if she gets in, however, be almost as bad.

See it's stuff like this that is ridiculous. I'm definitely sure things will be measurably worse if republicans control the Senate the house the presidency and they also get to pick a couple of supreme court nominations

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

That's not what I'm doing at all, but sure. Misrepresenting your opposition is very appropriate in a politics thread i guess.

No one thinks Hillary will be worse than the Republican candidates. She will, if she gets in, however, be almost as bad.

Excuse me. But for lgbt rights basically she's a million times better than any republican. Excuse us for caring about being treated equal

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

"Man, Hillary and Bush, geez, they're both the same, man. I don't even know why I'm going to vote now that Bernie is out of the race." - a person who doesn't realize how bad things can get

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Excuse me. But for lgbt rights basically she's a million times better than any republican. Excuse us for caring about being treated equal

I said almost as bad. I also fall under the lgbt umbrella. Excuse me for being a cocksucker who wants the best overall candidate for his country.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Zelder posted:

"Man, Hillary and Bush, geez, they're both the same, man. I don't even know why I'm going to vote now that Bernie is out of the race." - a person who doesn't realize how bad things can get

*next Scalia is sworn in*

At least my conscience is clear :smug:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

An indictment on the candidate or an indictment on the system?

An indictment on the system's influence on the candidate? As someone already posted, I think a focus on a person's platform years ago is not really a good way to decide future performance. Environmental pressures inherent in any position is much more likely to mold someone's outlook than what they may have said out loud previously. There are huge exceptions here of course, but the most reliable means of influencing Clinton's positions are by making them as necessary as possible.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I don't think you're a cocksucker, I think you're saying something that everyone accepts (Bernie is a better candidate than Hillary, and would make an awesome president), leaving out one part (but because of the lack of name recognition, moneyed support, and support from the general DNC machine, he will not be getting the nomination), and then just being overly aggressive and dickish while making the same point over and over again.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Your sentence contradicts itself.

Do you earnestly think that Obama has done what McCain; by all means a centrist compared to the current Republican line up, would have done?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

If McCain was president, hell, I'd probably be currently fighting in Iran. And I'm not even in the military!

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Venom Snake posted:

Your sentence contradicts itself.

Do you earnestly think that Obama has done what McCain; by all means a centrist compared to the current Republican line up, would have done?

"Bomb, Bomb, Bomb Iran" is centrist?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
President Paul will keep your phone records safe from King Joffrey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tGXUoWExB8

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

I seriously don't get what's so hard about this.

Go ahead and vote for Bernie in the primary. There are nowhere near enough Bernie fans out there to legitimately threaten Hillary in the primary, but there might be just enough to create a buzz around some of his positions. There's a nonzero chance that such a buzz will prompt Hillary to pick up on some of those positions, though whether or not that would be just hot air and pandering remains to be seen.

In the overwhelmingly likely event that Hillary wins the primary, vote for her over whatever lunatic the GOP puts up because no matter how far right you think Hillary is she's far to the left of any republican on many issues and SCOTUS seats are at stake.

Strategic voting, what a concept!

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 8, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

I said almost as bad. I also fall under the lgbt umbrella. Excuse me for being a cocksucker who wants the best overall candidate for his country.

The problem isn't that you want Bernie, because everyone in the thread wants Bernie. The problem is that you're being a huge rear end in a top hat to everyone who accepts the obvious reality that we can't have Bernie.

EDIT: to be clear, being frustrated that Hillary is the best we can get is okay. Being a fucker that people are going to vote for her because she's still going to be the best candidate in the general is not.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

*Votes for Nader*
*Loses child in Iraq*

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 8, 2015

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Spun Dog posted:

McCain was never a centrist in a "has many positions that are middle-of-the-road" sense, but was considered a centrist in a "has some positions that are far to one side and some positions that are far to the other side" sense.

McCain (c.2008) better on environmentalism, immigration, native rights, scientific apportionment and a few other things than many (c. 2008) Democrats. Many respected him for McCain-Feingold.

Meanwhile, he was worse on foreign policy and various culture-wars issues than many (c. 2008) Republicans.

The radicalization of the Republican Party since then obviously changes this dynamic.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 8, 2015

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Hope for the Bern, prepare the Hill-dawg

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

PupsOfWar posted:

McCain was never a centrist in a "has many positions that are middle-of-the-road" sense, but was considered a centrist in a "has some positions that are far to one side and some positions that are far to the other side" sense.

McCain (c.2008) better on environmentalism, immigration, native rights, scientific apportionment and a few other things than many (c. 2008) Democrats. Many respected him for McCain-Feingold.

Meanwhile, he was worse on foreign policy and various culture-wars issues than many (c. 2008) Republicans.

The radicalization of the Republican Party since then obviously changes this dynamic.

OK, I'll accept that in a "We're through the looking glass already" context he could be considered moderate.

P.S. "Just build the danged fence!"

Spun Dog fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 8, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I seriously don't get what's so hard about this.

Go ahead and vote for Bernie in the primary. There are nowhere near enough Bernie fans out there to legitimately threaten Hillary in the primary, but there might be just enough to create a buzz around some of his positions. There's a nonzero chance that such a buzz will prompt Hillary to pick up on some of those positions, though whether or not that would be just hot air and pandering remains to be seen.

In the overwhelmingly likely event that Hillary wins the primary, vote for her over whatever lunatic the GOP puts up because no matter how far right you think Hillary is she's far to the left of any republican on many issues and SCOTUS seats are at stake.

We aren't allowed to empty quote, right?

I expect Bernie will be out by the time our primary rolls around, but yeah. He's gonna get my vote then because his infrastructure proposal is good for my family and his VA plan is good for me. Hopefully Hillary will grab those since both are in line with mainstream Dem opinion.

Then I'm going to bust my rear end day in and day out to make sure Hillary wins and Bush doesn't get within a thousand miles of the White House.

People grumbling about "Bill was practically a republican!" Are ignoring that no, Bill was absolutely nothing like the GOP. After the Oklahoma City Bombing the GOP tried to push through the ideas that make up the Patriot Act and Bill killed it dead. When they got their second bite at the apple they went with it and then used it to literally sent death squads to kidnap and kill people in the dead of night, and the kidnapped ones were sent without trial to a secret torture dungeon where we were raping people to death. You think the brother of the man who did that won't bring it back? When he has flat out said his brother is advising him on Middle East issues? Drones are a loving mercy compared to what Bush did.

Whining "oh but she's just as corporatist as Bush" ignores what was really going on and where the threats lie.

Work the primary to push the party where you want it. That's what the primary is for, to sort out the candidates that will beat represent you. But don't ever forget what is really at stake here.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The reason poo poo is so hosed is that the Democrats are somewhat centrist, but the Republicans are so insanely far to the right the gulf between them is huge.

Spun Dog posted:

They key word is "comparatively"

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Voyager I posted:

The problem isn't that you want Bernie, because everyone in the thread wants Bernie. The problem is that you're being a huge rear end in a top hat to everyone who accepts the obvious reality that we can't have Bernie.

EDIT: to be clear, being frustrated that Hillary is the best we can get is okay. Being a fucker that people are going to vote for her because she's still going to be the best candidate in the general is not.

*Votes for Nader*
*Loses child in Iraq*

I'm unironically ronpauling for Bernie because it's going to take that to get him to win the nomination. I'm not concerned about my reputation as an electoral prognosticator and I don't understand this "well I'm going to vote for him in the primary like everyone around me because we all agree he's the better candidate but by god he will LOSE this thing" attitude.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

jarofpiss posted:

I'm unironically ronpauling for Bernie because it's going to take that to get him to win the nomination. I'm not concerned about my reputation as an electoral prognosticator and I don't understand this "well I'm going to vote for him in the primary like everyone around me because we all agree he's the better candidate but by god he will LOSE this thing" attitude.

It's called "having any sense of American politics and knowing that Sanders isn't going to win enough delegates to get nominated."

Or, the shorter version: not being insane and/or a moron.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

jarofpiss posted:

Believing harder in something that will not happen doesn't make you better than other people.

Pouring everything into a Bernie campaign because making it more successful puts more pressure on Hillary to respect some of the espoused positions is one thing, but I doubt even Sanders expects anything more from his campaign than that.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Fried Chicken posted:

Work the primary to push the party where you want it. That's what the primary is for, to sort out the candidates that will beat represent you. But don't ever forget what is really at stake here.

Primary contests aren't for allowing people insight and input into the candidates' positions, nor are they meant to allow us to collectively by our vote choose the one that best represents us (in a compromise). They're a dog-and-pony show put on by the oligarchs to allow the proles the illusion of influence and choice. I'm a bit baffled if Bernie is sincere in his belief that entering the contest for the Democratic nomination will have much meaning.

Indeed, and especially as far as the Democratic Party is concerned, the primary is never to be considered a place to have a robust debate (unless, as in 2008, it is politically expedient to have pretend robustness, as if Hillary and Obama were substantially different*). For example, we continuously see today, almost 40 years after the fact, gnashing of teeth over the Kennedy/Carter primary. It's similar to how the party hand-wringers ring the klaxons and gush tears over McGovern or Nader anytime anybody suggests we ought to consider putting up a fight backing an actual left-of-center candidate instead of just vomiting out whatever moderate right-winger pretending to be a centrist stands a chance of beating the whackjobs in the Republican party. In fairness, if the goal is merely to win elections in the politics equivalent of a pissing contest that's not a bad strategy; if the goal is to actually get policy that is good, it's asinine.

The landscape today is far different from what it was in 2008. Then Hillary and Barack were both acceptable to the establishment; hell in many ways they were desirable. Today there is no way in hell Bernie is an acceptable candidate for the people who actually hold power. We'll see if he's able to accomplish anything, but I wouldn't cleave to any hopes were I a Bernie supporter.

* One thing that always baffled me back then, as an Obama supporter, in these forums and others, was how people actually thought there was significant space between Hillary and Barack, or that somehow Barack was an anti-establishment "insurgent" candidate that the oligarch-backers-of-Hillary would hate to see nominated.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Kalman posted:

It's called "having any sense of American politics and knowing that Sanders isn't going to win enough delegates to get nominated."

The true path to a better world is defeatism.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Feather posted:

Primary contests aren't for allowing people insight and input into the candidates' positions, nor are they meant to allow us to collectively by our vote choose the one that best represents us (in a compromise). They're a dog-and-pony show put on by the oligarchs to allow the proles the illusion of influence and choice.

It's strange then that the proles don't actually vote or pay attention to the primaries.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Feather posted:

Primary contests aren't for allowing people insight and input into the candidates' positions, nor are they meant to allow us to collectively by our vote choose the one that best represents us (in a compromise). They're a dog-and-pony show put on by the oligarchs to allow the proles the illusion of influence and choice. I'm a bit baffled if Bernie is sincere in his belief that entering the contest for the Democratic nomination will have much meaning.

This sort of oligarchical overlord conspiracy overlooks the fact that the kind of people with the ambition to go for the presidency tend to not be so great at things like sharing power and keeping their egos in check.

taqueso posted:

Voting idealism over pragmatism sure worked great in 2000 and the world is definitely a better place because of it.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 8, 2015

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Kalman posted:

You understand that campaigning for this man as a lost cause isn't much of a motivating strategy, right? Like going out and talking to people and explaining his positions and then closing with a "by the way he won't be elected so don't be an insane moron and think he will be" is kind of dumb. I understand this shitbag forum feeds on cynicism and a need to be always right, but there is a place for real idealism in this stage of his campaign and it's poisonous to stand at the starting line telling everyone it's not worth running the race.

Post whatever you want in this forum I guess, but if you plan on pulling the lever for Bernie in the primary have the decency to have a little optimism when you're talking to people who don't waste their time arguing about this poo poo with goons.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

While we're at it, vote in every primary you are legally able to, not just in presidential primaries. Also be sure to vote in local podunk races and off-year municipal elections where like 700 people bother to show up and drag those leftward with your much less diluted ballot.

What you shouldn't do is volunteer and get all amped up for Saint Bernie only to pout and stamp your feet and swear off politics and the Democratic Party when he more than likely does not make it past Super Tuesday. This does less than no good because it gives Hillary the cover to reach rightward since the left base is obviously a bunch of worthless babies who can't be counted on for anything.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Legit do not give presidential candidates more than a few hundred dollars. There's a reason the law only allows so much during the primary and during the general. The lawmakers knew about mental disabilities that led people to give everything they ever earned to get their little lord elected.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
On the other hand, I'm going to give the max to HRC :sun:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I think some people just need to accept that you can't vote away capitalism. There is no means aside from waiting for some form of societal collapse to begin fundamentally changing the system, not even Bernie could do much more than Hillary in that regard should he win.

We are all going to die under the same hierarchical system we were born under, it's not going away in our generation, and taken in that context Hillary isn't so bad.

Get excited for Bernie but at least respect the man's beliefs and be positive rather than negatively try to tear Hillary down.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Wheeee posted:

I think some people just need to accept that you can't vote away capitalism. There is no means aside from waiting for some form of societal collapse to begin fundamentally changing the system, not even Bernie could do much more than Hillary in that regard should he win.

We are all going to die under the same hierarchical system we were born under, it's not going away in our generation, and taken in that context Hillary isn't so bad.

Get excited for Bernie but at least respect the man's beliefs and be positive rather than negatively try to tear Hillary down.

this sounds like a better argument for accelerationism than voting for hillary

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Feather posted:

I'm a bit baffled if Bernie is sincere in his belief that entering the contest for the Democratic nomination will have much meaning.

One possibility would be that the guy with 25 years of national-level political experience knows something about the actual workings of the primary process that you don't.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

jarofpiss posted:

this sounds like a better argument for accelerationism than voting for hillary

I agree, taking away what little the working classes have is truly the path towards a better tomorrow.

Like are your two choices "literally ronpauling for Bernie" or "gently caress it, a better society will rise from the ashes"?

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Voyager I posted:

I agree, taking away what little the working classes have is truly the path towards a better tomorrow.

Like are your two choices "literally ronpauling for Bernie" or "gently caress it, a better society will rise from the ashes"?

i'm not an accelerationist, i was pointing out his defeatism wrt voting.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Voyager I posted:

Voting idealism over pragmatism sure worked great in 2000 and the world is definitely a better place because of it.

Did you vote for Bill Bradley?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

jarofpiss posted:

i'm not an accelerationist, i was pointing out his defeatism wrt voting.

I just want to reiterate that believing harder doesn't make you a better person than a pragmatist unless we discover a philosopher's stone that transmutes idealism into political change.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

taqueso posted:

That's right you should never come to conclusions based on evidence

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

jarofpiss posted:

You understand that campaigning for this man as a lost cause isn't much of a motivating strategy, right? Like going out and talking to people and explaining his positions and then closing with a "by the way he won't be elected so don't be an insane moron and think he will be" is kind of dumb. I understand this shitbag forum feeds on cynicism and a need to be always right, but there is a place for real idealism in this stage of his campaign and it's poisonous to stand at the starting line telling everyone it's not worth running the race.

Post whatever you want in this forum I guess, but if you plan on pulling the lever for Bernie in the primary have the decency to have a little optimism when you're talking to people who don't waste their time arguing about this poo poo with goons.

You keep posting the same thing over and over again. Nobody here honestly likes HRC more than Bernie, you are arguing with someone who does not exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
Ronpauling can only lead to heartbreak and bitterness. Learn to see the gourmet mustard on the poo poo sandwich. It will be amazing how some people are going to lose their poo poo over Clinton and even more amazing to watch her go full metal Nixon on those shitfuckers in Congress.

Also, don't forget that Clarence Thomas was appointed in 1991. He is only 66 years old. He will probably be there another 20 years. It only took GHWB one term to leave us that turd.

• Locked thread